Appearance laws question

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Appearance laws question

Post by S O K A R » 18 May 2021, 7:36 pm

Hey guys,
New here.
So I have a question regarding a current ban on a firearm under the appearance laws.

So in Tasmania there is a ban on the warwick firearms WFA1, now from what I could find the only mention of this was worded as such "Warwick Firearms – WFA1".
But from what I can tell they released the WFA1-L not too long ago, which warwick firearms seem to only sell that version of it now.
Would that constitute a loop-hole as such to get around said appearance laws with the wording being different?
Or would the ban still apply?

Any input greatly appreciated.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Appearance laws question

Post by Farmerpete » 18 May 2021, 10:56 pm

In a word maybe.
Apply for a pta the worst thing that can happen is that you lose some money and they say no.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by DecaHex » 19 May 2021, 2:11 pm

S O K A R wrote:Hey guys,
New here.
So I have a question regarding a current ban on a firearm under the appearance laws.

So in Tasmania there is a ban on the warwick firearms WFA1, now from what I could find the only mention of this was worded as such "Warwick Firearms – WFA1".
But from what I can tell they released the WFA1-L not too long ago, which warwick firearms seem to only sell that version of it now.
Would that constitute a loop-hole as such to get around said appearance laws with the wording being different?
Or would the ban still apply?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Most likely not. Police have the flexibility and tendency to invent their own "laws" (policies on how to enforce guns laws) on the spot. In the WFA1-L's case, they'll probably just ban if it looks pretty much the same as the original WFA1.

Similarly, in WA the Remington 7615 in .223 is banned explicitly in the legislation. I tried asking WApol whether the 7615 would be legal if converted to a cartridge other than .223 and they still said no.
Enthusiast of meme guns
DecaHex
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 May 2021, 2:31 pm

Farmerpete wrote:In a word maybe.
Apply for a pta the worst thing that can happen is that you lose some money and they say no.

Actually, the worst that can happen (and has happened), is they approve it, you buy it, then they decide you can't have it and take it off you.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 May 2021, 3:16 pm

Have they actually given any reasoning behind the appearance laws ?

And If I were to paint a "military appearance" firearm in bright pink, green and yellow, would this drastically change the appearance of the firearm in question thus rendering it non-military appearance?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 19 May 2021, 3:41 pm

There’s no reason and your gun would look gay.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bah! » 19 May 2021, 9:31 pm

Colours don't make thing gay dude, being gay makes them gay.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 21 May 2021, 10:10 am

womble wrote:There’s no reason and your gun would look gay.

My understanding was it's only gay if you push back :D :D :D
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 21 May 2021, 6:04 pm

bah! wrote:Colours don't make thing gay dude, being gay makes them gay.

Really. You sure about that.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 May 2021, 6:12 pm

My understanding is that appearance laws exist so as a lafo cannot be mistaken for a terrorist or mass shooter when he or she goes out in public whilst carrying a firearm. Inciting fear and panic.
:unknown: I really don’t f*cking know. Hopefully somebody else can explain the reasoning for appearance laws.

Generally laws are intended to be based in reason and subject to reasonable interpretation. The firearms act has a few that would defy that. It’s quite unique in that respect.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bah! » 21 May 2021, 8:05 pm

womble wrote:
bah! wrote:Colours don't make thing gay dude, being gay makes them gay.

Really. You sure about that.

You dopey ******. Shame it doesn't have a few hello kitty stickers on it.

womble wrote:But today it’s not enough. We need more young volunteers. We need more young women volunteers.
In fact the more diverse the memberships the better. The more cultural differences the better. The more racial differences the better. The more muslims the better. The more gays the better. The more asians the better. The more hippie weirdo green haired people who identify as bizzare genders the better

Here you go, that is just what I meant.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 May 2021, 8:26 pm

womble wrote:My understanding is that appearance laws exist so as a lafo cannot be mistaken for a terrorist or mass shooter when he or she goes out in public whilst carrying a firearm. Inciting fear and panic.
:unknown: I really don’t f*cking know. Hopefully somebody else can explain the reasoning for appearance laws.

Generally laws are intended to be based in reason and subject to reasonable interpretation. The firearms act has a few that would defy that. It’s quite unique in that respect.

I think it's high time we were told what the nonsense is all about, because there's no way it is making the public any safer, all it seems to do is cost the government lots of money enforcing it.
Personally I think it's just another thing to control just for the sake of controlling something.... control freaks.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by DecaHex » 22 May 2021, 4:40 pm

womble wrote:My understanding is that appearance laws exist so as a lafo cannot be mistaken for a terrorist or mass shooter when he or she goes out in public whilst carrying a firearm. Inciting fear and panic.

Which is all pointless since a) gun owners are not exactly allowed to go brandishing them around in the first place and b) gun owners are treated as "terrorists" and "mass shooters" anyway by the public as soon as they catch wind that you're a gun owner, regardless what type of gun it is
Enthusiast of meme guns
DecaHex
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 May 2021, 6:00 pm

I think that's the crux of it. But there is zero logic in it. Was introduced in '96 if I recall correctly.

Its one of those laws that totally sh1t me.

Next they will ban Shanghai's. Oops, my mistake. Already banned in Victoria.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Tasmanian gun laws