Range Etiquette

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Range Etiquette

Post by perkz47 » 29 Apr 2021, 7:14 pm

Good Evening Members

I'm thinking about getting my license and was thinking about going to an SSAA range to try out there introduction into firearms . I was just wondering what is some good range etiquette advice/tips . I know the principles of handling a firearm safely and don't want do something silly that was unintentional especially on the range

Cheers
perkz47
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Range Etiquette

Post by SCJ429 » 01 May 2021, 2:04 pm

If you have a muzzle brake, go sit away from others.

Don't blat away next to a guy using a chrono.

Don't shoot my target by mistake.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 01 May 2021, 2:19 pm

I don't get the chrono one. What do you mean?
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 May 2021, 2:41 pm

MontyShooter wrote:I don't get the chrono one. What do you mean?

Guessing he means that the shock wave from your muzzle brake (if any), might be picked up by his instrument, giving a false reading.
As for etiquette, read the range rules before approaching the firing line. They vary between different ranges. Some will require enclosed footwear, for instance. If you are going for your licence, the range that you attend for instruction would be the place to ask questions.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 May 2021, 3:37 pm

G'day perkz47,
Welcome aboard, SSAA operate introductions to shooting at Springvale using 22 rimfire rifles, you will need enclosed footwear, ear plugs are available at the range or bring a pair of your own earmuffs, ring SSAA and find out when try out is available, attend the range and tell the office you are new and want to learn. Do you have an area of shooting you are interested in? There are sub-clubs on the website covering a wide range from military, metal silhouette, field rifle (good for honing your hunting skills) big game etc who use either Springvale or Little River that you could contact to go along and see what they do, most clubs will offer to let you have a shot or two. The most important thing I could tell you o listen carefully to the Range Officers and follow their instructions, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 01 May 2021, 3:43 pm

MontyShooter wrote:I don't get the chrono one. What do you mean?

I use a Lab radar and if you are sitting next to me it either triggers the unit and I have to stop shooting and reset it or it registers your shot and calculates it into my SD.

Another no no is going dressed in full Camo. You may be asked to change or be sent home.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ThatNewGuy » 01 May 2021, 4:03 pm

perkz47 wrote:Good Evening Members

I'm thinking about getting my license and was thinking about going to an SSAA range to try out there introduction into firearms . I was just wondering what is some good range etiquette advice/tips . I know the principles of handling a firearm safely and don't want do something silly that was unintentional especially on the range

Cheers

A few quick advice snippets,

the big one would be: If you don't know, Ask. or if something feels off call the RO most of the RO's who I have spoken to have been very helpful with any of the questions that I asked.

The next one would be magazines, some clubs allow magazine loading others are strictly single shots in magazines or feeding directly into the chamber (that will depend on the rifle) so just ask the RO or any of the staff and they should steer you in the right direction.

Finally if you are thinking of shooting often at a given club just relax and mingle most of the gals and guys there are usually pretty down to earth.

-New Guy
P.S: Might want to invest in some electronic earmuffs so you can hear call-outs or instructions from the RO easier.
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 May 2021, 4:30 pm

The firearm safety course is a controlled safe environment a touch different to standard range visits. Polite common sense and respecting instructions is mostly what they are looking for. Hopefully there will be no loudmouth student Raving on about how much he knows They waste time and drag the day out longer than it needs to b
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 01 May 2021, 5:02 pm

There is only one range in Queensland where 338lapua is legal and the last time I was there this bloke was crying like a girl about the muzzle break on my Ruger precision rifle. The range officer basically told him that if it is legal to own in Queensland it can be shot at the range so stop complaining.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 01 May 2021, 7:22 pm

My 338 lap generates a few grumbles from the next bench sometimes. One bloke with a 22 in the muzzle brake section had a sook to the RO that it was ruining his day. Our range always ask what you're shooting and place you accordingly. I guess they got it wrong that day.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 May 2021, 10:37 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
Another no no is going dressed in full Camo. You may be asked to change or be sent home.

I couldn't imagine wearing cammo in public, especially Auscam, I'd feel like a massive w anchor. I'd feel like I'd be insulting our soldiers, it's the whole military imposer thing,
I can't even bring myself to wear my Grandfather's medals for an ANZAC dawn service.

I'm not surprised they're sent home to get changed.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 May 2021, 11:04 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:

I couldn't imagine wearing cammo in public, especially Auscam, I'd feel like a massive w anchor. I'd feel like I'd be insulting our soldiers, it's the whole military imposer thing,
I can't even bring myself to wear my Grandfather's medals for an ANZAC dawn service.

I wear camo every day :-)
I do have some Auscam, but I prefer the Woodland patterns generally - I was issued with Auscam in Army Cadets for bush work, greens for parade work. We used to wear our Cadet uniforms to school all day on Mondays to go to parade those afternoons, straight from school, complete with gold beret.

I don't see why I should have to buy other clothing just to make trips into town, or a range, I dress for my comfort, not other people's.

Genuine military contract clothing is the best, if it works for soldiers in Afghanistan then I'm sure it'll work just fine for me on the farm and in the bush.

I've been wearing Russian army boots for last couple years, and really liking them, so much that I'm ordering another pair to replace them.

But I really doubt anybody sees me and thinks I'm actually in the military.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 May 2021, 11:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:

I do have some Auscam, but I prefer the Woodland patterns generally - I was issued with Auscam in Army Cadets for bush work, greens for parade work. We used to wear our Cadet uniforms to school all day on Mondays to go to parade those afternoons, straight from school, complete with gold beret.

I don't see why I should have to buy other clothing just to make trips into town, or a range, I dress for my comfort, not other people's.

Genuine military contract clothing is the best, if it works for soldiers in Afghanistan then I'm sure it'll work just fine for me on the farm and in the bush.

I've been wearing Russian army boots for last couple years, and really liking them, so much that I'm ordering another pair to replace them.

It just doesn't feel right for me ... I've never served.
Strangely enough, I don't even bat an eyelid when I see other folk wearing it. :unknown:
Funny hey
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 May 2021, 1:07 am

on_one_wheel wrote:It just doesn't feel right for me ... I've never served.
Strangely enough, I don't even bat an eyelid when I see other folk wearing it. :unknown:
Funny hey

I've never served either, but even as a very young kid I was adamant I was joining the Army as soon as I was old enough, so I grew up thoroughly enmeshed in "military stuff". Three years of Army Cadets (to corporal) was enough to convince me that I did not want to join the Army after all, giving and taking ridiculous orders that have no real meaning is not for me - just seems like far too many wasted hours of precious life. Looking back later on though, I wished I had gone in as an apprentice mechanic or carpenter, that would've made it much easier and more rewarding I think.

I do however have enormous respect for those that are able to serve their country. I'm a supporter of the concept of National Service as I think it sets you on a good path for the rest of your life, something kids just don't get nowadays.

We each have our foibles :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 02 May 2021, 7:03 am

The local range here has camouflage clothing written into its standing orders. Pretty much you can wear one piece top or bottom but not the full ensemble.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 May 2021, 7:04 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:

In regards to wearing medals of relatives on ANZAC Day the Australian war memorial encourages it. However they must be worn on the right hand side. Only wear them on the left if they are your own.

https://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac-day/faq
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 May 2021, 8:25 am

CAVEMAN wrote:The local range here has camouflage clothing written into its standing orders. Pretty much you can wear one piece top or bottom but not the full ensemble.

your local range sounds quite fashionable caveman :lol:

just a bit of trivia on fashion , the reason the nazi's and SS looked particullary sharp in their uniforms is because they were designed by fashion designer
hugo boss . the heavy woolen uniforms of the commonwealth must've been designed by a very boring grandmother .

i suppose if ya gunna try to take over the world as a nation of supermen ya gotta look the part :lol:

on the subject of camo i've been meaning to get a ozcam shirt for a while , anything that helps break up the upper body outline has gotta be good for stalking
but the akubra on my head would probably give me away :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 May 2021, 8:57 am

I just wear navy or black at night but if I were hunting daytime I like the asat because I think the greater contrast between it’s lighter and darker colours helps break up the blob effect better , the light Colour could effectively be seen as air, and the dark colours appear as light foliage...so effectively game may see straight thru u. I became aware of this concept during my bow hunting years . I never thought of wearing camo to the range .. do cowboy action lever shooters sometimes dress up to character at the range ? I never been to a rifle comp in my life
Attachments
825D707D-A9EC-432C-A217-122FD327ADE1.png
825D707D-A9EC-432C-A217-122FD327ADE1.png (81.6 KiB) Viewed 7941 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 May 2021, 10:09 am

Blr243 wrote:I just wear navy or black at night but if I were hunting daytime I like the asat because I think the greater contrast between it’s lighter and darker colours helps break up the blob effect better , the light Colour could effectively be seen as air, and the dark colours appear as light foliage...so effectively game may see straight thru u. I became aware of this concept during my bow hunting years . I never thought of wearing camo to the range .. do cowboy action lever shooters sometimes dress up to character at the range ? I never been to a rifle comp in my life

careful dressing all in black BLR , ya might be mistaken for a ninja ! :D although it would be handy jumping up backwards onto tree branches :lol:
i have seen pics online of cowboy shooters getting in character :D me personally , i think it'd be a bit of fun . olde timey stuff interests me , simpler times :thumbsup:

i suppose it's similar to medieval fairs , with foods, weapon and combat displays, people in character and all . i think i'm gunna check this stuff out :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 May 2021, 10:20 am

back on topic of range etiquette , ask questions of the RO's and range staff . their there to help . at my local range the RO's are all volunteers , and full credit and appreciation to them for giving their time to keep the range open :thumbsup:

you'll be right perkz47 , just show respect , consideration and ask questions and they'll look after you :thumbsup:

on the subject of muzzle breaks , some have them cause they need them , some have them to be tacticool :roll:

shooting next to one is just part of the experience of shooting at the range . i let those guys shoot first then i fire my shot so the blast doesn't put me off :D
the muzzle blast is good for keeping the fly's away and i can change which side my hair is parted on by choosing which side of a muzzle brake shooter to sit on :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 May 2021, 12:03 pm

These days I struggle climbing up into a tree let alone jumping backwards up into one.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Robin » 03 May 2021, 11:18 am

Use your common sense, don't do anything stupid and be polite and don't piss off the RO's, have a chat to them or do what I did before I went for the first time, I gave them a call and asked all the questions I wanted to ask and I got all the information I wanted.

O I forgot , Don't shoot any animals or walk onto a live line, i'v never done it, but I have heard that it doesn't work out well for you.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pilotsignal » 13 Jul 2021, 3:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:

Hi Mate,
just read your post and I am totally agreed. What is the difference to the range if I am wearing a military camouflage? It is a shooting place for God sake not a wedding party. I guess, it would've been strange if I came to shoot in bathing suit :D or in taxido, but why not a comfy military outfit?
Is anything I am missing here? Some dark secrets, perhaps ? :crazy:
I am a new shooter in NSW and also, do not want to be a black sheep at the range as this Post originator.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2021, 3:52 pm

pilotsignal wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I wear camo every day :-)

Hi Mate,
just read your post and I am totally agreed. What is the difference to the range if I am wearing a military camouflage? It is a shooting place for God sake not a wedding party. I guess, it would've been strange if I came to shoot in bathing suit :D or in taxido, but why not a comfy military outfit?
Is anything I am missing here? Some dark secrets, perhaps ? :crazy:
I am a new shooter in NSW and also, do not want to be a black sheep at the range as this Post originator.

I've been wearing my WW2 US Army helmet all day today, even into town :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 13 Jul 2021, 5:30 pm

The club I belong to does not allow any type of cammo clothing. Other clubs who use the range appear to be a bit more tolerant. Me thinks it is just a petty hate from a certain portion of the clubs hierarchy. Just my opinion from a few years of observation. The thing is, whether we like it or not, it is most probably better to not rock the boat and just get on with the sport you enjoy. I don't care what a person wears along it is not an offensive t-shirt ( and that's subjective) and definitely no mankini's. :roll:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 13 Jul 2021, 6:13 pm

For easy entertainment just turn up at a SSAA range with a black powder muzzle loader and watch the RO turn inside out with panic lol
Last edited by Noisydad on 14 Jul 2021, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Jul 2021, 6:40 pm

Noisydad wrote:For easy entertainment just turn up at a SSAA range with a black powder muzzle loader and watch the RO turn inside with panic lol

:lol: do they ?
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Larry » 13 Jul 2021, 7:29 pm

I would think so. RO's normally have training in certain disciplines. There needs to be different safety procedures for the different guns and shooting disciplines.
A good RO would never let you point the barrel of a loaded 308 at you face while you stand over it. Muzzel loaders by there very nature have some routines that must be handled differently.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigpete » 13 Jul 2021, 10:59 pm

God I dont even wear camo when using a bow lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 13 Jul 2021, 11:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:

Hey blade, where do you get the Russian Army boots.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges