Completely recoilless rifle - braked .22 ?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Completely recoilless rifle - braked .22 ?

Post by Octane » 02 Aug 2013, 1:23 pm

I don't actually want to do this to a .22. It's just a complete curiosity so I don't need anyone calling me a wuss :P

Does anyone know of someone putting a brake on a .22 or .17 rifle? Just curious if anyone's done such a thing to make a nearly completely recoil free rifle for the sake of experimentation?

Again, just asking, not a wuss :lol:
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Completely recoilless rifle - braked .22 ?

Post by Norton » 02 Aug 2013, 1:47 pm

Wuss :P
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Broom » 02 Aug 2013, 1:53 pm

Could your even tell the difference if it was done on a .17 or .22 ?

Pointless I would have thought...
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Spooner » 02 Aug 2013, 2:37 pm

I seriously doubt you could tell the difference on a .22...
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Chickenhawk » 02 Aug 2013, 3:13 pm

It would just be noisy as hell.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 02 Aug 2013, 3:44 pm

They do make some .17lmr rifles with factory brakes. I've been wracking my brain but for the life of me I can't remember which rifles they were.

RE: your original question though...

If you think technically about it, muzzle brakes don't reduce recoil - they redirect energy.

Without a brake, 100% of the energy is expelled forward, pushing the rifle back. With a brake, a percentage of the energy is expelled backwards/sidewards as it reaches the brake and the projectile is temporarily blocking the tip of the muzzle which forces the energy to go elsewhere, i.e. out the brake. Less forward moving energy = less recoil directed at the shooter.

For the sake of example, lets say a brake vents the energy sidewards at a 90 angle. For there to be absolutely no reward recoil, 100% of the energy would have have to be released sidewards, there could be no forward moving energy which means the projectile would have to have stopped moving completely and not cleared the muzzle. Obviously you don't want that...

A brake can only ever reduce a percentage of the recoil, never eliminate it completely, regardless of little recoil there was to start with. e.g. You couldn't balance a braked .22 on a pin and fire it expecting it to not fall off, there would still be a some tiny amount of recoil.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 05 Aug 2013, 10:50 am

There is a "recoilless rifle", this is it :D

TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 05 Aug 2013, 11:07 am

ebr love wrote:There is a "recoilless rifle", this is it :D

I do believe that's going to have more *bang* than needed if he's currently happy with a .22 :lol:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hunter257 » 17 Feb 2021, 10:40 am

I shoot some .22lr and use a Pachmyr recoil pad. So got almost no recoil on the shoulder.
I use tyhe slip on recoil pads because I'm a tall guy with arms like a gibbon so need more LOP. My 22s are a little collectible so don't want to mod the factory stock or butt pad and the slip ons add an inch of LOP.
A recoil less 22LR is pretty dull to shoot, especially at the range with ear defenders, feels very mild
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 17 Feb 2021, 11:58 am

Even a 22LR rifle will lift the muzzle under recoil, just because the barrel line is above the rest point in the shoulder so the backwards force gets redirected upwards. A muzzle break could direct some force upward at the muzzle to balance that and reduce the lift a little but there would be little reduction in the backwards force at the shoulder (not that there is much to start with).

A heavier rifle would have the same effect, my target rifle is close to 8kg in weight and recoil is almost nothing, just a barely visible lift and drop for the muzzle.
By tuning the butt plate position and muzzle break it might be possible to configure a rifle with almost no barrel movement but you would still feel a slight rearward impulse when firing, that's unavoidable.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Feb 2021, 12:30 pm

G'day Octane,
Brakes on rimfire are not uncommon at high level competition. As others have stated regardless of being smallbore there is still some muzzle flip that can be controlled by a brake if the rules permit for that class, but the most common use is to alter barrel harmonics. The downside is that the change in harmonics can be negative so you have to be cautious. Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2021, 12:31 pm

Octane wrote:I don't actually want to do this to a .22. It's just a complete curiosity so I don't need anyone calling me a wuss :P

Does anyone know of someone putting a brake on a .22 or .17 rifle? Just curious if anyone's done such a thing to make a nearly completely recoil free rifle for the sake of experimentation?

Again, just asking, not a wuss :lol:

You need "an equal and opposite reaction" to negate the rearward recoil, difficult with a non-semi-auto system.

The simplest example would be to place two identical chambered cartridges base to base and fire them simultaneously. True recoiless weapons fire a very large "blank" charge rearward to negate recoil.

For practical purposes I think you can really only redirect the recoil rather than negate it.

You could mount the action separately from the stock though, and allow the action to expend recoil energy by being pushed rearward, without pushing the stock, similar to artillery.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 17 Feb 2021, 1:38 pm

Not enough gas in a 22 or even a 22 Magnum for that matter for a muzzle brake to be effective there are however similar devices on air pistols and air rifles for competition shooting known as air strippers debatable some say they work some say they don't
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 17 Feb 2021, 2:49 pm

A 200 kilogram muzzle brake by my calculations
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bello » 19 Feb 2021, 9:10 am

Hi Guys
For a laugh one day, I walked into a gunshop and went upto the counter.
A young sales guy asked what I wanted.
I said I would like a 22LR with a muzzle break.
The look on his face was priceless. :lol:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 19 Feb 2021, 10:58 am

I've shot a few 22 short Rapid fire pistols wit brakes/ports that had zero recoil and no or even negative muzzle rise. If you're looking to have a break made, check out those old pistols. They've been banned by the International sports shooting federation now because they were like laser pistols.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by pomemax » 19 Feb 2021, 11:28 am

Have you looked on EVILBAY I thought i would
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Ruger-10 ... SwWspfakDV
quite a few
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 19 Feb 2021, 8:46 pm

I screwed a 3 port brake onto my lithgow 22 once. Can't say I noticed much difference. A brake on a 223 target rifle actually makes a useful difference though.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles