Clay target thrower

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Clay target thrower

Post by Shootermick » 01 Jun 2021, 7:15 am

I’m after recommendations for a portable clay target thrower. I’ve got a couple of shotguns, but have never shot clays. I’d like to give it a go and thought why not get my own thrower and give it a run on the farm.
Budget would be under 1k, battery operated so I can set it up anywhere, and portable enough that I can easily lift it onto the back of the ute.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Clay target thrower

Post by Bugman » 01 Jun 2021, 7:41 am

A mate and I had he same idea some time back and after a bit of research, ended up with a Champion Easy Thrower 2. I think we paid around $800 then but no doubt they would be a bit more now. Fitted in the ute nice and easy, has wheels so you could move it around. Maybe worth a look.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 01 Jun 2021, 9:56 am

Hi Mate
Clevers firearms usually have some on their web site.
Clevers prices are good as well
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 01 Jun 2021, 10:01 am

Bugman wrote:A mate and I had he same idea some time back and after a bit of research, ended up with a Champion Easy Thrower 2. I think we paid around $800 then but no doubt they would be a bit more now. Fitted in the ute nice and easy, has wheels so you could move it around. Maybe worth a look.

The Champion Workhorse trap looks ok too. About $600, no wheels though, but looks like it’s stable and works well in the videos,and still small enough to move around.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 01 Jun 2021, 10:29 am

xhunter has some cheap epicshot single and double throwers.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by scoot » 01 Jun 2021, 4:53 pm

I've just been through this. Broke the arm on 2x cheap manual cooking units. Decided on an electric and went into google mode. Sub $1000 there isn't a lot of difference between brands (there are a lot now) but it seems a case of you get what you pay for. Lots of negative reviews out there. For very casual use you might get lucky and have a good run. If this is the way you want to go I'd just pick the cheapest one and cross your fingers. Give it a hiding straight up before any warranty is up.
For $1350 I just bought an atlas at50 which seems like a very solid unit. Fast cycle time, holds 50, descent warranty and failing that spares are available. Atlas also do a patriot at the 1k mark. Very similar to at50 but the metalwork is zinc steet not stainless, and I don't think it's compatible with a "wobble" base.
The downside...You need to buy a mount or make one. I just welded a plate to some shs that slides into my towbar hitch. :thumbsup: tried it on Sunday, worked a treat.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by scoot » 01 Jun 2021, 4:56 pm

https://claytargetshooting.com.au/at50/
Link if your interested. These guys are the importers and will sell direct to public.......no affiliation!!
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Jun 2021, 6:57 pm

I've had a few throwers, its definitely one of those things where you get what you paid for.

If your going to cheap out, some of the cheap hand crank jobs do ok (value for money wise), but in my experience the cheap electronic ones are problematic and throw poorly.
Definitely aim to spend every part of your budget on an electric if you go down that road.

I gave up on the cheap electronic one I had, no amount of adjustments made it throw well, the spring was light, probably because that's all the motor could pull, and it was slow to wind up between throws.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 01 Jun 2021, 7:22 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I've had a few throwers, its definitely one of those things where you get what you paid for.

If your going to cheap out, some of the cheap hand crank jobs do ok (value for money wise), but in my experience the cheap electronic ones are problematic and throw poorly.
Definitely aim to spend every part of your budget on an electric if you go down that road.

I gave up on the cheap electronic one I had, no amount of adjustments made it throw well, the spring was light, probably because that's all the motor could pull, and it was slow to wind up between throws.

What did you have?
And what did you upgrade to?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment