Good Air Rifle?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Good Air Rifle?

Post by Dogga85 » 16 Feb 2021, 1:52 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking at adding an air rifle to my small firearm collection, I'd prefer something that's break barrel, as I'm not keen on cartridges, however i'd be happy to consider cartridges if they're quieter etc. I'm definitely after recommendations of the quietest rifles, and if you can get multiple shot over single shot per break? something just to shoot for fun and also small game hunting / pest control (birds, rats etc). 117CAL also.

Any advice is much appreciated :)
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Good Air Rifle?

Post by rc42 » 16 Feb 2021, 4:32 pm

CO2 or PCP will generally be quieter but pest control needs power so they are out anyway, except for high end field target PCP but they are expensive plus you need compressed air, you can get semi auto models if your pockets are deep enough, they would be cool.

At the budget end Gamo do a reasonable 'break barrel repeater' that has a small magazine on the barrel so you just break and re-set the barrel without having to insert a pellet each time, noise levels and accuracy aren't much different between them.
22LR is also an option, CCI Quiet will have the same noise level as an air rifle but a lot more power (and more cost), you can also fire an air rifle upwards (with some care) as long as you know what's behind the target for 100m or so, a falling pellet is as harmless as a small hail stone but that isn't the case for 22LR and the range extends by a couple of km.

There aren't many species you can legally hunt in QLD and you need to be on rural property or a range to discharge an air rifle so be careful whatever your choice.

I have an Umarex (Ruger) 10/22 CO2 repeater (technically a 10 shot revolver rather than semi auto) which will take out empty tin cans easily and is a great plinker and a Walther under lever which is a good small pest hunting or field target grade rifle, prices were about $250 and $900 respectively.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Dogga85 » 16 Feb 2021, 4:53 pm

Thanks mate, yes this will be used on a rural property (150 acres). The Swarm Fox or the Replay 10 look like they could suit what i'm after
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 16 Feb 2021, 5:55 pm

There will be video reviews of most models on youtube, I always look there when I'm considering a new firearm.
There are some channels that do nothing but review air rifles and they are really good.

I've handled the Gamo in the dealer store, build quality felt good but I went with a Crossman TR77NPS which was a single shot break barrel nitro piston, that had to go fairly quickly due to noise, it claimed 1200fps and the pellets came out super-sonic so quite a 'crack' when it fired, that throws the accuracy to as they become unstable as they slow to sub-sonic in flight.

For 150 acres I'd be looking at 22LR for the extra range, a basic bolt action if budget is tight, otherwise a lever action as they are way more fun, second hand is a good option for powder rifles too.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 17 Feb 2021, 6:42 am

Air rifle barrels should last forever unless abused, maybe look for a used Wheirauch HW-80 in .22 ?
Any spring or piston seal issues can be sorted by contacting Jim Maccari in the US, excellent bloke.
Be aware that any scope and mounts have to be damn strong on a springer, IME the Bushnell Trophy 4x12x40 will last.
I have a US mfg B-Square mount which works,
There are some excellent air rifle sites ex the US.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 17 Feb 2021, 9:05 am

Quality break barrel? In one word , Weihrauch
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Dogga85 » 17 Feb 2021, 7:44 pm

Thanks guys. I've seen a ATI STRIKEFORCE STOCK
RUGER 10/22, but no where in the description does it state what action firearm it is? From a quick google it comes up as semi automatic, but I'm assuming that's USA models...?
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 17 Feb 2021, 11:55 pm

The 'action' is 'air' when you submit your Cat A PTA in QLD for any air rifle whether it's break barrel, underlever, CO2 or PCP.
The Umarex/Ruger 10/22 is a fun plinker for tin cans but hasn't enough power for humane hunting of anything, except maybe a Cane Toad if you have the muzzle resting on its head.

The AIT Strikeforce Stock Ruger 10/22 is just a replacement stock that fits the Ruger 10/22 semi auto rimfire rifle so you need to supply the barreled action and install it, or it could be a 10/22 with the stock already fitted, I'd need to see the advert to be sure.

The rimfire Ruger 10/22 is a 10 shot 22LR semi-auto so you'd need a Cat C license to get the PTA. If you cut off one of your hands you may be able to justify the need for a semi auto because you are now disabled and can't operate a bolt or lever but it probably wouldn't be worth it.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tilb004 » 19 Feb 2021, 8:00 pm

[quote="Dogga85"]Hey guys,

I'm looking at adding an air rifle to my small firearm collection, I'd prefer something that's break barrel, as I'm not keen on cartridges, however i'd be happy to consider cartridges if they're quieter etc. I'm definitely after recommendations of the quietest rifles, and if you can get multiple shot over single shot per break? something just to shoot for fun and also small game hunting / pest control (birds, rats etc). 117CAL also.

Any advice is much appreciated :)[/quote

Gday dogga

Mates got a fx crown and is pretty impressive.
3500 psi of pressure, gets 80 shoots per air charge.
But for 3k it would wanna be good
Tilb
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Feb 2021, 10:48 pm

My favourite springer was the Weihrauch 97K .22
I fitted mine with a spring kit, it was awesome ... for an air rifle.
But to be honest, a .22lr is far more practical and versatile as you can load it with whisper quiet z shots, up to full noise rounds to take out rabbits way beyond what any air puffer will do and it can be reloaded in a flash.
The novelty of plnking with pop guns wears out real fast.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Dogga85 » 20 Feb 2021, 9:48 am

on_one_wheel wrote:My favourite springer was the Weihrauch 97K .22
I fitted mine with a spring kit, it was awesome ... for an air rifle.
But to be honest, a .22lr is far more practical and versatile as you can load it with whisper quiet z shots, up to full noise rounds to take out rabbits way beyond what any air puffer will do and it can be reloaded in a flash.
The novelty of plnking with pop guns wears out real fast.

I completely get that. The bonus of an air rifle for me at the moment is I can teach my young in the safety of firearms etc. I do plan on getting a Tikka T1X .22LR
Dogga85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Feb 2021, 11:04 am

Check out the Weihrauch range, the underlever rifles are the most powerful and accurate, however the heavy springs might make reloading difficult or impossible for a youngster, the felt recoil from the spring might also develop a flinch in kids.
If I were to buy a springer for my kids I'd buy a cheap kids sized break action like an old Telly Relum, their perfect for kids and really cheap.
They'll be able to reload it all day long without getting sore arms. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 21 Feb 2021, 6:48 pm

Shooting RWS Superpoints or Super H Points this would almost certainly see a kid free the area of smaller pest birds at 30 metres range.
Probably a leather piston seal but that rubbed well with a little auto grease and soap would see an effective reco.
Gecado are German, after WW2 I think the Poms took the Diana name.
I have killed hundreds of Indian Mynah and starling with a cheap Chicom copy of this rifle.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=194199
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles