Miroku MK38 hard to open

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Miroku MK38 hard to open

Post by JohnBoy » 12 Jan 2021, 5:38 pm

Hi guys,

I have a problem with an MK38 that I have had for about 4 years and I would like to find out how to fix it.

Basically the opener sticks. What I mean by that is, sometimes it take all my strength to move the release lever to the right to open the gun.

I have looked for any burrs or anything but can't find it. Gave the catch down the bottom of the actual a good clean and rub with some emery paper, but no change.

It's been like that since I bought it, and the old timers at the range said it just needed to wear in. Well, I have probably put 5000 rounds through it since I bought it, and still no change.

Almost became a problem at the last comp as I could not get the action to open on Lane 5 and was about to call for help when it finally let go.

I have also noticed that the lever is not in the middle when shut! If anyone else has a Miroku and can check theirs, that would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
J
JohnBoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Miroku MK38 hard to open

Post by JohnV » 12 Jan 2021, 5:46 pm

I would say that the locking system is just very tightly fitted and needs relieving some place . If the lever is not moving all the way then it could indicate that the top locking system is not fully engaged which is not good . It's a gunsmith job , to pull it apart and find the sticking parts and relieve them to a smooth sliding fit .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnBoy » 12 Jan 2021, 5:52 pm

Thanks man. I would be really interested to see someone else's Miroku lever position when the gun is shut. Mine is definitely not in the middle, and has never been since new. So don't know if it's normal.
JohnBoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 12 Jan 2021, 7:00 pm

Almost every new gun will have the lever to right of centre when closed. It allows for wear over the life of the gun. The lever on my 1950's Browning is now well left of centre!
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by av1 » 12 Jan 2021, 7:43 pm

Refer page 19 of your owners manual. Lever position will be off centre to account for wear.

Have you lubricated all areas as per the manual? Perhaps you should contact the dealer that sold the firearm and they may have gunsmith to advise you.
av1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 12 Jan 2021, 8:16 pm

Ian McGeoch if you are anywhere near Albury.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 12 Jan 2021, 9:38 pm

As others have noted the lever will move as the action wears.
Does the problem occur even with an empty gun?
If it only occurs once fired then it could be the firing pin is not retracting properly.
Have a look at the shells before they eject. If there is a scrape from either of the primers then it is the firing pin dragging.
Does the same thing happen with different shells?
Are there scrapes on the brass heads that would indicate rough chambers?
Sorry that is all I can think of.

The gun should be slick as after 5000 rounds.
I have a fairly new Berretta as well as an older Miroku from the 1980's (not a Mk38). The Miroku lever is still right of centre as is the Berretta.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnBoy » 13 Jan 2021, 8:38 am

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice.

The lever sticks no matter what. With or without shells. With or without firing it. Shutting it softly. Shutting it firm. Lubed. No lube. It does not matter how. It happens every time I close the gun.

Might be off to the gunsmith I think. :(

Cheers
J
JohnBoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 14 Jan 2021, 1:16 pm

Could be a bit of gunk in there. Either way, best to get checked out by a GS. Don't know where your situated ,but a guy at Tenambit (near Morpeth NSW) is excellent with this sort of stuff.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 14 Jan 2021, 1:38 pm

My first step after putting up with this issue for 4 years - and I mean mine, I'm not advising you to do the same - would be to remove the stock and look at what's happening when you move the lever. I know it's not ok for Joe Public to do any work on a firearm but cleaning is a different matter and it could be something as simple as a piece of crud or a metal chip in the wrong place. In any case I'd have a look before I took it to a gunsmith (not the person behind the counter at the LGS) so at least I understand what they tell me regarding a fix.
If you are not comfortable removing the stock yourself then you should probably have the gun in for an annual clean/lube/service anyway and they should pick up the problem during that process.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnBoy » 15 Jan 2021, 10:17 am

Thanks lads.

Problem I am finding is there are no gunsmiths anywhere near me by the look of ot. (Riverina area of NSW)

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
J
JohnBoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Farmerpete » 15 Jan 2021, 10:38 am

I have 3 gun shops in my area one is run by a machinist the other two send guns out for repair

would be worth asking your lgs if they don't have a smith they'll know where to send it
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 27 Jan 2021, 7:52 am

Griffith gun shop used to have an in-house gunsmith , I think it's called Riverina hunting and fishing .
Don't know if they still do , or if it still exists .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by tb65 » 01 Apr 2021, 10:55 am

JohnBoy wrote:Thanks lads.

Problem I am finding is there are no gunsmiths anywhere near me by the look of ot. (Riverina area of NSW)

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
J

Just wondering if you ever got this fixed and if so, what the problem was.

I had a coaching session the other day and was given an MK38 that had exactly the same problem. Was a real struggle to open it. Switched to another but older one and it was fine. Coach recommended I buy an MK38. thanks
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 01 Apr 2021, 12:54 pm

Yes. I would also like to know how you got on.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by 28gunna » 05 Apr 2021, 11:51 pm

As much as it saddens me to say the quality of Miroku shotguns is slipping . I'm not sure if the production pressures are too great or less experienced persons doing the QC but it's getting worse . My last one a special edition one of 60 had a fault which had to go back and a friend bought one with a different fault also a return job so from 60 there is at least 2 faulty ones is not good especially at 5.5k each. Your gun will not wear in it will need to be pulled down to inspect the relationship between the locking block and the bottom of the top lever . Cheaper poorly built guns may wear in, but the metallurgy in the miroku's is spot on so it wont fix itself . I just removed my locking block after 22 years of competition and there's barely a mark on it . I replaced it ( top lever position) to hand on to my daughter so she can get another 25+ years out of it .
28gunna
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Saage » 07 Feb 2022, 7:37 pm

Hi JohnBoy
I purchased a MK70 20gauge recently with what sounds like a similar problem.
Would be keen to hear if you found a solution?
Is anyone aware of a good shotgun smith in south east QLD?
Saage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2022, 10:33 am

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Saage » 08 Feb 2022, 6:56 pm

Thanks Oldbloke
Saage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.