Property Aqusition pointers

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Property Aqusition pointers

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Jan 2021, 11:37 am

Morning all

Holidays booked in for the last week of January and first week of February I have decided to spend a week searching for properties to shoot on. Both Myself and the mate that I shoot with are tradies I manage a mechanical shop and a mechanic, mates a sparky hopefully be able to pick up something.

Appart from the obvious any pointers that anyone would like to share in regards to picking up a property.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Property Aqusition pointers

Post by Blr243 » 15 Jan 2021, 3:46 pm

Twenty five years ago wen I was young Wild and silly, I had probably 30 places to go by strictly bowhunting and offering some free building maintenance..... I had a long break from hunting ......now that I’m old carefull responsible and well behaved. I’m finding it near impossible to get on .... it does not make sense at all. I think the potential for accidents injury/ litigation has a lot to do with it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 15 Jan 2021, 3:57 pm

head out at least half a days drive, find a 1 pub town in the middle of prime hunting territory and set urself up at the bar and drink........buy a few drinks........ :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Jan 2021, 4:30 pm

Bill wrote:head out at least half a days drive, find a 1 pub town in the middle of prime hunting territory and set urself up at the bar and drink........buy a few drinks........ :drinks:

Sounds like the way to go personally im not a huge drinker but may well be a starting point.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 15 Jan 2021, 7:47 pm

Blr243: "I think the potential for accidents injury/ litigation has a lot to do with it."

I'm inclined to agree. Over the last few decades Australian society has caught what I call - I once lived and worked in the USA - the American 'disease': if in doubt sue. People are now far less likely to accept personal responsibility and, instead, look for someone else to blame for their own stupidity and/or simple bad luck for which no one is to blame - accidents do happen. They are also encouraged by increasingly avaricious lawyers.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 18 Jan 2021, 10:01 am

Blr243 wrote:Twenty five years ago wen I was young Wild and silly, I had probably 30 places to go by strictly bowhunting and offering some free building maintenance..... I had a long break from hunting ......now that I’m old carefull responsible and well behaved. I’m finding it near impossible to get on .... it does not make sense at all. I think the potential for accidents injury/ litigation has a lot to do with it

I don't think the problem lies in litigation the ssaa insurance covers that.

I firmly believe that too many idiots have ruined it for the rest of the hunters around, I can ask any farmer in my town and guarantee a story about a hunter doing something stupid and costing the farmer time and money to fix it.

It only has to happen once, (twice if the farmers a kind one) and the answer to all hunters becomes a firm no.

In my experience it's generally not even the shooters doing it, it's the morons with two dogs and a knife but in the eyes of a farmer everyone who asks is a hunter and tarred with the same brush.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 18 Jan 2021, 10:02 am

Best bet is to get to know them first, ask if the property allows camping, go a few times (don't bring up hunting) and leave the camp clean. After the staff/owners get to know you respect the place you stand a better chance.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 18 Jan 2021, 8:08 pm

Farmerpete wrote:
Blr243 wrote:Twenty five years ago wen I was young Wild and silly, I had probably 30 places to go by strictly bowhunting and offering some free building maintenance..... I had a long break from hunting ......now that I’m old carefull responsible and well behaved. I’m finding it near impossible to get on .... it does not make sense at all. I think the potential for accidents injury/ litigation has a lot to do with it

I don't think the problem lies in litigation the ssaa insurance covers that.

I firmly believe that too many idiots have ruined it for the rest of the hunters around, I can ask any farmer in my town and guarantee a story about a hunter doing something stupid and costing the farmer time and money to fix it.

It only has to happen once, (twice if the farmers a kind one) and the answer to all hunters becomes a firm no.

In my experience it's generally not even the shooters doing it, it's the morons with two dogs and a knife but in the eyes of a farmer everyone who asks is a hunter and tarred with the same brush.

I reckon so. It is not hard to find a farmer with a bad story to tell. I have heard a few. Some of them particularly bad. In one instance stock were shot. The property we used to hunt on had numerous people on there over the decades, but in more recent years no-one went there but us. Property owner said it was too much of a risk to let anyone on.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Jan 2021, 8:25 pm

[quote="Farmerpete"]

poachers and idiots doing the wrong thing is why it's difficult to get permission /access these days IMHO :cry:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Property Aqusition poiw

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2021, 8:58 pm

Many years ago , I got invited to a new place at moonie , I did not realise it at the time but I found out later there were no shooters allowed on the place for years , I don’t know why I did not ask...... but I was a very lucky Son of a bitch. It was overrun with feral pigs and I had them all to myself .....I could not drive, ride or walk anywhere without seeing plenty of pigs. On my first trip there I took my brand new dirt bike. About 4 am I had some time to kill Prior to my morning hunt ...so I thought I thought I would practice on the bike because I had not ridden for at least 15 years ..Riding my bike beside the wheat stubble pre dawn I soon realised was too dangerous so I had to turn round and head back to camp to wait for daylight .....it was too dangerous because there were so many mobs of pigs running off the stubble that I thought I was going to get knocked off my bike. So many bike chases thru the lime bush in the middle of the day.....so many close up stalks on the stubble under moonlight with pump shot guns. Why can’t it be like that now ? What the hell happened to the good ol days ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2021, 9:18 am

bigrich wrote:

poachers and idiots doing the wrong thing is why it's difficult to get permission /access these days IMHO :cry:

100%

It just takes 1 or 2.
Same old, same old. 10% think the rules don't apply to them.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 19 Jan 2021, 10:04 am

...all you do is jump the fence and start shooting
:lol: If no one stops ya well then you have permission...simple aint it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bello » 19 Jan 2021, 10:49 am

Hi Folks
I have to agree about people doing silly things makes it hard for the honest Joe trying to get onto properties.
One place I used to hunt, the whole street got together and banned shooters.
They were having troubles with bow hunters at night and poachers shooting off the side of the road.

I find once you are on and the farmer likes and trusts you, ask him/her for a referral to other properties.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Grandadbushy » 19 Jan 2021, 6:36 pm

I agree with most on here , where i live and surrounding farmers don't let hunters or shooters on because they all have had bad experiences with shooters and hunters and bike riders, the bike riders cut fences to enter better riding areas not knowing there's a gate half a klm away this stuffs the tension on the fences and most are left down, then there are the poachers disturbing cattle or other stock putting them through fences, then the piggers with their dogs that some hang cattle as well as pigs leaving cattle with ears torn off or snouts ripped , yes wild dogs could have done some of that but most dogs were caught and shot by the farmer still with their collars on , even some had the owners registration name on a tag so i would say 99.9% of the reason would be because of poachers, bad campers, idiots with dogs and trespassers and bad shooters in general, a lot of farmers have also had machinery damaged by bullets being shot from roads or the shooter not knowing the lay of the property or just not taking care when discharging their firearm, it is an uphill battle to gain access to a property and what was said you have to gain trust from the farmers and prove you are trustworthy to be allowed access to their land then ask if they could get you access to other farms and if you live up to your new trust then the farms will follow, these farmers want the pests gone but not at the cost of stock, machinery, fences or possibly even their life :thumbsup: :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Property Aqusition poiw

Post by GQshayne » 19 Jan 2021, 7:46 pm

Blr243 wrote:Many years ago , I got invited to a new place at moonie , I did not realise it at the time but I found out later there were no shooters allowed on the place for years , I don’t know why I did not ask...... but I was a very lucky Son of a bitch. It was overrun with feral pigs and I had them all to myself .....I could not drive, ride or walk anywhere without seeing plenty of pigs. On my first trip there I took my brand new dirt bike. About 4 am I had some time to kill Prior to my morning hunt ...so I thought I thought I would practice on the bike because I had not ridden for at least 15 years ..Riding my bike beside the wheat stubble pre dawn I soon realised was too dangerous so I had to turn round and head back to camp to wait for daylight .....it was too dangerous because there were so many mobs of pigs running off the stubble that I thought I was going to get knocked off my bike. So many bike chases thru the lime bush in the middle of the day.....so many close up stalks on the stubble under moonlight with pump shot guns. Why can’t it be like that now ? What the hell happened to the good ol days ?

Most probably just as many pigs now, and you just can't see them any more!! LOL :mrgreen:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 21 Jan 2021, 7:43 am

One of my strategies was to learn as much as I could about , sheep , cattle and crops so I could speak some of the farmers language .
Over the years I learnt so much I got a job on cattle station but eventually there was no future in it for my daughter so I left and went back to the big smoke . If on initial contact you can make some small talk about how good the crop looks and name the variety or the breed of cattle whatever . It sets some common ground to get them talking and comfortable with you . Don't turn up looking like a gangster , dress conservatively . While you are at the door hold your license and membership cards whatever in your hand so they can see it but don't force it on them . If they don't say no immediately , you have a chance so just keep talking nicely . Never get angry or upset when they say no because they will ring the neighbors and soon half the district knows about you . I once talked to a grazier for 5 hours until he eventually said yes . He was lonely and appreciated a good conversation . We were friends for 40 years but he's dead now . Oh and farmers will test your honesty sometimes by leaving something for you to find . To see if you hand it in to them . It's harder now than in my day because of more idiots and fools doing the wrong thing . Another tip is the wife has to feel comfortable with you as she will be home more than the farmer so be aware of the wife and treat her with courtesy and good manners because if she says no your f*cked .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Ziege » 21 Jan 2021, 12:41 pm

everyone here is more concerned with livestock and property damage and outright thieves.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 22 Jan 2021, 12:59 pm

Ziege wrote:everyone here is more concerned with livestock and property damage and outright thieves.

And most of that is local criminals not the licensed shooters who turn up , identify themselves and ask permission properly .
When I worked on stations every shooting issue was a result of local town hoodlums .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by NTSOG » 22 Jan 2021, 2:16 pm

John V: "When I worked on stations every shooting issue was a result of local town hoodlums."

In the last year I have been out on a property down the road on the edge of pine plantations and state forest and observed a bunch of fools in a ute screaming round the forest roads on two occasions presumably looking for anything that could be shot, legal or otherwise. [There are red deer and sambar around.] I could hear them and also see the glare of their spotlight above the trees. They came up alongside the paddock in which I was sitting lighting up everything including me so that I decided it was necessary to shine my red torch straight back at them lest they saw me and some fool took a shot. Some weeks later the farmer asked me if a dead fox in one of his paddocks was my work. It wasn't but I bet the fools in the ute shot it. The problem is that there are hundreds of miles of rough forest tracks and these drongos can get in and out quickly by various routes and evade the authorities.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 22 Jan 2021, 4:22 pm

Had a simler problem when i had the property at Moonie farmer was of the belief that i had left all of his gates open. Luckily i had left trail cameras near the dam catching a black Navara and two gents off the back of the ute spotlighting.

Access in queensland is a huge problem ive had a few farmers use myslef for mechanical repairs and fencing/property work with no fruit at the end of it plenty of calls to get me back out to fix more stuff. However nothing but excuses when asked to have a hunt.

Covids been a real pain for us all i have my R licence however border restrictions have kind of stuffed me up a fair bit.

Imagine if state forest hunting got off the ground in queensland we'd all be laughing.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jan 2021, 4:43 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Had a simler problem when i had the property at Moonie farmer was of the belief that i had left all of his gates open. Luckily i had left trail cameras near the dam catching a black Navara and two gents off the back of the ute spotlighting.

Access in queensland is a huge problem ive had a few farmers use myslef for mechanical repairs and fencing/property work with no fruit at the end of it plenty of calls to get me back out to fix more stuff. However nothing but excuses when asked to have a hunt.

Covids been a real pain for us all i have my R licence however border restrictions have kind of stuffed me up a fair bit.

Imagine if state forest hunting got off the ground in queensland we'd all be laughing.

I had precisely the same problem. Never found out who did it. Sheep every where. I become clear he thought it was me. I never got back on again. Very frustrating.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 22 Jan 2021, 7:56 pm

I was lucky enough to have the vehicle and rego plates to boot the cam saved my ass.

However when my mate broke up with the farmers daughter i was suddenly blacklisted funny how that works id usually go to the property 5-7 times a year and did so for 3 years.

Im staying positive though im fairly sure that i can find something within the next few weeks 1 more shift at work and ill be making it happen.

Besides if that doesnt work next time ill take my ute and hopefully will strike a few more conversations.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 24 Jan 2021, 2:55 pm

NTSOG wrote:John V: "When I worked on stations every shooting issue was a result of local town hoodlums."

In the last year I have been out on a property down the road on the edge of pine plantations and state forest and observed a bunch of fools in a ute screaming round the forest roads on two occasions presumably looking for anything that could be shot, legal or otherwise. [There are red deer and sambar around.] I could hear them and also see the glare of their spotlight above the trees. They came up alongside the paddock in which I was sitting lighting up everything including me so that I decided it was necessary to shine my red torch straight back at them lest they saw me and some fool took a shot. Some weeks later the farmer asked me if a dead fox in one of his paddocks was my work. It wasn't but I bet the fools in the ute shot it. The problem is that there are hundreds of miles of rough forest tracks and these drongos can get in and out quickly by various routes and evade the authorities.

Jim

I hear you , there is plenty of fools out there now . If they are doing that then it's because they can't get onto a property the right way because they are known idiots . A stockman I worked with shot a whole lot of escaped Landrace pigs on our place and the Police tried to blame me . Not the right thing to do , you should find the owners and give them time to round them up . I had to go out in the paddock along the river and search for evidence and I found several 30-30 cases overlooking where they were shot . I took that to the cops and said see , it's not me I don't own or use a 30-30 . Go and look there would be more somewhere in the grass . I was not taking the fall for something I never did . I could loose my job . Never heard anymore about it .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Feb 2021, 7:27 pm

Just a little update gents first week of febuary i spent a little bit of time 3 and a bit days scoping for places. I was met with plenty of people telling me to bugger off sod off and the usual. I did a total of close to 2000km worth of driving handed out probably close to 250 cards with letters. Spoke to a few farmers and helped them out when i could.

I can now say that i have 2 properties that i have the green light to shoot on and as of last weekend have shot on. It wasn't easy but I made it happen one farmers already set up a place for me to sleep for when im next down. He spoke to his brother and will show me around his block next time im out.

Stay positive guys in a crap world if you keep your head down and work at it anything can be possible.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2021, 8:13 pm

Well done & congratulations.

Snoopy.gif
Snoopy.gif (65.35 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2021, 8:55 pm

Great news
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2021, 10:14 pm

Congrats Mate :thumbsup:
I must admit I am guilty of presumption.
When this thread first appeared I didn't even bother to read it, and presumed you were on a quest to buy a property.
Until now that is,,,,,,,,, Congrats yet again Mate. :thumbsup: :clap: :drinks:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 25 Feb 2021, 2:13 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Just a little update gents first week of febuary i spent a little bit of time 3 and a bit days scoping for places. I was met with plenty of people telling me to bugger off sod off and the usual. I did a total of close to 2000km worth of driving handed out probably close to 250 cards with letters. Spoke to a few farmers and helped them out when i could.

I can now say that i have 2 properties that i have the green light to shoot on and as of last weekend have shot on. It wasn't easy but I made it happen one farmers already set up a place for me to sleep for when im next down. He spoke to his brother and will show me around his block next time im out.

Stay positive guys in a crap world if you keep your head down and work at it anything can be possible.

That's good news mate . You can be successful if you go about it the right way and be persistent . There is some mighty good people on the land . So look after those permissions and don't take any idiots away with you that can stuff it all up .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 28 Feb 2021, 7:47 pm

Reward for effort - well done.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 01 Mar 2021, 3:16 pm

Great result. Keep asking, you may well get more especially if the owners of the property your shooting on, are willing to give either a verbal or written reference.
That is how I got onto properties in NSW, like you, it took a fair bit of doing but in the end I got there.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control