28 Day Waiting Period and eServices questions

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

28 Day Waiting Period and eServices questions

Post by sbd850 » 29 Mar 2021, 2:03 pm

Hey all,

I submitted my Online form on Feb 25th and the LRD received my hard copy and supporting documents on March 1st - I understand that this is when the 28 day cooling off period starts.

It is now March 29th, my eServices portal still says "in progress". Is the 28 day waiting period 28 straight days, or is it 28 business days? If it's business days, then that adds another 8 days to my wait time. Does anyone know?

Also, if I wasn't going to be approved, would I know by now? Do they generally reject people fairly quickly after they apply or do they wait until the 28 days are up and then tell you?
I have no reason to think I'd be rejected and did everything properly, I just want to be reasonably sure that I'm going to be approved before I buy a safe and sell things in order to fund a rifle.

Thanks!
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: 28 Day Waiting Period and eServices questions

Post by womble » 29 Mar 2021, 3:25 pm

They like to keep the mystery alive.
No they don’t regimentally follow the 28 days. Either to reject or accept. Just won’t be sooner than 28 days.
And they’re updating their systems currently so everything is running a bit slow.
Don’t stress, be patient.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by hawks667 » 29 Mar 2021, 4:03 pm

Mine was submitted online on 28-1-21, paper copies & ID info received by LRD 4-2-21 & was approved on 22-3-21.
hawks667
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Mar 2021, 4:18 pm

As womble posted, 28 days is a minimum time, not maximum. Depending on workload it could be 6 weeks or more but in general they are pretty good at issuing in a timely manner, except to me. cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 29 Mar 2021, 4:50 pm

I've been lucky that all my licences have been issued on the day with the minimum amount of time having passed but not everyone will be so lucky.
From what I can tell once you issue your forms through the eportal they stop updating you through that and will only email you with the updates once they are available, either way it's only an extra week and you will have your licence for the rest of your life. If it's too much longer you can call or email and see where your licence is in the process.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Shootermick » 29 Mar 2021, 6:07 pm

sbd850 wrote:Hey all,

I submitted my Online form on Feb 25th and the LRD received my hard copy and supporting documents on March 1st - I understand that this is when the 28 day cooling off period starts.

It is now March 29th, my eServices portal still says "in progress". Is the 28 day waiting period 28 straight days, or is it 28 business days? If it's business days, then that adds another 8 days to my wait time. Does anyone know?

Also, if I wasn't going to be approved, would I know by now? Do they generally reject people fairly quickly after they apply or do they wait until the 28 days are up and then tell you?
I have no reason to think I'd be rejected and did everything properly, I just want to be reasonably sure that I'm going to be approved before I buy a safe and sell things in order to fund a rifle.

Thanks!

Assuming you have no criminal record or serious convictions, I’d say it’s highly unlikely that you’ll have your application rejected.
It’s now just a wait, but it should be around about a month.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sbd850 » 29 Mar 2021, 10:01 pm

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Looks like I'll just be waiting a bit longer.
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sbd850 » 30 Mar 2021, 12:16 pm

hawks667 wrote:Mine was submitted online on 28-1-21, paper copies & ID info received by LRD 4-2-21 & was approved on 22-3-21.

Damn, so you waited roughly 46 days? How did you know when you were approved? Did the eportal update saying approved or did you get mail/email?

Cheers
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by hawks667 » 30 Mar 2021, 3:03 pm

sbd850 wrote:
hawks667 wrote:Mine was submitted online on 28-1-21, paper copies & ID info received by LRD 4-2-21 & was approved on 22-3-21.

Damn, so you waited roughly 46 days? How did you know when you were approved? Did the eportal update saying approved or did you get mail/email?

Cheers

Got an email from them..
hawks667
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Mar 2021, 5:05 pm

I submitted my first early last year, right before the first lockdowns, it took months, then I went in to the gunshop again and they had to resubmit it, so it was another month or two before it was approved. All in in it took 4-5 months.
Member-Deleted

Post by hawks667 » 07 Apr 2021, 4:47 am

Received my license in the mail yesterday, hang in there sbd850..
hawks667
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sbd850 » 07 Apr 2021, 8:33 am

hawks667 wrote:Received my license in the mail yesterday, hang in there sbd850..

When did you apply?/When did LRD receive your paperwork?
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by hawks667 » 07 Apr 2021, 2:49 pm

sbd850 wrote:
hawks667 wrote:Received my license in the mail yesterday, hang in there sbd850..

When did you apply?/When did LRD receive your paperwork?

Submitted online on 28-1, hard copies received by LRD 4-2, approved by LRD with confirmation email 22-3. Payment form received 25-3, paid that day with photo taken. Licence received 6-4

You are about a month later than mine, so hopefully you should be getting notification of their decision in the coming weeks. Send them an email politely asking for an update. That's what i did.
hawks667
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws