NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by DFP » 17 Dec 2020, 6:46 pm

Adzy wrote:Are we seeing a pattern here ? I mean seriously, what is the point of these long delays ? Our license is in the system, we have to wait the required time anyway longer is not going to deter our application as it’s already done. All it does is frustrate and damage the businesses that rely on new shooters to purchase Firearms and ammunition. Maybe it’s the plan to try to damage the businesses and therefore the whole Shooting industry viability ?

Attrition?
DFP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 20 Dec 2020, 1:00 pm

9 months 20 days and counting still not authorized
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dirk Diggler » 20 Dec 2020, 7:35 pm

Cmr83 wrote:9 months 20 days and counting still not authorized

9 months and 9 days.....and despairing
Dirk Diggler
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DFP » 21 Dec 2020, 9:11 am

I've already thought about contacting the ombudsman.
DFP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 23 Dec 2020, 8:42 am

Mine took 4 months to receive acceptance. Write a letter to your MP and get them to forward to the State Police Minister in your state.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by targetshooter900 » 24 Dec 2020, 10:29 am

Dirk Diggler wrote:

9 months and 9 days.....and despairing

My mate is also at 9 months.
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JEL93 » 01 Jan 2021, 12:47 am

Was hoping for a New Years surprise but not joy!! 4 months now. No where near as long as some of you blokes but still 2 months longer than my mate who applied same day
JEL93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 03 Jan 2021, 9:39 am

Hi all. I have been following you guys for a while trying to get an idea of how long the process takes. I’m at the final step now but just to let you know, as my Intention is to target shoot, I joined the SSAA and did a training course at safari in Sydney. Course was done 8th May, joined SSAA 12th May, submitted application to services 13th May, licence letter from FAR dated 18th May. Licence finally became valid on the 2nd December. I received the licence around the 8th December. I applied for 2 cat A PTA’s on the 5th December as soon as services would allow. I understand there is the 28 day cooling off period and yesterday was the 28th day. I’m hoping that tomorrow being a Monday and the 30th day that the status will change but who knows. Meanwhile I have 2 rifles on lay-by and was hoping to go to the range before I’m back at work on the 11th but this seems unlikely unless I get PTA’s in the mail this Friday 8th. It’s been an incredibly long wait and very frustrating. I guess you could say it’s been 9 months to get my licence and that’s without any frigging around by me. I phoned the registry around 4 times throughout the process and they referred me to the dashboard. I asked why on average processing times were listed as 70 day’s yet mine had been more like 270 days!! They said, some people have been waiting 10 months, to which I replied “well there must have been some extremely fast processing times to bring the average down to 70 days...” there were a couple of emails along the way where they asked for information I had already given them. I have a feeling that when that happens, they put your application at the bottom of the pile again. Anyway, that’s my experience and hope it is over soon.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 04 Jan 2021, 4:37 pm

Lsfan wrote:Hi all. I have been following you guys for a while trying to get an idea of how long the process takes. I’m at the final step now but just to let you know, as my Intention is to target shoot, I joined the SSAA and did a training course at safari in Sydney. Course was done 8th May, joined SSAA 12th May, submitted application to services 13th May, licence letter from FAR dated 18th May. Licence finally became valid on the 2nd December. I received the licence around the 8th December. I applied for 2 cat A PTA’s on the 5th December as soon as services would allow. I understand there is the 28 day cooling off period and yesterday was the 28th day. I’m hoping that tomorrow being a Monday and the 30th day that the status will change but who knows. Meanwhile I have 2 rifles on lay-by and was hoping to go to the range before I’m back at work on the 11th but this seems unlikely unless I get PTA’s in the mail this Friday 8th. It’s been an incredibly long wait and very frustrating. I guess you could say it’s been 9 months to get my licence and that’s without any frigging around by me. I phoned the registry around 4 times throughout the process and they referred me to the dashboard. I asked why on average processing times were listed as 70 day’s yet mine had been more like 270 days!! They said, some people have been waiting 10 months, to which I replied “well there must have been some extremely fast processing times to bring the average down to 70 days...” there were a couple of emails along the way where they asked for information I had already given them. I have a feeling that when that happens, they put your application at the bottom of the pile again. Anyway, that’s my experience and hope it is over soon.

Wow , I submitted my license on the 26th October 2020 and I check the portal every day. I don’t think it’s worth wasting my time calling them as they seem to be following a predetermined process and more than doubling the 28 day wait for first time license holders . I have already renewed my club membership in advance because it is better to be ahead of any obstacles, then there’s another “28 day “ wait for a PTA . Makes me more determined to get involved in the political fight for our future.
I am ready to place orders with my local dealer and help the economy keep going but the Government seems to careless about businesses and economic impediments they cause .
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 04 Jan 2021, 5:29 pm

I phoned them today to ask what’s happening with my pta’s as today is day 30. The girl said they have been recommended for approval and there are no problems so I should expect the issue today or tomorrow. Hasn’t happened today. I agree that calling them does nothing. I had a few emails from them during the process where I would reply immediately and then they would respond a week later. I do get the feeling they hope people will give up.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by big matt » 05 Jan 2021, 6:09 am

mine took 4 months to come through....
big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 05 Jan 2021, 6:49 am

My PTA’s are now in the issued status so let’s see how long postage takes.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 05 Jan 2021, 8:36 am

The more you hound NSW FAR, the longer it will take. The system is in place to delay as long as possible, maybe in the hope that the applicant will become disillusioned.
Who knows. But if this post is helping you vent your frustration and anger, then well and good, but it will not speed up the process. Inside info tells me that here in NSW, in the next few months, it will be harder and possibly take longer to get a licence let alone a PTA, vetting will probably be significantly more in depth and this alone may well elongate the waiting process. All I can say from my point of view, is that you will just have to have more patience. Writing to your local MP will just get you lip service, ringing FAR, again will just get you lip service.
We will just have to wait and see.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 05 Jan 2021, 6:51 pm

Can you advise on the veracity of this advice ? What reason do they have ? Too many new people applying for their first license? It’s time for the SSAA and all the other representatives to get together Politically and cause these people problems at the next election.
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 06 Jan 2021, 10:08 am

Can't reveal my sources, suffice to say the source is very close to those in control. The problems in NSW stem from the proverbial s**t hitting the fan from the Edwards coronial enquiry, the head of FAR at the time being suspected of having a hidden agenda against firearms/owners, (not proven to be fair), inadequate training of FAR staff,
insufficient staff numbers to handle the processing of all applications in a timely manner. Hence FAR was shifted back to Parramatta for closer scrutiny which resulted a far more slower processing time.
My own opinion is that it will get worse before it gets better (if ever). The scuttlebutt around is that in maybe 10 years time there may be no handguns in NSW, maybe Australia as there is a certain element in Government that would like to see Australia go the way the UK went after the Dunblane incident, no more handguns to the public.
I may be, at the present time, be drawing a long bow, and I sure hope I am wrong BUT it is up to you and others to take up the protest via political circles, no good complaining on forums like this as the powers that be most probably are not interested in our forum (shame as they just might learn something constructive).
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 06 Jan 2021, 10:59 am

Wouldnt surprise me, I look at my club pictures from back in the 60's and the average age was probably mid 20's. Now many young people just cant wait the 2+ years required to get a Cat H license. Hence average age is probably into the late 40's if not 50's; dying sport.

It would be a shame to lose our sporting shorter rights. At the next election let's ensure the relevant parties maintain some control in the upper house.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 06 Jan 2021, 11:47 am

For everyone that had to wait so long to get their licence (including me) I wonder how many people phoned and/ or sent emails expressing their frustration. I know I did, because it made no sense as to why with absolutely no history with the law (other than 1 speeding fine in 28 years of driving) why it would take so long to do background checks on me. In one phone call I even asked if they were delaying approval simply because I enquired. The girl on the phone laughed, but I believe this is likely the case, which is consistent with what bugman said earlier.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 06 Jan 2021, 12:55 pm

Lsfan wrote:For everyone that had to wait so long to get their licence (including me) I wonder how many people phoned and/ or sent emails expressing their frustration. I know I did, because it made no sense as to why with absolutely no history with the law (other than 1 speeding fine in 28 years of driving) why it would take so long to do background checks on me. In one phone call I even asked if they were delaying approval simply because I enquired. The girl on the phone laughed, but I believe this is likely the case, which is consistent with what bugman said earlier.

I doubt that would be the case. Simply a big workload, under resourced and they are under heavy scrutiny which means sloooow.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 06 Jan 2021, 1:20 pm

Tubs wrote:
Lsfan wrote:For everyone that had to wait so long to get their licence (including me) I wonder how many people phoned and/ or sent emails expressing their frustration. I know I did, because it made no sense as to why with absolutely no history with the law (other than 1 speeding fine in 28 years of driving) why it would take so long to do background checks on me. In one phone call I even asked if they were delaying approval simply because I enquired. The girl on the phone laughed, but I believe this is likely the case, which is consistent with what bugman said earlier.

I doubt that would be the case. Simply a big workload, under resourced and they are under heavy scrutiny which means sloooow.

But then how do you explain how I can apply in May and get approval in December yet several people on here were approved within 3 or 4 months over the same period? How did they jump the queue?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jan 2021, 1:25 pm

You are simply dealing with public servants. What they don't get done today doesn't matter to them, the next lot of paperwork just gets dumped on top and they work at their own pace.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 06 Jan 2021, 2:12 pm

Gamerancher wrote:You are simply dealing with public servants. What they don't get done today doesn't matter to them, the next lot of paperwork just gets dumped on top and they work at their own pace.

Yep. That is it in a nutshell.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 06 Jan 2021, 4:21 pm

Alot are probably still working at home also...
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 09 Jan 2021, 6:28 pm

Just renewed my SSAA membership for another year still processing my app. That was a waist of one years membership!!!
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 09 Jan 2021, 6:43 pm

Cmr83 wrote:Just renewed my SSAA membership for another year still processing my app. That was a waist of one years membership!!!

I don’t mind the scrutiny I just wish they would make their move if they intend to reject my application so I can start the formal appeals process. I did get into a little bit of trouble as a teen but I’m 37 now and haven’t even had so much as a parking ticket in decades but I think my app is being held up because the guy who filled out my permission to shoot form on his farm got busted with drugs I had no idea about this until his parents told me I’m pretty sure that is holding up my whole application.
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 09 Jan 2021, 8:19 pm

Cmr83 wrote:
Cmr83 wrote:Just renewed my SSAA membership for another year still processing my app. That was a waist of one years membership!!!

I don’t mind the scrutiny I just wish they would make their move if they intend to reject my application so I can start the formal appeals process. I did get into a little bit of trouble as a teen but I’m 37 now and haven’t even had so much as a parking ticket in decades but I think my app is being held up because the guy who filled out my permission to shoot form on his farm got busted with drugs I had no idea about this until his parents told me I’m pretty sure that is holding up my whole application.

Man that sucks! Mine took 7 months and they mentioned some people taking 10 months. Did you make any complaints by phone or email? Just wondering if this had something to do with it.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 11 Jan 2021, 11:27 am

Lsfan wrote:
Cmr83 wrote:

Man that sucks! Mine took 7 months and they mentioned some people taking 10 months. Did you make any complaints by phone or email? Just wondering if this had something to do with it.

No complaints but I did ring them months ago and they said it was with the adjudication team but the was like 9 months ago.
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DFP » 26 Jan 2021, 8:00 pm

I guess patience is a virtue.
DFP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Adzy » 28 Jan 2021, 4:23 pm

3 months and still waiting !
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DFP » 28 Jan 2021, 6:34 pm

Adzy wrote:3 months and still waiting !

Wait until you're almost at a year....
DFP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cmr83 » 28 Jan 2021, 9:36 pm

My mate and I lodged our applications on the 3/03/2020 he had his licence approved on 19/12/2020 and I’m still waiting
Cmr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws