Getting onto some pest control (dogs, foxes and cats)

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Getting onto some pest control (dogs, foxes and cats)

Post by Harrynsw » 18 Jul 2021, 9:37 pm

Where does a bloke get on to some voluntary pest control?
Iv got a .223 that's an absolute laser and ready to smoke some dogs/cats/foxes.
I had heard something about doing it through the DPI ??
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Getting onto some pest control (dogs, foxes and cats)

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jul 2021, 9:59 pm

U have to find someone who is willing to let somebody he does not know to shoot rifles on his land .......so it’s very difficult and very rarely is it goin to just fall into your lap ......offer something in return for access ......you need to be on your absolute best behaviour and heave your mates behind , they can go find their own spots .....I only take one bloke , the same bloke I been hunting with for years His name is Deisel. He has four legs and I keep him tied up the whole damn time ......way out yonder, 12 hours drive from major cities their are graziers actually looking for shooters to come onto their land because they are fed up with thousands of Roos taking all their grass
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 18 Jul 2021, 10:23 pm

Wish my .223 was like a laser. You must have a good one :lol:
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 18 Jul 2021, 10:55 pm

Blr243 wrote:U have to find someone who is willing to let somebody he does not know to shoot rifles on his land .......so it’s very difficult and very rarely is it goin to just fall into your lap ......offer something in return for access ......you need to be on your absolute best behaviour and heave your mates behind , they can go find their own spots .....I only take one bloke , the same bloke I been hunting with for years His name is Deisel. He has four legs and I keep him tied up the whole damn time ......way out yonder, 12 hours drive from major cities their are graziers actually looking for shooters to come onto their land because they are fed up with thousands of Roos taking all their grass

Hi Blr243
I manage to shoot a couple of foxes when I'm on pig properties with my mates, and the farmers appreciate it. Especially if they're running sheep. Getting on a property isn't a problem.
But I wanted to do more for the native animals and help a farmer through my efforts.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 18 Jul 2021, 11:02 pm

animalpest wrote:Wish my .223 was like a laser. You must have a good one :lol:

Hi animalpest
You just need to find the cartridge your rifle likes best. When I bought my rifle, I went to the range with 4 different makes of ammo. I was lucky to find on the second box I was getting half MOA groups with the Hornady TAP.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 18 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm

Sorry HarryNSW I was being funny.
Just your comment that your .223 is like a laser. It's the same as any other .223

I am not sure how you get other properties to shoot on but the best way I found decades ago when I was in the same boat was knock on doors. No camo gear, big knives hanging off you sort of stuff. Dress respectable, be polite.

If you are actually trying to do your bit for native animals then the very best advice I can give you is be knowledgeable about the REAL impacts of the pest and the REAL effects what you do to improve native fauna through pest control.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 18 Jul 2021, 11:57 pm

animalpest wrote:Sorry HarryNSW I was being funny.
Just your comment that your .223 is like a laser. It's the same as any other .223

I am not sure how you get other properties to shoot on but the best way I found decades ago when I was in the same boat was knock on doors. No camo gear, big knives hanging off you sort of stuff. Dress respectable, be polite.

If you are actually trying to do your bit for native animals then the very best advice I can give you is be knowledgeable about the REAL impacts of the pest and the REAL effects what you do to improve native fauna through pest control.

Straight over my head :crazy:

Good tip, thanks.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 19 Jul 2021, 12:28 am

For problem dog's, look for sheep farmers in affected areas. Know what native animals are in the area that would be impacted by foxes and feral cats.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2021, 8:41 am

Sorry Harry I misinterpreted your statement Remembering that pigs cats foxes and feral dogs are already causing a lot of grief in our country , and that you are already shooting them , for now all I can think of if you want to help out, is that you just do more of what you are already doing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Downunder » 19 Jul 2021, 9:17 am

We don’t have recreational shooters on our southern Vic farm or NSW station due to abuse of privileges over the years, same goes for fisho’s. Bad enough the poachers doing us over let alone those who gained permissions.

The best advise I can offer from both a graziers and hunters perspective is to put together a resume, if you’ve hunted on private land before obtain a reference from the owner, the more positive you can inject the better. Treat it like a job, one you really want.

I profile people on their intelligence, aptitude and respect, people who display measure and considered approach’s are quick to earn my ear. As an example, if I was open to approach I’d look more favourably on upon someone who offer to come out prior to learn the lay of the land, the issues, requirements and scope of work.

The fact is not only is your skill set being scrutinised but just as importantly your character is as well.

With worksafe OH&S being what it is (a defence mechanism for imbeciles) you’ll need insurance. As much as I think they’re not a great representive for firearms owners the SSAA has 2 benefits, personal insurance whilst carrying out legal firearms activities and property insurance (on firearms) if you choose to pay the extra, I’m a somewhat begrudgingly a member myself.

You need to treat your hobby as a business, as the land and stock are our business and not a playground.

Someone else eluded to a very important point early on in the thread....leave your mates at home....most of the issues we’ve seen haven’t been with the original point of contact but who they bring with them.

Finally I caught in somewhat of a conundrum with the issues surrounding access, on one hand it’s easy to throw the baby out with the bath water, on the other it’s just as easy to regulate a total ban than a partial. I’m all for supporting the future of recreational hunting it’s just a bitter pill to swallow when you’ve been done over with consistency.

Regards,

Tony
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jul 2021, 9:20 am

Harrynsw wrote:
Hi Blr243
I manage to shoot a couple of foxes when I'm on pig properties with my mates, and the farmers appreciate it. Especially if they're running sheep. Getting on a property isn't a problem.
But I wanted to do more for the native animals and help a farmer through my efforts.

The one big thing you say here straight up will not go in your favor .
"when I'm on pig properties with my mates"

An awful lot of property owners have major problems with "mates",,,, especially when combined with pigs, and pig dogs.
You yourself may be an exception,, but more often than not things go horribly wrong.

The land owner has judgment and control when he gives permission for yourself,,,,, but loses all of that soon as you bring in all your "mates"

I agree 110% with an above comment,, "no camo, no knives hanging off the belt" AND also no firearms.
Once you've gained permission, and front up to do the kob,,,, get the gear out then.

And,,, once in,,,,,,, do the right thing, and be prepared to spend a lot of time, as in, hours doing "the right thing"
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 19 Jul 2021, 10:07 am

animalpest wrote:Wish my .223 was like a laser. You must have a good one :lol:

:lol:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 19 Jul 2021, 12:41 pm

Downunder wrote:We don’t have recreational shooters on our southern Vic farm or NSW station due to abuse of privileges over the years, same goes for fisho’s. Bad enough the poachers doing us over let alone those who gained permissions.

The best advise I can offer from both a graziers and hunters perspective is to put together a resume, if you’ve hunted on private land before obtain a reference from the owner, the more positive you can inject the better. Treat it like a job, one you really want.

I profile people on their intelligence, aptitude and respect, people who display measure and considered approach’s are quick to earn my ear. As an example, if I was open to approach I’d look more favourably on upon someone who offer to come out prior to learn the lay of the land, the issues, requirements and scope of work.

The fact is not only is your skill set being scrutinised but just as importantly your character is as well.

With worksafe OH&S being what it is (a defence mechanism for imbeciles) you’ll need insurance. As much as I think they’re not a great representive for firearms owners the SSAA has 2 benefits, personal insurance whilst carrying out legal firearms activities and property insurance (on firearms) if you choose to pay the extra, I’m a somewhat begrudgingly a member myself.

You need to treat your hobby as a business, as the land and stock are our business and not a playground.

Someone else eluded to a very important point early on in the thread....leave your mates at home....most of the issues we’ve seen haven’t been with the original point of contact but who they bring with them.

Finally I caught in somewhat of a conundrum with the issues surrounding access, on one hand it’s easy to throw the baby out with the bath water, on the other it’s just as easy to regulate a total ban than a partial. I’m all for supporting the future of recreational hunting it’s just a bitter pill to swallow when you’ve been done over with consistency.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks for the amazing and helpful response.
I am a SSAA member and treat every property I go to with the utmost respect, so getting references won't be a problem. Thanks again.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 19 Jul 2021, 12:48 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:
Hi Blr243

The one big thing you say here straight up will not go in your favor .
"when I'm on pig properties with my mates"

An awful lot of property owners have major problems with "mates",,,, especially when combined with pigs, and pig dogs.
You yourself may be an exception,, but more often than not things go horribly wrong.

The land owner has judgment and control when he gives permission for yourself,,,,, but loses all of that soon as you bring in all your "mates"

I agree 110% with an above comment,, "no camo, no knives hanging off the belt" AND also no firearms.
Once you've gained permission, and front up to do the kob,,,, get the gear out then.

And,,, once in,,,,,,, do the right thing, and be prepared to spend a lot of time, as in, hours doing "the right thing"

Yes absolutely do the right thing. But unfortunately the perception of what I am has been understandably misconstrued from the words mates and pigs. Never been one to run around with dogs and knives and long neck in my right hand. Being 42 years old I know enough to behave and be responsible not only whilst hunting, but in all facets of life.

Thanks for the response.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 19 Jul 2021, 7:35 pm

Downunders response says it all....and is as good a response as you will get....
Farmers are sick to death of the riff raff brigade, hence why access is so hard to achieve....
Respect, honesty and trust go hand in hand, and the only way to gain that is to earn it....
Once its earned, then others come easier as word of mouth from said farmer carries a lot of weight on neighboring properties....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 19 Jul 2021, 8:42 pm

brinny wrote:Downunders response says it all....and is as good a response as you will get....
Farmers are sick to death of the riff raff brigade, hence why access is so hard to achieve....
Respect, honesty and trust go hand in hand, and the only way to gain that is to earn it....
Once its earned, then others come easier as word of mouth from said farmer carries a lot of weight on neighboring properties....

Young people these days think they know it all, and respect and manners is in very short supply.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jul 2021, 11:35 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
brinny wrote:Downunders response says it all....and is as good a response as you will get....

Young people these days think they know it all, and respect and manners is in very short supply.

100%
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 20 Jul 2021, 7:49 am

Harrynsw wrote:

Thank you brinny.

@HarryNSW, I try not to generalise but it’s getting more and more difficult as generally young people are disrespectful and lack manners.

I know what the issue is, connectivity and lazy parenting.
The natural progression of anything juvenile to maturity is based on environment and influencing.

The competing interests and agendas of those who want to ultimately have power through control has soiled values, ethics, morals, independence and critical thinking.

I’ll stop there as I could write pages with my thoughts and experiences with young employees.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 20 Jul 2021, 4:29 pm

Downunder wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

Thank you brinny.

@HarryNSW, I try not to generalise but it’s getting more and more difficult as generally young people are disrespectful and lack manners.

I know what the issue is, connectivity and lazy parenting.
The natural progression of anything juvenile to maturity is based on environment and influencing.

The competing interests and agendas of those who want to ultimately have power through control has soiled values, ethics, morals, independence and critical thinking.

I’ll stop there as I could write pages with my thoughts and experiences with young employees.

There's a saying that goes:
Bad times create strong men
Strong men create good times
Good times create weak men
Weak men create bad times

Young people don't know what hardship is. Every things been handed to them, and it's because of the times. I grew up poor and I know what values I need to instill to make them valuable members of society. All I can do is my best.

There's another saying that goes:
If you raise your children, you'll be spoiling your grand kids.
If you spoil your children, you'll be raising your grand kids.

I hope to be doing the first one.
Last edited by Harrynsw on 20 Jul 2021, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 20 Jul 2021, 4:36 pm

you want to raise your grandkids?
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Harrynsw » 20 Jul 2021, 4:55 pm

ZaineB wrote:you want to raise your grandkids?

Nice pick up bud, edited that quick smart
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 20 Jul 2021, 6:23 pm

I would suggest finding out where a lot of foxes give trouble to sheep farmers and then knock on doors a few weeks to a month before lambing starts in that area . Keep trying and don't ever get angry or rude when they say no because they ring the neighbours and your screwed all over the area . There is no point in going around area's that have no real pest problems . There is no point knocking on doors of small holdings . Do your research , once a good area is found , identify the larger farms or stations and then go from there .
You have to be out there to get lucky . One time many moons ago I was driving around in my FE Holden and the knock backs were killing me . I had been on the road for three days and the fatigue was taking over . So one day I was slumped over the steering wheel in disappointment when a ute pulled up beside me and an older guy asked me if I was ok . I said yes thanks for asking and he said what are you doing ? I told him my tragic story . He went silent for a while and then said , " Well son you better follow me back home and you can shoot on my place ". That was the start of a 30 year friendship with access to neighbours properties and he sadly passed away a few years back which broke my heart and I still have permission down through the Son and the Grandchildren if I want . So nothing is going to happen staying at home get out there and circulate and who knows what can happen . Just grit your teeth and drive up to the homestead's and give it a go .
One important thing is 90% of the time your first contact will be with a wife of a cocky so make sure you are very respectful and don't make her feel uncomfortable because if the wife don't like you , your finished .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Harrynsw » 20 Jul 2021, 7:23 pm

JohnV wrote:I would suggest finding out where a lot of foxes give trouble to sheep farmers and then knock on doors a few weeks to a month before lambing starts in that area . Keep trying and don't ever get angry or rude when they say no because they ring the neighbours and your screwed all over the area . There is no point in going around area's that have no real pest problems . There is no point knocking on doors of small holdings . Do your research , once a good area is found , identify the larger farms or stations and then go from there .
You have to be out there to get lucky . One time many moons ago I was driving around in my FE Holden and the knock backs were killing me . I had been on the road for three days and the fatigue was taking over . So one day I was slumped over the steering wheel in disappointment when a ute pulled up beside me and an older guy asked me if I was ok . I said yes thanks for asking and he said what are you doing ? I told him my tragic story . He went silent for a while and then said , " Well son you better follow me back home and you can shoot on my place ". That was the start of a 30 year friendship with access to neighbours properties and he sadly passed away a few years back which broke my heart and I still have permission down through the Son and the Grandchildren if I want . So nothing is going to happen staying at home get out there and circulate and who knows what can happen . Just grit your teeth and drive up to the homestead's and give it a go .
One important thing is 90% of the time your first contact will be with a wife of a cocky so make sure you are very respectful and don't make her feel uncomfortable because if the wife don't like you , your finished .

Some very good advice there. Thank you.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control