not quite shooting but the goat cops it

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

not quite shooting but the goat cops it

Post by bah! » 08 Jun 2021, 8:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RftxGsTG-ms

Have to be patient, doesn't happen too fast
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: not quite shooting but the goat cops it

Post by bigpete » 08 Jun 2021, 5:52 pm

Still counts as shooting
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jun 2021, 11:12 pm

Even discounting what the mic picks up and magnifies,,, I couldn't believe the amount of noise ol mate was making, or being skylined, and then not being ready when necessary.
Those goats (especially the nannies) were on to him very early in the piece.
It's a miracle they didn't just up and bolt (pardon my pun) straight away.
:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bah! » 07 Jul 2021, 4:27 pm

Hard to know what will make the goats bolt sometimes. I do notice the billies doing that weird bleat to alert the herd in a few shots and I've had them doing that and trying to make me out, in as close as 25m. OTOH I stumbled onto herd from upwind at about 10m and they just doodled around like idiots before finally bolting.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 08 Jul 2021, 4:42 am

If you’re in country where goats get shot at regular, if they see you first, you won’t get near them. I shot goats in the high granite ridge country around Tenterfield, and up on the ridge a Olympic athlete wouldn’t keep up if they could see you. You’d have to stalk up on them from downwind from cover .Given a chance I’d take out a nanny, the kid would hang around to be taken as well.
More than enough meat for me , I’d leave the rest of the herd alone . Kid meat of the hindquarters is tender and looks like chicken breast :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bah! » 08 Jul 2021, 7:30 pm

This is more swamp/creeklines so you're lucky to see more than 50m in any direction, sometimes half that,
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey