The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by AJB » 15 Jan 2021, 1:28 pm

:D :D
Attachments
Screenshot_20210115-142750_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210115-142750_Gallery.jpg (699.25 KiB) Viewed 7519 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ben » 10 May 2021, 7:29 pm

Hey guys. New here. A pic of my last fox under spotlight. I’d managed to drop my 223 putting the scope out of action for the night so had to resort to the Swede to sort him out. And a group shot from a previous trip.
Attachments
F53DF407-8169-4154-B578-3472298CACA6.jpeg
F53DF407-8169-4154-B578-3472298CACA6.jpeg (166.52 KiB) Viewed 7360 times
AFEF5ADF-35B5-4FA7-8E68-00EAC60E6F72.jpeg
AFEF5ADF-35B5-4FA7-8E68-00EAC60E6F72.jpeg (97.67 KiB) Viewed 7360 times
Ben
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 03 Jul 2021, 2:08 pm

Screenshot_20210703-133555_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210703-133555_Gallery.jpg (453.95 KiB) Viewed 6992 times
Screenshot_20210703-133503_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210703-133503_Gallery.jpg (402.14 KiB) Viewed 6992 times
Not sure when I last posted on here,but I got one of these from 10m with my 410 at work,and the other one from 100m with my 22-250 while hunting with my missus,who had to have the skin and the skull.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2021, 3:59 pm

bigpete wrote:
Screenshot_20210703-133555_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210703-133503_Gallery.jpg
Not sure when I last posted on here,but I got one of these from 10m with my 410 at work,and the other one from 100m with my 22-250 while hunting with my missus,who had to have the skin and the skull.

:thumbsup: :clap:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 03 Jul 2021, 4:14 pm

The art of fox whistling during the day is a complex one . Don't sit behind cover like a log because when you look over the log your movement is more obvious and your shape silhouetted . Sit in front of a broken background like a raggedy bush or jumble of logs etc. This breaks up your whole shape and makes small slow movements harder to detect . Also you can move a bit without hitting things and making a noise that way . Most new shooters whistle too much and it can just scare any fox off . What happens is the fox can zero in on the sound very accurately and then knows exactly where to look ( right at you ) for any tell tale sign of danger . You can see when they are homing in on the sound they turn their head from side to side and they move back and forth across the line of advancement towards the sound . Watch the fox and only whistle when he has his head down or is moving not when he is looking in your direction . This tantalizes them and denies them a good fix on the sounds location so they usually come in closer .
As a fox gets closer lower the volume intensity of the whistle to a few whimpers that also seems to make it harder for them to home in . If they turn away and look like leaving then give out a louder shriek and a few whimpers sometimes it gets them back sometimes not . All this helps keep the fox interested and moving into shooting range and hopefully a clear area . Don't wait too long to shoot as the closer they get the more likely they will spot you . Be alert for the fox that comes from the sides or even from behind you and only move very slowly as fast movements are very easy to see . Try and time any needed gun movement to shooting position with the fox looking down or away or on the side ways move as much as possible . Keep the whistle in your mouth and both hands on the gun and be in shooting position or near shooting position earlier rather than later . To minimize the movement required just as you are aiming to fire . Wearing a hat that breaks up the shape of the head and Covering the face with a camo veil is a good idea as a white face stands out . Foxes come to the whistle more readily in late winter when food is scarce . Right about now until before spring .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Mick460 » 03 Jul 2021, 4:53 pm

20210703_162146.jpg
20210703_162146.jpg (187.83 KiB) Viewed 6980 times
Now me, well I just use my $2 button whistle and over they come, hit em on the head and get a perfect pelt. Actually this was a couple of weeks ago in the middle of nowhere so she can't have been domesticated or really ever seen other humans, perfectly healthy and I'll admit it, I didn't have the heart to nail it, just getting old and soft I guess.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 03 Jul 2021, 5:14 pm

JohnV wrote:The art of fox whistling during the day is a complex one . Don't sit behind cover like a log because when you look over the log your movement is more obvious and your shape silhouetted . Sit in front of a broken background like a raggedy bush or jumble of logs etc. This breaks up your whole shape and makes small slow movements harder to detect . Also you can move a bit without hitting things and making a noise that way . Most new shooters whistle too much and it can just scare any fox off . What happens is the fox can zero in on the sound very accurately and then knows exactly where to look ( right at you ) for any tell tale sign of danger . You can see when they are homing in on the sound they turn their head from side to side and they move back and forth across the line of advancement towards the sound . Watch the fox and only whistle when he has his head down or is moving not when he is looking in your direction . This tantalizes them and denies them a good fix on the sounds location so they usually come in closer .
As a fox gets closer lower the volume intensity of the whistle to a few whimpers that also seems to make it harder for them to home in . If they turn away and look like leaving then give out a louder shriek and a few whimpers sometimes it gets them back sometimes not . All this helps keep the fox interested and moving into shooting range and hopefully a clear area . Don't wait too long to shoot as the closer they get the more likely they will spot you . Be alert for the fox that comes from the sides or even from behind you and only move very slowly as fast movements are very easy to see . Try and time any needed gun movement to shooting position with the fox looking down or away or on the side ways move as much as possible . Keep the whistle in your mouth and both hands on the gun and be in shooting position or near shooting position earlier rather than later . To minimize the movement required just as you are aiming to fire . Wearing a hat that breaks up the shape of the head and Covering the face with a camo veil is a good idea as a white face stands out . Foxes come to the whistle more readily in late winter when food is scarce . Right about now until before spring .

I agree with most of that,from a bowhunting perspective,is its a good idea to try to have something roughly 20 yards out that they have to travel through that obscures their vision for a moment,like a rushes or a fold in the land.

Also,a feather on a stick or something like that out front is very useful for distracting/attracting them
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 03 Jul 2021, 7:26 pm

bigpete wrote:
JohnV wrote:The art of fox whistling during the day is a complex one . Don't sit behind cover like a log because when you look over the log your movement is more obvious and your shape silhouetted . Sit in front of a broken background like a raggedy bush or jumble of logs etc. This breaks up your whole shape and makes small slow movements harder to detect . Also you can move a bit without hitting things and making a noise that way . Most new shooters whistle too much and it can just scare any fox off . What happens is the fox can zero in on the sound very accurately and then knows exactly where to look ( right at you ) for any tell tale sign of danger . You can see when they are homing in on the sound they turn their head from side to side and they move back and forth across the line of advancement towards the sound . Watch the fox and only whistle when he has his head down or is moving not when he is looking in your direction . This tantalizes them and denies them a good fix on the sounds location so they usually come in closer .
As a fox gets closer lower the volume intensity of the whistle to a few whimpers that also seems to make it harder for them to home in . If they turn away and look like leaving then give out a louder shriek and a few whimpers sometimes it gets them back sometimes not . All this helps keep the fox interested and moving into shooting range and hopefully a clear area . Don't wait too long to shoot as the closer they get the more likely they will spot you . Be alert for the fox that comes from the sides or even from behind you and only move very slowly as fast movements are very easy to see . Try and time any needed gun movement to shooting position with the fox looking down or away or on the side ways move as much as possible .
Keep the whistle in your mouth and both hands on the gun and be in shooting position or near shooting position earlier rather than later . To minimize the movement required just as you are aiming to fire . Wearing a hat that breaks up the shape of the head and Covering the face with a camo veil is a good idea as a white face stands out . Foxes come to the whistle more readily in late winter when food is scarce . Right about now until before spring .

I agree with most of that,from a bowhunting perspective,is its a good idea to try to have something roughly 20 yards out that they have to travel through that obscures their vision for a moment,like a rushes or a fold in the land.

Also,a feather on a stick or something like that out front is very useful for distracting/attracting them

I will drink to that a bit of dead ground does help sometimes as long as the fox does not use it to scout around you to get your scent and something to distract them has proven useful by the use of those electronic lures that do the same thing .
The younger ones are more unpredictable .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Skinna » 04 Jul 2021, 11:37 am

How long have you been hunting & whistling foxes for mate ?

Most of what you say is correct, but them coming to the whistle more readily in late winter is for the most part, just not the case at all.
That is when they are weaning their young, & they are notoriously harder to get to come to the whistle & are considerably more flighty during this time--this is the case with most animals, that they are the most cautious when they are weaning their young--its pretty much an un-written but mandatory requirement for survival.

They are currently partnering up & bedding down to procreate, & from that time through to early/mid spring (depending on the season), getting them to respond to a whistle with anything other than a disappearing act or sitting back at 300 plus yards behind a bush is considerably less as compared to other times of the year.

They come to the whistle the easiest when they are pups to young adults. And the adults come to the whistle easiest in late summer through to bedding down for the winter, not IN winter--and its in late summer when their food source is actually at its scarcest--after the harsh summer has has its effect on the wildlife & localised ecosystem & populations of their widely chosen protein sources are at their scarcest.

Just my experience anyway, & yes ive tipped a couple over.
Cheers
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2021, 11:56 am

Agree. Tough whistling them in the winter. Just look at my 223, very clean. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 04 Jul 2021, 11:58 am

Mick460 wrote:
20210703_162146.jpg
Now me, well I just use my $2 button whistle and over they come, hit em on the head and get a perfect pelt. Actually this was a couple of weeks ago[b] in the middle of nowhere[/b] so she can't have been domesticated or really ever seen other humans, perfectly healthy and I'll admit it, I didn't have the heart to nail it, just getting old and soft I guess.

Hey mate, no intention to offend...but i cant help to be dubious about your claim of a wild un-tamed fox coming up to eat out of your hand.

Thats not to say it would never happen, but i have to say, your picture of what appears to be a gravel/blue metal car park isnt exactly the terrain ive often seen "in the middle of nowhere"...
& i say a carpark, because if it were an old unused area not frequented by any kind of traffic for so long, it can now be classed as "the middle of nowhere", im sure there would be atleast ONE weed in that picture.

The ones living in the dunes along the coast of Adelaide come pretty close--ive had them within 2 metres of me at North Haven, & that was without food--but out in the sticks...yea...naaah...dunno about that...

& if you are so skillful with the button whistle so as to have them come right up to you like this you find it so easy to kill them with a knock on the head, then you should skip the border to Vic where they have a bounty mate--you'd make a killing... :lol: pun intended :lol:
Not to mention make some coin running classes for people to save them all those thousands of dollars on thermal equipment.

Sorry bloke, but your post just comes across as if this is so easy to do--mate if foxes were that stupid to so as to easily come to the feet of a human in broad daylight from the shriek of a button whistle, then they would simply not have evolved to the clever & cunning creature they are...& to beat them to death with a stick for an undamaged fur---sheesh--anyone would still be using a 22 with sub HP's because you dont see the hole when looking from the pretty side of the pelt anyway.

Im sure in this modern age of mobile phones, you'd have lots of footage too, id be keen to see it to see just how easy it is for you.

Cheers
:)
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 04 Jul 2021, 3:09 pm

Skinna wrote:

How long have you been hunting & whistling foxes for mate ?

Most of what you say is correct, but them coming to the whistle more readily in late winter is for the most part, just not the case at all.
That is when they are weaning their young, & they are notoriously harder to get to come to the whistle & are considerably more flighty during this time--this is the case with most animals, that they are the most cautious when they are weaning their young--its pretty much an un-written but mandatory requirement for survival.

They are currently partnering up & bedding down to procreate, & from that time through to early/mid spring (depending on the season), getting them to respond to a whistle with anything other than a disappearing act or sitting back at 300 plus yards behind a bush is considerably less as compared to other times of the year.

They come to the whistle the easiest when they are pups to young adults. And the adults come to the whistle easiest in late summer through to bedding down for the winter, not IN winter--and its in late summer when their food source is actually at its scarcest--after the harsh summer has has its effect on the wildlife & localised ecosystem & populations of their widely chosen protein sources are at their scarcest.

Just my experience anyway, & yes ive tipped a couple over.
Cheers

I don't agree with you in NSW central West . In my experience the foxes are quite hungry during late winter as the food source is low and the female depleted . A female will jump at the chance to bring home a rabbit for kits. I always got good results in late winter and at that time the pelts are also better . In Spring and Summer there is way more rodents , insects and lizards etc. In dry times there could be a dearth in late Summer in some places but it's too hot to hunt anyway and the pelts are bad . Foxes will come to the whistle anytime to some degree so it's hard to say who got the best results how and when and in what conditions .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Mick460 » 04 Jul 2021, 4:56 pm

Skinna wrote:
Mick460 wrote:
20210703_162146.jpg
Now me, well I just use my $2 button whistle and over they come, hit em on the head and get a perfect pelt. Actually this was a couple of weeks ago[b] in the middle of nowhere[/b] so she can't have been domesticated or really ever seen other humans, perfectly healthy and I'll admit it, I didn't have the heart to nail it, just getting old and soft I guess.

Hey mate, no intention to offend...but i cant help to be dubious about your claim of a wild un-tamed fox coming up to eat out of your hand.

Thats not to say it would never happen, but i have to say, your picture of what appears to be a gravel/blue metal car park isnt exactly the terrain ive often seen "in the middle of nowhere"...
& i say a carpark, because if it were an old unused area not frequented by any kind of traffic for so long, it can now be classed as "the middle of nowhere", im sure there would be atleast ONE weed in that picture.

The ones living in the dunes along the coast of Adelaide come pretty close--ive had them within 2 metres of me at North Haven, & that was without food--but out in the sticks...yea...naaah...dunno about that...

& if you are so skillful with the button whistle so as to have them come right up to you like this you find it so easy to kill them with a knock on the head, then you should skip the border to Vic where they have a bounty mate--you'd make a killing... :lol: pun intended :lol:
Not to mention make some coin running classes for people to save them all those thousands of dollars on thermal equipment.

Sorry bloke, but your post just comes across as if this is so easy to do--mate if foxes were that stupid to so as to easily come to the feet of a human in broad daylight from the shriek of a button whistle, then they would simply not have evolved to the clever & cunning creature they are...& to beat them to death with a stick for an undamaged fur---sheesh--anyone would still be using a 22 with sub HP's because you dont see the hole when looking from the pretty side of the pelt anyway.

Im sure in this modern age of mobile phones, you'd have lots of footage too, id be keen to see it to see just how easy it is for you.

Cheers

No offence taken, that's my driveway. When I say middle of nowhere I'm 40km from a town that has 13,000 people,I have never ever had anything like that occur in my hunting life, she came up, smelled my finger and just hung around for a half hour or so and then disappeared, I tried calling it up again for the next couple of weeks but never saw it again. The only answer I could come up with is there has been a ridiculous amount of tourists here since Christmas, the likes of which we have never seen and a lot either don't want to pay for a caravan park orsimply can't get a booking so they set up shop for a while, most parking bays are like this for a 400km stretch, I assume it would be like the Fraser Island dingoes getting used to being fed by tourists.
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Mick460 » 04 Jul 2021, 5:02 pm

Skinna wrote:
Mick460 wrote:
20210703_162146.jpg

Oh and I was speaking tounge in cheek, I am not that good at calling foxes and only do it if I'm bored, I don't particularly like killing animals these days unless it's for the table, if they're killing my animals then I will shoot cats, dogs and foxes but it's not really an issue where I am.

Cheers
Mick460
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 10 Jul 2021, 2:02 pm

Well I called 3 in this morning but only got this one big bugger
Screenshot_20210710-133007_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210710-133007_Gallery.jpg (697.28 KiB) Viewed 6898 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Jul 2021, 2:24 pm

Skinna wrote:
Mick460 wrote:
20210703_162146.jpg

I wouldn't be too hasty about having your doubts,,,,,

Did you ever see the video where a bloke was whistling for foxes using (Ithink it was a "Silva" ) and his son was standing off to one side ?
When the fox came in flat out,,, and jumped straight into the guys chest.
The son managed to get it all on video very clearly.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 10 Jul 2021, 2:36 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Skinna wrote:
Mick460 wrote:
20210703_162146.jpg

I wouldn't be too hasty about having your doubts,,,,,

Did you ever see the video where a bloke was whistling for foxes using (Ithink it was a "Silva" ) and his son was standing off to one side ?
When the fox came in flat out,,, and jumped straight into the guys chest.
The son managed to get it all on video very clearly.

I've seen that a few times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2021, 2:41 pm

Twice now I've had them only about 1 or 2 meters.
Not fukin lately though. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2021, 2:41 pm

bigpete wrote:Well I called 3 in this morning but only got this one big bugger
Screenshot_20210710-133007_Gallery.jpg

Well done. I'll probably have another crack Monday.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jul 2021, 10:01 pm

Mick460 wrote:
20210703_162146.jpg
Now me, well I just use my $2 button whistle and over they come, hit em on the head and get a perfect pelt. Actually this was a couple of weeks ago in the middle of nowhere so she can't have been domesticated or really ever seen other humans, perfectly healthy and I'll admit it, I didn't have the heart to nail it, just getting old and soft I guess.

Awesome
We had one at work that would get really close but it would spook easily, our cleaner could call it in with her sweet little voice "foxy.... foxy" :lol:
One night it came right up to a workmate and sniffed his leg, he reached down and off it went.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by NTSOG » 16 Jul 2021, 12:14 pm

G'day,

Here's last night's randy and somewhat chubby contributor: I watched him and his equally randy girlfriend playing hopscotch way out in the paddock with no chance I could sneak closer without being spotted. Finally I took the shot at 214 yards as he prepared himself to leap 'on board' - actually she kept dropping in front of him so no real leaping was required - she was definitely a hussy. Rifle was my old Anschutz in .222 Rem with an ATN 4K NV scope.

The vixen took off, but actually came back after 20 minutes to sniff him. Unfortunately I was too slow to set up for a shot.

Jim
Attachments
IMG_1956 (2).JPG
IMG_1956 (2).JPG (695.42 KiB) Viewed 6809 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 19 Jul 2021, 11:01 am

A prem calf kicked me into gear last night, early opener with 2 on the board and sighted serval young’ s at range tare arse’n around.
They’re up and about down here.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 09 Aug 2021, 9:07 pm

How’s everyone else in SE Aus fox’n going?
I thought it was going to be busy when I easily took 2 when we started calving a few weeks ago but it’s just about on idle now, I took a 3rd tonight but that was it after a couple of hours.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 10 Aug 2021, 7:19 am

G'day,

I did get a mangy old vixen three nights ago, but there're not many around. At least I'm not seeing them when out in the paddocks and I'm not getting any coming to my bait stations to have their photos taken by my trail cameras.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 10 Aug 2021, 8:07 am

Mick460 wrote:
20210703_162146.jpg

Nice one Mick how could you dispatch an animal with those cute puppy dog eyes.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bluehorse » 11 Aug 2021, 11:56 am

Daddybang wrote:
Stix wrote:
Daddybang wrote:I think this thread should be shut down!!!!

Only because I don't have foxes up my way and I get bloody jealous!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Well come on down...ill take you out...ive got another property in the south east to get to so you'd be welcome company cos ill have to go by myself...!

If I ever get a chance to get down your way stix I'll take ya up on that!!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

FOXES everywhere now , Urban foxes too . I had one visit me adjacent to chookpen at 7.30 am one day , Brer fox was just taking his time but I am law abiding citizen and bythe time i had unlocked rifle ,ammo, magazine , etc then it had disspapeared . No wonder the country is over run by feral vermin . Gun laws just do not work wellexcept for city yuppies and woud be greenies . I have sufficient tuned rifles to handle foxes and other vermin but leaving the rifle ready to go in the corner always will lose me my licences?? if I get inspected ?? Bloody feral dogs got my chooks too. some time back . Having guns in safe does not help me fix problem . Hahahha . Where is the sense of gun laws for rural properties over 50 acres ??
bluehorse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by NTSOG » 11 Aug 2021, 2:29 pm

G'day bluehorse,

In which state do you live? As for 'feral vermin' I don't think the PETA/vegan/green mobs like being called that though I believe that's the best descriptor for them. As for guns being in the safe, one or other of my rifles might be found out of the safe during the day if I'm around the house, but light-fingered thieves aren't too common around where we are out in the sticks and the Chinese virus has reduced traffic even further.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2021, 2:55 pm

bluehorse wrote:
FOXES everywhere now , Urban foxes too . I had one visit me adjacent to chookpen at 7.30 am one day , Brer fox was just taking his time but I am law abiding citizen and bythe time i had unlocked rifle ,ammo, magazine , etc then it had disspapeared . No wonder the country is over run by feral vermin . Gun laws just do not work wellexcept for city yuppies and woud be greenies . I have sufficient tuned rifles to handle foxes and other vermin but leaving the rifle ready to go in the corner always will lose me my licences?? if I get inspected ?? Bloody feral dogs got my chooks too. some time back . Having guns in safe does not help me fix problem . Hahahha . Where is the sense of gun laws for rural properties over 50 acres ??

I don't personally have an issue to lock up firearms. Seems to make sense especially if there are kids about. But then I don't live on a farm. (Suburbs)

But,
Yeh, I've often wondered how cokies get on. Seems to me there needs to be some sort of exemption for cockies. Maybe ammo in pocket and a trigger lock. Something like that.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 24 Aug 2021, 2:26 pm

This was sent to my Mrs by a work colleague, her husband met with it after it was killing lambs in the north.
I don’t know him and I’m not sure whether he’s on here or not.
I’ve been relocating fox’s for 40 years and can honestly say I’m not sure Ive ever seen one equal or bigger.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JHB » 24 Aug 2021, 3:34 pm

Surely that's a knee high fence?????
JHB
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

PreviousNext