If you could change one gun law

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by No1_49er » 28 Mar 2021, 7:26 am

I give up.
I thought that the title of this thread was "If you could change one gun law"?
I come here thinking that something sensible has been said. My bad - why should I bother any more?
The crap that is being written makes one wonder about the term "fit and proper".
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 28 Mar 2021, 11:02 am

Oldbloke wrote:Yep, still all talk. You haven't immigrated yet mate. Or are you in the USA already?

I hear there's plenty of return flight to the USA at the moment, lots of people coming in but no one wants to go over. He might get a cheap ticket.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 28 Mar 2021, 11:47 am

No1_49er wrote:I give up.
I come here thinking that something sensible has been said. My bad - why should I bother any more?
The crap that is being written makes one wonder about the term "fit and proper".

fit and proper has no definition in the act... so how can you make an assertion that the government itself cant make?

that and there is one major child on here, not myself trolls so take a hike, who continues to throw every thread slightly political into a complete sewer cos he cant handle even one person disagreeing with him or presenting an alternative view point or information. to which he then just proceeds to make non sequitur and misnomer filled vitriolic assumptions and runs with them as if that was what everyone was talking about, all in an attempt to derail someone's alternative view to his own, old, dated, baseless and irrelevant mindset. its a classical re-enactment of that wanker in primary school who repeats s**t they heard their dad talking about but have no idea about what they are on about. when met with alternatives or corrections they have a meltdown and start bullying trying to rally a pack behind them to try and beat down the opposition with condescension and slander and abuse. so naturally anyone standing up for themselves will serve the douchebag in return. a smart arse with no smarts, a smug tosser that has coasted through life using the same bully tactics on every human obstacle and thinks its perfectly acceptable. I'll leave it up to your imagination who it is.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 28 Mar 2021, 1:18 pm

Me thinks it was you Ziggy, while looking at yourself in the mirror
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2021, 1:45 pm

Ziege wrote:
No1_49er wrote:I give up.

fit and proper has no definition in the act... so how can you make an assertion that the government itself cant make?

that and there is one major child on here, not myself trolls so take a hike, who continues to throw every thread slightly political into a complete sewer cos he cant handle even one person disagreeing with him or presenting an alternative view point or information. to which he then just proceeds to make non sequitur and misnomer filled vitriolic assumptions and runs with them as if that was what everyone was talking about, all in an attempt to derail someone's alternative view to his own, old, dated, baseless and irrelevant mindset. its a classical re-enactment of that wanker in primary school who repeats s**t they heard their dad talking about but have no idea about what they are on about. when met with alternatives or corrections they have a meltdown and start bullying trying to rally a pack behind them to try and beat down the opposition with condescension and slander and abuse. so naturally anyone standing up for themselves will serve the douchebag in return. a smart arse with no smarts, a smug tosser that has coasted through life using the same bully tactics on every human obstacle and thinks its perfectly acceptable. I'll leave it up to your imagination who it is.

I see you doing your best to put yourself in the best light again. :allegedly:
:sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Your just fantastic.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 28 Mar 2021, 11:00 pm

trolls all took the bait, was way too easy
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 29 Mar 2021, 12:07 am

Getting pump shot guns would would be nice you get lots of flexibility in them but I don't have any say in the matter I did see a argument about moving here or us moving there let's face it no one wants to because of extended family and others but we have a good number of you guys here and everyone is very hard working and great guys.
Out side of guns you guys do have much in the way of outdoors that would interest many here but I wouldn't leave my home to live there so don't get to worked up over it.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Mar 2021, 8:09 am

Ziege wrote:trolls all took the bait, was way too easy

Is that all you can come up with sook?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 29 Mar 2021, 12:48 pm

Ziege wrote:trolls all took the bait, was way too easy

What bait was that Ziggy? Your bait was pretty rancid (albeit your comments) ,so how could it be taken.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Tomotron » 01 Apr 2021, 2:41 pm

nords wrote:If you could change one gun law to get something you wanted or for things to happen the way you think is better, what would it be :D

I'm voting get rid of the PTA system here so we don't have to wait forever for nothing.

Not just one, but pretty much everything, except safe storage laws (with some modifications) and safety courses. Abolish the NFA (including goals and federal/state/territory-associated legislation) and start fresh. Have a look at Czech, Austrian or Swiss firearm laws and adopt those (since they work and don't cause/have problems). Allow self defense/castle doctrine as a genuine reason for firearms and introduce protections for those things. Potentially allow concealed carry and maybe open carry in certain situations e.g. rural areas, including towns of a certain size, similar to what California has.

TL;DR: Firm, but very fair laws.
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by womble » 01 Apr 2021, 6:45 pm

No you have to pick one
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tomotron » 01 Apr 2021, 9:29 pm

womble wrote:No you have to pick one

Very well then, but my reply above still stands. The most beneficial single law change in my opinion, would be to allow greater access to semi-autos.
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by womble » 02 Apr 2021, 12:52 am

That’s an excellent answer.
And i think a very interesting and complex one to address.
Should we or should we not have bans on semi-autos.
There is a difference between owning a 5 inch grinder and an 8 inch grinder for example.
Discuss
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tomotron » 02 Apr 2021, 11:19 am

womble wrote:That’s an excellent answer.
And i think a very interesting and complex one to address.
Should we or should we not have bans on semi-autos.
There is a difference between owning a 5 inch grinder and an 8 inch grinder for example.
Discuss

Thank you, yeah that's pretty much it.
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tilb004 » 02 Apr 2021, 2:30 pm

Lorgar wrote:Suppressors.

I'd still like my ears to work over the next few decades.

