Home made dog trapping lures,

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Home made dog trapping lures,

Post by animalpest » 08 Jul 2021, 12:56 am

Well Die Judicii I am no Shiek. But I do run a business. There are 3 things that you need to consider in a thinking of your business model for costs and charges - what it costs you, what your competitors charge and what your clients are prepared to pay. Of course the better you are the more your clients are willing to pay.

I am not "denouncing those who have first hand experience here". I am one of those aplenty. There is much more than just your own experience and much science about what we do.

Far from saying "No evidence to or against" I am suggesting there is ample evidence from credible scientific research papers that give evidence. This is a forum and I can't give enough space to provide the science. And being a forum, it's a waste of my time to do so.

I spent more than 20 years investigating domestic dog poisoning from baiting programs across the whole State. I have had my own pups die from 1080. But I do know how 1080 works from the science as well as first hand.

Do you know how much 1080 it takes to kill your dog? And a wild dog/dingo? How much 1080 is in a bait? How long a 1080 bait lasts? What are the 3 things that reduce 1080 in a bait?

Answer those without looking on the net and I think you know the basics.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jul 2021, 10:01 am

I'll have a crack without looking... its been 30 years since I made a bait but here goes.

How much to kill a dog ... ¼ of a rice grain
How much per bait .. 1 rice grain
Lasts .... effective for a max 6 months dried, much longer in dry climates.
What kills bait? Water, oxygen, time

How'd I go ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 08 Jul 2021, 11:24 am

Jeez mate, you dun pretty good :drinks:
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jul 2021, 1:08 pm

animalpest wrote:Jeez mate, you dun pretty good :drinks:

Fair dinkum?
Had to take an educated guess, perhaps the grey matter is still viable after all.

Dont ask me about Luci-Jet and cyanide, the thread might disappear.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 08 Jul 2021, 2:12 pm

Not sure if the grain of rice was referring to strychnine rather than 1080. It pretty close for that but for 1080 it's only about 2 milligrams for the average dingo size (<20kg). A dog bait contains 6mg of 1080.

How long does a bait last? Depends on rainfall mostly and the type of bait. Some manufactured baits only last 3-28 days. Dried meat can last 2 years if its sitting on top of spinifex.
What 3 things bugger the 1080? Water, some fungi and bacteria.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Jul 2021, 2:21 pm

A-P,,,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol:

I already said that I know bugger all about 1080.
So I'm interested to know the dosage to kill a goanna ( 1080 ) ?

You seem to be reticent about advancing the business name, surely it can't hurt if it's a registered entity a little advertising would be a good thing ??
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 08 Jul 2021, 7:33 pm

Sand Goanna (Varanus gouldii) 50 mg/kg. Rosenberg's Goanna (Varanus rosenbergi) 200-300 mg/kg. Bobtail Lizard (Tiliqa rugosa) 500-800 mg/kg.

Nah I am not on here to advertise. Just enjoy the discussions. And I learn from members about stuff that I don't deal much with.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jul 2021, 9:13 pm

There you go .... our by that much.

I honestly thought that a rice grain was a rough unit of measurement using a small scoop that held a small heap if powder about the size of a grain of rice.
There's nothing to support my rice grain measurement on the internet, I must have been shown the amount on a small scoop and told "its about a rice grain" referring to what the amount looks like???
All this time I thought a "rice grain" was a scientific unit of measurement :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2021, 9:18 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:cash, bottle tops ...anything you want to train them for, there sense of smell is soo good theres no masking our own scent, you have to be so careful to

Yes, I've come to the conclusion ( could easily be wrong) that many animals (dogs, foxes, deer etc) can smell us even when you cover it up with say, eucalyptus or tea tree oil. I think they are able to separate the smells.
E.g. human body, sweat, tea tree oil, Colgate, & the wombat s**t you stepped in. So at best it makes them think twice or confuses them. Therefore still making wind direction critical.

At best cover up smells like tea tree oil assist.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 08 Jul 2021, 9:41 pm

Really enjoy the content of this thread, animalpest thanks for your input.

I've seen the devastation a cunning dog can do recently and the costs to farmer can quickly add up into the 10s of thousands.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Jul 2021, 9:49 pm

animalpest wrote:Sand Goanna (Varanus gouldii) 50 mg/kg. Rosenberg's Goanna (Varanus rosenbergi) 200-300 mg/kg. Bobtail Lizard (Tiliqa rugosa) 500-800 mg/kg.

Nah I am not on here to advertise. Just enjoy the discussions. And I learn from members about stuff that I don't deal much with.

Truth ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As per usual,,,,,,,, nothing discernable or concrete.
Maybe put up or shut up.

Your ??? figures re travelling do not compute. At best exaggerated. :clap: :clap: :clap:
EOS

edited once to say,,,,,, Truth ?
edited twice to say,,,,, There must be major dog legs (pardon the pun) to match the claimed "kilometerage"
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 09 Jul 2021, 12:24 am

Why would I exaggerate on travel? WA is a huge State and I often travel the equivalent of Melbourne to far north Queensland for work. My backyard covers Victoria, NSW and QLD. I have recently done work in SA and QLD. Two of my employees are currently 12.5 hours east of me having driven there. One is 16 hours north. If I go to Kunnunara for work (which I do twice a year) that is 3500km drive. And then when there we will do 3500km of dirt roads in 2 weeks plus bitumen travel. We end up at Broome 900km away after doing every road in the Kimberley. I think you live in a little bubble and don't understand the size of Australia.

So my evidence of distance travelled for my work doesn't " compute" with you. I expect that of some people who live in the suburbs. They cannot understand that others drive many hours to get to work and think nothing of it. If it doesn't compute with you t mearly means you don't understand. Your brain cannot compute beyond your lifes limited experiences.

I have put the effects on goannas etc. And that is not acceptable as "truth". I can reference the scientific papers here but really, this is a shooting forum, not a critique of science.

I don't want to advertise my business. But Die Judicil seems to consider anything I say as a threat to his manlihood or knowledge. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on a subject is seen as a threat to his manlihood. I don't know as I am not a sociologist.

But I will say, if you want me to tell you what my business is then so be it. But first you must reveal who you are - your full name, address and other information so that we can see who you are rather than hiding behind some anonymous handle. What? You don't want to reveal who you really are? Hmmm so why ask me?

"Concrete"? I offer credible scientific evidence. I tell you my travel which obviously you must think that going 2 suburbs over is far enough. You, in your posts offer nothing but opinions. I put evidence.

"Discernable or concrete"? Nothing I see on this forum is " Discernable or concrete". It is opinions or personal experiences that are never concrete. They often cannot be verified as the truth. Yet you push me when I offer matters that can be backed by published research. Why?

Maybe I have called you out? Maybe you you lack facts to your opinions?

This is the reason I am on this forum. Question those who express opinions that have no basis on facts or science. You will note that there are many posts I don't comment on. That is because, unlike some who have an opinion about most subjects but don't know, I only provide opinions on what I actually know a lot about.

So rather than post about something you have no idea about and poo poo those that do, please offer opinions based on facts, evidence and science to back your negative comments. Like you ask of me and only me.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jul 2021, 6:44 am

We all know how we’ll sound travels in the still night air . If u blokes are going to have a disagreement can u please keep the volume down. The sound of your voices is carrying down the valley and you are scaring away all the dogs .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 09 Jul 2021, 10:51 am

Haha yep. I am not poking anyone but someone seems to want to do that to me. Jealous maybe
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Jul 2021, 1:15 pm

animalpest wrote:Haha yep. I am not poking anyone but someone seems to want to do that to me. Jealous maybe

:lol:

PM sent.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 12 Jul 2021, 6:13 am

Now that’s sorted, anyone tried ground up horse hoof
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 12 Jul 2021, 9:22 am

Nah CT never heard of it , i have had some success with sardine in mineral water blend or mix it to a pulp then put it back into the tin and fold the lid back over so they don't get it all out at once , Mate regardless of what we all say a dog is a survivor and will eat most anything just some things are like candy to them but in my opinion it amounts to a good scent coming from the bait
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 12 Jul 2021, 9:49 am

Horse hooves works quite well. In a review of lures from memory it ranked good but not the best
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by CT hillbilly » 13 Jul 2021, 6:16 am

A good mate of mine that makes his own lures grinds the hoof clippings to a powder adds a little water to make a paste then adds his secret herbs and spices ( can be anything) and it seems to work pretty well
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 13 Jul 2021, 6:18 am

Just use clippings like this ground up
Attachments
FD029663-BD0A-4473-84F0-5E72D847C302.jpeg
FD029663-BD0A-4473-84F0-5E72D847C302.jpeg (323.39 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Jul 2021, 12:23 pm

CT hillbilly wrote:Just use clippings like this ground up

Heh,,,,,,,,,,, Maybe secure a regular supply of toe nail and finger nail clippings from beauty shops and podiatrists ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jul 2021, 3:27 pm

I did some shop fitting for a couple of beauty salons ....surrounded by insecure women with fake breasts eye lash eXtensiins Botox duck lips , it was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 13 Jul 2021, 5:11 pm

Yep I could picture that I’ll take the horse hoof any day
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jul 2021, 6:47 pm

Horse hoof makes sense as a lure I think .....those bits On the ground last for ages when a carcass rots away .....I can imagine that a bit off hoof tied in position leaves a lure in place for ages rain hail sleet or snow And still active and attracting a dogs attention
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CT hillbilly » 13 Jul 2021, 8:12 pm

also makes a great base lure for mixing other stuff with it as its a curiosity/ food lure base
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2024, 3:32 pm

Regurgitating an old thread. Animal pest or other experience dog/fox hunters.

I'm heading off for a few days next week and there are a few deer and very well educated foxes. I usually try to call the foxes or just ambush them where they tend to hang out. Sooo,

I now have young dog and today collected some pee. (Abt 6 months)

I'd like to collect my trail camera on the first day and leave some pee/scent around nearby but concerned about my scent.

The buggers are very switched on and run like fuc if your spotted or get wind of me. And I'll be there a few days so don't want to stink the area up.

So to help hold/atract them I'm thinking;

1. Would spraying eucalyptus on my shoes and some leather gloves do the trick?

2. How much pee should I leave? I was thinking just dip a thin stck in the pee and drag it around in an opening in the bush a bit. Is that idea make sense?

3. Or use heaps and spread it around?

4. Sardines/fish bait, do they work?

P.S. I can't and in any case dont generally spotlight.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 17 Mar 2024, 4:06 pm

Last week I was dragging carcasses behind my quad mostly wherever I went I figured it might attract dingoes to my racks that I was riding on . It worked and I was seeing fresh tracks either in my quad tracks or on the clean slate left behind from the carcass dragging.. the owners were also seeing dog tacks on my tracks. I was hearing lots of howling on the property next door I don’t think eucalyptus will mask a scent. I have heard dogs still smell one gram of human amongst 1000 grams of masking product. I howled in my first dingo. It was so exciting watching him come in with the thermal .. I started shaking. Remember that a hung feather or wd40 or deodorant will also work as a lure. Anything that gets their attention. I can’t wait to return to that place. I think I’m developing a dingo addiction
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Mar 2024, 4:08 pm

I have a bit of home made dog lure I can post you. Not sure how fast aust post is
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2024, 5:19 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have a bit of home made dog lure I can post you. Not sure how fast aust post is

Fantastic offer.

TBH probably better in the long run I learn what I can use.

Pretty sure dog piss works. Obviously I have a supply.

Any additional suggestions Blr ?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2024, 5:40 pm

Blr, do you make your own lures?????
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control