WW3 ?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: WW3 ?

Post by bah! » 30 Apr 2021, 10:19 pm

Bugman wrote:
bah! wrote:The chinese did a better job of copying the newest round of fighter planes. In fact they're better than the americans presently and a lot cheaper.

Um. I find that comment interesting and would like to know the source or sources you used to obtain that info..

Even sources as mundane as forbes and times were saying that. Since the chinese managed to get a copy of the plans, and aren't hamstrung by requiring vtol, just get to build a decent plane.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 May 2021, 12:04 am

David Ochmanek, a RAND warfare analyst recons we'd have our asses handed to us.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 4442e4d896
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 02 May 2021, 12:54 pm

I don't think TPTB worldwide will allow WW3 to happen as the risk of losing everything suddenly far outweighs the fear of losing some things gradually.
More like pushing and shoving and yelling and cursing rather than a full on pub brawl.
That doesn't mean there won't be a few spilt beers at nearby tables.
It seems to me the US now is more like later career Mike Tyson who was no longer unbeatable but still to be feared although no longer held in the same kind of awe by opponents.
The analogy holds even further with the US now internally seeming to go nuts. Somewhat like Mike in his personal life.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by womble » 02 May 2021, 2:31 pm

Inclined to agree with you, but me must call their bluff on Taiwan. No different to Kennedy and the Cuban missile crisis.
And the chinese know to expect exactly that response from Biden.
So that means a massive military build up and some seriously tense stand offs, quite likely with incidents.

That leaves china 2 options. Survival and continued economic growth/prosperity or xi Jinping.
I’m confident allied psyops have sewn far greater dissent in mainland china than the Russians have in the US or any others that would oppose chinas will.
I think the party will regroup and jinping will be disappeared.

And perhaps even the great puppeteer himself will decide it’s time to walk away. Today’s generation of Russians don’t share his vision.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 03 May 2021, 9:50 am

China and Taiwan went at it all the through the 50's with all sorts of aerial combat and bombardment of several islands Taiwan has. It eventually died down in the 60's.

China obviously now is jacking up their naval capabilities and I think they want Taiwan. They got Hong Kong with no problem at all, dumb for the Brits to give that up.

Interestingly Taiwan has some islands right up on China's coast which China has never taken over.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2015/ ... na/409720/
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by No1_49er » 03 May 2021, 10:47 am

wanneroo wrote:They got Hong Kong with no problem at all, dumb for the Brits to give that up.

The poms had a 99 year lease on the territory of H.K.
The lease expired.
No option but to leave. China got it back.

Beware of the deals you make.
Such as the dumb ass deal with China on the Port of Darwin.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 May 2021, 1:20 pm

No1_49er wrote:Beware of the deals you make.
Such as the dumb ass deal with China on the Port of Darwin.

The 99 year port of Darwin lease is currently under review.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 May 2021, 1:40 pm

New Zealand just flicked the bird to China :lol:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-03/ ... /100111844
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Patriot » 03 May 2021, 2:06 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:David Ochmanek, a RAND warfare analyst recons we'd have our asses handed to us.

All western military experts love predicting mass casualties and Chinese victory and woeing about under preparedness. It is very good for the weapons business.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 May 2021, 3:46 pm

Patriot wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:David Ochmanek, a RAND warfare analyst recons we'd have our asses handed to us.

All western military experts love predicting mass casualties and Chinese victory and woeing about under preparedness. It is very good for the weapons business.

That makes sense :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2021, 6:22 pm

Patriot wrote:

I've been thinking. Might also explain the shortage of powder to reloaders.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 03 May 2021, 6:44 pm

I been thinking i dont really even like Taiwan that much.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 May 2021, 8:09 pm

womble wrote:I been thinking i dont really even like Taiwan that much.

They don't even run 240v mains power :thumbsdown:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ZaineB » 03 May 2021, 9:44 pm

first its taiwan, then its singapore then its parts of indonesia then its papua (or sooner perhaps) then its us and NZ, the stop gap is putting the kybosh on it at Taiwan and not letting it get any bigger.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bah! » 03 May 2021, 10:14 pm

ZaineB wrote:

first its taiwan, then its singapore then its parts of indonesia then its papua (or sooner perhaps) then its us and NZ, the stop gap is putting the kybosh on it at Taiwan and not letting it get any bigger.

First its deep breaths then it's a bex and a lie down dear.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 May 2021, 10:24 pm

bah! wrote:
ZaineB wrote:

Perhaps that's what those who thought another world war was impossible were thinking when Germany attacked Poland, invaded Norway and occupied Denmark. ?
After all, we'd already had "the war to end all world wars" right? ... It could never happen again. :roll:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 May 2021, 10:31 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bah! wrote:
ZaineB wrote:

Perhaps that's what those who thought another world war was impossible were thinking when Germany attacked Poland, invaded Norway and occupied Denmark. ?
After all, we'd already had "the war to end all world wars" right? ... It could never happen again. :roll:

:thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by wanneroo » 03 May 2021, 11:14 pm

Patriot wrote:All western military experts love predicting mass casualties and Chinese victory and woeing about under preparedness. It is very good for the weapons business.

Well it will sort out the woke millenial generation quickly that is for sure.

We are probably over due for another war and some hard times. Maybe we are already in it now, who knows.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 04 May 2021, 5:10 am

ZaineB wrote:

I’m still not seeing a price increase on thermal scopes
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 04 May 2021, 6:23 am

wanneroo wrote:China and Taiwan went at it all the through the 50's with all sorts of aerial combat and bombardment of several islands Taiwan has. It eventually died down in the 60's.

China obviously now is jacking up their naval capabilities and I think they want Taiwan. They got Hong Kong with no problem at all, dumb for the Brits to give that up.

Interestingly Taiwan has some islands right up on China's coast which China has never taken over.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2015/ ... na/409720/

Hong Kong was a pimple on China's Ass, your ignorance about HK is astounding wanneroo, have no issue with it re intergration.

Tawain's history is different and I look at its history as an independent nation and yes it is deserving of help.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 04 May 2021, 7:32 am

Most comments seem to possess only a slight grasp of history mixed with a generous contribution of propaganda regarding Taiwan.
How far do we go back?
Let's go back to the early 30's where the Chinese nationals were lead by Chiang Kai-shek. They had to deal with a Japanese invasion and troublesome communist groups who also claimed to have fought the Japanese. The nationals were supported to a modest extent by the US.
After the withdrawal and then the capitulation of the Japanese the conflict continued between the growing communists and the nationals who continued to be supported by the US (ha ha). The nationals gradually lost ground until the only remaining territory they could safely defend was Taiwan.
So in a nutshell, Taiwan contains the legitimate remnants of the earlier Chinese National Government and continues to be a 'stye in the eye' of the communist government of mainland China.
I suspect that in the end the US will defend Taiwan with as much 'blood and treasure' as they did the nationals in the mainland unless the US needs a 'casus belli.'
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 04 May 2021, 11:38 am

Bill wrote:Hong Kong was a pimple on China's Ass, your ignorance about HK is astounding wanneroo, have no issue with it re intergration.

Tawain's history is different and I look at its history as an independent nation and yes it is deserving of help.

I know all the history of Hong Kong and have also studied some of the other concessions run by other countries, including the USA.

If I was the UK, I would have just said No on handing back Hong Kong. Obviously the Chicoms didn't stick to the deal and never were, hence no point in handing it back.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bill » 04 May 2021, 2:13 pm

straightshooter wrote:Most comments seem to possess only a slight grasp of history mixed with a generous contribution of propaganda regarding Taiwan.
How far do we go back?
Let's go back to the early 30's where the Chinese nationals were lead by Chiang Kai-shek. They had to deal with a Japanese invasion and troublesome communist groups who also claimed to have fought the Japanese. The nationals were supported to a modest extent by the US.
After the withdrawal and then the capitulation of the Japanese the conflict continued between the growing communists and the nationals who continued to be supported by the US (ha ha). The nationals gradually lost ground until the only remaining territory they could safely defend was Taiwan.
So in a nutshell, Taiwan contains the legitimate remnants of the earlier Chinese National Government and continues to be a 'stye in the eye' of the communist government of mainland China.
I suspect that in the end the US will defend Taiwan with as much 'blood and treasure' as they did the nationals in the mainland unless the US needs a 'casus belli.'

Most of what you wrote is correct but you left out that Japan controlled Taiwan from 1895 to 1947. Under the Japanese the Taiwanese enjoyed substantial improvements to their health, education and farming practices over this period and the structures left in place by the Japanase after WW2 allowed the economy to later modernize well before the PRC. The 4 factions on the Island only unifed well after the USA led UN security council ditched the ROC and gave the People Republic of China their seat.

I was planning on doing a Taipei, Seoul, Tokyo trip last year but that got canned with Covid. In my way of thinking the people of modern Taiwan are a mix of Indigenous/Han/Chinese refugees(ROC) and Japanese. They have forged their own democratic destiny and deserve sovereignty.

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2021, 8:22 pm

This is interesting reading. Big buck getting spent fast.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... facb3717da
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 May 2021, 8:58 pm

Oldbloke wrote:This is interesting reading. Big buck getting spent fast.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... facb3717da

One wrong move and s#!ts going to get real, rest assured, China won't be waiting for the world to be ready. There's crazy dictators at the helm.
20210504_202731.jpg
20210504_202731.jpg (63.69 KiB) Viewed 7351 times

What a greedy plant we live on.

Let's not forget that yet again, this bs is all over oil.
Whats 190 trillion cubic feet of natural gas and 11 billion barrels of oil between friends :unknown:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 05 May 2021, 3:49 am

Bring it on.
I’m so over their bulls**t threats and intimidation.
Let’s go smash these c*nts.
We get all our mates, every other country they’ve been s**t talking. Even that NZ d**khead. And we rock up there and beat the s**t out of them.
So frustrating, just do it already. Why are we waiting for this to come to us. We go in. WEEE GO INNNN
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 05 May 2021, 8:57 am

LOL womble you lead the Troops, off you go hand in hand with Scomo & Dutton.

Will you push the troops up the Yangtze delta or land them on the beaches at Xiamen ...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2021, 10:32 am

Bill wrote:LOL womble you lead the Troops, off you go hand in hand with Scomo & Dutton.

Will you push the troops up the Yangtze delta or land them on the beaches at Xiamen ...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol. You said it better than I could.

Everyone wants to be a hero. Until the lead is headed in their direction.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 05 May 2021, 10:45 am

I think most folks in my country would be surprised that US troops fought their way to Beijing many years ago, along with many other countries, during the Boxer Rebellion.

Wouldn't be the first time we've been on the ground in China.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2021, 10:53 am

I for one would not like to be the person making the decision to send our boys to any war. Huge level of responsibility.
And if it was with China it would be war for Australia's survival. Because if we lose the CCP will be in Canberra.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics