Making a family tree

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Making a family tree

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 04 May 2021, 12:49 pm

Any of you blokes made a family tree?

I'm keen to start putting mine together so I'm wondering what people have found best to use, as in draw it out on paper, a computer program or on a website like Ancestry?

I like the website for making life easier for other people, but it comes with a high cost to subscribe so that is making me not want to go that way
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Making a family tree

Post by ZaineB » 04 May 2021, 2:25 pm

one of my rellies did it, they ran into steep roadblocks when trying to sort out the south african side of things because of the massive amounts of deaths due to conflict with the natives and later with other immigrants to south africa (african negros but not those indigenous to south africa) who are in todays world, murderous and militant racists bent on genocide against caucasian and brown europeans.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by pomemax » 04 May 2021, 3:39 pm

ok In the past I used Genpro I just went and looked Its now you pay $65 but well worth it they have a 14 day trial just to look around .
with it you can add photos of anyone you have them of and do a bit of history on them too.
I had it all save on Hard drive then the computer crashed I should have saved it to Flash drives as i was typing that I looked on my desk I took the drive out of any computer that crashes and have a drive cage for them derrrrrrrrrrrrrr
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bah! » 04 May 2021, 3:42 pm

ZaineB wrote:one of my rellies did it, they ran into steep roadblocks when trying to sort out the south african side of things because of the massive amounts of deaths due to conflict with the natives and later with other immigrants to south africa (african negros but not those indigenous to south africa) who are in todays world, murderous and militant racists bent on genocide against caucasian and brown europeans.

So, was that a software problem then?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bah! » 04 May 2021, 3:46 pm

A bit less focussed but there are plenty of free to cheapie flowchart progs, maybe one of those will fit the bill?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2021, 4:02 pm

So did mine about 20 years ago. From memory...

Look for free software to save these files designed for family trees. Paf files.

https://www.reviversoft.com/file-extensions/paf

Libraries are a great source of this type of info these days. Visit the nearest large library and ask there.

If you have a very common name like "smith" its much harder.

There used to be free sites for this info. Google is your friend.

Also for military info check out the war memorial site Canberra. Cant remember the address.

Check births and deaths in your state.

Talk to grand parents before they pass on.

Take lots of notes, don't trust your memory. Keep the old photos.

Visit cemeteries too.

Its a rabbit hole. Lol
Last edited by Oldbloke on 04 May 2021, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 04 May 2021, 5:50 pm

Thanks guys I'll check out the programs you've recommended.

And thanks for the tips on information collection.

I wish I had of started taking notes when I was 16

It's well and truely a rabbithole Oldbloke!
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ob1 » 05 May 2021, 1:21 am

Just an observation about how people may react -

Early rule for students on teaching practice: do not ask students to make a family tree.
It is weird how some people react about things that happened long ago, or things and relatives that they do not want discovered. Be prepared. :-)

The number of angry complaints from parents is not worth the effort for a school project. Too many secrets hidden away in too many trees that parents do not want to discuss.

Aussies like a bit of criminal history. Others, not so much. I have a transported female convict for barn burning (a way to escape starvation and avoid prostitution) and a male convict for some petty crime in my tree and we went to see how they fared in Tasmania. Hard place. My wife's people were mixed up with Ned Kelly somehow and had to take off by foot across the Nullabor to WA.

We found it interesting, some Kiwis we told about it thought it was a stain, some yanks did not know what to make of us. Their problem, not ours. The free and the imprisoned were all stuck in a tough place together back in the day and the family went from prison to millions over the generations with more tough times and wars along the way, so interesting stuff.

Some people will not like sharing. Screw them - find out where you came from.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 05 May 2021, 2:19 am

bah! wrote:
ZaineB wrote:one of my rellies did it, they ran into steep roadblocks when trying to sort out the south african side of things because of the massive amounts of deaths due to conflict with the natives and later with other immigrants to south africa (african negros but not those indigenous to south africa) who are in todays world, murderous and militant racists bent on genocide against Caucasian and brown Europeans.

So, was that a software problem then?

Vicariously yes, Ancestry.com and the likes were unable to complete the family tree and address missing links due to the scattering/holes in records due to conflict, and an ongoing genocide. See when people are being hunted by those who are clandestinely enforcing land expropriation, they have a tendency of fleeing or completely deleting their identity and taking on new ones. I had family members flee during war with the Zulu's that affects family from generations ago onward, and more recently with family fleeing expropriation and state endorsed genocide and ethnic cleansing now.

I assume your comment was in aid of being a smart ass, good to know you like making jokes about people being tortured, torn from their homes and killed brutally, but none the less I outlined an issue that can very much exist with some family tree/genealogy websites.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bah! » 05 May 2021, 8:38 am

ZaineB wrote:I assume your comment was in aid of being a smart ass, good to know you like making jokes about people being tortured, torn from their homes and killed brutally, but none the less I outlined an issue that can very much exist with some family tree/genealogy websites.

Hardly, the software exists to map births and deaths and it doesn't give a rat's how or where they happen. More that you don't have to air your prejudices at the drop of a hat, every time and at any opportunity.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bah! » 05 May 2021, 8:39 am

ob1 wrote:Early rule for students on teaching practice: do not ask students to make a family tree.
It is weird how some people react about things that happened long ago, or things and relatives that they do not want discovered. Be prepared. :-)

Yes, perhaps not just skeletons in the closet :D
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2021, 10:38 am

I can proudly say I am the descendent from a convict who mugged someone in a London park. Claimed in court he was innocent. (I believe him :roll: ) He was only in Tassie a couple of months and he was made a copper. :drinks:

Managed 12 children with a woman 21 years his junior. Horny barstard. :allegedly: :clap:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 07 May 2021, 1:24 pm

Good on ya mr cooter for going to the effort with a family tree. The longer people leave it the more difficult it becomes to trace. / find information
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 May 2021, 3:29 pm

"Making a family tree". Mmmm does that have another meaning.?

:twisted: :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 May 2021, 5:09 pm

I tried it a few years ago, dead end (no pun intended). Seems my family have more skeletons in the closet than the Natural History Museum.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cleger » 09 May 2021, 12:49 pm

ob1 wrote:some yanks did not know what to make of us....

Next time, ask them where they think the British transported their convicts before 1787.
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Return to Off topic - General conversation