Shopping for first centrefire.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Shopping for first centrefire.

Post by DaveZ » 15 Feb 2021, 9:08 pm

Hi all.
I've been throwing options around in my head for months on what to get for a general purpose hunting centrefire, my first centrefire. I've settled on a 243 as the caliber as it will be my only centrefire for a while and could get called on for anything from foxes to pigs and maybe even a deer, maybe. I've got a self imposed $2000 budget and have put a combo together. I know I'm asking for confusion to be thrown my way but thought I'd throw it out there to see if the combo will work or if there is anything that stands out that needs to be changed before I pull the trigger, so to speak.

Howa 1500 SPIKE SPORTER
22" SPORTER BARREL
PIC RAIL
BOYD SPIKE CAMP STOCK
Stainless Barrel
$890

LEUPOLD
VX3I 3.5-10X40
LE170680 MATTE DUPLEX
$775

Harris bipod - $218.

I went with the laminate timber stock as I want to run a bipod for shooting off flat surfaces, car bonnets, target shooting etc. The scope is about as good as I can squeeze into the budget without cheaping out on the rifle.

Thoughts?
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Shopping for first centrefire.

Post by LawrenceA » 15 Feb 2021, 9:37 pm

You can't go wrong with Howa for the money or a Leupold VX3.

I have never used a thumbhole stock for hunting on foot.
Still hunting you won't have a problem.

May need to do a little on the bedding and the trigger but only time will tell.
Have fun
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 16 Feb 2021, 5:02 am

Sounds like a good combination. Probably best to take a few test shots, see where it is grouping then have the action bedded, and go from there. I have a 243 and it it suits me down to the ground.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Hatchet Jack » 16 Feb 2021, 10:44 am

Don't forget your mounts and rings. Do not cheap out on them or you will regret it when the gun can't hold zero.
Hatchet Jack
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Feb 2021, 6:43 pm

A popular QLD funshop sell the stainless sporter for $690. The 243 is a fire breathing 6mm, hope you enjoy the flames blasting from your muzzle. Looks great when you are spotlighting.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Feb 2021, 6:46 pm

Sorry, I now understand that the "Spike" is a thumbhole laminate stock.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by DaveZ » 16 Feb 2021, 6:46 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. Should be a nice package for the money I think.

SCJ429 wrote:A popular QLD funshop sell the stainless sporter for $690. The 243 is a fire breathing 6mm, hope you enjoy the flames blasting from your muzzle. Looks great when you are spotlighting.

With the timber stock? I want something rigid enough to mount a bipod on. And everything I've read about the Hogue stock seems to say the same, not much good.

Cheers,
Dave.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Feb 2021, 6:53 pm

Sorry Dave, I realised my mistake. Yes the laminate stock is better. I have a Boyd's thumbhole stock which I take hunting, very comfortable.

I also like the 243, lots of horsepower. Just remember your hearing protection, or you will end up like me.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by DaveZ » 16 Feb 2021, 8:37 pm

Copy on the hearing protection. I already have some damage from heavy machinery and not being as diligent as I should have been in years gone by, so more wary of it now.

Submitted my PTA tonight so hopefully not too far away.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 16 Feb 2021, 9:00 pm

DaveZ wrote:Hi all.
I've been throwing options around in my head for months on what to get for a general purpose hunting centrefire, my first centrefire. I've settled on a 243 as the caliber as it will be my only centrefire for a while and could get called on for anything from foxes to pigs and maybe even a deer, maybe. I've got a self imposed $2000 budget and have put a combo together. I know I'm asking for confusion to be thrown my way but thought I'd throw it out there to see if the combo will work or if there is anything that stands out that needs to be changed before I pull the trigger, so to speak.

Howa 1500 SPIKE SPORTER
22" SPORTER BARREL
PIC RAIL
BOYD SPIKE CAMP STOCK
Stainless Barrel
$890

LEUPOLD
VX3I 3.5-10X40
LE170680 MATTE DUPLEX
$775

Harris bipod - $218.

I went with the laminate timber stock as I want to run a bipod for shooting off flat surfaces, car bonnets, target shooting etc. The scope is about as good as I can squeeze into the budget without cheaping out on the rifle.

Thoughts?

buy a bipod and sling etc online and save hundreds. I have 3 bipods all for under $30 each and not one of them has ever been problematic.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 16 Feb 2021, 9:04 pm

DaveZ wrote:Copy on the hearing protection. I already have some damage from heavy machinery and not being as diligent as I should have been in years gone by, so more wary of it now.

Submitted my PTA tonight so hopefully not too far away.

Years in shearing sheds as a kid and again now, years of fabricating with the obligatory grinders etc, years of building with loud drills and drop saws etc, years and years and years of shooting, then worst of all years and years of playing live on stage, I am only now bothered by the noise, bought my first elec muffs two years ago, bought a better set this year.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 16 Feb 2021, 11:29 pm

+1 on hearing protection. Constant tinnitus combined with hearing loss is a bastard!
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 17 Feb 2021, 5:03 am

WHAT! PRINT BIGGER..............I CAN'T HEAR YOU.
No seriously, I use ear protection all the time when shooting, especially with my 243.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 17 Feb 2021, 10:06 am

Hi Mate
Have you thought about a 2nd hand scope.
Can sometimes pickup a descent scope for a good price on some second hand gun sites.
Will you be reloading for the 243 of buying off the shelf ammo.
If you reload, can I suggest 87gr V-max. Its a nice medium, not too light, not too heavy, I find it to be a good all round projectile.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 17 Feb 2021, 10:58 am

I was away recently and ran out of my usual handloads. Went into the nearest town and bought a couple of boxes of OSA Buffalo River 243 ammo with 87 grn V-Max projectile. Damn near matched my own handloads. I would use them again.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Col » 17 Feb 2021, 12:15 pm

Congratulations on choosing a 243, cant go wrong with such an all round calibre. I would add one thing to Bugman's comment. If buying Buffalo River ammo to start with, keep the brass, even if you dont plan on reloading yet. It is bloody good brass and will be fireformed for your rifle if you do go down that path.

Hearing protection is a must, like so many others here I have poor hearing due to shooting, shearing sheds general farming etc. It is too precious not to protect. Have fun.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 17 Feb 2021, 6:51 pm

87 v max is cheap accurate versatile and destroys everything in its path
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by DaveZ » 18 Feb 2021, 5:49 am

Bello wrote:Hi Mate
Have you thought about a 2nd hand scope.
Can sometimes pickup a descent scope for a good price on some second hand gun sites.
Will you be reloading for the 243 of buying off the shelf ammo.
If you reload, can I suggest 87gr V-max. Its a nice medium, not too light, not too heavy, I find it to be a good all round projectile.

I did think about that but I have a track record of buying used products with concealed issues, so prefer to buy new when I can.

I'd love to have a go at reloading but realistically I don't think I would make the time for it right now so it'll be factory ammo for now.

Cheers,
Dave.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Feb 2021, 9:29 pm

Howa's are popular,,,but heavy to lug around.

Light weight with a 22" barrel is the go. You want the gun under 8lb all up. Lighter the better.

Edit: always wear hearing protection when at range of just playing. Hunting is a bit different, I usually don't then.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 18 Feb 2021, 10:12 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Light weight with a 22" barrel is the go. You want the gun under 8lb all up. Lighter the better.

Ruger American Ranch or Compact variants with 18" barrel - they're about 6 pounds empty. Synthetic stock, twin aluminium bedding blocks. All up with a modest scope (eg Leupold Rifleman 2~7 or 4~12x40) they weigh about 7lb loaded and rip sub-MOA groups with cheap factory ammo. Very handy. I'm happy to leave the 50~100fps on the table with that length barrel in a 223/308.

If you're really into BD/SM then substitute the scope for a small red-dot like Victoptics 1x18 (clone of the Sig Romeo Zero) and the whole combination comes down even further. Should you be wondering about the accuracy of such a combination it'll easily do a playing card size group at 100m. It really depends on what your needs and expectations are, as well as the local terrain.

I'm sure the combo you've chosen will do a marvelous job. If it hits the right spot for you that's all that matters.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Blr243 » 19 Feb 2021, 6:12 am

On my December trip away I put a small holo red dot on my 243 ..it was surprising how very accurate that can be with the brightness adjusted down to fine dot ( dot kept high and bright when walking so I can find the dot quick if I’m in a hurry , and then adjusted Down fine if I have time and am aiming at a relaxed target )
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by DaveZ » 19 Feb 2021, 8:15 am

Thanks everyone, a few things there to think about. If I could lift my budget a bit it would open up a lot more options as far as the rifle and scope go, but it seems that being pickier about one, compromises the other. I've never used a red dot so will look into that as an option. Trying to save some coin for a deposit on house/block of land so really trying to keep to my budget.

Cheers,
Dave.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2021, 11:54 am

This is your 1st centrefire. Its not for competion, its for hunting. A 3" , 3 shot group at 200 yards is plenty good enough.

This will be fine.

Screenshot_20210219-124841_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20210219-124841_DuckDuckGo.jpg (449.41 KiB) Viewed 4359 times

No need to spend more than $400 on a scope.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2021, 12:08 pm

I have 2 Marlin X7s. (223 & 30-06) Both shoot under moa with hand loads. No longer in production but if you can get one cheap <$600 grab it.
Look and are cheap but shoot great.

There are plenty of budget priced rifles out there and 90% are plenty good enough for hunting.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DaveZ » 19 Feb 2021, 12:21 pm

If that's the case, then I could probably get something like this Ruger

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifl ... 26924.html

Although I'm back to a synthetic stock. Thoughts on the suitability for mounting a bipod on the this stock? There is also the compact version of that rifle for the same money that is lighter again.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2021, 12:49 pm

Someone here will have a Ruger American. There 22lr has a good name. Havent got one myself.

Don't knock plastic stocks they don't scratch and not effected by rain. When they first come out they cost more than timber. Lol Now the cheapest.

Bipods are good and very popular. But I don't like them so use collapsible shooting sticks. Not for everyone but worth thinking about.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 19 Feb 2021, 12:54 pm

Hi mate, I don't think you'd have trouble mounting a fairly standard bipod to the stock. The action mounts with twin aluminium bedding pillars that are contoured to positively seat the action into the stock. The forestock is hollow honeycomb synthetic but rigid enough given the weight of the rifle.

The compact stock isn't as rigid as the American unfortunately - its a smaller, lighter design and it shows. Still usable but I would probably hold off putting a bipod on it unless its quite small/light/basic.

If you're serious about the American check out Cleavers - they offer it in standard black stock, blued action variant for $1245 including a Vortex Crossfire 3~9x40.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2021, 1:02 pm

:D Black is beautiful. :thumbsup:

20210219_135936.jpg
20210219_135936.jpg (182.45 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by DaveZ » 19 Feb 2021, 2:33 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Don't knock plastic stocks they don't scratch and not effected by rain. When they first come out they cost more than timber. Lol Now the cheapest.

Bipods are good and very popular. But I don't like them so use collapsible shooting sticks. Not for everyone but worth thinking about.

I don't have an issue with plastic, it's more the lack of rigidity people talk about in the Hogue stocks that come with the Howas. Made me want to stay away from that material for the purpose of rigidity.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2021, 3:51 pm

Similar to the above deal. No scope.

Screenshot_20210219-164650_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20210219-164650_DuckDuckGo.jpg (736.73 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles