Camo clothes on the range

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Camo clothes on the range

Post by InisBineest » 13 Jul 2021, 6:43 pm

Ok, so this topic picked up in another post, let's air it out here...

As shooters, we don't like appearance laws. Appearance laws restrict the variety of firearms we can legally possess simply based on whether some paper pusher believes they look too military.

But then we have standing orders on a shooting range: no Camo clothes on the range? I see a contradiction here.

Let me be clear, I don't wear Camo at all (makes my butt look big:P), and to be fair there are some feelings about whether or not non military personnel should waltz about in such gear. But really, fashion on the range? Is that what is being regulated now? It just smacks of hypocrisy. You can turn up with your Lee Enfields, Mausers, Springfield's and Martinis, but no camo?

Side note: Mate, have you seen western action shooters on the pistol range:D I suspect they have more fun than we do just wearing boring jeans:P

Discuss!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Camo clothes on the range

Post by pomemax » 13 Jul 2021, 7:18 pm

I personally think most people just dont wish to be a Rambo lookalike.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 13 Jul 2021, 7:24 pm

In a article in the News a couple of years ago now I think but it just seems like last year. There was some sort of crime from memory and one of the suspects belonged to a gun club. Then a little more investigation and stories that there were weird old guys wearing cammo at a country range. This lead to all sorts of rumors such as training camp for para military group to just old weird guys playing war games.
This is the type of reputation that I would say that all gun clubs go a long way to discourage. Gun clubs go to a lot of effort to promote sport shooting as an open and anti discriminatory sport that is a good community member.
Wearing cammo may seem a long draw of the bow but appearances and first impressions are everything.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by InisBineest » 13 Jul 2021, 7:30 pm

Larry wrote:In a article in the News a couple of years ago now I think but it just seems like last year. There was some sort of crime from memory and one of the suspects belonged to a gun club. Then a little more investigation and stories that there were weird old guys wearing cammo at a country range. This lead to all sorts of rumors such as training camp for para military group to just old weird guys playing war games.
This is the type of reputation that I would say that all gun clubs go a long way to discourage. Gun clubs go to a lot of effort to promote sport shooting as an open and anti discriminatory sport that is a good community member.
Wearing cammo may seem a long draw of the bow but appearances and first impressions are everything.

That makes a lot of sense on the surface, but it does seem to set a dangerous precedent of when and why things should be banned.

That said, I take your point on public perception mattering. And I know exactly what you mean about "weird old guys playing war games". It is a sad stereotype, but not entirely undue.

Like I said, I don't care much for camo myself, but I could see the same reasoning that is used to ban it on ranges being used to ban various firearms for their parents blood C appearance or perception. Single shot 22s and old break action shotguns are the firearms I see most often seized by police during busts of various sorts. Could conclusions be drawn about those types of firearms based on how often they appear in drug/weapon seizures? (I hope not, but I think you see the point)
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 13 Jul 2021, 7:42 pm

There is a convergence between tradie trousers and tacticool now too, anyone else notice that?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by InisBineest » 13 Jul 2021, 7:49 pm

bah! wrote:There is a convergence between tradie trousers and tacticool now too, anyone else notice that?

Haha, should they ban that too?
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 13 Jul 2021, 7:51 pm

Yes the Hard Yakka type trousers in plain light dark ? are great pants to wear and very practical re hunting. You would not get any comments from range users or management wearing something like that.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by pomemax » 13 Jul 2021, 7:52 pm

bah! wrote:There is a convergence between tradie trousers and tacticool now too, anyone else notice that?

yes and the perception is probably the reason most ranges DISCOURAGE camo on the fireing line I dont know of any that have Banned it
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Jul 2021, 7:56 pm

InisBineest wrote:

Haha, should they ban that too?

Depending on the number of pockets, they should at least consider some sort of restrictions, its just to easy for someone to misplace belonging with all those pockets.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 13 Jul 2021, 8:23 pm

Can't say I've ever heard of a coloured clothing policy at my range. But then some ranges ban mags, brakes, big calibers etc...
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 13 Jul 2021, 8:38 pm

I'm not sure if I really need a ban, more just aware that fashion is a bit of a military-friendly bent lately, not just surfer dag dad gear from years back.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm

I was at a supermarket on Monday. A dude there was wearing ALL cammo + cammo mask. I joke not.
I couldn't believe it. I was going to point him out to the wife, but couldn't find him again he had just disappeared.....now I'm joking. :)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 13 Jul 2021, 10:29 pm

The real reason is that if a person is still on the range at say the 200 or more and no one sees them the range could be opened while that person is still at their target . Camouflage clothing makes that even more likely to happen . I have seen this happen and I had to quickly stop the range officer from opening the range . I seemed to be the only one that spotted the guy still at his target .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 13 Jul 2021, 10:54 pm

JohnV wrote:The real reason is that if a person is still on the range at say the 200 or more and no one sees them the range could be opened while that person is still at their target . Camouflage clothing makes that even more likely to happen . I have seen this happen and I had to quickly stop the range officer from opening the range . I seemed to be the only one that spotted the guy still at his target .

I'd have thought that what you're saying is quite logical and reasonable hey
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 13 Jul 2021, 10:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I was at a supermarket on Monday. A dude there was wearing ALL cammo + cammo mask. I joke not.
I couldn't believe it. I was going to point him out to the wife, but couldn't find him again he had just disappeared.....now I'm joking. :)

Yep have seen knobs getting around like that myself
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Jul 2021, 4:51 am

Larry wrote:In a article in the News a couple of years ago now I think but it just seems like last year. There was some sort of crime from memory and one of the suspects belonged to a gun club. Then a little more investigation and stories that there were weird old guys wearing cammo at a country range. This lead to all sorts of rumors such as training camp for para military group to just old weird guys playing war games.

I agree with all this. The anti’s would love to push the Rambo wannabe, right wing extremists in camo image of firearms owners. As someone else pointed out blending in to the surroundings so a RO can’t see you is not very safe
I knew a fella 20 years ago who was ex military. 6RAR if I remember correctly. We were at a suburban pub , and he noticed a fella in full military dress. Not camo , but my mate went a bit funny and walked up and talked to this fella sussing him out. After a couple of minutes my mate went up to pub security asking them to keep a eye on the guy , as he was decked out with SAS insignia. SAS don’t go in public like that apparently. This guy sensed something was up and promptly left
There are some odd fellas who like to dress up in military uniforms or camo. I gotta wonder what’s going on inside their heads . I’ve come across a weirdo at my range once wearing a lot of military gear. I’ll give anybody a go, but this guy was odd.
Technically none of these guys broke any laws, but letting some people live out there fantasy might not end well
There’s more to the second story, I was wondering if the guy was in the right state of mind to be licensed

I generally stay away from people who wear a lot of camo now, unless it’s out in the paddock and worn for a reason

Just my 2cents :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by InisBineest » 14 Jul 2021, 8:38 am

JohnV wrote:The real reason is that if a person is still on the range at say the 200 or more and no one sees them the range could be opened while that person is still at their target . Camouflage clothing makes that even more likely to happen . I have seen this happen and I had to quickly stop the range officer from opening the range . I seemed to be the only one that spotted the guy still at his target .

That makes sense! That I can deal with:)
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 14 Jul 2021, 12:34 pm

The reason you can't or shouldn't wear camo clothes on the range can be illustrated by the following instructional pictures.

Screenshot_20210714-123234_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210714-123234_Gallery.jpg (591.15 KiB) Viewed 5101 times

Screenshot_20210714-123258_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210714-123258_Gallery.jpg (559.19 KiB) Viewed 5101 times
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Jul 2021, 1:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by DaveZ » 14 Jul 2021, 3:18 pm

InisBineest wrote:

Surely that's more of a breakdown in the safety systems of the range than a problem with the persons clothing? No way of keeping tabs on people on the firing range other than having a look and hoping their clothing stands out enough to see them?

Personally I don't think it should matter what you wear. We don't seem to be allowed to judge anyone on anything in the wider community these days lest we discriminate some poor sod or offend their sensitivities, yet, if you own a gun, everything you do must be looked upon with suspicion, "in the interest of public safety". Surely the camouflaged guy down range issue could be solved the same way they do it in hunting areas, a compulsory piece of high vis clothing for visibility.

I wouldn't go out anywhere in full camo, but if it floats your boat, why not? I wouldn't go out in my work uniform either, but people do, I think it's weird but who am I to say that it actually is? Wear what you want I reckon.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Jul 2021, 5:05 pm

DaveZ wrote:
InisBineest wrote:

Surely that's more of a breakdown in the safety systems of the range than a problem with the persons clothing? No way of keeping tabs on people on the firing range other than having a look and hoping their clothing stands out enough to see them?

Personally I don't think it should matter what you wear. We don't seem to be allowed to judge anyone on anything in the wider community these days lest we discriminate some poor sod or offend their sensitivities, yet, if you own a gun, everything you do must be looked upon with suspicion, "in the interest of public safety". Surely the camouflaged guy down range issue could be solved the same way they do it in hunting areas, a compulsory piece of high vis clothing for visibility.

I wouldn't go out anywhere in full camo, but if it floats your boat, why not? I wouldn't go out in my work uniform either, but people do, I think it's weird but who am I to say that it actually is? Wear what you want I reckon.

This has actually happened, a person in full cam was at 200 yards and the range was opened for shootin, the chaps camo was very effective and but for a quick action by another RO a disaster could have occured. Since then full camo is not accepted at our range, pants, yes no problem, jacket, yes no problem but just not together. It is also the reason why all shooters going past the 100 yard line MUST wear a Hi-Vis fluoro vest now, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 14 Jul 2021, 5:23 pm

people wearing camo when not using it for concealment or when its not part of a standardized uniform are just cringey as hell, its embarrassing to watch, my favorite are the mongs wearing it when they go spotlighting at night, like, yes that helped you sneak around in the UTE...

do I think they should be banned from doing it? no.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Patriot » 14 Jul 2021, 5:46 pm

Yeah I’ve never gotten the camo thing. Years ago I worked at the QR workshops in South Townsville and a lot of the old blokes there liked to wear their QR uniform after hours and on weekends. One bloke even slept in his. I no it’s off topic but it made think of it.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2021, 5:56 pm

Requiring a Hi-Viz vest to move forward of the firing line is a much better idea than trying to control what people wish to wear. It's hardly a problem to add a vest to your range kit with your other PPE.

When I was shooting IPSC it was a problem because so much of the range is hidden behind obstacles like walls, doors, barrels, vehicles, and the targets themselves. When we all returned to the firing line, before going live for the next shooter, one person was required to walk through the entire course of fire confirming all targets were patched or reset, and that the range was clear.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jul 2021, 6:35 pm

The only camo I got is three d netting type leaf stuff left over from my deer bow hunting days. I think if I wore that to a range I would get kicked off before I signed in. Not likely I don’t go to ranges anyway
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2021, 7:13 pm

InisBineest wrote:Ok, so this topic picked up in another post, let's air it out here...

As shooters, we don't like appearance laws. Appearance laws restrict the variety of firearms we can legally possess simply based on whether some paper pusher believes they look too military.

But then we have standing orders on a shooting range: no Camo clothes on the range? I see a contradiction here.

Let me be clear, I don't wear Camo at all (makes my butt look big:P), and to be fair there are some feelings about whether or not non military personnel should waltz about in such gear. But really, fashion on the range? Is that what is being regulated now? It just smacks of hypocrisy. You can turn up with your Lee Enfields, Mausers, Springfield's and Martinis, but no camo?

Side note: Mate, have you seen western action shooters on the pistol range:D I suspect they have more fun than we do just wearing boring jeans:P

Discuss!

Probably 95% of all the clothing I own is either military or camo. Camo boots, gloves, hats, T-shirts, jackets, shirts, packs, LBE's and LBV's, even my face mask and wallet are camo. I have a variety of camo patterns so I can best match whatever terrain I'm in. I get into town maybe 20-30 times a year, mostly the post office, Bunnings and the gunshop, sometimes the doctor. I'm not going to waste money on alternative clothing just to conform to other people's opinion of how I should dress.

I've been watching Combat! again (I downloaded the episodes years ago and watch them pretty regularly) and I decided to wear my US Army helmet all day yesterday just to see how annoying it might get, including the gas station and to collect parcels from the post office, and not a single person batted an eyelid :-) For the record, I wore it for ten hours with no trouble at all. It does affect your hearing perception slightly, but also amplifies the phone. The only time I took it off was during one plinking session when I started feeling the cold wind around my noggin.

https://youtu.be/K2kUpiEWiNk
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 14 Jul 2021, 7:39 pm

thats cringe as bro, but you do you man
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2021, 8:02 pm

ZaineB wrote:thats cringe as bro, but you do you man

I can't do anybody else :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Jul 2021, 10:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
InisBineest wrote:Ok, so this topic picked up in another post, let's air it out here...

Discuss!

Probably 95% of all the clothing I own is either military or camo. Camo boots, gloves, hats, T-shirts, jackets, shirts, packs, LBE's and LBV's, even my face mask and wallet are camo. I have a variety of camo patterns so I can best match whatever terrain I'm in. I get into town maybe 20-30 times a year, mostly the post office, Bunnings and the gunshop, sometimes the doctor. I'm not going to waste money on alternative clothing just to conform to other people's opinion of how I should dress.

I've been watching Combat! again (I downloaded the episodes years ago and watch them pretty regularly) and I decided to wear my US Army helmet all day yesterday just to see how annoying it might get, including the gas station and to collect parcels from the post office, and not a single person batted an eyelid :-) For the record, I wore it for ten hours with no trouble at all. It does affect your hearing perception slightly, but also amplifies the phone. The only time I took it off was during one plinking session when I started feeling the cold wind around my noggin.

https://youtu.be/K2kUpiEWiNk

combat! . now there's some memories . old sgt saunders and his thompson :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Smiley » 15 Jul 2021, 5:52 am

ZaineB wrote:people wearing camo when not using it for concealment or when its not part of a standardized uniform are just cringey as hell, its embarrassing to watch, my favorite are the mongs wearing it when they go spotlighting at night, like, yes that helped you sneak around in the UTE...

do I think they should be banned from doing it? no.

I'm with you.
Camo is not for me. I don't even bother with it when hunting anymore. As for gun clubs banning it, well I think it's a public perception thing that they're trying to avoid, which I can understand.

Golf clubs and night clubs also have dress codes and I doubt they would let you in wearing it.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges