Australia Post reference number overload

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Australia Post reference number overload

Post by Darkstar » 15 Jul 2021, 2:53 pm

Hey all, new to the forum so please forgive me if I have inadvertently posted to the wrong section or whatnot.

Submitted my license application via hard copy to the local Australia Post office the other day with all the appropriate documents, and despite getting off to a bit of a shaky start, the staff member managed the process rather well!

I am now working on a PTA, which in the absence of my license, requires that I list the 'Application Case Reference'. Problem is that the Australia Post receipt - which I was told to refer to - actually has three reference numbers, namely:

Unique Reference No
Reference No
EIS Reference.

Which one is actually the Application Reference Number?
Darkstar
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Australia Post reference number overload

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jul 2021, 9:52 pm

Best to contact auspost for that answer. You don’t want an incorrect pta goin on
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by str8shutr » 17 Jul 2021, 11:16 pm

Agree with Blr243 regarding the importance of quoting reference numbers accurately to avoid bureaucratic delay.

FWIW, my application was submitted in May electronically via the web portal. The Case Reference number is 8 digits long and starts with "16".

All the best.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 18 Jul 2021, 2:19 am

My A/B application case reference number was 8 digits long but that was before Australia Post were involved so somebody else will have to comment about their number under the new system.

Are the three that you have of similar format and length?
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by safeshot » 18 Jul 2021, 10:04 pm

This is off topic some, but, I have the greatest sympathy for Oz post employees. Once a post office was just that. Now they have to sell phones, appliances books and whatever else.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Darkstar » 20 Jul 2021, 11:49 am

rc42 wrote:My A/B application case reference number was 8 digits long but that was before Australia Post were involved so somebody else will have to comment about their number under the new system.

Are the three that you have of similar format and length?

Sadly, no. The three numbers were 13, 11, and 19 digits respectively. I need to go to the local cop-shop this arvo to drop off my Statement of Eligibility application for my H class.. I will also try Australia Post and then, as a last resort, see if I can get through to the WLB.

Thanks for the assistance everyone. I will get to the bottom of this and report back!
Darkstar
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 20 Jul 2021, 3:48 pm

Local cop-shop are unlikely to know what you are talking about and Australia Post just fill out and submit the forms they are given.
WLB will know but take a long time to respond by email, best to call them as you can confirm that they have received your A/B application and maybe give an estimate of current processing time

With regard to the statement of eligibility, it takes as long to process as an A/B license and either can be used to join a pistol club so you probably won't need it but it's free so no harm done and use whichever comes back first.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Darkstar » 22 Jul 2021, 1:56 pm

Mystery solved

So after speaking to the WLB, I was informed that Australia Post cannot issue the Application Case Reference Number. Despite what Aus Post tell you, the reference numbers that they issue on the receipt are pretty much meaningless.

So, If you choose to lodge a hardcopy of the license application at Australia Post rather that through the WLB on-line portal, you will have to wait around a week, then call the WLB to get the Case Reference Number from them.

My advice? Use the online portal. Hopefully this information will be useful to someone else moving forward.

Thanks all for the assistance and advice!
Darkstar
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws