First kill

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: First kill

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Jan 2021, 10:11 am

Oldbloke wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:The advice from the WA government covers shooting and trapping.

https://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/images/docum ... e_2017.pdf

Lol. The bit that recommends shooting them must be in invisible ink.

On the second page under Population Controls, it talks about shooting and trapping. It states that shooting is ineffective, which is interesting and the license requirements to do so later in the document.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 07 Jan 2021, 10:24 am

Oldbloke wrote:

your ignorance of nuances in the laws is astounding.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 07 Jan 2021, 10:26 am

Timboon wrote:I wasn't going to bother replying as I can see many are getting their knickers in a knot...

You are all assuming the eradication of the said species was done illegally!

So it's guilty until proven innocent around here.

IMO they are right up there with cats and foxes as far as pleasure goes.
I love watching a ewe about to lamb and a crow sitting nearby ready to peck the eyes out of the lamb as soon as it's head appears.
That's when they ain't concentrating on the scope that's pointed in their direction.

law states that outside of the southwest and eucla districts (of which you were) a permit is required. posting it online like look at me I'm so pro, yet no mention of legally obtaining the correct authority to eradicate the alleged pest is asking for this kind of reaction.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2021, 10:58 am

Ziege wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

your ignorance of nuances in the laws is astounding. :allegedly: .

I fixed it for you. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Timboon » 07 Jan 2021, 11:28 am

Appreciate the advice.

I apologise if my post comes across ignorant.

I'm not here condoning illegal activities.

I'm well aware that the minority can ruin things for the majority.
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 07 Jan 2021, 11:48 am

Ziege wrote:
Timboon wrote:I wasn't going to bother replying as I can see many are getting their knickers in a knot...

I love watching a ewe about to lamb and a crow sitting nearby ready to peck the eyes out of the lamb as soon as it's head appears.
That's when they ain't concentrating on the scope that's pointed in their direction.

law states that outside of the southwest and eucla districts (of which you were) a permit is required. posting it online like look at me I'm so pro, yet no mention of legally obtaining the correct authority to eradicate the alleged pest is asking for this kind of reaction.

What district does the Geraldton area fall into, because on some maps (7 districts) it falls into the SWLD but on the 9 district maps it doesnt?
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 07 Jan 2021, 11:51 am

Timboon wrote:Appreciate the advice.

This entire thread should have been shut down and deleted with a discreet private message sent to you, its been poorly handled.

Also the venom spitting on this site has become rediclous, you ****** need to settle down.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 07 Jan 2021, 12:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Ziege wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

your ignorance of nuances in the laws is astounding. :allegedly: .

I fixed it for you. Lol

no oldbloke I meant it, your ignorance is not allegedly astounding, its very much so.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 07 Jan 2021, 12:55 pm

Sawyers wrote:
Ziege wrote:

What district does the Geraldton area fall into, because on some maps (7 districts) it falls into the SWLD but on the 9 district maps it doesnt?

usually midwest, however some areas eastward fit into the northern wheatbelt.

Cheers.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 07 Jan 2021, 12:56 pm

Sawyers wrote:
Timboon wrote:Appreciate the advice.

This entire thread should have been shut down and deleted with a discreet private message sent to you, its been poorly handled.

Also the venom spitting on this site has become rediclous, you ****** need to settle down.

yes, this is what I said as the very first reply.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 07 Jan 2021, 1:20 pm

Ziege wrote:
Sawyers wrote:
Ziege wrote:

usually midwest, however some areas eastward fit into the northern wheatbelt.

Cheers.

Cheers thanks for the clarification, also do you know where you can find this information? Because with the various sites online indicating different borders it hard to work out what is what
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 07 Jan 2021, 1:48 pm

yeah apparently best one to go by is the last one used during the regional covid lockdowns...
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 07 Jan 2021, 2:45 pm

The South West District is different to the South West Land Division.

The District covers south of Mandurah to about Denmark.

The Division pretty well covers the entire agriculture zone. i.e. not the pastoral areas.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 07 Jan 2021, 4:26 pm

animalpest wrote:The South West District is different to the South West Land Division.

The Division pretty well covers the entire agriculture zone. i.e. not the pastoral areas.

The reason I was asking is because from Jan to July there is a restricted duck season in SWLD without the need to obtain a damage license from DEC.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 07 Jan 2021, 7:02 pm

Sawyers wrote:
animalpest wrote:The South West District is different to the South West Land Division.

The reason I was asking is because from Jan to July there is a restricted duck season in SWLD without the need to obtain a damage license from DEC.

Are you allowed to shoot birds with a rifle in WA. Certainly in other states you must use a shotgun. no single projectiles allowed.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2021, 7:09 pm

Larry wrote:Are you allowed to shoot birds with a rifle in WA. Certainly in other states you must use a shotgun. no single projectiles allowed.

I think shot applies only to game birds, don't think there's any restriction on pest birds.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2021, 7:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Larry wrote:Are you allowed to shoot birds with a rifle in WA. Certainly in other states you must use a shotgun. no single projectiles allowed.

I think shot applies only to game birds, don't think there's any restriction on pest birds.

Pretty sure that's correct for Victoria. But states could vary.

Ask ziege, he knows everything. He's lawyer i think. :lol: :lol: :lol: :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 07 Jan 2021, 8:29 pm

pest parrots are shot here regularly with 22lr, since ya asked so nicely
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 07 Jan 2021, 11:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Pretty sure that's correct for Victoria. But states could vary.

Ask ziege, he knows everything. He's lawyer i think. :lol: :lol: :lol: :allegedly:

I shoot long bill Corrales, Rainbow lorikeets and silver eyes with a riffle and according to the regs its fine to shoot wood ducks aswell.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 08 Jan 2021, 12:36 am

I know of no legal reasons that prohibits the use of rifles versus shotguns in WA. Of couse safety and animal welfare is an essential component of everything.

Just shot a couple of hundred birds today with a .22 and an air rifle and that is legit.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 08 Jan 2021, 12:35 pm

animalpest wrote:I know of no legal reasons that prohibits the use of rifles versus shotguns in WA. Of couse safety and animal welfare is an essential component of everything.

Just shot a couple of hundred birds today with a .22 and an air rifle and that is legit.

exactly, if a rimfire or other rifle can be used safely to shoot said pest then its not an issue, taking shots up in the air in a manner that could even remotely cause harm to others is one example of something that is most definitely not to be done. however there are plenty of acceptable scenarios whereby a rifle can be used in place of a shotgun, biggest advantage being it causes less damage to crops and other objects the birds might be occupying/roosting on.

have at them AP good to hear ya had a good shoot
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2021, 3:31 pm

Ziege wrote:
animalpest wrote:I know of no legal reasons that prohibits the use of rifles versus shotguns in WA. Of couse safety and animal welfare is an essential component of everything.

exactly, if a rimfire or other rifle can be used safely to shoot said pest then its not an issue, taking shots up in the air in a manner that could even remotely cause harm to others is one example of something that is most definitely not to be done. however there are plenty of acceptable scenarios whereby a rifle can be used in place of a shotgun, biggest advantage being it causes less damage to crops and other objects the birds might be occupying/roosting on.

have at them AP good to hear ya had a good shoot

I shot hundreds of crows, galahs and starlings in SA as a kid.
Biggest advantages of the rifle over the gun is the rifle kills more cleanly and has much, much longer range. Many of the birds I dropped with the gun I finished off with a .22 rifle anyway. I don't think I ever attempted to take a crow with a shotgun, always a centrefire rifle, mainly .222Rem, but also .243 and 6.5x55mm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 14 Jan 2021, 1:21 am

Australian Raven completely protected in WA. Lorikeets are an introduced pest - aviary escapees and considered vermin. Two species of corella - long-billed and short-billed. One is a pest the other is not. Unsure of whether either or both are WA natives. Kookaburras and pigeons are also introduced pests.Pigs, cats, dogs, foxes, deer (all species), camels, donkeys, horses, three-lined palm squirrels, cane toads, starlings, sparrows, mynahs are declared vermin and fair game.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jan 2021, 6:56 am

I don't know the legalities of bird shooting and what not, nor do I know if you did it legally or not. That's on you. Congrats on blooding the .17 and good shooting. :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Jan 2021, 6:59 am

Diamond Jim wrote:Australian Raven completely protected in WA. Lorikeets are an introduced pest - aviary escapees and considered vermin. Two species of corella - long-billed and short-billed. One is a pest the other is not. Unsure of whether either or both are WA natives. Kookaburras and pigeons are also introduced pests.Pigs, cats, dogs, foxes, deer (all species), camels, donkeys, horses, three-lined palm squirrels, cane toads, starlings, sparrows, mynahs are declared vermin and fair game.

The advice from the Department states that as a native species, the Australian Raven is afforded protection however it is a declared pest in some areas and may be culled with a permit. Am I missing something?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 14 Jan 2021, 9:53 am

SCJ429 - If you obtain a permit, then you can shoot the protected species according to the conditions on the permit (licence).

Permits are issued when there is evidence that damage has occured or is likely and that other efforts to decrease the damage have failed.

Otherwise, it is protected.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 14 Jan 2021, 1:27 pm

SCJ429 wrote:The advice from the Department states that as a native species, the Australian Raven is afforded protection however it is a declared pest in some areas and may be culled with a permit. Am I missing something?

So....if you had a permit you are fine.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles