Tikka T3x Super Varmint or Lite for Bush

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3x Super Varmint or Lite for Bush

Post by Jumanji » 06 Apr 2021, 3:23 pm

Hey Guys,

Have been offered a Tikka T3x Super Varmint for $1250 (Second hand of course) or I can get myself a Tikka T3x lite for $1450 new.

The purpose of the rifle is hunting deer but I have been advised to look out for the weight, I believe the Lite model weighs in at 2.7-2.9kg whilst the Super varmint is 3.4-3.6kg. Would love to get your feedback - obviously a significant saving on that super varmint but it is used and heavier.

Thanks shooters.
Jumanji
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Tikka T3x Super Varmint or Lite for Bush

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2021, 4:21 pm

I don’t know Jack about tikkas but I do know I would much rather buy new and light , the further u walk the more that extra weight matters....deer don’t exactly hang out in flat easy going country ......in December I had a few rifles in my hunting camp. One of them was a heavy barrelled howa I decided to get the howa out of my Ute and stick it in my quadbike to get ready for hunting that night. Just the ten metres between the two vehicles the rifle felt bloody heavy
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 06 Apr 2021, 4:58 pm

It's a no brainer. For what you want it for (deer hunting), the Super Varmit is a no go compared to the Lite.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 Apr 2021, 5:11 pm

Jumanji wrote:Hey Guys,

Have been offered a Tikka T3x Super Varmint for $1250 (Second hand of course) or I can get myself a Tikka T3x lite for $1450 new.

The purpose of the rifle is hunting deer but I have been advised to look out for the weight, I believe the Lite model weighs in at 2.7-2.9kg whilst the Super varmint is 3.4-3.6kg. Would love to get your feedback - obviously a significant saving on that super varmint but it is used and heavier.

Thanks shooters.

If you're going to be carrying it regularly in tough terrain go lightweight and compact. If you're mainly going to be shooting on farmland and only occasionally get into tough country, the varmint barrel might be better. I wouldn't tie myself to the lightweight just to save half a kilo if I wanted to be able to use the rifle for other purposes as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Apr 2021, 7:14 pm

I have two Super Varmints and they are the pick for accuracy and I use them to hunt in fairly open country. I am a broken down old man but I do OK. When I was younger I charged around and saw little, a heavier rifle might slow me down which is a good thing. If you hunt NZ or in very thick bush, you may appreciate a lighter and shorter barrel. I would get the Super Varmint if it were me and work on my fitness or dump a kilo of kit out of my hunting backpack. I usually sling my rifle when climbing steep hills and don't notice the weight.

What calibre is it?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bah! » 06 Apr 2021, 8:36 pm

How often are you ever going to shoot with a hot barrel?

Unless you're a pro roo shooter, can't see much point to a supervarmint
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Apr 2021, 3:13 pm

Go the lite
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 07 Apr 2021, 7:19 pm

Lite for me thou a stiff short barrel is handy, SV are what 24inch you could just lop 3 or 4 inch off .. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 07 Apr 2021, 7:40 pm

A new lite would be my pick mate. I have one in .223, a tack driver straight out of the box. I assume they would be the same in a larger cal.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 08 Apr 2021, 9:12 pm

I bought a Tikka Varmint for a grazier friend of mine (that did not have time or resources), and compared to my old walnut Tikka DeLux I noticed the weight of it. Great over a rest, but heaver than needed to carry in my view.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Apr 2021, 9:21 pm

You don't often fire more than three shots hunting.

Light is lovely.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 08 Apr 2021, 9:30 pm

I have hunted with Varmint rifles after a while they do become a bit of a pain in the backside. I would go for 2-3 hour scouting hunts with my sako 85 Varmint and thought nothing of it. I am however what some people call a tank 130kg 6-5 i have converted to super lite and lite rifles in exchange for carrying other items.

I now use the Varmint rifles for off the ute and hunt with the lite rifles. I still consider 3.5kg rifle as light though lol.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles