.303 Trail Boss loads?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

.303 Trail Boss loads?

Post by snag » 30 Mar 2019, 6:57 pm

Does anyone out there have a .303 Trail Boss load for 174 gn jacketed projectiles? I know that you can calculate the load by filling the case, weighing the powder etc., but I like to use proven loads. Thanks.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: .303 Trail Boss loads?

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Mar 2019, 7:22 pm

I don't have one but a friend shoots his 303 with wad cutters with TB and uses 10 to 13 grains. I think they were all subsonic.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Mar 2019, 11:08 pm

I have loaded MkVI projectiles with 15g of TB, and 180g Hawkesbury at 15g also. The HBRC performed better at 1300fps vs !220 for the MkVI in my MLLE but both are quite dull. 55g of 3F BP in the Metford with MkVII 174g shot quite well but forgot to bring the chrony that day. Start at 12g and work up in .5 increments, you will likely get to 17 odd before accuracy turns to crap and remember, at all times DO NOT compress TB, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Mar 2019, 1:38 pm

snag wrote:Does anyone out there have a .303 Trail Boss load for 174 gn jacketed projectiles? I know that you can calculate the load by filling the case, weighing the powder etc., but I like to use proven loads. Thanks.

Start at 15gn and move either side of there for best accuracy.
Any proven load is only proven in the specific firearm, work up your own loads. I've been down to 500fps in the .303.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 31 Mar 2019, 6:28 pm

I use trail boss in 303. I use 180 lead proj. I also use 125 and 135 gn jacketed proj ....there is nothing wrong with the trailboss case capacity 70 per cent up to 100 per cent rules... It’s safe unless u start compressing the powder
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by snag » 31 Mar 2019, 10:41 pm

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JJD » 31 Jan 2021, 6:24 am

Does anyone know where I might start with a load for 150 grain jacketed? I picked up some trailboss yesterday and I can’t find much published for 303.
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jan 2021, 4:02 pm

Start by useing enough powder to ensure the base of the seated projectile just touches it Then weigh that powder. That’s your max. 70 per cent of that weight is fine too. That’s your minimum And u can have anything in between. There is little trailboss loads listed anywhere because what I just wrote works with any calibre. It’s A universal system. DONT COMPRESS IT these are the trailboss rules. not sticking to the trailboss rules may see you blowing up your rifle, or yourself, or both.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Jan 2021, 4:09 pm

I must add ....sometimes , possibly In some calibres 70 per cent May Give you a squib load ......it’s best to shoot your max load First and then start shooting loads 1/2 grain less and Keep working down to get to the speed you desire. Pay very close attention with reduced loads to ensure that the bullet does actually leave the barrel every time ......if it does not u have a dangerous barrell obstruction ....it happened to me once but I noticed, and I cleared the barrel before more shooting
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JJD » 01 Feb 2021, 10:27 am

Awesome thanks mate!
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marrinup » 22 Feb 2021, 3:20 pm

Trail Boss is for cowboy action guns and for only punching paper, I tried it in my 45-75, 30-30 and 303 and it was a waste of time and effort.
marrinup
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Feb 2021, 3:33 pm

G'day marrinup,
It's a good fun powder for S's n Gig's, also for sub-sonic play. Don't forget that some of us have okd military rifles that were made in the black powder era, as well as some sporting rifles from the same time, so perhaps "cowboy action" should read "old stuff"? Black Powder is still more fun of course, but TB is good for lazy days and with the right load is still capable of taking game in the appropriate circumstances such as my Metford, 180g pill at 1300fps over 50 to 75 yards is still over 600 ft/lb and quite able to take thin skinned game, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2021, 6:06 pm

marrinup wrote:Trail Boss is for cowboy action guns and for only punching paper, I tried it in my 45-75, 30-30 and 303 and it was a waste of time and effort.

Seems to drop foxes very effectively.
I use it in .204, .223, .243, five different 6.5mm chamberings, 7mm-08, .303, .30-06, 8x57mm, .44 Mag, you get the idea, I've even tried it in 12ga. It's bloody good fun :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JJD » 25 Feb 2021, 9:01 pm

Say again Blade? Trailboss in 223? Sounds awesome. I’ve got a 223 on the way and a big bottle of trailboss so I might have to have a crack at that.
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 25 Feb 2021, 9:06 pm

When u first get a big bottle of trailboss u think that it’s going to last you a lifetime but it ends up dwindling like everting else I found it useful for low loads in a range of cals and bullet weights except for when I tried to push 525 ‘s in my 4570 ....I could not get enough powder in the case to push it along fast enough
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2021, 9:16 pm

JJD wrote:Say again Blade? Trailboss in 223? Sounds awesome. I’ve got a 223 on the way and a big bottle of trailboss so I might have to have a crack at that.

Yep, I use TB in everything for fun low-noise loads and reduced hunting loads.
ADI actually lists TB loads in their .223Rem data.
Bulk bullets ($600/6000) and TB makes for very cheap shooting in the .223Rem.
Or get a .225" mould and make your own bullets out of recovered .22LR bullets.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2021, 9:17 pm

Blr243 wrote:When u first get a big bottle of trailboss u think that it’s going to last you a lifetime but it ends up dwindling like everting else I found it useful for low loads in a range of cals and bullet weights except for when I tried to push 525 ‘s in my 4570 ....I could not get enough powder in the case to push it along fast enough

Yes, part of its charm is that it can reach a saturation limit where adding more powder doesn't make any more velocity or pressure.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 02 Mar 2021, 12:13 am

marrinup wrote:Trail Boss is for cowboy action guns and for only punching paper, I tried it in my 45-75, 30-30 and 303 and it was a waste of time and effort.

Further to what others have said, its great for close-ish sniping of bunny's with small cal centrefire rifles-& as for waste of time & effort, every bunny ive headshot out to 120-ish yds with typical 22 cal tipped bullet leaving the barrel at speeds well below 2000fps ends up headless, & if body shot the mess is...well...messy...so they still very effective for hunting, yet are easy to shoot, very quiet, & can crank 10 rounds flat out & things only starting to get warm.

I also carry a dozen 80-ish% load density rounds with bullets that dont work in my rifles, or with pulled/partially damaged/or donated ones, for use to put animals down. Say hitting a mob of goats, you can go around & safely knock the wounded off without having to use full power loads. Very handy for that.!

Then there is using it for those new shooter anxious types that want to move from rimfire to centrefire but are worried about the recoil because of the noise.
I had nephew out recently & he didnt want a bar of the 204 after seeing the muzzle flash & hearing the sound from me letting a round go over the bonnet at a 150 yd bunny under spotlight (night time). Just no way i could get him behind the rifle that night.
But next day a few rounds of reduced trailboss loads, followed by a couple of full loads into a target, & 3 hours later he shot his first bunny in the head at 100 yds, then 120, then 150, then a fox at 180 all with full loads & a complete turnaround in confidence. :thumbsup: (admittedly then was a turnaround in results too because he got cocky as it all seemed to easy, so the process of shooting i taught him got swapped for a quick yank with a miss, & me telling him to concentrate on what ive told him & stop wasting my ammo :lol: )

So as for waste of time & effort--mate youre missing out mate...!!
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition