Handheld gps / mapping

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Handheld gps / mapping

Post by Blr243 » 07 Aug 2021, 9:12 pm

I have always used small compact budget Garmin units. I mark my Ute or quad waypoint , run wild in the scrub on for for a while and then just use the gps to get me back. But I’m goin to cape York on a big block. Mapping might be handy. What is mapping , is it the ability to pay extra to download maps , and is this easier , and shows features to help me decide where I wanna go. Will it show me maps or satellite images? ( like google earth) Will additional mapping display swamps not identifiable by old maps or by standard gps. I’d be super keen if the extra mapping features allowed me to find otherwise unseen swamps or creeks in my search for dingoes and good boars ....someone here is bound to know what I need
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Handheld gps / mapping

Post by disco stu » 07 Aug 2021, 9:19 pm

Have you looked at the thread in the 4wd section talking about gps, maps etc? I think the info on there would be helpful for you
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 07 Aug 2021, 9:24 pm

But just to add-you can do what you want on your phone. Can download topo maps from state agencies for free a lot of the time. Satellite imagery depends if you have phone reception for the day option, but there is info on that thread how to put them into gps unit. You can even geo reference whatever images you want using free app to use in your phone also (done it on android). Not sure of you can get free or cheap software to do it on computer, but I used to do it daily for work using expensive programs
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 08 Aug 2021, 11:24 am

Thanks stu. I had another look at the other topic. I do have a slightly better understanding of it now. My old eyes I think could benefit from a large colour screen. Satellite images not requiring cell phone coverage is important because I’m as far away from Telstra as I’ll ever be.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 08 Aug 2021, 12:05 pm

So you're interested in the phone option? If so do you have iPhone or android? I've only used android, but can try and find the apps I've used for geo referencing and viewing of its any help. Its been a while though
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 08 Aug 2021, 2:59 pm

Not at the moment thanks stu. I already use my phone for google earth images in places like cent Qld ......but for areas up the cape where cell coverage is nil, I’m thinking of a gps unit that is already capable of easily accessing all the maps and satellite imagery , even if I have to pay for it ,,,,,,I might add that I’m only capable of a certain amount of understanding technology and I don’t necessarily know what I’m talking about
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 08 Aug 2021, 8:09 pm

I'm not overly experienced with GPS units, but I find the phone really easy myself. It could be because I'm confident with technology though. Those instructions on that thread for doing it with dedicated gps unit made my eyes roll and head spin, and I used to do that sort of thing for work!
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Ferrisweil » 08 Aug 2021, 8:29 pm

I know what you’re saying BLR. I’m actually looking for something similar myself…
I’ve got a Hema HX1 for 4x4ing a d it works brilliantly, but I am keen on something smaller and portable.
I like the look of the Garmin Rhino with UHF or the Garmin GPSMap66. Looks exactly like what I’m after so you can use satellite imagery to pin point your location
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 08 Aug 2021, 10:26 pm

My experience with this is that if you are looking for stuff, as opposed to knowing where you are, you will need a big screen. So a tablet with Hema maps app for example, is a good option for this. Works without internet coverage, you just need to download maps before you leave home.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Aug 2021, 4:38 am

Guys, I like the sat imagery because when I’m up the cape in a couple of months it might show me a swamp likely to be laden with fat boars only 500 m from my current position ....and if that swamp is not on my paper map then it increases my chances of success ...I do have a iPad tablet so I could do the hema map thing before I leave civilisation , But the property is 35 k by 35 k and I need lots of detailed closeup pics. I can see how I can just access the photos on my iPad without any cell coverage. I may end up taking a couple of different options /systems so I can cover all bases. I just need to win lotto so I can pay for all this
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Aug 2021, 11:15 pm

Hey Russ,
First and foremost though Mate,,,, Have you got yourself a PLB yet ? (very cheap insurance compared to not having one)

Secondly,, I have a Garmin that I bought and got the top of the range model at the time,,,,, (but really only needed the basic model).
If your in the vicinity, drop in and check it out.
If you think it'll help you, you can have it for your Cape trip, cos I'm not planning on needing it in the near future. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Aug 2021, 4:44 am

Great idea about the plb , esp since they are so cheap now , and esp since I’ll b hunting solo. Thanks very much for the gps loan offer. Can u elaborate on the model number please ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 10 Aug 2021, 7:15 am

GPS, compass and 1:50000 paper topo map. learn to use UTM co-ordinates and how to plot these from GPS to map with the compass and vice versa and your golden. A3 paper is more enjoyable to look at than a 1.5" LCD. more reliable too.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Aug 2021, 7:08 pm

I get u mountain man. I used those skills / grid map coordinates once in summer on cape York. I used it to find a water hole when I was in trouble. Would have died of thirst if I did not find that waterhole ......it was so remote that a wild boar came and had a swim with us. He was close to us because he had never seen people before. He looked at us suspiciously and sort of growled at us it was funny to see
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 10 Aug 2021, 8:19 pm

I understand your desire for google earth imagery. It certainly gives valuable vegetation and wetland information not detailed on topo maps. I would printout google earth images of your intended area with a list of co-ordinates from google earth. just be sure your GPS and google earth are using the same datum.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Aug 2021, 9:14 pm

Between 200 000 and 400 000 acres of google earth images , the size of the Place is an issue
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Aug 2021, 6:24 pm

There's no shortage of killer phone apps that don't require reception to work,
I'm loving Hema 4x4 maps in memory maps.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 11 Aug 2021, 9:13 pm

Download backcountry navigator app, i pay for the pro version, then given that you know the area where you will be hunting search the arcGIS worlwide satellite imagery free map to the area you will hunt then select download area for offline map select the area you want save to a new map folder and call it whatever you want you can keep selecting areas until you get all possible destinations covered very simple and free no reception needed , been using this all over australia for years
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 11 Aug 2021, 11:06 pm

What format is the ArcGIS imagery in albat? That sounds handy as I gather it's already georeferenced and will open straight up
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 13 Sep 2021, 7:40 pm

Feedback time .....I ended up buying a Garmin Montana 700. 5 inch colour screen. It requires no annual subscription to download high detail satellite images. Been practicing with it at home now for maybe 3 days. It gives you the option of standard, high or highest detail definition....I have worked out that I can download about 10 sq kilometres on high def And so far I have only tried 5 sq kilometres on highest definition. I was concerned that I would end up with a whole heap of high definition pics but have no idea where they were but the gps automatically layers them over the top of its existing TOPO map and it puts them all in the right spot It shows blank sections that I have missed so I know to just fill them in. It’s a rechargeable unit that seems to last for plenty of time. And when nearly flat it charges quite quickly. These images, and with the use of my drones , and off course back up paper maps will more than likely allow me to scout a centain amount of country to asses it’s suitability before I do the hard yards on foot. Thanks all for the input.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 13 Sep 2021, 9:41 pm

Sounds good. Glad you're happy
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment