Compressors

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Compressors

Post by Diamond Jim » 25 Jan 2021, 7:33 pm

Any suggestions on a reliable compressor for the 4WD - beach, camping etc. What are people using that isn't disposable rubbish at a reasonable price point?
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Compressors

Post by Shootermick » 25 Jan 2021, 7:58 pm

I haven’t used one myself, but by all reports the compressor that Milwaukee are making is pretty good. I’ve got lots of other battery Milwaukee tools and they’re all fantastic. Can’t see the compressor being any different.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 25 Jan 2021, 8:04 pm

ARB high output compressor . Not cheap but fast and reliable .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by 9.3x64 » 25 Jan 2021, 8:06 pm

I have had the ARB portable twin tank for about 5 years I guess. It has never missed a beat and gets regular use. Expensive though.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Jan 2021, 8:08 pm

I'm running a Mega Grunt compressor

It's pretty old now, still does the job.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jan 2021, 9:03 pm

I have. King s but it’s big and heavy. Well made long leads and hoses. Cheap. High Air volume , faster than a small carpenters compressor
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2021, 9:22 pm

A guy I raced with in the early nineties put a second air-con compressor on his patrol for reinflating his tyres.

When I was a kid my old man used a hose screwed into a glow plug or injector port and used the engine to inflate his truck tyres.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 25 Jan 2021, 10:10 pm

I have the latest tjm one. Runs lockers and a 7 litre tank as well. Not cheap but a quality unit designed to be wired in rather than portable.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 26 Jan 2021, 12:00 am

I've been flogging the gas out of the ARB 72 CFM compressor for about 11 years absolutely Flawless has never let me down and never had to fix it never had to replace it so best 300 bucks I ever spent cheap.
https://www.arb.com.au/air-compressors- ... mpressors/
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by scoot » 26 Jan 2021, 8:04 am

Should you need, ARB ones can be rebuilt too. Spare parts are available.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 26 Jan 2021, 3:30 pm

It looks like an ARB is on my shopping list. I like the fact it can be repaired/rebuilt and is, apparently, Australian made. Buy once, cry once!
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 26 Jan 2021, 9:30 pm

bladeracer wrote:A guy I raced with in the early nineties put a second air-con compressor on his patrol for reinflating his tyres.

When I was a kid my old man used a hose screwed into a glow plug or injector port and used the engine to inflate his truck tyres.

My Dad turned 100 last year - still going strong. He used to carry a hose that screwed into a spark plug port. Good for wheelbarrows to tractor tyres.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 26 Jan 2021, 9:34 pm

Ive got a kings double pumper, but I will be putting in a fixed one under the bonnet when I am done slaughtering my wallet
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 27 Jan 2021, 12:51 am

Shootermick wrote:I haven’t used one myself, but by all reports the compressor that Milwaukee are making is pretty good. I’ve got lots of other battery Milwaukee tools and they’re all fantastic. Can’t see the compressor being any different.

I hear Milwaukee gear is very good but I was looking at a unit powered by the vehicle/battery. I don't want to buy another battery system - already have Ryobi, Makita, AEG...the list goes on.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jan 2021, 8:05 am

Haven't got one.

But Milwaukee tools are highly regarded in the construction industry.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Apr 2021, 11:27 pm

I have no regard whatever for any of the ARB stuff.
Hi volume , cheaply produced, built for minimum years useage garbage that is retailed for exhorbitant profit margins.

Being an engineer in the metals industry I spent considerable years making and selling battery trays for most of the popular 4WD's.
I still have all the press dies.
I made them from 316 Stainless Steel,, = Life Long useage guaranteed.
Impervious to battery acid and its vapors.

Whereas the ARB ones made of Zinc annealed steel that was at best plastic coated,,,,, and loved by battery acid (eaten)

I managed quite easily to manufacture Stainless Steel trays that were far superior,,,,,, for half the cost of ARB ones and still make good profit.

:unknown: :unknown: Go figure,,,,,,,,,,,

I also bought a brand new Air Con pump and fitted it to my then current 4X4 incorporating an air cooling system,,, auto oil separator,,, and air tank,, with auto pressure control.
With that one unit I could pump all four 11 R / !5 tires from 10 psi up to 35 psi in less than eight minutes.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 03 Apr 2021, 3:36 am

I am a shareholder in ARB and like all their stuff. Haven't found anything yet I dislike.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Apr 2021, 3:59 am

I ended up buying one from BCF that looks very similar to the Kings and many others on the market today. I would have liked to go with ARB but budget and significant other must be respected. I've used it several times and it seems up to the job. The hose is a little suspect - naked rubber - but I'll review that after a reasonable period of use.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 03 Apr 2021, 9:47 am

Not a fan of ARB, water in an LED driving light and not interested in making it right.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 04 Apr 2021, 9:07 am

ARB compressors are not cheaply made they are high quality and last very well .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by DaveZ » 04 Apr 2021, 7:16 pm

I tried a few of the cheaper Chinese made compressors and eBay specials as I was on a tight budget. They all seemed to work OK when new but the one thing they all had in common was that they failed when most inconvenient. I found a second hand, single cylinder ARB compressor about 6 years ago for $100. It's not as fast as some of the others, but it works, every time I hook it up it just works.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Apr 2021, 5:20 pm

98% of the small portable compressors available have extremely poor and inadequate filters.
And most of the cigarette lighter plug in types will constantly thermo cut out in hot weather sometimes taking up to 1/2 hour per tire to
pump up to road pressures from around 8 psi
If your in desert areas or near a beach on a stinking hot day when needing to pump up your tires,, there is no guarantee of a nice shady
tree to park under for yourself or the compressor to help cool down.
Add an irate woman and a back seat full of kids and tempers soon flare up.

Much better to have an engine driven compressor that pumps quickly,,,, and with cool air,,,, and with proper air filter/s that prolong compressor life.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 09 Apr 2021, 8:46 am

You have obviously never used the twin ARB portable compressor . There is drawbacks to having too many fixed accessories on a 4x4 . If for some reason you have to sell the vehicle or it gets written off you loose everything or it's a big hassle to remove stuff . Once you are on your third or forth 4x4 you will learn .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Apr 2021, 6:56 pm

JohnV wrote: . Once you are on your third or forth 4x4 you will learn .

Let me review,,,,,, from earliest to current,,,,,,

One early Suzuki with Corolla transplant.
One Landcruiser FJ40 SWB Soft Top.
One Landcruiser FJ55 Wagon.
One Landcruiser HJ60 Wagon
One custom built (off road only) articulated 4 X 4
One Landcruiser 75 Series (petrol)
One Landcruiser 75 Series (diesel) which I still have.
One Landcruiser 79 Series (petrol)
One Nissan Patrol
One Landcruiser 79 Series (factory turbo diesel) which is my current daily drive.

All of the above have had custom built and, or, mass produced (factory) accessories/equipment added.

I guess I must be a slow learner,,,,,,, cos I still enjoy having and using the extras on a daily basis.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 12 Apr 2021, 7:59 pm

Any compressor that can inflate a 150 plus horsepower tractor tyre non stop with no water in it as my vote and I know the ARB can do it.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Apr 2021, 10:12 pm

deye243 wrote:Any compressor that can inflate a 150 plus horsepower tractor tyre non stop with no water in it as my vote and I know the ARB can do it.

Pushing the duty cycle that hard is definitely a good test for a compressor.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Dandry » 12 Apr 2021, 11:23 pm

+1 for ARB..I have the single cylinder 12v version mounted under the passenger seat in my heavily modified Prado 150 to drive airbags & tyre inflation. I had an incident at Nolan’s Brook in Cape York (mate opened my door while I was in 4 ft of water...) and almost a year later the compressor failed. Turns out a spring that forces the commutator onto the coil had rusted and eventually failed; I think the replacement part was <$40 and it’s as good as new.

I have a cheapy Chinese portable compressor that the on/off switch went on on its first outing-at Cameron Corner, which led to the ARB investment. I have to admit I don’t particularly like ARB as a company, and especially my local shop as they are pretty arrogant, but they do have some good gear....
Dandry
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 13 Apr 2021, 1:49 am

Dandry wrote:+1 for ARB..I have the single cylinder 12v version mounted under the passenger seat in my heavily modified Prado 150 to drive airbags & tyre inflation. I had an incident at Nolan’s Brook in Cape York (mate opened my door while I was in 4 ft of water...) and almost a year later the compressor failed. Turns out a spring that forces the commutator onto the coil had rusted and eventually failed; I think the replacement part was <$40 and it’s as good as new.

I have a cheapy Chinese portable compressor that the on/off switch went on on its first outing-at Cameron Corner, which led to the ARB investment. I have to admit I don’t particularly like ARB as a company, and especially my local shop as they are pretty arrogant, but they do have some good gear....

Is your local ARB in Bairnsdale by any chance man I really ever walk in there unless I have to
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Dandry » 13 Apr 2021, 7:32 am

deye243 wrote:
Dandry wrote:+1 for ARB..I have the single cylinder 12v version mounted under the passenger seat in my heavily modified Prado 150 to drive airbags & tyre inflation. I had an incident at Nolan’s Brook in Cape York (mate opened my door while I was in 4 ft of water...) and almost a year later the compressor failed. Turns out a spring that forces the commutator onto the coil had rusted and eventually failed; I think the replacement part was <$40 and it’s as good as new.

Is your local ARB in Bairnsdale by any chance man I really ever walk in there unless I have to

Hah, no - thornleigh NSW - sounds like it’s not the ony one...
Dandry
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Apr 2021, 8:59 am

....[/quote]
Is your local ARB in Bairnsdale by any chance man I really ever walk in there unless I have to[/quote]

Hah, no - thornleigh NSW - sounds like it’s not the ony one...[/quote]

Hence the main reason I haven't darkened the doorstep ever again of the particular franchise that was responsible for the following,,,,,
The one time I put a vehicle in to one of their stores,,,,, they not only stuffed the job up, but also damaged the vehicle.
I did not get any satisfaction (so far as rectifying the situation) and in the end contacted their State Head Office about it.

The head office sent me a letter directing the franchise manager to do the necessary repairs.
When I handed the franchise manager the letter, he read it and then dropped the letter at my feet and walked off.

When I contacted the head office about the "result" the general manager said they cannot force the franchise to do anything.
He added that, next time I was in Adelaide to contact him personally and he would organize for his own Adelaide store to fix the problem.
All credit to him,,,, the job was done as he promised.

But that doesn't excuse the franchise that was responsible for the fiasco in the first place.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel