22-250 or 243

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 22-250 or 243

Post by mchughcb » 27 Jan 2021, 12:50 pm

straightshooter wrote:Anybody for a 25-06.
Its a caliber that doesn't talked about much but is far more common than one may think.

When I was pro shooting thats all I used. Now im not a pro I'd go with 243 win. Just cause it has less boot.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 27 Jan 2021, 7:40 pm

bigrich wrote:
GQshayne wrote:I have two M55 Tikkas, one in .243. I have owned it since 1986. It is comparable to a similar vintage Sako in my opinion. In those days, they were in direct competition. Until recently I used it as a pig gun, and could not say how many pigs were taken with it over the decades.

In the early days 85gn Sierras were used, and then 87gn Hornady Interlocks and 90gn Speer Hot core. On average size pigs, heavy construction projectiles such as Partitions are too heavy in my experience, so the stuff listed above has worked better. I have shot some big pigs at 200m with it, and never had any reason to think the calibre was not suitable. Maybe if I was seeing a lot of pigs over 100kg then the Partitions or something similar would work better.

I have reloaded for it after my first batch of factory PMC ammo supplied me some cases. I also acquired some other cases being Sako and some Winchester etc. I still have many of those original cases, and never once have I had an issue reloading any. As a hunter (not a target shooter), I always FL resize them, and some of those old cases would have had a few reloads by now.

I tried to show you a pic of it, but the upload limit appears to have changed.

yeah, i've had lots of trouble trying to upload pics in the past as well . first hand knowledge of m55's is what i'm seeking. they have no funny quirks or matinence issues then ? they can't be toploaded with reloading the mag without removing it from the rifle ? i've read the floorplate/trigger gaurd assembly can be fiddly if disassembled . have you played with this ? :thumbsup:

No they can't be top loaded, and have a detachable magazine, 3 shot is standard for the .243. I also have a 5 shot for mine, but would have to think they would be hard to find nowadays. I have always considered a detachable mag an asset.

Floor plate and trigger is as simple as it could be actually. I am honestly baffled that anyone could think it was fiddly. Trigger is excellent, and considered to be one of the best factory triggers made. I have read this a few times, and had a bloke at a gun shop say the same to me.

The new Tikkas are a good thing, but do not look the same as the old ones to me. I guess I just like old stuff. And if you are patient, you can find them with a DeLux stock. Nicely figured walnut, beaver tail forend and a rollover cheek piece. That is my preference.

Sorry I cannot give you a pic. I even tried to upload one that I have put up here before, but now it says its to big. If you have a look at my old .17 Rem Project thread on here the pics might still be there.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 27 Jan 2021, 7:45 pm

Have a look in this thread. A few pics in there.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11858&start=90
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 27 Jan 2021, 9:04 pm

Skinna wrote:Well if youre having a barrel chambered for this & still bandying around different cartridges with 25-06 in the mix, then why not seriously take the 257 Roberts into the equation.??

Also, while the 243 will always win in any "which is more versatile out of 243 & 22-250", there is still a lot of good about the 22-250 being left out here.

You started out considering the 223AI, so why not the 22-250 AI...?
The 22-250 is more than capable of taking small to medium animals like goats & dogs etc., which are both pretty thin skinned animals. Admittedly pigs are a different matter, but those who know what they are doing still hunt small to medium pigs with a 223.
If you can shoot, you'll have no problems in taking goats for the table easily out at 300 with the 22-250, & dogs will tip over probably just, as if not easier.

And you talk about inbetween your 222 & 270...so what happened to your 6.5x55 you always said is your go-to hunt gun...? If you still have that a 22-250 AI would be a better gap filler in my opinion, unless you just want a short action 6mm cartridge
The 22-250 is just a smidge under the 243 in every respect, volume (noise), case capacity & bullet flinging weight, variety of bullet availability & cheap prices, & for what they are, they hit with some magnificent authority...so choose an appropriate twist & bullets for its purposes & you wont be disappointed.
But its most likely you wont be disappointed with your 243 either by the sounds of it. :)

stinna me old mate ( see what i did there :D ) , long time no post :lol: well , the ole 6.5x55 winnie is going down the road as 270 win has the ability to carry energy out a long way to flatten anything i'm likely to come across :D i ended up with a 1972 sako finnbear , only used by a little old lady after church on sundays :lol:

i've been deliberateing about getting another caliber of late , more so out of technical interest , and a bit of retail therapy :D . i don't get to do much culling/varmiting , and while the 22-250 and such are interesting , i think 243 makes more sense as a walk around gun .22-250 has velocity, 243 throws 95/100 grain ballistic tips, at a reasonable trajectory as well . 25-06 is very interesting , and as i have a sporter 30-06 eddystone laying around, this is a possible build-up . but 25-06 uses a lot of powder . on these aspects the 243 makes sense
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 27 Jan 2021, 9:06 pm

GQshayne wrote:
bigrich wrote:
GQshayne wrote:I have two M55 Tikkas, one in .243. I have owned it since 1986. It is comparable to a similar vintage Sako in my opinion. In those days, they were in direct competition. Until recently I used it as a pig gun, and could not say how many pigs were taken with it over the decades.

In the early days 85gn Sierras were used, and then 87gn Hornady Interlocks and 90gn Speer Hot core. On average size pigs, heavy construction projectiles such as Partitions are too heavy in my experience, so the stuff listed above has worked better. I have shot some big pigs at 200m with it, and never had any reason to think the calibre was not suitable. Maybe if I was seeing a lot of pigs over 100kg then the Partitions or something similar would work better.

I have reloaded for it after my first batch of factory PMC ammo supplied me some cases. I also acquired some other cases being Sako and some Winchester etc. I still have many of those original cases, and never once have I had an issue reloading any. As a hunter (not a target shooter), I always FL resize them, and some of those old cases would have had a few reloads by now.

I tried to show you a pic of it, but the upload limit appears to have changed.

yeah, i've had lots of trouble trying to upload pics in the past as well . first hand knowledge of m55's is what i'm seeking. they have no funny quirks or matinence issues then ? they can't be toploaded with reloading the mag without removing it from the rifle ? i've read the floorplate/trigger gaurd assembly can be fiddly if disassembled . have you played with this ? :thumbsup:

No they can't be top loaded, and have a detachable magazine, 3 shot is standard for the .243. I also have a 5 shot for mine, but would have to think they would be hard to find nowadays. I have always considered a detachable mag an asset.

Floor plate and trigger is as simple as it could be actually. I am honestly baffled that anyone could think it was fiddly. Trigger is excellent, and considered to be one of the best factory triggers made. I have read this a few times, and had a bloke at a gun shop say the same to me.

The new Tikkas are a good thing, but do not look the same as the old ones to me. I guess I just like old stuff. And if you are patient, you can find them with a DeLux stock. Nicely figured walnut, beaver tail forend and a rollover cheek piece. That is my preference.

Sorry I cannot give you a pic. I even tried to upload one that I have put up here before, but now it says its to big. If you have a look at my old .17 Rem Project thread on here the pics might still be there.

thanks for your info and advice mate :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Jan 2021, 5:06 pm

well i done it . after mentally torturing myself on trying to make a decision , i made a choice , i've got a tikka m55 in 243 coming my way . :D

i was almost gunna get another model 70 , but these finnish made firearms are a slick handmade bit of gear :thumbsup:

thanks to everyone for their advice and opinions :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 28 Jan 2021, 6:56 pm

They are also the go to proj for the 243 both in my own and in mates rifle. U have a fee thousand of them 87g V maxs
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 28 Jan 2021, 7:39 pm

bigrich wrote:well i done it . after mentally torturing myself on trying to make a decision , i made a choice , i've got a tikka m55 in 243 coming my way . :D

i was almost gunna get another model 70 , but these finnish made firearms are a slick handmade bit of gear :thumbsup:

Does it have the DeLux stock by any chance?????
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Jan 2021, 8:13 pm

GQshayne wrote:
bigrich wrote:well i done it . after mentally torturing myself on trying to make a decision , i made a choice , i've got a tikka m55 in 243 coming my way . :D

no, unfortunately . if it's still there, do a search on usedguns , it's advertised for $899 . i just hope his idea of excellent is the same as mine ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Skinna » 28 Jan 2021, 11:57 pm

No worries Rich...& yes i seen what you did there :thumbsup:

After you get over the disapointment of yet another 243 with its loud & incredibly obtuse muzzle blast & get it re-barreled & chambered in 22-250, be sure & share the joy of 60grnr's making goats fall over at 300 in your scope with your new found 22 calibre love affair. :D

:lol:

:sarcasm:

:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 29 Jan 2021, 4:29 am

I’m sure 243 as a walk about caliber will be fine for me skinna . Especially seeing how it’s in a magical Scandinavian rifle, handmade by beautiful Norse damsels :lol:

The only thing I’ll have to adjust to is the box magazine. My old mate stoney reckons if it annoys me that much , just treat it like a ruger No1 and stick one round at a time in through the top :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jan 2021, 1:50 pm

I find if a box mag is easy to remove, and it has good safe definite lugs that can be relied upon I get used to it and don’t mind having to remove it to top it up ......generally we should be happy about having to top up our mag because it means I just shot a couple of pigs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Jan 2021, 9:16 am

With regards to magazines, being able to top up on the move without even needing to look was a handy thing for me recently when I was trying to keep sight of some pigs. I settled for the m55 cause the single stack box mags are known for their reliable feed
As much as I appreciate the accuracy and reliability of the modern tikka’s, there’s nothing like a older craftsman made rifle. The only rifle I regret selling was my 1903 obberndorff made”Turk” Mauser in 8x57. The early Mauser are much tighter and slicker than the later WW2 made ones
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 30 Jan 2021, 9:48 am

bigrich wrote:With regards to magazines, being able to top up on the move without even needing to look was a handy thing for me recently when I was trying to keep sight of some pigs. I settled for the m55 cause the single stack box mags are known for their reliable feed
As much as I appreciate the accuracy and reliability of the modern tikka’s, there’s nothing like a older craftsman made rifle. The only rifle I regret selling was my 1903 obberndorff made”Turk” Mauser in 8x57. The early Mauser are much tighter and slicker than the later WW2 made ones

I regret selling two Parker Hale Super Safaris , 22-250 and a 308 , but I needed money to buy a house and stuff had to go .
The Santa Barbara 98 copies were beautiful actions .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Jan 2021, 2:46 pm

When I was dressed in green I remember seeing Parker Hale M82 and I thought they were a Mauser. The Australian Army thought you only needed a 6x scope to hit targets out to 600 metres but it was heaps better than the open sights on my SLR.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Jan 2021, 3:09 pm

Yep, can't argue with that but the 7.62 SLR could still shoot pretty good groups out to 200yds.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jan 2021, 3:22 pm

Good choice :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 30 Jan 2021, 7:36 pm

bigrich wrote:
GQshayne wrote:

no, unfortunately . if it's still there, do a search on usedguns , it's advertised for $899 . i just hope his idea of excellent is the same as mine ;)

Just had a look but did not see it.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Feb 2021, 8:58 am

GQshayne wrote:
bigrich wrote:
GQshayne wrote:

Just had a look but did not see it.

It must’ve been taken down. I’ve seen a influx of early tikka’s for sale of late. I’ll see how the 243 I got coming goes, I might get a 22-250 as well....... ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Skinna » 04 Feb 2021, 12:42 am

No...!!!

Dont get one BigRich...not a 22-250..!!
They are not a Queenslanders gun anway...!!...real rednecks wouldnt fathom anything less than a 243 :) :thumbsup:

So Just stick to the 243 mate... 8-)

Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 06 Feb 2021, 9:32 am

Skinna wrote:No...!!!

Dont get one BigRich...not a 22-250..!!
They are not a Queenslanders gun anway...!!...real rednecks wouldnt fathom anything less than a 243 :) :thumbsup:

So Just stick to the 243 mate... 8-)

i don't get to do culling or varmiting very often , so the 243 is more versatile for anything i'm likely to encounter anyway stinna ;) .

i've dusted off my dies , bought some 95 gn nosler BT's and rem brass . as ADI seem to have foresaken the local market , powderwise i'm considering alliant 19
anyone got any feedback for me on this powder ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2021, 12:59 pm

Any pics?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 06 Feb 2021, 1:21 pm

Great choice. :clap:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 06 Feb 2021, 1:42 pm

SCJ429 wrote:When I was dressed in green I remember seeing Parker Hale M82 and I thought they were a Mauser. The Australian Army thought you only needed a 6x scope to hit targets out to 600 metres but it was heaps better than the open sights on my SLR.
The action is a Mauser 98 copy but nicer made than most of the ex Military Mausers .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 06 Feb 2021, 5:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Any pics?

still waiting on the pta OB :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2021, 8:16 pm

What's a Pain in The Arse got to do with purchasing a new rifle. :violin: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pedro » 19 Feb 2021, 7:46 am

My M55 in 243 has been my go to gun for a long time
I have watched a couple of other people I shoot with get caught up in the caliber challenge's but I have always liked the 243 and enjoy testing different hand loads, its been a great gun and caliber for me and as previously mentioned the 270 is there if i need bigger.
Pedro
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 26 Apr 2021, 8:55 pm

Both calibre will work - it all depends what you ammunition ( ie projectile) you send down range!!

In the 22-250 a hand loaded 60 grain Nosler Partition is the mustard on all medium sized game and will equally handle larger pigs and deer up to the size of fallow (where permitted).

In the 243, - only two factory loads i would use - Norma 100 gr Oryx and GECO 105 gr Teilmantel..........superbly accurate out of any 243 i have ever shot them through and will handle deer up to the size of red deer without a problem.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 04 Jul 2021, 3:41 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
JohnV wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:
JohnV wrote:243 would do the job. The short neck does have some potential issues that can be minimized using skim neck turning and partial neck length sizing .

What are the issues around the length of the 243 neck? Does the 6mm Dasher also have these issues as its neck is even shorter? Do you think the WSM would be a better case if it had a longer neck?

Short necks mean less length to play with bullet seating of boat tailed bullets . Less natural alignment then longer necks .
Less potential grip for any given neck tension amount like say a .001 grip or .002 etc. than a longer neck .
It's not a huge issue and standard .243 shoots fairly well anyway but you can squeeze out some extra accuracy by tightening up the neck fit by adding a slight shoulder from partial neck sizing that never gets resized ever . Body die is required and a Lee collet die with a washer over the case on the shell holder or a Redding bushing neck die adjusted so it don't size all the way down . Skim neck turn gets the neck wall thickness better and assists even bullet release and smoother operation in bushing dies . It also adds up to more concentrically seated projectiles but you have to make sure neck tension is sufficient to hold projectiles enough so that chambering from a magazine will not push them out of line . Short necks generally need slightly higher neck tensions unless you are target shooting and feeding one at a time in a push feed action .
Same applies to any short neck cartridge but precision in hand loading and dies etc. has come a long way nowadays and that helps a lot . Short necks do have one advantage in as much as they don't need as much drag to size the neck which helps reduce brass drawing and elongation , that slows down neck hardening which can adversely affect precision accuracy .
Annealing is still a good idea after 5 to 7 shots as long as you do it correctly and don't soften the case body below the shoulder .

I hear what you are saying but the size of the 243 neck will have no effect on its potential accuracy. Many case designs like the WSM are not using particularly long necks and can produce excellent accuracy. The PPC has a shorter neck than the 222 but it has completely replaced it in accuracy competition. Check out Stan Ware's 6mm BR wildcat with almost no neck.
. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... d-wolfpup/

Believe what ever you want . I know what makes a .243 shoot well .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Grandadbushy » 05 Jul 2021, 9:29 pm

G'day bigrich how's that new 243 going mate and have you knocked anything over with it yet? i like my 22-250's but even now i'd like a 243 as i said awhile back because the 243 can deliver a little more than the 22-250 with less effort ie without loading the 250 up to try and match the 243
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics