S&W Model 41 or Volquartsen Scorpion

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

S&W Model 41 or Volquartsen Scorpion

Post by Woden » 08 May 2021, 8:21 pm

Currently training for pistol licence. Use the club S&W Victory and like it. Happy to buy one but they are around the $800+ mark new. Researching my first pistol purchase which will be a .22. Happy to buy 2nd hand to get extra goodies but wary of the dangers.
Let's say I'm in a position to sell some stuff to create the funds to purchase a top end firearm. What would be the impressions or advice from people who own or have used either of the following:

Smith & Wesson Model 41 - 5.5" barrel

or

Volquartsen Scorpion (or Black Mamba) in either 4.5 or 6" barrel

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
DaZ

Ruger PR - 22LR
Henry H001 - 22LR
Zastava CZ99 - 22LR
Sulun Arms Tac-12 - 12ga
Woden
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: S&W Model 41 or Volquartsen Scorpion

Post by rc42 » 08 May 2021, 9:34 pm

Both great pistols and would serve you well for many years but you'd probably be better starting with something like a second hand Ruger Mark series, Buckmark or S&W Victory that you can use and abuse until you know which competitions you want to focus on.

In terms of just those specific pistols, the Volquartsens have muzzle compensators which improve fast shooting but aren't allowed for ISSF and some other matches beyond local club level, they are removable but without it the shorter 6" barrel model is left with only a 4.5" barrel which technically isn't legal for a semi-auto pistol in Australia.
The Scorpion is a pain to take down due to the Ruger Mk III base but the Mk IV based Mamba is a pleasure to use and really accurate (I have one).

Haven't used the Model 41 but I've seen them at the range and only ever heard good things about them, they are primarily designed for iron sight target use so getting a red dot will be more difficult that the Volquartsens which have built in rails.
rc42
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 09 May 2021, 10:20 am

have used the 41 extensively and found it very accurate but not so reliable. They appear to be inhibited by any small build up of residue and the one I had sometimes failed to eject properly at the most inconvenient of times.. Most shooters I know who also had 41's ended up selling them and investing in a Pardini SP.
And yes, I sold my 41.
Bugman
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 09 May 2021, 12:32 pm

rc42 wrote:Both great pistols and would serve you well for many years but you'd probably be better starting with something like a second hand Ruger Mark series, Buckmark or S&W Victory that you can use and abuse until you know which competitions you want to focus on.

In terms of just those specific pistols, the Volquartsens have muzzle compensators which improve fast shooting but aren't allowed for ISSF and some other matches beyond local club level, they are removable but without it the shorter 6" barrel model is left with only a 4.5" barrel which technically isn't legal for a semi-auto pistol in Australia.
The Scorpion is a pain to take down due to the Ruger Mk III base but the Mk IV based Mamba is a pleasure to use and really accurate (I have one).

Haven't used the Model 41 but I've seen them at the range and only ever heard good things about them, they are primarily designed for iron sight target use so getting a red dot will be more difficult that the Volquartsens which have built in rails.

Great advice. Thank you. I just shot a 474 in my 2nd NRA match at my local club with the club SW Victory so can't complain. Bashing one of these for the short term is a good idea.
DaZ

Ruger PR - 22LR
Henry H001 - 22LR
Zastava CZ99 - 22LR
Sulun Arms Tac-12 - 12ga
Woden
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 09 May 2021, 12:33 pm

Bugman wrote:have used the 41 extensively and found it very accurate but not so reliable. They appear to be inhibited by any small build up of residue and the one I had sometimes failed to eject properly at the most inconvenient of times.. Most shooters I know who also had 41's ended up selling them and investing in a Pardini SP.
And yes, I sold my 41.

Very interesting. I hadn't heard this feedback about the Model 41 until now.
DaZ

Ruger PR - 22LR
Henry H001 - 22LR
Zastava CZ99 - 22LR
Sulun Arms Tac-12 - 12ga
Woden
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Macross » 09 May 2021, 9:48 pm

Black Mumba any day!! As already mentioned, the Scorpion is the older Mk 3 lower which is much more difficult to take down for cleaning. Mumba is a Mk 4 lower. Look for second hand Ruger mark 4. Its like lego in that you can buy and replace and tinker with just about any part of the gun, which is great when you are starting out.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers