Shot neighbours pet dogs.

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Shot neighbours pet dogs.

Post by Oldbloke » 10 May 2021, 8:06 pm

Mmm, not sure what to think of this. Convicted of shooting dogs on his property in S.A.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-10/ ... /100129460
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Shot neighbours pet dogs.

Post by rc42 » 10 May 2021, 8:24 pm

Sounds like they were living next to a real grumpy old bas****.

If the dogs weren't worrying people or livestock then he had no right to shoot them, which he knew if the report is true that he lied by concealing that he'd shot them.
Now if it were a cat on your rural property... BANG
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 May 2021, 12:12 am

You would need to know SA law regarding dogs at large and livestock, plus the actual zoning of the area. An initial denial does seem suss, but may just have been to avoid unpleasantness? I assume the man had a lawyer so the fact of conviction proves he had no lawful reason to shoot when he did.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 11 May 2021, 8:58 am

A couple of things to bear in mind.
The RSPCA is a vigorous prosecutor due to that organisation getting something like half the fine imposed by a court.
The offender, like so many other Australians, may have acted under the delusion that he had "rights".
We have no "rights", only privileges, which may be granted or withdrawn at any time at the pleasure of the respective government.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 May 2021, 9:45 am

Yes, we are a privileged here on Her Majesty's island.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 May 2021, 11:36 am

straightshooter wrote:A couple of things to bear in mind.
The RSPCA is a vigorous prosecutor due to that organisation getting something like half the fine imposed by a court.
The offender, like so many other Australians, may have acted under the delusion that he had "rights".
We have no "rights", only privileges, which may be granted or withdrawn at any time at the pleasure of the respective government.

Same applies to everyone I think. Including dog owners.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 11 May 2021, 6:38 pm

Simples. Keep your dogs on your own property. Same as cats. I'm not 100 % sure but I think its actually law in SA that dogs can be shot on sight if they're on your farm and aren't meant to be there. And you never know,old mate may well have warned his neighbours several times prior.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 11 May 2021, 7:17 pm

About 25 years ago when I was first home on the farm we had an old house that we used to let out, generally for nothing other than that the tenants covered their own power, phone etc. So it normally went to someone we knew, or a friend of a friend type thing.
One bloke we had there had some pretty nasty dogs, they’d even bailed me up when I’d been working there.
One day we were working sheep on another block about 1 km away and could see these dogs a couple of paddocks away into our ewes and lambs. Dad got his gun and went and shot the lot of them and laid them back at the owners (our tenant) house. He told the tenant what happened, and he understood completely. This bloke was in the friend of friends category, we ended up becoming good mates with him over the years.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 11 May 2021, 7:29 pm

Not sure what the laws are SA, but in VIC you can shoot any dog that steps foot through your fence on a farm if you have livestock, doesn't matter what the dog was doing there even if it's someone's pet poodle walking not bothering the livestock. The dog owner will also be fined for having a dog at large.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 May 2021, 7:36 pm

The ABC news report says:

"You are certainly not within your rights to shoot stray dogs that are not threatening people or animals."

But I guess each state is different.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 11 May 2021, 7:50 pm

I’ve got no idea of the laws here in Vic regarding dogs on your property chasing and killing sheep. But I know what happens. Others neighbours of mine have also shot dogs, in my experience the people who own the dogs probably shouldn’t have them in the first place. Your stock, your livelihood, your property. Doesn’t necessarily make it legal of course, but it does happen.
I’ve currently got a good mates Jack Russel that’s always over at my place, stirs my dogs up when they’re on the chain, it gives me the s**ts but it doesn’t chase sheep so I normally just give him a ring or leave it be, it doesn’t cause any real harm and always goes back to his place.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 11 May 2021, 7:51 pm

Oldbloke wrote:The ABC news report says:

"You are certainly not within your rights to shoot stray dogs that are not threatening people or animals."

But I guess each state is different.
I guess they are.

Here is the VIC law

DOMESTIC ANIMALS ACT 1994 - SECT 30
Owner of livestock able to destroy dog or cat found at large near livestock
(1) The owner of any animals or birds kept for farming purposes, any person authorised by the owner or an authorised officer may destroy any dog or cat found at large—

(a) in the place where the animals or birds are confined; or

(b) if the animals or birds are tethered, in the vicinity of the animals or birds.

(2) The owner, a person authorised by the owner or authorised officer does not incur any civil or criminal liability for acting under subsection (1).
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 12 May 2021, 8:09 am

Up here In qld the police have gotten tired of this complaint so they've made it pretty clear any animal deemed a threat to livestock can be destroyed without question.
If the farmer doesn't have livestock that's another story, you then have to prove you believed the dog was wild as much as I hate them I've never seen a wild poodle.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 13 May 2021, 10:41 pm

Much can be said about domestic dogs and their threat or non threat to persons or stock but that all depends on the dog in mention some domestics are as bad as wild dogs but at home you would think butter wouldn't melt in their mouths, this is why there is many arguments between owner and stock owners when the dog kills, I have hunted wild dogs and killer domestic dogs for most of my life yet i would gag at shooting a quiet domestic dog just for being on my property, but on saying that we don't know the history of these dogs between owner and property owner or if it was just payback for something else and the dogs were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Problem dogs domestic or wild can be shot by the land owner although when it comes to that situation we normally notify the council and the dog owner and if they don't heed the warning then you are well within your rights to shoot the dog /dogs , these dogs '' domestic '' running free are one of the reasons there larger and more savage wild dogs through x breeding with dingoes over many years caused by farmers and city people alike. If this old bloke has over stepped the mark on the laws then you can rest assured the RSPCA will chase him the the ends of the earth to prove their point
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 14 May 2021, 9:25 am

A cattle dog pup of about 8 months that we had given to my mother in law and our dog, which she was minding while we were away, got off their chains. Despite her ringing neighbours and driving around for days looking for them, they disappeared without a trace. We later found out that they had wandered onto a neighbouring property where they were shot by the caretaker. The property was a vineyard, no livestock whatsoever. He had bragged about shooting the dogs in the pub. When approached by the police he denied it and the barflies at the pub he had bragged to "couldn't remember" who had told them. Piece of sh!t.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Farmerpete » 14 May 2021, 11:11 am

Gamerancher wrote:A cattle dog pup of about 8 months that we had given to my mother in law and our dog, which she was minding while we were away, got off their chains. Despite her ringing neighbours and driving around for days looking for them, they disappeared without a trace. We later found out that they had wandered onto a neighbouring property where they were shot by the caretaker. The property was a vineyard, no livestock whatsoever. He had bragged about shooting the dogs in the pub. When approached by the police he denied it and the barflies at the pub he had bragged to "couldn't remember" who had told them. Piece of sh!t.

This situation I totally hate, the caretaker in question is worse than the gum stuck on the bottom on someone's shoe.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to South Australian gun laws