Western Australia Hunting advice.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Western Australia Hunting advice.

Post by Truesight » 30 Apr 2021, 6:36 pm

Hi!

I'm currently building a rifle for range fun and would like to do some hunting as well. I understand no crown land hunting in WA and it would mostly be farm/paid for hunting trips, but would like some WA hunters to share their experience with what distances and terrain is like hunting in WA. I've already got a .22 and a .303 and am looking at getting an LA102 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 4-20 scope on it. I like the combination, but am just wondering with WA terrain are shots typically at 100m or more so the 4 power minimum scope is not a huge deal, and what how appropriate a 6.5 Creedmoor round such as Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X would be for goats pigs and other game available.

Really any information at all would be appreciated so I can make the right decisions before getting out there. Cheers!
Truesight
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: Western Australia Hunting advice.

Post by Blr243 » 02 May 2021, 2:52 pm

Only wa hunting I did was donkeys in the Kimberly’s. It’s long range shooting from vehicles or waiting on waterholes , foot stalking if u are very fit. Wa is a big patch of dirt. Perhaps if you are more specific someone might offer info
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by niteowl » 02 May 2021, 4:16 pm

A couple of things you need to be aware of first up. If your firearm licences are for "target shooting" you cannot use them elsewhere in WA, farms or otherwise, unless you have your licence changed.

Next, terrain, in WA :shock: you can have everything imaginable depending on where you go, it is a BIG state as mentioned.

Re the donkeys, I shot them for the APB for a bit many years ago in the Kimberly and just from a vehicle. Drove up to them to about 100 yards or so. Drop each one cleanly and the rest of the mob will just stand there. You can go through the rest of the mob.

Pigs can be in open areas to dense scrub, ranges 10 yards to as far as you can see (not suggesting long range shooting)

Goats, much the same depending on where you go. Mostly pastoral country, stations, these are big remote areas but are not open to shooting without permission.

Calibre, how long is a piece of string?? I personally use many for various situations but for culling jobs 22-250, 270 W or 300 WM sometimes.

Scope, all of my day scopes are 3-9 or 4-12, for many years it was limited to a fixed 6 X. Virtually all of my / our shooting is done with thermal at a maximum of 4 X optical.

As for shooting, I have been a shooter for just on 60 years, virtually all in WA, but a week in the territory with a buffalo meat works. Yep, they are EASY to kill with a 270 W regardless of all the crap you read. One shot and instant kill.
These days basically Govt. culling of pigs, kangaroos and deer when found.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bah! » 02 May 2021, 4:25 pm

Last goat I plugged with a 36g .22LR. 143gr for goats is overkill. Mate kills dozens with a .223 with 55g.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 02 May 2021, 6:36 pm

I never had donkeys stand around much for shooting .....this was 30 plus years ago. Maybe things have changed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by niteowl » 02 May 2021, 7:18 pm

Blr243 wrote:I never had donkeys stand around much for shooting .....this was 30 plus years ago. Maybe things have changed

Back in 1971 (50 years ago) out the back of Dunham. Maybe they had been hammered in the mean time.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 02 May 2021, 8:54 pm

Time flys eh. We must be getting old when we start recalling stuff decades ago
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by niteowl » 02 May 2021, 11:11 pm

Blr243 wrote:Time flys eh. We must be getting old when we start recalling stuff decades ago

Don't remind me :thumbsdown:
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Truesight » 03 May 2021, 1:03 am

Really appreciate the shared experience!
I'm situated in Perth so likely will be looking to go within 2 hours of there, though wouldn't mind a weekend trip once a year or so. Any recommended companies or places to get in contact with to get started?
Sounds like a lot of stuff can be done just from a vehicle at distance, so since that would suit its dual purpose of being a range rifle, maybe I should focus on that and invest later on in a different caliber for up close if I find I need something for hunting in dense scrub.
Truesight
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by ZaineB » 03 May 2021, 11:21 am

Truesight wrote:Hi!

I'm currently building a rifle for range fun and would like to do some hunting as well. I understand no crown land hunting in WA and it would mostly be farm/paid for hunting trips, but would like some WA hunters to share their experience with what distances and terrain is like hunting in WA. I've already got a .22 and a .303 and am looking at getting an LA102 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 4-20 scope on it. I like the combination, but am just wondering with WA terrain are shots typically at 100m or more so the 4 power minimum scope is not a huge deal, and what how appropriate a 6.5 Creedmoor round such as Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X would be for goats pigs and other game available.

Really any information at all would be appreciated so I can make the right decisions before getting out there. Cheers!

WA literally has the same type of terrain as literally the rest of the country, with one exception, more desert. so really it depends where you are going to go hunting in WA as to what you will shoot, how far it will be, what loads work etc. there is no one size fits all in WA much like QLD and NT, but WA also has rolling green pastures and hill country like VIC and bush that goes forever like parts of NSW. there really isnt a single specific answer to your question.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by animalpest » 04 May 2021, 10:42 pm

I doubt you will be finding goats to shoot within 2 hours of Perth.

Rabbits, foxes and pigs are all within 2 hours of Perth.

Most shots at animals are less than 100m except by those who look for long range shots. For pigs most shots are well under that range.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 04 May 2021, 10:44 pm

animalpest wrote:I doubt you will be finding goats to shoot within 2 hours of Perth.

Most shots at animals are less than 100m except by those who look for long range shots. For pigs most shots are well under that range.

I know where there are heaps of feral goats within 2 hours of perth
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by G-Swiss » 04 May 2021, 11:00 pm

ZaineB wrote:
animalpest wrote:I doubt you will be finding goats to shoot within 2 hours of Perth.

I know where there are heaps of feral goats within 2 hours of perth

North, South or East?
G
G-Swiss
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by ZaineB » 04 May 2021, 11:33 pm

some east some south
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by animalpest » 10 May 2021, 8:22 pm

Sure there are goats there but as I said, I doubt you will find them within 2 hrs of Perth. They are not common nor widespread leading to the fact that a newbe is unlikely to find them.

There are deer within 2 hours of Perth too
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Faedy » 10 May 2021, 11:54 pm

^^ correct amimalpest, nor are farmers overly keen to let anyone come shooting on their property...
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 11 May 2021, 12:21 am

there are pigs within 2 hrs of perth,
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by animalpest » 11 May 2021, 10:15 pm

There are pigs within the Perth metro area.
And deer
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 12 May 2021, 9:08 pm

animalpest wrote:There are pigs within the Perth metro area.
And deer

Heaps of fallow deer down Baldivis, then there's the Rusa. But remember don't tell anybody I said so because its a big secret that the "pros" want to do "culls", bow hunters want to "poach".
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 12 May 2021, 9:23 pm

Actually the "pro's " don't care. We keep things quiet because of the idiot factor and to protect our clients.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 13 May 2021, 7:22 pm

animalpest wrote:Actually the "pro's " don't care. We keep things quiet because of the idiot factor and to protect our clients.

Then the "pros" do care on behalf of their "clients".
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 13 May 2021, 8:10 pm

Heck yes. I act on behalf of my client so their interests are always at the forefront (safety, animal welfare, confidentiality, community expectations etc)
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 16 May 2021, 11:26 pm

mchughcb wrote:
And deer

Heaps of fallow deer down Baldivis, then there's the Rusa. But remember don't tell anybody I said so because its a big secret that the "pros" want to do "culls", bow hunters want to "poach".

I wouldn't care if the average numpty knew where all these animals were except for one factor, they would trespass. from my experience with clubs and city lads dreaming about hunting, most of them cant get within cooey of a wild animal and even when they do cant hit something not made out of paper or plastic.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by JohnV » 17 May 2021, 6:57 pm

There used to be goats in the Moore River National Park so properties bordering the park might have some present .
Also in Monadnocks Reserve same deal . Other possibilities is all around the Karoun Hill district which is South East of Lake Moore and South Eastern side of Watheroo National Park and Easterly bush South of Coorow Greenhead rd .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 17 May 2021, 7:03 pm

ZaineB wrote:
mchughcb wrote:
And deer

I wouldn't care if the average numpty knew where all these animals were except for one factor, they would trespass. from my experience with clubs and city lads dreaming about hunting, most of them cant get within cooey of a wild animal and even when they do cant hit something not made out of paper or plastic.

That's rubbish mate and most city shooters have way better guns and gear and club shooters can be top shots even if they are a bit slower at it but Brendan Atkinson is a city shooter and a he will out shoot any country dude . I'm a city shooter now and I have not met a single country dude in 50 years that could out shoot me except a few pro roo shooters I met but at 500 meters they were screwed .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by animalpest » 17 May 2021, 8:56 pm

Most city and club shooters probably have better gear than me!!!
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 17 May 2021, 10:18 pm

JohnV wrote:
ZaineB wrote:
mchughcb wrote:
And deer

That's rubbish mate and most city shooters have way better guns and gear and club shooters can be top shots even if they are a bit slower at it but Brendan Atkinson is a city shooter and a he will out shoot any country dude . I'm a city shooter now and I have not met a single country dude in 50 years that could out shoot me except a few pro roo shooters I met but at 500 meters they were screwed .

sure mate, yet to ever ever ever ever be seen hundreds of lads would back my statement with 0 hesitation, red card shoots are a demonstration of this every year.

what animal is sitting waiting for you to mess with sights and faff around with wind and faff around with range finders and so on? and what kind of hunter puts themselves in hot water territory with rspca and the likes by taking abundantly stupid long range shots on game anyway? try and lic a firearm for taking game at long distance, it will not fly one bit.

couldnt care less who can outshoot who on paper mate. paper means absolutely nothing in the field.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by ZaineB » 17 May 2021, 10:22 pm

animalpest wrote:Most city and club shooters probably have better gear than me!!!

all the gear and no idea?
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Larry » 17 May 2021, 10:58 pm

ZaineB wrote:sure mate, yet to ever ever ever ever be seen hundreds of lads would back my statement with 0 hesitation, red card shoots are a demonstration of this every year.

what animal is sitting waiting for you to mess with sights and faff around with wind and faff around with range finders and so on? and what kind of hunter puts themselves in hot water territory with rspca and the likes by taking abundantly stupid long range shots on game anyway? try and lic a firearm for taking game at long distance, it will not fly one bit.

couldnt care less who can outshoot who on paper mate. paper means absolutely nothing in the field.
[/quote][/quote]

This sounds very familiar same as a bloke on here a while back that got kicked off. Care to own up
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by animalpest » 18 May 2021, 2:45 pm

Last week I walked past with my hard gun case, a fella asks me "what gun you got?".

Me - A Ruger Scout.

Him - I've got a sniper rifle.

Me - Hahahahaha
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey