Lazy bastard needs an answer.. bolt to floor only (A/B)

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Lazy bastard needs an answer.. bolt to floor only (A/B)

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Feb 2021, 7:22 pm

Hey fellas, I'm kinda going through insomnia at the moment and lack the mental capacity to research this properly. I am wanting to bolt my safe down into concrete, but the place I'll be bolting it down says I can only bolt to the floor, not to the walls. Is this legal for Cat A/B? I have a Spika 4 gun safe, so I'd probably lay it down horizontally and bolt it down that way so that there is less chance of it being rocked free.
Member-Deleted

Re: Lazy bastard needs an answer.. bolt to floor only (A/B)

Post by Larry » 18 Feb 2021, 7:25 pm

In Victoria I think you would be good to go that way. I dont think they have specified the way or how to make the safe secure not like NSW where they specify the size of the bolts to be used. The later probably the better option to protect gun owners from any comeback should the safe be removed by crims.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Lsfan » 18 Feb 2021, 8:05 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:Hey fellas, I'm kinda going through insomnia at the moment and lack the mental capacity to research this properly. I am wanting to bolt my safe down into concrete, but the place I'll be bolting it down says I can only bolt to the floor, not to the walls. Is this legal for Cat A/B? I have a Spika 4 gun safe, so I'd probably lay it down horizontally and bolt it down that way so that there is less chance of it being rocked free.

4 bolts in the base only into concrete is acceptable in nsw as long as they are minimum 10mm and 90mm embedment.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Feb 2021, 9:01 pm

In Victoria just bolt it down using the holes provided. There are plenty of threads on this subject. There are various types of bolts to do this. I just used 4 dyna bolts. Cops probably won't even check. Just have a look and say bye.

For added strength i have one near the top of the safe into a stud. But seems you can't do that.

Each state varies. So I suggest you ignore info from other states.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 18 Feb 2021, 9:25 pm

Four into the base and you're good to go.

Personally I'd go wall as well and just repair it at your own expense after. A pack of spackle, a sample size of paint and a cheap roller costs under $50 all up. Much better security and peace of mind for a small sum of money and effort afterwards.

If the problem is the skirting board unable to be cut for flush access to wall then just use a pine spacer for the back of the safe where you need to drill. It'll still be more secure than not bolting it that way, and a heckava lot more convenient than laying it down.

If you do it behind a door in a back room or similar then it most likely won't even get noticed in an inspection. 98% of the time with 98% of landlords an inspection is just to make sure you aren't running a meth lab in the place and that its still in saleable/rentable condition.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Feb 2021, 10:08 pm

Or don't bolt down at all, use a 151Kg safe! If you really need to fix it to the building because like most of us you have a "normal" gun safe then Schedule 4 of the Act only requires you to "fixed to the frame of the floor OR wall of the premises", Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 19 Feb 2021, 3:09 am

a 60 kilo safe bolted to a piano should be fine
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Feb 2021, 9:23 am

Just so people are aware, I'm storing it at a storage facility. They will only allow me to bolt into the concrete floor. I can't afford a new 151kg safe. The safe only has two holes in the back and two in the bottom.
Member-Deleted

Post by yoshie » 19 Feb 2021, 11:00 am

BangWhizzClack wrote:Just so people are aware, I'm storing it at a storage facility. They will only allow me to bolt into the concrete floor. I can't afford a new 151kg safe. The safe only has two holes in the back and two in the bottom.

You can always drill some more holes in it. I've got mine bolted to the studs and noggins and the standard holes are never in the right place
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2021, 11:26 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Or don't bolt down at all, use a 151Kg safe! If you really need to fix it to the building because like most of us you have a "normal" gun safe then Schedule 4 of the Act only requires you to "fixed to the frame or the floor OR wall of the premises", Cheers.

Again,,,,,this /\

If it has 2 holes just use them. If cops ask about it just tell them you expect it to be compliant because that's how you bought it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 19 Feb 2021, 12:58 pm

yoshie wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:The safe only has two holes in the back and two in the bottom.

You can always drill some more holes in it.

Yeah, drill two more holes. Easy. You'll be drilling into the concrete anyway.

Don't overthink this, writing on the 'net won't get your safe installed.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Hatchet Jack » 19 Feb 2021, 2:43 pm

I've been checked a couple of times by the blues in Vic, the first time they asker if it was bolted, the second time they never mentioned it. Both times I had guns not on their list. The second time one of the rifles id owned for 18 months at that point. I asked how long the paper work had been on their desk, he just laughed and said a while. Mind you the second time they didn't phone ahead and the main cop said he likes to do that so he can catch people out. I had two rifles in the ute at the time as id been target shooting earlier, thankfully it was locked.
Hatchet Jack
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Feb 2021, 3:36 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Return to Victorian gun laws