Firearm Range

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Firearm Range

Post by av1 » 14 Feb 2021, 12:07 pm

Has anyone been at Eagle Park Range within the past few months and if so what was the condition of the entry road to the range.

The reason I ask is that I have now damaged two vehicles on that road due to the unroadworthy condition of the so called road. My friends in their 4 wheel drives have also complained.

I have complained to the SSAA with no response. Would like to know if other people have issues with this road.
av1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Firearm Range

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Feb 2021, 12:28 pm

av1 wrote:Has anyone been at Eagle Park Range within the past few months and if so what was the condition of the entry road to the range.

The reason I ask is that I have now damaged two vehicles on that road due to the unroadworthy condition of the so called road. My friends in their 4 wheel drives have also complained.

I have complained to the SSAA with no response. Would like to know if other people have issues with this road.

I'd honestly suspect that it's a environmental security feature. SSPC also has a terrible driveway. I guess it would stop people from racing away from a crime if they committed it.
Member-Deleted

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 14 Feb 2021, 12:49 pm

Unless its a ssaa thing, Ripley in Queensland is no better im starting to notice a pattern.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 14 Feb 2021, 1:08 pm

SSAA operate ranges for profit, maintenance of long rural driveways would be very expensive so they won't spend a single cent unless forced by law or they believe it is reducing the number of visitors and costing them money.
Other privately run rural ranges will likely be similar, as they become more popular wear on driveways increases and only the worst pot holes will get some gravel shoveled in from time to time.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 14 Feb 2021, 1:15 pm

rc42 wrote:SSAA operate ranges for profit, maintenance of long rural driveways would be very expensive so they won't spend a single cent unless forced by law or they believe it is reducing the number of visitors and costing them money.
Other privately run rural ranges will likely be similar, as they become more popular wear on driveways increases and only the worst pot holes will get some gravel shoveled in from time to time.

Touchè good sir sad but on point.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Feb 2021, 5:45 pm

av1 wrote:Has anyone been at Eagle Park Range within the past few months and if so what was the condition of the entry road to the range.

G'day av1,
I have been there 3x recently, the road is corrugated with a few potholes, no issues for my Mazda 2, or the Falcon, my wife has no issues in the X-Trail nor does my friend in his AMG. May I suggest you drive to the conditions? The road is not SSAA property by the way it is a local council road up to the gate by paintball so you need to contact Geelong Council if you have an issue. The Range Manager contacts Council on a regular basis to arrange a grader, and Council lifts 1 finger and grades now and then, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 14 Feb 2021, 9:08 pm

As no1 said, unless it's a private road the responsibility lies with the council. Some people have no idea on how to drive on corrugated gravel roads which causes the corrugations to get worse... and will result in damage to their vehicles.

Just drive slower and try and sidestep the potholes, even if you need to hug the left side, is not like there is a lot of traffic on that road.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by av1 » 14 Feb 2021, 10:03 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:

G'day av1,
I have been there 3x recently, the road is corrugated with a few potholes, no issues for my Mazda 2, or the Falcon, my wife has no issues in the X-Trail nor does my friend in his AMG. May I suggest you drive to the conditions? The road is not SSAA property by the way it is a local council road up to the gate by paintball so you need to contact Geelong Council if you have an issue. The Range Manager contacts Council on a regular basis to arrange a grader, and Council lifts 1 finger and grades now and then, Cheers.

Thank you for the update on the road and I will venture down to the range when Covid-19 permits. I take offence at your suggestion that I do not drive to the road conditions. As an Army trained driver I know how to drive in many road conditions including snow.

The condition of the road at the time would not allow one to travel at an unsafe speed and an unsafe speed would be above 10 kph.

I send of an email to SSAA today and will share the reply with anyone that may have an interest in that road.
av1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimmyS » 14 Feb 2021, 10:10 pm

I reckon I've driven down there about 40 times in a Statesman, and I've never had any issues.

Though I haven't been in the past 4 months, so maybe it has changed?

I struggle to comprehend that you managed to damage two of your vehicles... what exactly happened? If you don't mind me asking.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 15 Feb 2021, 9:27 am

I've been down there a few times recently. I've got offroad suspension etc but it's just a bumpy dirt road. Either you had some pre existing issues with your vehicle or travelling at the wrong speed (painfully slow is not always the best).
If your friends in 4wds had issues I'd have to wonder what they think about a 4wd track...
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Feb 2021, 11:07 am

Drove there about 4 weeks ago. Road was rough but ok. I was in my buzz box doing about 50kph. 4x4 over took me doing at least 90kph. I guess driving to conditions is just opinion.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by av1 » 16 Feb 2021, 1:58 pm

This is the email sent to SSAA and their Friendly reply, and confirms the issues that they have on this road. I will now contact the relevant authorities on this issue. My details have been removed for security.

Smartass comments on forums are a fact of life, however I doubt the comments from some people where not using the road when I was on it and are not in any position to comment on the road at that point in time. I simply stated my experience and some assumed my driving ability and not driving to conditions was the main problem. I will now refrain from posting any comments on the forum. The following is my email to the SSAA

My name is and my membership number is
I wish to complain about the condition of the entry road to the Eagle Park range, I have now damaged two vehicles on that road.
Driving at close to walking speed in a standard car will cause damage to the vehicle and is compounded by vehicles driving at speed causing bodywork and windscreen damage to other vehicles. Solutions as follows:

Use a much finer road base topping on top of the rocks currently used.
Provide speed reductions measures (speed humps/barriers).
Apply for local, state or federal funding for road safety.

Understand the failure to provide safe entry to the range will reduce the number of times people will use the range or in some cases prevent people from using the range and seek out other ranges that provide more of a duty of care for their members.
Please at least consider the above issues and provide an action plan to solve this ongoing issue and in return the SSAA will be rewarded with increased attendance and therefore increased revenue.

SSAA Reply.
Thank you for your feedback on the state of Gifkins Road. Unfortunately, the road is in control of the City of Greater Geelong.

Over the years, we have tried to get the council to look at sealing the road but we have not been successful. We are constantly contacting council to have the road regraded as it quickly goes into disrepair after heavy rains which have been more frequent this summer.

We recommend, that you voice your concerns directly to the council as this will support our calls for repairs/upgrades.

Cheers

Shaun Doyle
Facilities Manager

Sporting Shooters Association of Australia (Victoria)
facilities@ssaavic.com.au
av1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimmyS » 16 Feb 2021, 2:30 pm

You don't sound like an Army man. You sound too sensitive, and request things like "action plans" in general feedback emails to firearm ranges ;)
Surely you experienced a bit of stirring in the ADF?

I'll ask again out of interest, what direct damage was inflicted to both your cars, driving down a corrugated road?

EDIT: That email you sent to SSAA would make me think you were a bit of a tosser. Gotta be honest.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 17 Feb 2021, 12:40 pm

:clap: i just love speed brakers, and you are asking for more of them. Woo hooo thanks

On a serious note i can understand your frustration anyone who has travelledon rural/gravel road know how bad corrugationscan get and yes they can damage the vehicle, but as you now know the road is not the responsibility of ssaa, like most local roads its council. No need to get upset at other people's reply. They were just helping you by point in you on the right direction.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2021, 2:45 pm

av1 wrote:Thank you for the update on the road and I will venture down to the range when Covid-19 permits. I take offence at your suggestion that I do not drive to the road conditions. As an Army trained driver I know how to drive in many road conditions including snow.

The condition of the road at the time would not allow one to travel at an unsafe speed and an unsafe speed would be above 10 kph.

I send of an email to SSAA today and will share the reply with anyone that may have an interest in that road.

Choosing to take offence at a legitimate comment is childish.
Knowing how to drive in varying road conditions does not mean that you were doing so at the time, "knowing" and "doing" are two different things entirely.
It seems to me that if you had correctly read the road conditions, and driven according to them, you would not have done any damage to your vehicle...
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Feb 2021, 4:00 pm

Funny how the "Official" response is the same as I gave you, it is a Council road not SSAA, address your concerns to Council, the Range manager is constantly trying to get Council to grade the road. As for taking offence at my comments, they were partially tongue in cheek, but I am a sub-club member as well as a Committee member and I very much doubt you have used that road as often as I and I can guarantee I used the road at the same time and condition you did. I drive a Mazda 2 most of the time, a Falcon station wagon sometimes and travel with the Mrs in her X-Trail the rest of the time and even when there were 8 to 10" deep wash outs after heavy rain/flood events I have never damaged a car. I am also a Professional Driver and do not believe that has anything to do with not suffering damage as no-one in our sub-club, some of whom use "Classic" cars like Chargers, Challengers and Citroen DS19 to get to the range have suffered damage either.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Feb 2021, 11:12 am

I like his "solutions" suggested, obviously never had any experience with road construction but gives an opinion anyway. :roll:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Quirinus » 19 Feb 2021, 1:59 pm

All you have to do is send the repair bill to the council and suggest they might want to fix the road before you tell all your friends to do the same.
Quirinus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2021, 3:43 pm

Quirinus wrote:All you have to do is send the repair bill to the council and suggest they might want to fix the road before you tell all your friends to do the same.

And this would be COGGs reply.

Dreaming.jpeg
Dreaming.jpeg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 20 Feb 2021, 6:50 am

Ahh but you never know unless you try
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 20 Feb 2021, 9:21 am

First world problems, who would of thought a dirt road would be corrugated and bumpy??? Perhaps the OP needs to stick with the tarmac of the suburbs?
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Quirinus » 22 Feb 2021, 9:48 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Quirinus wrote:All you have to do is send the repair bill to the council and suggest they might want to fix the road before you tell all your friends to do the same.

And this would be COGGs reply.

Sorry, I forgot the crucial ending:

"...before there is an accident and they take you to court. Now that you know about the problem, ignorance will not be a sufficient defence."
Quirinus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Feb 2021, 1:38 pm

I was there Sunday.
Corrugated yes but certainly not dangerous at all

Some people have nothing better to do than complain :violin:
Member-Deleted

Return to Off topic - General conversation