Who uses adjustable combs ?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Who uses adjustable combs ?

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jul 2021, 9:29 am

When shooting prone off a bipod, or on a rifle range , or bush stalking? When is an adjustable comb useful and how so ? When my new rifle arrives it has adj comb ( height only ) .....I never used one before
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Who uses adjustable combs ?

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jul 2021, 10:09 am

Really only needed with high-magnification optics and iron sights to have a consistent and precise cheekweld. Trying to shoot through a 40-power scope without a cheekweld can be difficult due to the very tiny exit pupil. The exit pupil is the actual shaft of light passing through the scope. My 10-40x56 has a 1.4mm exit pupil, so your eye has to be very precisely positioned behind the scope. With iron sights a consistent cheekweld is good for a consistent sight picture.

With low-power or unmagnified Optics cheekweld becomes irrelevant as your eye can be anywhere that you can see the retical - as long as the parallax is set correctly.

I like it on the Ruger Precision rimfire because I have the scope mounted so high.
https://youtu.be/VJJM4nQO7Kk
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jul 2021, 12:42 pm

I use them and think their great, sight acquisition is much faster with the comb. Aside from making it easy to line your eye up with the scope I feel it adds an extra layer of consistency to how pressure is applied to the stock which can only help with tightening groups.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jul 2021, 1:25 pm

Cool. So I’ll just wait and see when it turns up , adjust it up if it fits me and just leave it there
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Smiley » 19 Jul 2021, 5:33 am

I have a couple and they're good, but I've seen blokes use them to hold their head up while prone, putting too much weight on it which has an adverse affect on accuracy.
Combs are great for sight acquisition but they're not a pillow.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2021, 8:45 am

Smiley, your description amused me , I can actually see how when lying prone for a while sitting on the edge of a dam, and it’s boring for hours it’s not hard to nod off. But I do get your point and I will be aware of it when I set up my comb
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 22 Jul 2021, 8:43 pm

I thought about making something to fit my BLR. The shape of the stock means that the scope appears to sit quite high. But when I do my "close your eyes and mount the rifle to shoulder" it is perfect. So it is only the shape of the stock, rather than the scope being wrong. But as a walkabout pig gun it is not worth messing with my stock. My BLR is an old FN, so has a nice walnut stock. Better not mess it up!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jul 2021, 8:47 pm

I can imagine anything fitted to the stock of a blr would look very out of place ....pics online I have seen of adjustable comb On my new Maral looks pretty silly too
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment