Cat H knocked back because barrel is too short QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Cat H knocked back because barrel is too short QLD

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 11 Feb 2021, 4:32 pm

Has this happened to anyone else?
Got an email saying the barrel is too short on the approval letter since it is 107mm. The email goes on to show legislation that states a semi auto is less than 110mm overall length must be greater than 250mm.
My previous PTA was approved on the condition overall length was greater than 250mm. Did I just cop an idiot this time?
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Cat H knocked back because barrel is too short QLD

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Feb 2021, 6:02 pm

G'day Nathanthezoologist,
Quite possible as most who work there are only Data Entry people, is the current pistol you are applying for over 250mm long? If so, write back pointing this out and quoting the relevant passage in Qld law and wait for a response. You're lucky up there as Vic has a 120mm minimum barrel regardless of overall size, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 11 Feb 2021, 6:50 pm

Contact Weapons Licensing and quote QLD Weapons Act 1990, section 132 (b)

"a weapon that is semi-automatic and has a barrel length of less than 120mm unless it has an overall length of at least 250mm measured parallel to the barrel;"

Ask them to re-asses your application and advise them that your pistol will be compliant with the legislation as the overall length is greater than 250mm measured parallel to the barrel and send any evidence or pictures that you have to support that.

Be polite in all correspondence, even if they are clearly wrong and you are clearly right, people make mistakes, most of the WLB staff are over worked and poorly trained, even for government workers. Apparently WLB is seen as somewhat of a dead end job for those that can't find better elsewhere.

Out of curiosity, what is the pistol that you want to acquire?
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 12 Feb 2021, 7:24 am

It's definitely legal size since it's already in the country. I think someone just can't read or hadn't had enough coffee when assessing my PTA
It's a Walther gsp expert so definitely legal
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 12 Feb 2021, 8:33 am

With an overall length of 437mm it is certainly allowed under QLD legislation, even with it's 115mm barrel. Walther's own website lists the length as 292mm for the current model which is more likely to be correct.

I also saw the following on wikipedia which is hilarious:

"Under the N.Y Safe Act the Walther GSP is now classified as an assault weapon under N.Y state law. It is also classified as an assault weapon under Chicago and Cook County laws due to the magazine being outside of the pistol grip"

Enjoy your "assault weapon" when it finally arrives.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 15 Feb 2021, 1:40 pm

Had a talk with a super nice and helpful bloke from weapons licencing. He essentially said that they have to apply a two part test when approving PTAs for handguns. One is barrel length and if that isn't greater than 120mm then they apply a weapon length test
It was recommended that club letters include both barrel length and weapon length in case barrel length is less than the magic number.
There are some staff at weapons licencing that are target shooters and know what's going on but some others don't shoot at all. What I've learnt is that is we need to cater to the ones that don't shoot, so if overall length is included a lot of heart ache can be avoided
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 17 Feb 2021, 12:18 pm

In victoria the barrel has to be 120mm or longer I was concerned buying a barrel that was 4.7 inches which is considered 119mm to Americans because they rounded the number but it is really 4.724 inches which is 120mm.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by yoshie » 18 Feb 2021, 7:06 pm

linkoln wrote:In victoria the barrel has to be 120mm or longer I was concerned buying a barrel that was 4.7 inches which is considered 119mm to Americans because they rounded the number but it is really 4.724 inches which is 120mm.

If the over all length is over 250mm ( Walther GPS, Hamerli 280, Pardini etc with the magazine infront of the trigger guard) it is excepted.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Queensland gun laws