+1
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 02 Apr 2021, 4:41 pm

Why do we need gun laws .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 02 Apr 2021, 4:53 pm

pomemax wrote:Why do we need gun laws .

Inclined to agree that we don't. Making something "double illegal" is a fallacy that so many buy into.

Its already illegal to assault someone, murder someone, harass someone, intimidate someone, threaten someone, stalk someone, injure someone intentionally (outside of sports that is), so the means of doing so is kind of irrelevant, lets say they do it bare handed, sure then its plain old assault or whatever, thats already the case, lets say they use a weapon (of any sort) its now upgraded to aggravated/deadly weapon etc, again already the case. So restricting people who do not commit these offenses from owning and accessing them is a moot point entirely.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by womble » 02 Apr 2021, 5:40 pm

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Apr 2021, 3:49 am

When I go into my local supermarket when they are servicing the self-serve checkouts I wonder that the "guards" are lawfully entitled to carry weapons to defend insured cash but I can't defend my family with those same tools even though I have them locked up in my safe storage facility with ammunition locked in a separate secure location. I can't even have a stick under my bed because that would be premeditation. Shakespeare said "the law is an ass" and I think he may have been right.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Apr 2021, 6:02 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:When I go into my local supermarket when they are servicing the self-serve checkouts I wonder that the "guards" are lawfully entitled to carry weapons to defend insured cash but I can't defend my family with those same tools even though I have them locked up in my safe storage facility with ammunition locked in a separate secure location. I can't even have a stick under my bed because that would be premeditation. Shakespeare said "the law is an ass" and I think he may have been right.

That's a good point Jim. Armoured cars have armed guards. Is cash more important than our family's lives? Im not sure what their rules if engagement are?

I suspect its self preservation/defence only.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 04 Apr 2021, 6:28 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:When I go into my local supermarket when they are servicing the self-serve checkouts I wonder that the "guards" are lawfully entitled to carry weapons to defend insured cash but I can't defend my family with those same tools even though I have them locked up in my safe storage facility with ammunition locked in a separate secure location. I can't even have a stick under my bed because that would be premeditation. Shakespeare said "the law is an ass" and I think he may have been right.

That's a good point Jim. Armoured cars have armed guards. Is cash more important than our family's lives? Im not sure what their rules if engagement are?

I suspect its self preservation/defence only.

I'm in the mind of thinking its a visual deterrent. Average person chasing a quick buck sees someone carrying a sidearm and they will more than likely think twice. Same person sees two guards unarmed moving cash may think its worth a go. Just like a barking dog good chance they are a big ball of butter all bark no bite but you never know.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 04 Apr 2021, 8:08 pm

Security dogs ain’t bluffing.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 04 Apr 2021, 8:15 pm

These new SA police dogs that they can deploy with drones .
Would not like to end up on the wrong end of one.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAEuvmnWE_Y
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 05 Apr 2021, 8:06 pm

I’d want them to get rid of the requirement to have a licence and to be able to conceal or open carry

nords wrote:If you could change one gun law to get something you wanted or for things to happen the way you think is better, what would it be :D

I'm voting get rid of the PTA system here so we don't have to wait forever for nothing.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2021, 9:45 pm

Rider888 wrote:I’d want them to get rid of the requirement to have a licence and to be able to conceal or open carry

Really, what are you afraid of? Do you really think our society is so dangerous that you need to carry a side arm in a public place?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 06 Apr 2021, 5:05 am

I think women should be allowed to if they live in Sydney or Melbourne.
The muggings and crime starting to look like 1980’s USA. Per population stats would be interesting, but politically theres no crime in our city, theres no gangs in our city.
Different cities/states handled it different ways. Some went heavy on policing, zero tolerance, built more jails.
Others allowed citizens to defend themselves.
Don’t know what the answer is here, but we’re moving into an age where police and criminals are armed, citizens are not.
Peaceful law abiding people are just plump little seals for sharks to feed on.

Generally we just get calls for more police but man we’re really heavily policed in Victoria and all these armed guys in uniforms and helicopters surveillance. It’s a shame it’s necessary, but it’s not a comfortable place to live anymore.
I’m putting it down to ice. It’s just everywhere in all classes of society, all the tradies, truck drivers. Well not all, but people are losing the plot all the time here.
That’s the real pandemic, no-one talks about.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 06 Apr 2021, 5:38 am

I think you've got it wrong there, Womble.
If it's good enough for women in Sydney or Melbourne, surely it's good enough for everywhere.
And what's with the gender inequality of only allowing women to so equip themselves.

From a statistical point of view, this little video is worth a look https://www.youtube.com/embed/pELwCqz2J ... oplay=true
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 06 Apr 2021, 4:28 pm

I think it would improve womens equality. Feel safer going out and at home. And even deter predators.

Plus women don’t commit mass shootings, rarely commit murder. So i don’t see any valid argument against a woman owning a handgun for self defence. That’s all they’d use it for.

The video dose’nt really sell it’s message to me sorry. All undeveloped countries, mostly with civil strife and armed conflict. And very different cultures to here. Anywhere in South America celebrates death and violence. The whole country is a giant death cult.
Comparing apples to oranges.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 07 Apr 2021, 8:21 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Rider888 wrote:I’d want them to get rid of the requirement to have a licence and to be able to conceal or open carry

Really, what are you afraid of? Do you really think our society is so dangerous that you need to carry a side arm in a public place?

Sure why not. It's more to do with rights than anything else.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Farmerpete » 07 Apr 2021, 7:27 pm

I'm changing my answer I want to say the paperwork required when moving farms or changing storage facilities that's a pita, and it's not like the registry is anywhere near up to date anyway.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Western Australia gun laws