Ripley range Brisbane

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Ripley range Brisbane

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jul 2020, 4:33 pm

When people refer to the Ripley range , is it an Ssaa range , or are there other rifle ranges there ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Ripley range Brisbane

Post by rc42 » 01 Jul 2020, 7:52 pm

SSAA Ipswich Stewartdale Range - 1494 Ripley Rd, Ripley, Queensland, Australia 4306

That's the only one I've seen referred to at Ripley, it also hosts other clubs like "Ipswich & District Rifle Club" and maybe some others not sure if there are any other ranges in the area though
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jul 2020, 8:02 pm

Thank you rc42
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CharlieHusky » 15 Aug 2020, 6:25 pm

rc42 wrote:SSAA Ipswich Stewartdale Range - 1494 Ripley Rd, Ripley, Queensland, Australia 4306

That's the only one I've seen referred to at Ripley, it also hosts other clubs like "Ipswich & District Rifle Club" and maybe some others not sure if there are any other ranges in the area though

Honestly one of the Best Ranges ive gone to so far. Can load magazines and staff aren't up themselves like Belmont was.
.223 Lithgow LA102 Signature Series in a MDT ESS Chassis
44Mag Marlin 1894
CharlieHusky
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2020, 6:41 pm

CharlieHusky wrote:
rc42 wrote:SSAA Ipswich Stewartdale Range - 1494 Ripley Rd, Ripley, Queensland, Australia 4306

Honestly one of the Best Ranges ive gone to so far. Can load magazines and staff aren't up themselves like Belmont was.

it's been my second home for a few years now ..... :D and yeah the staff are better . it was even more casual before state revamped the procedures and ,umm , "moved on" some of the staff that used to be there . some of who i miss :cry:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by snag » 15 Aug 2020, 6:47 pm

Yes, Ripley Range is SSAA Ipswich. I'm not a member, but I shoot there more than anywhere else because it is very friendly, very safe, great RO's and very professional. Great range - just have a few "cease fires" because of resident kangaroos wandering onto the range. When my SSAA membership comes up for renewal I'll be transferring there.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2020, 6:53 pm

snag wrote:Yes, Ripley Range is SSAA Ipswich. I'm not a member, but I shoot there more than anywhere else because it is very friendly, very safe, great RO's and very professional. Great range - just have a few "cease fires" because of resident kangaroos wandering onto the range. When my SSAA membership comes up for renewal I'll be transferring there.

you can fill out the paperwork and transfer to ripley anytime snag , you don't have do do it at membership renewal time
that's what i did :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 23 Mar 2021, 4:43 pm

Yeah newbie here, I climb out near that Ripley range, luckily got only one year membersip for SSAA Belmont. No issues with Belmont thus far but Ripley is a beautiful spot and seems like less crowded and more relaxed so for sure going to transfer over.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by snag » 23 Mar 2021, 6:10 pm

bigrich wrote:you can fill out the paperwork and transfer to ripley anytime snag , you don't have do do it at membership renewal time
that's what i did :thumbsup:

I did indeed do that last year, thanks Bigrich. I was out there a couple of weeks ago and saw a massive amount of earthworks going on and was told about the big development plans. Really, they didn't have to go to all that trouble just for me ....
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 23 Mar 2021, 8:27 pm

Yeah snag , there’s a lot going on at Ripley. Glad to hear you signed up out there . I’ve heard rumours that the NRA isn’t going to renew SSAA’s lease at Belmont, so there looking for a new home. Bin told the development north of the shotgun range is state’s doing.

The new work at the pistol range is for rifle competition as well so it doesn’t impact as much on the existing benches when comps are on
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by snag » 23 Mar 2021, 8:48 pm

All sounds good mate. Happy to be there.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 24 Mar 2021, 10:58 pm

bigrich wrote:Yeah snag , there’s a lot going on at Ripley. Glad to hear you signed up out there . I’ve heard rumours that the NRA isn’t going to renew SSAA’s lease at Belmont, so there looking for a new home. Bin told the development north of the shotgun range is state’s doing.

The new work at the pistol range is for rifle competition as well so it doesn’t impact as much on the existing benches when comps are on

Id like to think that Belmont would get canned and disappear into nothingness however i cant see that happening any time soon. They make too much money out of that place.

Last time I shot there, 2 targets can of coke and range fees was $83.50 (sarcasm)
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Mar 2021, 4:58 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:
bigrich wrote:Yeah snag , there’s a lot going on at Ripley. Glad to hear you signed up out there . I’ve heard rumours that the NRA isn’t going to renew SSAA’s lease at Belmont, so there looking for a new home. Bin told the development north of the shotgun range is state’s doing.

Id like to think that Belmont would get canned and disappear into nothingness however i cant see that happening any time soon. They make too much money out of that place.

Last time I shot there, 2 targets can of coke and range fees was $83.50 (sarcasm)

:wtf:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Robin » 19 Apr 2021, 3:52 pm

I heard a rumour that Ripley is no longer Magazine load and only single loads, is someone able to confirm this, I'm really hoping its not true.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Apr 2021, 4:01 pm

Robin wrote:I heard a rumour that Ripley is no longer Magazine load and only single loads, is someone able to confirm this, I'm really hoping its not true.

not that i saw on saturday or sunday
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Robin » 19 Apr 2021, 4:08 pm

bigrich wrote:
Robin wrote:I heard a rumour that Ripley is no longer Magazine load and only single loads, is someone able to confirm this, I'm really hoping its not true.

not that i saw on saturday or sunday

Great, thanks, wanted to make sure before I head down this Sat.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 19 Apr 2021, 7:14 pm

bigrich wrote: I’ve heard rumours that the NRA isn’t going to renew SSAA’s lease at Belmont, so there looking for a new home. Bin told the development north of the shotgun range is state’s doing.

The whole Belmont complex is having problems with noise complaints. The state government is gearing up to shut the whole place down and bulld houses.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigrich » 19 Apr 2021, 8:24 pm

yoshie wrote:
bigrich wrote: I’ve heard rumours that the NRA isn’t going to renew SSAA’s lease at Belmont, so there looking for a new home. Bin told the development north of the shotgun range is state’s doing.

The whole Belmont complex is having problems with noise complaints. The state government is gearing up to shut the whole place down and bulld houses.

the range has been there for a long time , rich wankers move in and buy houses around it, then kill the range with complaints

some of the best live music venues in brisbane suffered the same fate when they turned old office/commercial buildings into apartments around the venues :thumbsdown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Aussie Bhoy » 17 Nov 2021, 9:30 am

Newbie poster here, and also recently got my firearms licence, I was in the military years ago. Getting back into shooting as a hobby. Having to re-learn lots of stuff.

Anyway I was at Ripley this week for the first time as a licensed shooter so I thought I would post about the experience. Most of you will know all of this already, but it might be handy for someone thinking of going there. I live in central Brisbane, so it is further to drive than going to Belmont. The location and setting is nice, very rural. A lot of the drive is on the Centenary Highway, which is a good road. The last bit, maybe a mile, is on a dirt road. It didn't look too bad, I was with a mate and we were in his 4WD so no problem. My own car is a little Toyota and definitely a town car, but I think it could handle it.

We were at the SSAA range, firing rifles only. I see they also have shotgun and pistol ranges. There was also at least one other club with a range, I think it was the Ipswich Gun club. I had my Stirling 17 HMR and Ruger 223. I liked that you could use the magazines and it wasn't single shot. Also my 223 is the 16 inch barrel ranch version, which is presently banned for noise reasons at Belmont. I'll make a separate post in the Belmont thread about their extra rules which I don't really get. My mate has multiple rifles, and a lot of them are lever action, he is not a fan of the SSAA range at Belmont. You could also stand or kneel to fire, I've been told at Belmont that in the benchrest area you are to shoot seated at the bench only.

The target frames were different to Belmont. You need to staple the target to a board, and then hang that board on the range where you wanted it. At Belmont you pin a target to the frame on the range. Belmont's method is probably easier for the shooter. Belmont is larger, and also has numbered lanes. The RO's and staff in the office are all friendly and helpful. The booking system isn't as easy as Belmont. You have to send a booking request email, I think on a Wednesday for the week ahead (my mate booked it). For Belmont you can just get online and make a booking anytime. I work shifts and they can change at short notice, or you get offered overtime, so an online booking system is handy. My only experiences are Belmont and Ripley so I don't know what is usual elsewhere.

Overall it's a good range, and not being single shot I can see why it is favoured over Belmont SSAA for a lot of shooters in SEQ. Do take care if you go there, I did see 1 small and dead red bellied black snake between the 50 and 100 yard butts. I guess there would be a few bigger (and alive) ones around as well.
Aussie Bhoy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Nov 2021, 9:16 am

Warning, ssaa Ripley is alive with black snakes, and the kangaroos are carnivores. And the magpies will dive bomb you and take off your ears . Don’t go there.stay at Belmont .... :P
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 18 Nov 2021, 9:30 am

SSAA Belmont is the worst range I have ever seen. The location and facility is not bad but the attitude and vibe of the place is cringe. I would hand in my licence if that was my only option that's how bad it is. Head up to Gympie and check out Wattle Grove. Best range in this federation of states if you ask me. Pistol, rifle and shotgun all from the same bench and no caliber restrictions. Only bad thing is that it is only 400m. It is the only range in Queensland that you can shoot a 338lapua(can reach out over 2 miles) but the range is limited to 400m.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges