Electric Knife Sharpener

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Electric Knife Sharpener

Post by JimTom » 01 Apr 2021, 8:53 pm

G’day gents.

I have been having a bit of a look for an electric knife sharpener and was hoping someone on here had some experience.
They range anywhere from under $100 to $500. Not sure I’d want to drop $500 on one though.
I have a few filleting, hunting, and kitchen knives to sort out. I normally use a stone however it will take me a month of Sundays to get it al done.
Anyone on here have any recommendations?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Electric Knife Sharpener

Post by boingk » 01 Apr 2021, 9:19 pm

Cheap tungsten and ceramic sharpener does me. Small, fits in a pocket, bag or drawer and works a treat.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by JimTom » 03 Apr 2021, 7:43 am

boingk wrote:Cheap tungsten and ceramic sharpener does me. Small, fits in a pocket, bag or drawer and works a treat.

- boingk

Thanks for the reply mate. I have seen those before, look like a practical bit of kit.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 03 Apr 2021, 7:58 am

mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by boingk » 03 Apr 2021, 9:59 pm

JimTom wrote:
boingk wrote:Cheap tungsten and ceramic sharpener does me. Small, fits in a pocket, bag or drawer and works a treat.

Thanks for the reply mate. I have seen those before, look like a practical bit of kit.

Cheers!

I used one at Uni when I worked at a camping shop, ended up buying one. My $2 Woolies kitchen knife was so sought after in the dorm kitchen I had to label the handle to stop it from going walking. Years later and my father, ever the champion of a sharp kitchen knife, remarked on my kitchen knifes he was using to cut chicken. Again, cheap knives and a basic tungsten/ceramic sharpener. He was impressed. Needless to say I still use the same system.

I understand a quality knife would hold the edge longer. The main disadvantage is if they are sharpened at a particular angle, the sharpener will make its own-angled edge. If this doesn't bother you then thats fine. If it does, you may be best off with a dedicated hone or an adjustable angled one.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by JimTom » 04 Apr 2021, 6:26 am

mchughcb wrote:https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Professional-Chef-Knife-Sharpener-Kitchen-Sharpening-System-Fix-Angle-4-Stones/142251930585?hash=item211ee033d9:g:0o8AAOSwjVReomL8

Thanks for the link mate. Appreciate it. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Apr 2021, 6:27 am

boingk wrote:
JimTom wrote:

Cheers!

I used one at Uni when I worked at a camping shop, ended up buying one. My $2 Woolies kitchen knife was so sought after in the dorm kitchen I had to label the handle to stop it from going walking. Years later and my father, ever the champion of a sharp kitchen knife, remarked on my kitchen knifes he was using to cut chicken. Again, cheap knives and a basic tungsten/ceramic sharpener. He was impressed. Needless to say I still use the same system.

I understand a quality knife would hold the edge longer. The main disadvantage is if they are sharpened at a particular angle, the sharpener will make its own-angled edge. If this doesn't bother you then thats fine. If it does, you may be best off with a dedicated hone or an adjustable angled one.

- boingk

Thanks mate. I have been doing a bit of reading I. Relation to sharpening angles etc, for various knives ie fillet vs kitchen knife. Thinking something with variable angle adjustment may be the go.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Apr 2021, 8:16 am

Bunnings sell a very coarse aggressive 4 sided diamond stone for ten bucks .. I use them for large metal removal to save time before finishing with conventional stones ......I would definitely consider one of those fancy ceramic tungsten things if it could give me the low flat Traditional angles I prefer
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 04 Apr 2021, 1:31 pm

watch I can not rate it high enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztiIFNtmY3o
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 04 Apr 2021, 1:45 pm

JimTom wrote:
mchughcb wrote:https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Professional-Chef-Knife-Sharpener-Kitchen-Sharpening-System-Fix-Angle-4-Stones/142251930585?hash=item211ee033d9:g:0o8AAOSwjVReomL8

Thanks for the link mate. Appreciate it. :drinks:

I've taught many people who couldn't get a knife sharp to use this and they now can get any knife shaving sharp. The stones aren't the best but they are cheap. I bought the original american model and you can tell the difference not just on the built but the stones. However its about 5 times more expensive. I gave my ebay version to my boss who now sharpens all his family's knives. I've also done sissors on it as well.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 05 Apr 2021, 9:05 pm

I’ve used them all over my life, from the old combo stone, to Jap water stones, to the guided thingies discussed above, and yes you can always yield a razor result.... with varying time and effort. Nowadays I am lazy and just use the Worksharp Electric Knife & Tool Sharpener (Ken Onion Edition). Fast and consistent. 10 minutes max and you have your razor blade.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 07 Apr 2021, 7:47 pm

pomemax wrote:watch I can not rate it high enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztiIFNtmY3o

Thanks mate, I have seen these before. Seem
Practical enough and no doubt do the trick. Old mate was a bit awkward there at the start. :lol:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Apr 2021, 7:48 pm

Thanks for the input gents. Sincerely appreciated. Apologies for the tardy reply, work has been a bit on the busy side as of late.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 07 Apr 2021, 10:46 pm

An alternative to one of those ceramic pull through ones is the back of a ceramic knife. Use it like a steel, but works much better and faster.

Don't be afraid to use files on knives either. Picked this up from sharpening broadheads. I got sick of spending hours reshaping the bevel to what I want and started using the file, just finishing on a stone. Then a few swypes on back of ceramic knife gets much better edge than the stones I have
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 07 Apr 2021, 10:53 pm

It realy is depending on how much your willing to spend you can get a stone from bunnings for 20$ up to $1400 for a Tormek wet stone
https://www.justtools.com.au/brands/tormek-tools/
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 08 Apr 2021, 7:39 am

Hi Guys
I went to a catering supply warehouse and bought an electric knife sharpener. Back then it was expensive, around the $200 or $300 mark.
It isn't too technical, but does the job.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2021, 2:41 pm

Paper sharpening wheels bought online to suit an existing 8 inch bench grinder are a different unusual system that works very fast on certain things. Not a lot of people know about them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 10 Apr 2021, 4:34 pm

Blr243 wrote:Paper sharpening wheels bought online to suit an existing 8 inch bench grinder are a different unusual system that works very fast on certain things. Not a lot of people know about them

Do you use those with some sort of compound to do the work? Much stiffer and better for exact stuff than cloth buffing type wheel I would imagine
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 05 May 2021, 8:47 pm

JimTom wrote:G’day gents.

I have been having a bit of a look for an electric knife sharpener and was hoping someone on here had some experience.
They range anywhere from under $100 to $500. Not sure I’d want to drop $500 on one though.
I have a few filleting, hunting, and kitchen knives to sort out. I normally use a stone however it will take me a month of Sundays to get it al done.
Anyone on here have any recommendations?

Jim Tom
Nirey KE300 (from memory) is the one i have - brilliant. i have in the past used all manner of stones, sharpeners and the like but spending $500 on a quality unit like the Nirey has been worth it.

Get on their website and have a look at their models.

C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 06 May 2021, 7:19 am

Thanks mate, pretty sure I will end up with one of the Nirey sharpeners. They definitely look the goods.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 May 2021, 9:50 pm

I saw a few replies that included "links" which I didn't open.
So barring those,,,, I didn't see any references to Lansky kits.
A number of years ago my son was working in a abbatoirs (never could spell that bloody word) and at the time Lansky kits were all the go.
Some thieving bustard stole his.

So, I bought one for myself.
I wish I'd saved my money.
I could never get along with the mongrel thing, and I thought it was a pain in the R'se.

These days I do plain old oil stones free hand and get pretty good results.

Failing that, I use the old "butchers steel" which again is,,,,, free hand,, and can get amazing results.

If there is a butcher member here,,,,,,,,,, what training did/do you get on the use of the "steel" ????
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 May 2021, 5:36 am

No butcher here but I’m pretty sure It was a butcher Who once told me that I steel is used to straighten the edge rather than sharpen it , though if true it’s effectively sharper as a result of the straightening process ....I’m goin to google it right now
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 May 2021, 8:44 am

JimTom wrote:Thanks mate, pretty sure I will end up with one of the Nirey sharpeners. They definitely look the goods.

Check out the cost of new belts before putting your money down mate.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 May 2021, 9:25 pm

Thanks for the advice mate. Worthy of serious consideration for sure.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SHV » 17 Jul 2021, 12:33 am

I use 20 dollars ebay sharpening stone and an old leather belt with a little polishing compound which bought from Bunnings, in 2-3 minutes time turn a dull knife to a razor sharp one, cutting paper is the basic test, most knife blade can be push into paper ———folded and free standing on the desk
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 17 Jul 2021, 12:36 am

I’ll post some photos and videos if anyone interested
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment