Is Australia heading for an AMMO/Reloading shortage?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Is Australia heading for an AMMO/Reloading shortage?

Post by wanneroo » 15 Mar 2021, 12:56 am

Blr243 wrote:Bloke I know was talking to a Bunnings rep the other day and there is serious talk about building materials shortage too , Not just imported chink stuff. Basic Aussie home grown stuff like pine framing ....don’t ask me what this has to do with ammo shortage

Lumber prices have gone way up. My dad sold wood off his property last year and I know there were supply disruptions due to Covid. I was surprised at the world market for wood these days. His hickory went to a factory that made baseball bats, the bass wood went to Italy to be turned into blinds, the ash got sent to a factory to get turned into shovel and tool handles that get sent to China and the maple went somewhere for furniture. As part of my diversification of investments I think I'll be buying more land for the purpose of wood harvesting.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by cz515 » 15 Mar 2021, 4:36 pm

I have to say i am loving it. Wether is on Facebook, forums etc, so many people are complaining that Australia has no powder and how USA has so much powder.

Then you get gunshops advertising they have stacks of it, American complaining how they cannot get any. And some people saying how they picked up xyz the day before.

Is this the new world. People protesting against violence by using slogans calling for violent action. People complaining about stuff they have access if they only bothered to search.

I am just happy if a Australian actually rocks up to do the job he quoted to do on the day he said he would come. It doesn't matter if he is late or on time. :lol:
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Mar 2021, 5:37 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Soo, I had the opportunity to chat with an old colleague today and asked the question regarding ADI powder shortage.
Likely reason is an incident about 1 year ago.

The line involved will likely be out of action for some time yet.

Edited as info was wrong.

That would explain it, must be a serious problem that's taking quite some time to sort out.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2021, 5:40 pm

cz515 wrote:I have to say i am loving it. Wether is on Facebook, forums etc, so many people are complaining that Australia has no powder and how USA has so much powder.

Then you get gunshops advertising they have stacks of it, American complaining how they cannot get any. And some people saying how they picked up xyz the day before.

Is this the new world. People protesting against violence by using slogans calling for violent action. People complaining about stuff they have access if they only bothered to search.

I am just happy if a Australian actually rocks up to do the job he quoted to do on the day he said he would come. It doesn't matter if he is late or on time. :lol:

You don't have access to powder unless a local shop has it as it can't be shipped anywhere. All you can do is order it and hope your dealer can get some.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 16 Mar 2021, 12:53 am

I'm sure like primers a lot of the powder is being diverted to factory ammo production right now, so I think that's what the problem is for us reloaders anywhere in the world.

Last I looked locally there was almost nothing, I picked up a dusty bottle of CFE BLK just to have it on hand. I might stop at some gun shops this week and see what is available now.

When online vendors get anything in, it goes within minutes. Every online vendor for reloading supplies is "out of stock", "out of stock", etc.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blr243 » 16 Mar 2021, 6:28 pm

I’m going back to flintlock and never have to worry about primers again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 16 Mar 2021, 7:51 pm

Blr243 wrote:I’m going back to flintlock and never have to worry about primers again

How’s that thermal Going to go on that flintlock mate? :lol: :lol: :lol:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Mar 2021, 8:32 pm

Sounds crazy but I bet there is somewhere in this Crazy world Where Somebody does actually have a thermal scope on his flintlock
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 17 Mar 2021, 10:44 am

Blr243 wrote:I’m going back to flintlock and never have to worry about primers again

I heard flints are going up in price 1000% :lol:

Funny thing is that ammo is so short here in the USA that percussion caps are now in short supply because people are buying up cap and ball revolvers.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Insert random name » 18 Mar 2021, 1:05 pm

I went to buy some powder in coastal country QLD the other day and there was no ADI2208 that I wanted and was told it could be a year for more. I grabbed something else that's compatible and a heap of primers.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bill » 18 Mar 2021, 4:06 pm

I got an sms from a gunshop telling me all ADI powders had just been restocked this week, was 7 or 8 powders listed. Seems there should be plenty of ADI powder available :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 18 Mar 2021, 5:59 pm

I emailed ADI to ask about the shortages in general and APS950 in particular and whether supplies were being shipped overseas and got the following response:

"Definitely not being shipped overseas, our single export customer does not buy any pistol or shotgun propellant from us, only rifle variants. Even then, we prioritise ADF and Australian reloaders over export customers.

I’ll have a larger news article going live pretty soon, but in answer to your question – we have no APS950 in stock at the factory and have not successfully made it during the past few months – we can’t get the burn rate right."
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by KaptainM » 19 Mar 2021, 4:06 pm

Hi Wanneroo,

The Newsagent here just north of Brisbane is ran by a fellow shooter. He has a huge variety of Shooting Magazines, some I never thought I would see her (Home defense etc). I first purchased Handloader magazine from him in 2016 and when he stopped getting them I order the back issues I missed and subscribed. I have the folders as well.

Just have to make sure the old man gives them back as they go missing when he comes around.
KaptainM
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 20 Mar 2021, 12:15 am

KaptainM wrote:Hi Wanneroo,

The Newsagent here just north of Brisbane is ran by a fellow shooter. He has a huge variety of Shooting Magazines, some I never thought I would see her (Home defense etc). I first purchased Handloader magazine from him in 2016 and when he stopped getting them I order the back issues I missed and subscribed. I have the folders as well.

Just have to make sure the old man gives them back as they go missing when he comes around.

Good to see some of that stuff make it down under. Handloader is a great magazine.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Faedy » 20 Mar 2021, 1:35 pm

Been a lot of powder at Southwest WA gun shops lately. Mainly 4kg tubs.
I've got enough 06, 08 amd 09 to last a couple of years.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 30 Mar 2021, 4:56 pm

wanneroo wrote:

I heard flints are going up in price 1000% :lol:

Funny thing is that ammo is so short here in the USA that percussion caps are now in short supply because people are buying up cap and ball revolvers.

Quote Johnny Cash "Shoots like lightnin but loads a mite slow" :)

A bloke could always imitate Josie Wales and carry half a dozen revolvers.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 31 Mar 2021, 12:02 am

Tiger650 wrote:
Quote Johnny Cash "Shoots like lightnin but loads a mite slow" :)

A bloke could always imitate Josie Wales and carry half a dozen revolvers.

Well, went to some gun stores the other day and one store the only reloading supply on the shelf was one box of 45 lead balls and a few other random things. Shelves were about 99% empty of ammo, powder, bullets, no primers of course. Another gun store actually had some ammo but it was priced very high.

I'm still expecting another 18-24 months before supplies are back on the shelf and at reasonable prices. With higher metal and chemical prices, I don't see pricing and supplies to return to 2016-2019 levels for a long, long time.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by ZaineB » 31 Mar 2021, 12:39 am

Faedy wrote:Been a lot of powder at Southwest WA gun shops lately. Mainly 4kg tubs.
I've got enough 06, 08 amd 09 to last a couple of years.

really? Lucky Duck
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by boingk » 02 Apr 2021, 5:07 pm

I've been travelling for work lately and most regional NSW is okay. Reloading hardware is scarce but primers and powder are generally okay.

Yes, I stocked up a bit.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by flashman » 03 Apr 2021, 6:24 am

Well found a supply of powder and primers 1hr drive from my place but going to drop a G , AND STOCK UP ............. :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Apr 2021, 7:44 am

Will fortunately be heading to the big smoke in a few months so I tend on taking advantage of the supply and prices at the big C.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Apr 2021, 11:06 am

If they have stock
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 03 Apr 2021, 4:13 pm

Any order for powder, primers or ammunition from the big C should be done online first but always select 'cancel the order' for out of stock items or they could be on backorder for years. I still have a backorder for some CCI 22 quiet semi-auto that I placed last October.

Their stock turnover is fast so checking by phone before you drive out isn't enough. It's such a pity they don't have an online inventory system on their website.
You do have to pay immediately but they will store it for you at no charge, only 7 days for powder but 16 weeks for everything else.

They had CCI 500 small pistol primers and ADI APS350 last Thursday but only they know how much stock they carry and how fast they move it, it might be gone now or could be available for the next 6 months.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by flashman » 04 Apr 2021, 7:21 am

Well good news .......yep i have a good supply of powders ,ASP350 , Bench Mk2 ,2207,2208 ,never brought primers in 1000 nd lots before got plenty of them too large ,small and 209 shot gun as well ,also picked wads ,got my new lead furnace ....Im good to go as they say... :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 04 Apr 2021, 7:34 am

Will definitely do the pre order online for pickup.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by MinuteofGoat » 04 Apr 2021, 11:37 pm

I work at a regional gun store in WA. We have been getting a fair amount of powder in, but lots of the unpopular stuff. 2205, 2207, 2218 etc. Apart from small pistol primers we have something of everything.
MinuteofGoat
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 11 Apr 2021, 2:24 am

I went to Cabela's, a big outdoor oriented box store here in the USA. They had zero ammo on the shelves. Nothing. No powder, primers and only a few boxes of bullets in what used to be a long aisle filled with thousands of boxes of bullets for reloading. A few expensive boxes of expensive Lapua brass left.

Pretty bad and I don't see things getting better anytime soon. There probably really isn't any point going to the gun stores anymore here for a few months.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 9:16 am

wanneroo wrote:I went to Cabela's, a big outdoor oriented box store here in the USA. They had zero ammo on the shelves. Nothing. No powder, primers and only a few boxes of bullets in what used to be a long aisle filled with thousands of boxes of bullets for reloading. A few expensive boxes of expensive Lapua brass left.

Pretty bad and I don't see things getting better anytime soon. There probably really isn't any point going to the gun stores anymore here for a few months.

i heard biden the other talking day about some gun control of some form . is this driving panic buying in the US even more :unknown:

how do you guys go for toilet paper..... :P
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 11 Apr 2021, 9:30 am

Biden was talking about clamping down on Ghost guns which are basically components without serials numbers that can then be made into a functional tools.

the gun industry bangs the sky is falling in drum every time a Democrat leader is chosen, same thing happened when Barack was in power.

This component shortage happens every time, this shelf stripping show the insecurities they feel but its more crying wolf :roll:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 9:59 am

Bill wrote:Biden was talking about clamping down on Ghost guns which are basically components without serials numbers that can then be made into a functional tools.

the gun industry bangs the sky is falling in drum every time a Democrat leader is chosen, same thing happened when Barack was in power.

This component shortage happens every time, this shelf stripping show the insecurities they feel but its more crying wolf :roll:

i agree with your assessment of "knee jerk" panic bill :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition