Kangaroo culling

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Kangaroo culling

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 19 Jun 2021, 8:29 pm

bigpete wrote:Yes,many roo shooters use semi automatic rifles

Centre fire. Although a small rimfire round with good shot placement can do the job, it is not ideal.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 19 Jun 2021, 8:35 pm

:sarcasm:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 19 Jun 2021, 9:33 pm

Don't know of any pro roo shooters who use semi autos. The Code of Practice requires a bolt action.

It can be a lifestyle choice or it can be that you don't like people or just like the nights.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 19 Jun 2021, 9:37 pm

animalpest wrote:Don't know of any pro roo shooters who use semi autos. The Code of Practice requires a bolt action.

It can be a lifestyle choice or it can be that you don't like people or just like the nights.

Neither do I
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ZaineB » 19 Jun 2021, 11:47 pm

Bill wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
Bill wrote:A mate shot 1100kg of Roo's last nite, he will get paid about $1.47kg. He will box 3 loads this week, you do the math :drinks:

$1500 odd per week before tax and costs is ok, but id be surprised if he can sustain that all year round.

Being able to sustain that to make a decent income just isn't possible in my neck of the woods.
The property's I have available average 100 tags each per year, 500 roos a year just won't cut it, it's just not worth the effort for me. I truly wish I could,

thats 3 x $1500 a week :drinks: mind you weather and wind play a big part and throw in a bad week it levels out a bit.

Access to loads of country and reputation built up over the years means a good shooters is well rewarded. Id imagine SA and WA would be tough states to get similar numbers

doable around here as well, myself, the old boy and my uncle used to fill the chiller 5 days one week, do nothing the next. then up further north we used to do similar with a few horses and so on involved also for pet meat.

I have mountains of land to shoot on, but unless its kinda a needed cull my heart isnt in it, we have a few orphaned roos here that hang about the house and think they are people...

when dunc posted I assumed he was comissioned to knock a heap down where they had become a pest, I know the Byford to Pinjarra area used to be plagued with them as well as the back road to Jarrahdale (nettleton rd) used to be covered constantly with roos that had been suicide panel beating to the effect of at least 100 dead ones on that stretch of road at any given time.

We used to make good money, but its not something I am in a rush to do anymore, I know a bloke down albany that shoots full time still, but only through the odd archery interclub.

cheers.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigrich » 20 Jun 2021, 8:36 am

duncan61 wrote:The reason I am going to set some standards is the disaster that happend before when I did this.I will list some of the dramas I had
.One of my shooters called and said he wished to go culling and at the time where I lived in Roelands I had all the hill properties from Burekup and back down again.It took all night to start and get around all the land.I said sure thing and got ready.I had a coolroom trailer at my house and had a regular pickup.He turns up at 9.30pm stinking of rum with some strange girl in the ute and a greyhound like dog in a cage on the back.I told him to F off and never saw him again
.A painter on a building site seen my rig and said he had a good property to shoot on.We went up there and it was a perfect bit of land around 800 acres of open paddocks with a small creek going through the middle and they had a herd of Charolais cattle that were all bunched up in one corner.I could see where pigs and roos had been as it was surrounded by state forest.Deer used to show up some times.Before we started he said can I have a pipe and I said sure why not.He pulls out this glass bowl thing puts some clear crystal stuff in it and puffs it up.I had never seen this before but later I find out what it was and this blokes seeing pink elephants
.I had access to a marron farm near Busselton from a farmer I met at the range.The place was being funded by a london gangster and the deal was when he came to Australia I had to take him hunting.My .222 is very accurate but this bloke kept shooting them in the neck.I chatted him about it but the very next roo I put him on he neck shot it again and it was only about 30 metres away.I said mate you have to brain them but he was not having it.I drove him home and told him to F off as well
.Another shooter I put through the course and accuracy test did some good stuff and moved a coolroom to his place in Bunbury and set it all up very well.The plan was to do culling as a job This is why I have the Howa .243 it was supposed to be for him.The problems we had was he was only hitting about 30% of the roos I put him on.We set up one time and I said you drive I will be on the back and lets do the job.We drove in to a place and I dropped 2 before they all scooted back in to the treeline.While I am dropping the green and doing the bung hole I glance at him and his face is all screwed up and he is twistng his feet in to the ground clearly wound up so we switched roles and he missed the next 3 kangaroos.I find out later he is on the meth as well and he had devopled a serious flinch
.This is only the tip of the iceberg it sucks I do all the ground work and other people just fail me
.My other shooter I put through the course phoned me in the morning and wish to go up the hill and cull roos I said sure I will see you at 5.00pm.He turns up no spotlight apparently he drove over it on the weekend and we are going up a slight hill and his back tyres are spinning and we start sliding down towards the creek so he stops and this goes on for a while and I can see a mob of roos but we just cant get to them.I say why are we not in 4x and he declares it doesnt work.I have a bit of a bleat and he goes if you keep whinging I am taking you home so I say good idea.The place we were cutting the paddock up was the main property I had and I could access all the other properties.If I lost that spot it would make things difficult.When I saw him at work the next day he apologised and admitted he had drunk a whole box of beer that day.Is it reasonable that I wish to work with people who are genuine like me.
.Last story.When the box was moved to Bunbury my shooters dad started proccessing the little roos and making the most delightfull burgers with carrots and onions.It went from a little thing to near on fulltime job and he was supplying a heap of people and started making good money.At first he was just using the under 20 kg roos but I went to load out one time and half the roos were gone.He started using bigger and bigger animals and I dropped 3 bulls in the box and never saw them again.This can not happen to me again.Its too much work to be giving it all away

christ almighty, you've certainly met more than your share of crazies :wtf:
i've knocked a few grasshoppers for a farmer twice with a mate who new what it was about . i don't see culling as fun . it's a nessessary job that should be done as humanely as possible . i like to hunt, but i have empathy for the game and don't take "iffy" shots myself . i hope you find someone responsable duncan , and this topic and those who've contributed have given me a bit more knowledge and perspective . cheers :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 20 Jun 2021, 12:48 pm

I have never heard of a Kangaroo culler using a semi auto but now I feel the need for a mini14 in .223.Totaly agree Communism_Is_Cancer.What I need to do is separate the bodies that wish to do a commercial cull and jokers that just wish to go camping with a lot of drink/drugs and the opportunity to waste my ammo on tin cans
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 20 Jun 2021, 11:58 pm

bigrich wrote:i don't see culling as fun . it's a nessessary job that should be done as humanely as possible . i like to hunt, but i have empathy for the game and don't take "iffy" shots myself

my sentiment exactly. hate people who go shooting and indiscriminately shoot at animals.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Sawyers » 24 Jun 2021, 11:24 pm

duncan61 wrote:I am seeking interested parties in culling Kangaroos in the Waroona area.I like a good booze up as much as anyone but I need hunters who are willing to shoot for 8 hours and get 3 an hour.I have all the access to the land but at the risk of sounding like a butt head it needs to be treated as a job thats fun.

My current work will be finishing up very soon Duncan, send us PM as Im keen to jump on board.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jun 2021, 6:17 am

I did a short stint many years back while pig hunting at Cunnamulla...there was a roo plague and the grazier had permits To shoot and let lie ....generally hunting Pigs each Day I might get between zero and a dozen pigs , but something happens when u have to shoot dozens and dozens of animals every night. The noise of the rifle, the lots of killing, dispatching joeys...it gets to you ..( it got to me anyway) .and it’s not nice. It takes a hard, different kind of person to be able to do that all the time. Perhaps someone who really needs money with a family to support , rather than someone who shoots for sport may be a better long term Employee
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 25 Jun 2021, 10:18 am

In season which is October -May as the lands I am culling on are flooded and if you get bogged it takes the edge of it I will be doing it every second week maybe 6 -9 times.There are a lot f foxes and rabbits in the area as well.I will P.M. you this weekend Sawyers
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bah! » 27 Jun 2021, 8:45 am

animalpest wrote:It can be a lifestyle choice or it can be that you don't like people or just like the nights.

Or sleeping? A roo shooter flipped a loaded ute in a Mount Barker street a few months back, locals pretty angry when they left the car and carcasses there, but even angrier when someone came back and only removed the car and some of the carcasses. No reports as to how the shooter fared after the ordeal.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 27 Jun 2021, 8:55 am

Blr243 wrote:I did a short stint many years back while pig hunting at Cunnamulla...there was a roo plague and the grazier had permits To shoot and let lie ....generally hunting Pigs each Day I might get between zero and a dozen pigs , but something happens when u have to shoot dozens and dozens of animals every night. The noise of the rifle, the lots of killing, dispatching joeys...it gets to you ..( it got to me anyway) .and it’s not nice. It takes a hard, different kind of person to be able to do that all the time. Perhaps someone who really needs money with a family to support , rather than someone who shoots for sport may be a better long term Employee

yeah , dispatching "pinkies" and joey's is not for the feint hearted , but it's the kindest thing thing to do . it's either that or the foxes and cats get them . i've been told the noise they make can bring the males in on the attack .
culling isn't a pleasurable thing for me , if it's done legit and properly within the code ,( and i have a aldi range finder to make sure ) it's something i do to help out the property owner in exchange for permission to hunt on their property :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 27 Jun 2021, 8:59 am

ZaineB wrote:
bigrich wrote:i don't see culling as fun . it's a nessessary job that should be done as humanely as possible . i like to hunt, but i have empathy for the game and don't take "iffy" shots myself

my sentiment exactly. hate people who go shooting and indiscriminately shoot at animals.

yup , new shooters with little or no morals and ethics who tresspass and/or run around the bush , blazing away at anything that moves are not giving shooters/hunters a good profile with the general public . definately something i frown on :x
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 27 Jun 2021, 9:44 am

All these creepy shooters out there, well it makes me glad I just shoot on my own. It makes me have more sympathy for those honest, hard working shooters.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 27 Jun 2021, 10:52 pm

bah! wrote:
animalpest wrote:It can be a lifestyle choice or it can be that you don't like people or just like the nights.

Or sleeping? A roo shooter flipped a loaded ute in a Mount Barker street a few months back, locals pretty angry when they left the car and carcasses there, but even angrier when someone came back and only removed the car and some of the carcasses. No reports as to how the shooter fared after the ordeal.

wasnt a young bloke about mid 20s in a white hilux was it?
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bah! » 27 Jun 2021, 11:03 pm

ZaineB wrote:wasnt a young bloke about mid 20s in a white hilux was it?

I had a vague memory that it was a patrol but probably only because it was upside down. He was away getting medical attention so not in the pics. Hopefully someone put his guns away when they came back to move the wreck and clear the carcasses.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by zobster » 29 Jun 2021, 11:53 pm

If only you were in tassie. I would jump at the opportunity to be able to get out and do something I enjoy and make a few quid at the same time.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Ezekiel » 26 Oct 2021, 11:55 pm

Hey Mate

I’m in the Peel area and always up for shoot.
Let me know if you’re not sick of vetting idiots yet.
SSAA Farmer Assist .22 ,223 .308 WA
Ezekiel
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 01 Nov 2021, 4:24 pm

well that was a very interesting read never knew it was like that now or probably has been for a long time I left aussie about 40yrs ago
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by deye243 » 01 Nov 2021, 7:24 pm

northdude wrote:well that was a very interesting read never knew it was like that now or probably has been for a long time I left aussie about 40yrs ago

You left at the right time as it has rolled down hill quicker than s**t since then .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 03 Nov 2021, 9:47 pm

Its game on.I have all the paperwork and tomorrow I am going to the meat works to see exactly what they need.I have met some good people through this site to help and it might work
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2021, 10:20 pm

duncan61 wrote:Its game on.I have all the paperwork and tomorrow I am going to the meat works to see exactly what they need.I have met some good people through this site to help and it might work

Awesome!
If anybody deserves success in this you do, Duncan.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 11 Nov 2021, 9:48 pm

duncan61 wrote:Its game on.I have all the paperwork and tomorrow I am going to the meat works to see exactly what they need.I have met some good people through this site to help and it might work

Good luck with that Duncan. I hope it all goes well for you. You certainly have had some challenging people to deal with.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 11 Nov 2021, 11:58 pm

The game has changed again.There is a processor half way from the farm and where I live that is taking carcasses for $1.10/Kg.Its on my way back so this could work
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 12 Nov 2021, 12:24 am

duncan61 wrote:The game has changed again.There is a processor half way from the farm and where I live that is taking carcasses for $1.10/Kg.Its on my way back so this could work

That’s good news. Have you had any luck getting a reliable offsider? As an aside, do you know who delivers the training in WA to get the Game Harvesting and Meat Handling and Hygiene qualification? I see that TAFE NSW does an online course.

I hope the enterprise goes well for you.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 12 Nov 2021, 2:25 pm

For how many decades has it been illegal to shoot kangaroos without a permit ? I’m not really referring to commercial harvesting for meat and skins , mainly in regards to a grazier wanting to thin them out when he’s suffering from grazing pressure ..... have the current laws been in place for 3-4-5 decades? Or forever ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Nov 2021, 4:00 pm

Blr243 wrote:For how many decades has it been illegal to shoot kangaroos without a permit ? I’m not really referring to commercial harvesting for meat and skins , mainly in regards to a grazier wanting to thin them out when he’s suffering from grazing pressure ..... have the current laws been in place for 3-4-5 decades? Or forever ?

That's what cull permits are intended for.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Nov 2021, 5:07 pm

I’m familiar with the shoot and let lie permit thing a grazier can apply for easily over the phone. I just wondered how far back laws were introduced regarding licenced shooting of kangaroos ....I get the idea it was common decades ago and not many people knew it was illegal to shoot them unless u had a permit/ licence. ..I googled it but no luck finding when the laws were introduced
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2021, 5:20 pm

Blr243 wrote:For how many decades has it been illegal to shoot kangaroos without a permit ? I’m not really referring to commercial harvesting for meat and skins , mainly in regards to a grazier wanting to thin them out when he’s suffering from grazing pressure ..... have the current laws been in place for 3-4-5 decades? Or forever ?

I have no idea, but in the early eighties I required a hunting permit in SA, and was aware that natives were protected, and probably just assumed that included roos. But I was only interested in shooting the species the property owners wanted me to, rabbits, hares, rats, foxes, cats, goats, galahs, crows, starlings, maybe some others, but I never shot any roos, as the few that were around that area at that time weren't any kind of problem.

I doubt forever as we haven't even had firearm laws all that long, I think 1958 was the first attempt to write laws specific to firearms, until then firearm offenses were dealt with under the Crimes Act I believe.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control