100m range for Centerfire zeroing

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

100m range for Centerfire zeroing

Post by duddley75 » 19 May 2020, 2:15 pm

Hi all,

Looking into ranges in Sydney that offer 100m so I can zero in a centerfire rifle (308).

My club minimum is 300m, and St Mary's only goes to 50M.

I believe SSAA Hornsby occasionally has 100m centerfire from time to time. Is that the only option in Sydney? I would prefer indoors so wind isn't effecting it if possible.

Rifle will be mainly used for target shoot (300m to 800m)

Or should I just zero for 50m.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 100m range for Centerfire zeroing

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2020, 2:27 pm

If intentions are mostly between 3-800. Zeroing at 50 sounds inappropriate.....I’m in bris , I’m surprised to see Sydney ranges don’t have much in the way of 100 m tartget frames. I would have thought it’s the most common distance used
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 19 May 2020, 2:30 pm

If you are using 155grn projectiles in your 308, zero it at 25m and it will be very close to a 300m zero, fullbore shooters have been using this method for years :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 19 May 2020, 2:31 pm

Silverdale 50m 100m 200m
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 19 May 2020, 2:50 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Silverdale 50m 100m 200m

thanks.

I looked at the SSAA website, but could not find any reference to the ranges available at Silverdale.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 19 May 2020, 2:50 pm

Strikey wrote:If you are using 155grn projectiles in your 308, zero it at 25m and it will be very close to a 300m zero, fullbore shooters have been using this method for years :thumbsup:

Excellent thanks for the tip
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 May 2020, 4:03 pm

G'day duddley75,
Use a 25m Zero Target, or make on yourself. Bore sight and shoot from a fixed rest with rear bag, measure 55mm up and mark a spot and that is your 300m zero, measure up 170mm from the 300 spot and that is your 800m zero, using 155g projies at 2900fps. A ballistic calculator can refine those numbers for different bullet weight/velocity loads. Or contact the bloke whose details are on this target, Cheers,
Attachments
Zero target.jpeg
Zero target.jpeg (814.2 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: 100m range for Centerfire zeroin

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2020, 5:43 pm

No 1 mk3. I am very interested in this funky little chart you just posted , I never seen them before. Is there a way I can punch in some details to a computer eg cal, speed , pill weight ballistic cooeficient etc , and it will print out one of these charts on a4 piece of paper ? So it’s all specific to my set up ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 May 2020, 5:55 pm

G'day Blr243,
I have been told that ballistic calculators can determine rises needed to make your own chart but I don't know if any program inclues the ability to print Zero Targets. i have old Zero Targets for Fullbore 308, as well as a couple of Ken Larkins A5 targets and a few old Parker Hale 303 25 yard Zero Targets which I use to hand make m own now. I think if you called Ken Larkin on the phone number on that target I posted he would be able to answer your question. Hopefully the number is still current, I've had these targets for a while, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Archie » 19 May 2020, 6:24 pm

Silverdale is outdoors but because of the design - it’s in an old quarry - it’s rarely troubled by much in the way of wind. I usually shoot at Malabar for practice - not only is it closer to me but prone or offhand is much more realistic for hunting practice which is what I shoot for. But for zeroing a new rifle I go to Silverdale, and zero off a concrete bench on a precise range where I can go and measure the group easier.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2020, 7:04 pm

Thank you number 1
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 May 2020, 7:30 pm

I apologise i havent read everthing before me so any repeats or contradictions arent intended... :) --ill read in time...

It souldnt matter what you zero the rifle at...regardless of it being 25, 50, or 300, you WILL, whether you like oor intend to, check the zero at other ranges...
Be that by mistake & head scratching, intentional testing, or shooting a world record group at 500 & coming last in a comp because you were an inch left & 3 inches low... :|

My experience tells me, if you zero at 100 or less, shots at & beyond 300 will not only confirm the elevation (velocity), but will also tell you how true to plumb (vertical) your scope is mounted/you shoulder the rifle, & therefor how out of wack your windage is...

Im no target shooter, but learned this the hard way trying to head shoot bunnys at 300 & beyond...well, even head shooting bunnys at 250 can tell you that you need one more click of windage on thae target that knocked out the bull at 100... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 May 2020, 11:01 pm

Well,,, No1 mk3 has confused me!
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 19 May 2020, 11:08 pm

This is pretty good for helping develop a ballistics chart but ultimately agree with Stix - your going to have to verify regardless.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sniper- ... 1026883819
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1_49er » 20 May 2020, 9:26 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day duddley75,
Use a 25m Zero Target, or make on yourself. Bore sight and shoot from a fixed rest with rear bag, measure 55mm up and mark a spot and that is your 300m zero, measure up 170mm from the 300 spot and that is your 800m zero, using 155g projies at 2900fps. A ballistic calculator can refine those numbers for different bullet weight/velocity loads. Or contact the bloke whose details are on this target, Cheers,

Looks like a great little (?) target, No1.
Can you give us a precise measurement (mm ?) from the bore/barrel spot to the 1000yd mark so that we can scale the pattern correctly, for whatever sized backing paper it is printed on.
49er
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 May 2020, 1:24 pm

G'day No1_49er,
On this target, for the ammo specified, the rise from bore to 1000yd is 270mm, When using Zero Targets the vertical line must be set with a plumb bob accurately to avoid windage errors and the distance from muzzle to target must be precise (within an inch). The advantage of 25yd Zero targets is the ability to set up anywhere, to easily see fall of shot without a scope, to pick vertical errors with the sight (remember these are/were used only by fullbore shooters using Central or Parker Hale type sights), or show canting errors by the shooter. Folks reading this should also understand Zero targets are intended to put you on the target at ranges selected, actual POI must be confirmed at that range giving regard to your own rifle/ammo characteristics, elevation above sea level of the range you're shooting on, humidity/temp variations etc. The best 303 shooter I've known was the late Richard McClean who used the Parker Hale Zero Target to set up and check his sights before comps. No matter where he shot, his 1st sighter at 600 was always in the black, often a 5, and then he would adjust for V. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 20 May 2020, 4:42 pm

Hornsby is not too bad. SSAA do have a window of opportunity a couple of times per month, I believe and on the main range 100m to 200m.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by George the Greek » 04 Apr 2021, 10:14 pm

Hello to all. Do you might know where can I find zero targets like this one? Preferably in pdf although if there is any online store to ship them internationally it would be ok because I live in Greece.
Thank you in advance
Attachments
ST1_XL.JPG
ST1_XL.JPG (13.46 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
George the Greek
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Monty » 06 Apr 2021, 3:24 pm

I'm afraid they're not specifically what you're after, George, but we do have a number of PDF targets available for download here.

Hopefully something in there is useful to you.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Apr 2021, 6:08 pm

George the Greek wrote:Hello to all. Do you might know where can I find zero targets like this one? Preferably in pdf although if there is any online store to ship them internationally it would be ok because I live in Greece.
Thank you in advance

That's too blurry to read details but it looks extremely simple to draw it yourself.
Do you have a higher-resolution image?
I would get a roll of newsprint (your local paper should sell part rolls) and draw it yourself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by George the Greek » 06 Apr 2021, 7:35 pm

It's that simple. In order to draw something like that i need to have the actual dimensions of the proprietary or else it would be uncalibrated.

bladeracer wrote:
George the Greek wrote:Hello to all. Do you might know where can I find zero targets like this one? Preferably in pdf although if there is any online store to ship them internationally it would be ok because I live in Greece.
Thank you in advance

That's too blurry to read details but it looks extremely simple to draw it yourself.
I would get a roll of newsprint (your local paper should sell part rolls) and draw it yourself.
George the Greek
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bladeracer » 06 Apr 2021, 7:48 pm

What is it calibrated for though?
If you want to make your own to suit a specific cartridge that would be very easy to do.

George the Greek wrote:It's that simple. In order to draw something like that i need to have the actual dimensions of the proprietary or else it would be uncalibrated.

bladeracer wrote:
Thank you in advance

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by George the Greek » 06 Apr 2021, 7:57 pm

In order to have a 25meter zeroing target i must know the specific elevation of the bullet relative to the center of my aiming. And o don't know that.
bladeracer wrote:What is it calibrated for though?
If you want to make your own to suit a specific cartridge that would be very easy to do.

George the Greek wrote:It's that simple. In order to draw something like that i need to have the actual dimensions of the proprietary or else it would be uncalibrated.

bladeracer wrote:
Thank you in advance

George the Greek
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bladeracer » 06 Apr 2021, 8:28 pm

You need the bullet's BC, weight and velocity, your zero range, and offset between line of sight and bore axis. From that you (or I) can plot the target dimensions.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges