Lending rifle before selling

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lending rifle before selling

Post by perentie » 10 Jun 2021, 7:00 am

I need to sell my late wifes F class target rifle.
As I understand it I can lend it to someone after getting their Licence details etc. They can pay me for it, take it home then apply for a PTA later. After getting their PTA they can do the transfer at their local dealer.
I live in the country away from dealers etc and thought if someone comes all this way to look at it then wants to buy it that this would be what could happen.
I am a bit rusty on this. Any thoughts?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Lending rifle before selling

Post by straightshooter » 10 Jun 2021, 7:26 am

Although it might seem reasonable under your interpretation of Qld firearms laws always remember that if anything goes wrong it will be at YOUR risk.
In NSW the police currently seem to be on a campaign of over enforcement of firearms laws.
I suppose for firearms owners it is a salutary reminder of who is in charge.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 10 Jun 2021, 8:31 am

Mate I don’ think that’s possible in QLD. Someone can use your rifle if they are licensed in That category however once they have a PTA in for it they can’t possess it until PTA approved is my understanding.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 10 Jun 2021, 8:33 am

Link below has some info mate. Fairly clear in the requirements.
Last edited by JimTom on 10 Jun 2021, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 10 Jun 2021, 9:12 am

JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 10 Jun 2021, 9:16 am

Paragraph 6 is something you must be aware of. Also, do you belong to a rifle club, with a designated club armourer? If so, this could be another avenue to explore.
Hope it works out ok for you.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 10 Jun 2021, 9:23 am

A lot of misinformed people here.

I suggest you read section 35 part 6C of the weapons act 1990 as that contains your answer.

I would avoid the police website and revert back to the weapons act and weapons regulations as that is the law.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (60.15 KiB) Viewed 2104 times
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Jun 2021, 12:26 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:A lot of misinformed people here.

I suggest you read section 35 part 6C of the weapons act 1990 as that contains your answer.

I would avoid the police website and revert back to the weapons act and weapons regulations as that is the law.

Well, that clears that up . If I have any firearms legal questions I’m gunna ask you from now on :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 10 Jun 2021, 1:17 pm

Thanks for clearing that up mate. Perhaps work on the delivery next time though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jun 2021, 2:43 pm

JimTom wrote:Thanks for clearing that up mate. Perhaps work on the delivery next time though.

I don't see anything wrong with his delivery.
People giving incorrect information need to be corrected, otherwise somebody else finds this thread from a Google search, reads just the bit that agrees with their own interpretation, and keeps perpetuating it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 10 Jun 2021, 3:31 pm

Intent is hard to get across through the internet. Apologies if my post seemed harsh or critical. That was not my intention.

I am a anal person. I would make a good ATO auditor(for the state not the poor sod getting audited) as policies and procedures and the letter of the law are of an interest to me.

I feel as lawful firearms owners we should know the laws that we are guided by, even if we don't agree with them. The kids game Chinese whispers is the perfect example why people should go to the source and not take peoples word for it.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Jun 2021, 5:54 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. As I understand it, only the Executor of the will has the right to dispose of the weapon - i.e. advertise it for sale, surrender it to police or direct a person to but not to lend, lease or hire. You do not "own" the weapon as it is on your late wife's license. If it has been willed to you, you would have to submit a PTA etc.
Should a person buy the weapon, they would have to apply for a PTA and once approved the weapon would have to be transferred from your late wife's license to the new approved and licenced owner . This would also have to be through a licenced dealer or in your case the local police station.
Possession cannot be transferred to a new owner until they have a current PTA in their possession
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Robin » 10 Jun 2021, 11:56 pm

I wouldn't lend it to anyone, if anything happens, its going to point back to you , Its not worth the risk, take it to a gun dealer and they sort it out for you.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 11 Jun 2021, 8:22 am

Thanks for the replies. It has been transferred to my Licence already but as my interest is Black Powder shooting not F class I choose to sell it.
I will take some pics and advertise it and see what pans out.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles