Bolts & Magazines (Outside the Safe)

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Bolts & Magazines (Outside the Safe)

Post by ThePlinkster » 14 Feb 2021, 7:10 pm

Hey guys

Just a quick one

Obviously
By law
It is an absolute must that we have to store our rifles locked away in the safe
As per the storage regulation etc
(Of course, naturally)

However though
Is it okay to store your rifles in the safe, but keep the bolts and magazines outside of the safe?

Or does the leglistation require for us to keep the entirety of our firearms into the safe?
(Bolts and Magazines included?)

I was thinking of storing my bolts and magazines outside the safe, this way, it's just quicker and easier for me to give them a quick clean in my spare time without having to go into the safe every single time etc
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Bolts & Magazines (Outside the Safe)

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2021, 7:29 pm

ThePlinkster wrote:Hey guys

Just a quick one

Obviously
By law
It is an absolute must that we have to store our rifles locked away in the safe
As per the storage regulation etc
(Of course, naturally)

However though
Is it okay to store your rifles in the safe, but keep the bolts and magazines outside of the safe?

Or does the leglistation require for us to keep the entirety of our firearms into the safe?
(Bolts and Magazines included?)

I was thinking of storing my bolts and magazines outside the safe, this way, it's just quicker and easier for me to give them a quick clean in my spare time without having to go into the safe every single time etc

My bolts and mags stay in the rifles.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 14 Feb 2021, 7:48 pm

Bolts are major components of firearms so should be stored to the same standard and not with any ammo.

Magazines if stored empty then maybe but empty magazines can be left in the rifles, that's where I leave mine so that I never forget to take them. I do have a separate small safe for bolt storage but they could also be left inserted in the rifles as long as they are open.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ThePlinkster » 14 Feb 2021, 8:22 pm

Technically speaking

If we (the firearm owners) were to store our bolts and magazines outside the safe, in a separate location of the house

Technically speaking

That would definitely be an extra "safety measure"

Because then
If someone does break into our houses one day
Rips the safe off our walls
Takes off with our safe with our rifles inside it
At least then the stolen rifles would be inoperable
(As the thieves would have no bolts or magazines to use the stolen rifles)
Last edited by ThePlinkster on 14 Feb 2021, 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 14 Feb 2021, 8:23 pm

Keeping bolts separate from rifles is the best way to lose or leave a bolt behind I reckon.
I keep spare mags wherever. Usually just in my range bag with tools and stuff.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Feb 2021, 9:01 pm

IMG_8032.JPG
IMG_8032.JPG (135.36 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
IMG_8031.JPG
IMG_8031.JPG (320.04 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
G'day ThePlinkster,
Here in Victoria you can keep your bolts & mags anywhere, top of the fridge if you like. Due to space issues I remove all bolts & mags and keep them in plastic boxes on a sideboard in my room, Aussie made Fischer Products boxes though, not the cheap Chinese ones!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ThePlinkster » 14 Feb 2021, 9:07 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:
IMG_8032.JPG
IMG_8031.JPG
G'day ThePlinkster,
Here in Victoria you can keep your bolts & mags anywhere, top of the fridge if you like. Due to space issues I remove all bolts & mags and keep them in plastic boxes on a sideboard in my room, Aussie made Fischer Products boxes though, not the cheap Chinese ones!

:lol:
You seem to have literally an extraordinary collection there No1Mk3
That seriously looks bloody awesome
I want to be just like you as I get older
Seriously I do
:lol:
Hopefully I'll get to your level one day
:drinks:

Not that I don't trust what you're saying or anything like that
But have you had safe inspections where the police officers told you that it was perfectly fine to store magazines and bolts outside the safe?
:)
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Feb 2021, 9:44 pm

Mo1Mk3 is correct for Victoria. The "action" must be in the safe. But you take the risk of going hunting without the bolt.

I only did it once. :roll:
Bolts now stay in the rifle. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ThePlinkster » 14 Feb 2021, 10:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Mo1Mk3 is correct for Victoria. The "action" must be in the safe. But you take the risk of going hunting without the bolt.

I only did it once. :roll:
Bolts now stay in the rifle. :thumbsup:

I really like the idea of keeping my bolts and magazines outside the safe..
This way
Like I said
In my spare time, it's just so easy for me to just grab them off the shelf and give them a clean whilst I'm watching TV or something
A lot of the times
I just can't be bothered going into the safe lol

Good thing about keeping the bolts and magazines outside the safe also is that it's then so easy to check and make sure that your rifles are completely unloaded for when you do go into the safe
You just grab your rifles
And since there's no magazine or bolt there
You then just look down the barrel to make sure that there's no ammunition in there at all and it's all good
Its really quick and easy and straight forward
(I check my rifles religiously and periodically to make sure that they are always unloaded, and without the magazine or bolt in the way, it just makes it easier and quicker to visually inspect the firearms, it's a lot quicker, which is great)

Keeping your bolts and magazines outside of the safe, that gives you a bit more space in your safe too which is good too
For example;
My Rugers bolt handle is quite big and everytime I had to get the Ruger out of the safe, I always kinda had to twist it and pivot it around the other rifles for it to come out properly without touching/scratching the other rifles on its sides on its way out.
It was annoying.
But without its massive bolt handle getting in the way now.
It's a lot easier to get the Ruger out
I don't have to twist it/pivot it at all
It just comes straight out, no problems
A lot easier
So much better

Lastly as well
Like I said as well
It's also a good extra "security measure" too
If someone ever steals your safe one day
At least they won't be able to use your rifles
(If you've kept your magazines and bolts in another location)
:thumbsup:
Last edited by ThePlinkster on 14 Feb 2021, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Robin » 14 Feb 2021, 10:25 pm

I keep my bolt out of my safe and into a different hidden location in my house, for me, I am very OCD in what I do when I take my rifle, First I get the bolts and put them in my bag, then Ammo and then my rifle, its easy to miss something, however I have been doing it this was for awhile now and if I miss a step, something does not feel right.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ThePlinkster » 14 Feb 2021, 10:39 pm

Robin wrote:I keep my bolt out of my safe and into a different hidden location in my house, for me, I am very OCD in what I do when I take my rifle, First I get the bolts and put them in my bag, then Ammo and then my rifle, its easy to miss something, however I have been doing it this was for awhile now and if I miss a step, something does not feel right.

I'm extremely methodical too
Everytime I go to the shooting range
I have a checklist that I go through to make sure that I have everything
I then triple check it
It's (more or less) impossible for me to miss something
I've never missed something to this day

Here's the list that I go through every single time before heading to the range;

Rifle Bags
- Rifles
- Magazines
- Bolts
- Flags

Ammunition Box
- Ammunition

Wallet
- Shooting License
- Membership Card
- Driving License
- ATM Card

- High Visibility Vests
- Hammers
- Ear Muffs 
- Pegs
- Ear Plugs
- Marker
- Pen
- Frames
- Targets
- Water
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 14 Feb 2021, 11:21 pm

Wonder what he going to do when he buys a lever/ pump action firearm .
Once you have lost a bolt or confused and put the wrong bolt in a firearm or mag you will know why most leave them in the gun if you want to be a bit pro active buy a trigger lock for $164 you can get 24 all keyed alike if you need that many
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by ThePlinkster » 14 Feb 2021, 11:44 pm

pomemax wrote:Wonder what he going to do when he buys a lever/ pump action firearm .
Once you have lost a bolt or confused and put the wrong bolt in a firearm or mag you will know why most leave them in the gun if you want to be a bit pro active buy a trigger lock for $164 you can get 24 all keyed alike if you need that many

I already have a lever/pump action firearm.
For that one,
I just leave the tubular magazine in.
Tubular magazines don't take up any extra space at all when you leave them in inside the firearm inside the safe.
Tubular magazines are all good to just leave in.
So that's what I do with Tubular magazines.
I just leave them in.

It's (more or less) impossible for me to put the wrong bolt into the wrong rifle.
I know my bolts very well.
The bolts that I do own are also all extremely different from one another.
And so are my magazines as well actually.
Impossible to confuse them.

I also store my bolts right next to the correct matching magazine for the correct rifle as well.
As I like to be very well organised and thorough.
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Feb 2021, 4:13 am

G'day ThePlinkster,
Yes, I have been inspected at least 3 times including by Taskforce Echo, and I have never had an issue about bolts on the bench, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 15 Feb 2021, 4:53 am

I keep my magazines and bolts separate, still in the gun cabinet but in the little lockable storage cabinet at the top of the safe. But that's just what I feel comfortable with.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 15 Feb 2021, 12:27 pm

The thing to keep in mind is that if someone broke in and stole your stuff did you do everything you possibly could have to stop that from happening?
Leaving anything firearm related outside of your safe or unsecured is just asking for trouble.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by pomemax » 15 Feb 2021, 12:39 pm

t's (more or less) impossible for me to put the wrong bolt into the wrong rifle.
I know my bolts very well.
The bolts that I do own are also all extremely different from one another.
And so are my magazines as well actually.
Impossible to confuse them. wait till you have a few more then see if you think the same.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 15 Feb 2021, 1:03 pm

It really depends what state your in the rules are quite different. In Vic no problems with bolts outside the safe. Yes Plinkster I think it is the safest option as well for several reasons and for different scenarios as well. Have I ever taken the wrong bolt to the range yes. Would I do it again, No you learn from mistakes. Taking the wrong magazine much harder to do depending on manufacturer of Mag. Pmags you have to look carefully on some cals.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by ThePlinkster » 15 Feb 2021, 1:36 pm

Everyone has different opinions

For me
I see a lot of benefits with keeping your bolts & mags outside the safe

Like I said
If you keep your bolts & mags outside the safe
To recap;

It's easier to clean your bolts & mags when you can just grab them off the shelf
(Rather than having to go into your safe to grab them for a clean)

It's easier and quicker to periodically visually inspect your firearms to make sure that they are always completely unloaded when you don't have the bolts and mags obstructing your view

It gives you a lot more space in your safe when you store your bolts & mags outside the safe.
It makes it a lot easier and a lot more practical to get your rifles in & out without the mags and bolts getting in the way

If someone steals your safe one day
At least they won't be able to use your rifles
(If you stored your bolts & mags in a different location)
It's definitely an added security which can't hurt at all

With that being said though
Everyone is free to do whatever they want
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2021, 2:51 pm

linkoln wrote:The thing to keep in mind is that if someone broke in and stole your stuff did you do everything you possibly could have to stop that from happening?
Leaving anything firearm related outside of your safe or unsecured is just asking for trouble.

This is the travesty of modern Policing, place the onus on the victim instead of the perpetrators of crimes.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Feb 2021, 5:36 pm

+1 ... My bolts and mags stay fitted too

The best way to lose a bolt or a mag is to get into the habit of removing it from your rifle.

Even if its not lost, I've heard of people getting to their destination only to discover .... OH BUGGER!!! :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Feb 2021, 6:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:
linkoln wrote:The thing to keep in mind is that if someone broke in and stole your stuff did you do everything you possibly could have to stop that from happening?

This is the travesty of modern Policing, place the onus on the victim instead of the perpetrators of crimes.

Precisely
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 18 Feb 2021, 6:04 pm

I think it's like insurance, if you completely trust yourself sure drive a car without insurance. I just get insurance cuz i don't trust others on the road.

It is very easy to take the wrong bolt with you if you store the bolt not with the rifle. At best it means a bad day (as you cannot shoot that rifle) or a blown action. Howa bolts are very similar.

Also to consider that unless you keep the bolt in a cocked position the springs are compressed when out of the action..... so either you get a bolt shroud that's added expense or after a while a bolt with a week spring.

Maybe you like playing with your toys everyday, but most people esp with kids in the house probably don't have time and warrant the hassle of that. Best is to clean it After shooting oil it abs pack it away ready for next time. Or pull out one rifle at a time and clean it etc
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2021, 6:17 pm

cz515 wrote:I think it's like insurance, if you completely trust yourself sure drive a car without insurance. I just get insurance cuz i don't trust others on the road.

It is very easy to take the wrong bolt with you if you store the bolt not with the rifle. At best it means a bad day (as you cannot shoot that rifle) or a blown action. Howa bolts are very similar.

Also to consider that unless you keep the bolt in a cocked position the springs are compressed when out of the action..... so either you get a bolt shroud that's added expense or after a while a bolt with a week spring.

Maybe you like playing with your toys everyday, but most people esp with kids in the house probably don't have time and warrant the hassle of that. Best is to clean it After shooting oil it abs pack it away ready for next time. Or pull out one rifle at a time and clean it etc

I don't insure vehicles other than for Third Party, Fire & Theft, if I can't afford to destroy it I can't afford to drive it.

Keeping the magazine spring or striker spring compressed has zero effect on it, it is only cycling that fatigues them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 18 Feb 2021, 7:21 pm

Just on the firing pin issue, a lot of rifles compress the spring a fair way even in the uncocked position. Then just increase the compression that very small amount more when cocked. Just the difference between un.. and cocked is often not enough pressure to reliably do the job.

I can see the pros and cons of removing the bolts. for me most of my rifles have the bolts removed and stored in the ammo compartment of the safe. I have gone to the range with the wrong bolt once perhaps twice. I know which bolts to check more carefully now and wont make that mistake again. A lot of the ranges I go to the gun must be brought to the firing line from the car with bolts removed so its just part of the routine. It also cuts back on dings within the safe to other guns.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Feb 2021, 10:20 pm

blade said "Keeping the magazine spring or striker spring compressed has zero effect on it, it is only cycling that fatigues them",

Agree, fatigues the hell out of me too!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws