Anyone getting into this new calibre?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Anyone getting into this new calibre?

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Aug 2021, 10:48 pm

From Browning I believe...the 6.8 western.
It's sends 175 grain pills roughly 2850fps.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210811-224144_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210811-224144_Chrome.jpg (72.94 KiB) Viewed 9074 times
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Anyone getting into this new calibre?

Post by deye243 » 12 Aug 2021, 3:01 am

Just yet another ho-hum Calibre that will be impossible to get brass for in three or four years I'll stick the 7mm REM Mag and 300 WIN MAG and 260 REM covers the lot for where I live
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 12 Aug 2021, 4:44 am

deye243 wrote:Just yet another ho-hum Calibre that will be impossible to get brass for in three or four years I'll stick the 7mm REM Mag and 300 WIN MAG and 260 REM covers the lot for where I live

Yeah, that’s capitalism. Invent new products just to sell something when the old products work just fine.
In that caliber area I have a 270 win that works just fine. Anyone remember the Winchester short magnums? Brass for them isn’t that easy to find at times

I don’t want to rain on your parade harrynsw, but I am a little sceptical of the firearms industry at times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 12 Aug 2021, 7:01 am

deye243 wrote:Just yet another ho-hum Calibre that will be impossible to get brass for in three or four years I'll stick the 7mm REM Mag and 300 WIN MAG and 260 REM covers the lot for where I live

But what if everyone had of said that when those three calibers came out?
You'd be stuck with the old 303 and 303/270 :sarcasm:
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Aug 2021, 7:28 am

bigrich wrote:

Yeah, that’s capitalism. Invent new products just to sell something when the old products work just fine.
In that caliber area I have a 270 win that works just fine. Anyone remember the Winchester short magnums? Brass for them isn’t that easy to find at times

I don’t want to rain on your parade harrynsw, but I am a little sceptical of the firearms industry at times

Yep, agree
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 12 Aug 2021, 7:49 am

How many different brands and varieties of beer are there in the world?
They are all made from much the same ingredients.
They are all identifiable by their similar taste.
They all have much the same effect (except for the proviso that more of some is needed or desired compared to others).
Yet some people will "die in a ditch" praising one beer while criticising another.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 12 Aug 2021, 8:03 am

No
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 12 Aug 2021, 8:24 am

Not for me. I will stick with what I have and what works for me.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Aug 2021, 9:21 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:

Nothing wrong with 303-270 or 303-25 for that matter.
At the time they were developed things were different, you weren’t allowed to own a rifle in a “military”caliber , and imported rifles were expensive. The 303 hybrids were a good cheap way to get a sporting rifle
With regards to this new modern caliber, it won’t do much that existing calibers won’t do . It’s got me why 7x57 isn’t still around more ....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bello » 12 Aug 2021, 9:31 am

Hi Mate
I'm trying to de-clutter my safe, :crazy:
I could just imagine what my wife will chase me around the house with if i mentioned a new calibre. :lol:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 12 Aug 2021, 9:32 am

Btw,its not a particularly new calibre....new cartridge maybe
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 12 Aug 2021, 9:38 am

bigrich wrote " It’s got me why 7x57 isn’t still around more ...."

I gather you mean commonly available in commercial rifles? :unknown:
Factory ammo, or cases and components are plentiful, if you want a rifle in 7 x 57, just get a barrel made.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Aug 2021, 11:45 am

Gamerancher wrote:bigrich wrote " It’s got me why 7x57 isn’t still around more ...."

Factory ammo, or cases and components are plentiful, if you want a rifle in 7 x 57, just get a barrel made.

I meant chambered in new rifles. I read something a little while ago , I think it was to do with “rifle shooter” magazine. The writer compared the ballistics of the 6.5 CM to the 7x57 in both long range accuracy and hunting. The old 7x57 came out in front. If folks want to indulge in a new caliber/round, all good. I’m just sceptical the firearms industry is just reinventing stuff for sales.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Aug 2021, 11:48 am

straightshooter wrote:How many different brands and varieties of beer are there in the world?
They are all made from much the same ingredients.
They are all identifiable by their similar taste.
They all have much the same effect (except for the proviso that more of some is needed or desired compared to others).
Yet some people will "die in a ditch" praising one beer while criticising another.

Now don’t you bring beer into this discussion, ALL beer is sacred :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 12 Aug 2021, 3:36 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:

No not really the old Magnums were a true improvement on formance of the standard just look at the difference between a 3006 and a 300 WIN MAG same can be said for a 7x57 and a 7mm REM mag all these new short action ultra Magnums cannot do anything that is not already being done at almost half the cost
Just try and buy rem saum and nosler brass .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 12 Aug 2021, 4:11 pm

deye243 wrote:
Kelsey Cooter wrote:

No not really the old Magnums were a true improvement on formance of the standard just look at the difference between a 3006 and a 300 WIN MAG same can be said for a 7x57 and a 7mm REM mag all these new short action ultra Magnums cannot do anything that is not already being done at almost half the cost
Just try and buy rem saum and nosler brass .

It’s probably not to big a deal to get brass for the “trendy” new rounds in the USA . In Australia the supply of brass and components is a consideration to getting into some rounds.
That’s one of the great things about hybrid rounds based on common brass . Very easy to make 358win brass off giveaway 308 brass. Or 338 fed , 7-08 for that mater . I won’t even get into the number of different variations on the 30-06 case . From what I understand the 6.8 round is based on the short magnum case which isn’t that easy to get hold of at times. If someone is happy to go through the effort to persist with something that’s a bit left field, good on them. I like to keep things simple ....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2021, 5:06 pm

.277" bullets are interesting as they come between the excellent ballistics of 6.5mm and 7mm.
But, being long-action, the .270Win is of zero interest to me. The lack of bullet choice also sucks for somebody wanting to experiment with it.
I would only be reloading for it so ammo availability is not a big deal. WSM brass can usually be found even if you have to get it from overseas, but even locally it's around $3 apiece.
If there were a much wider range of .277" bullets I could see some value to it, but not enough to warrant getting a rifle chambered for it. I'd probably be more inclined to build a .270/.308 wildcat if I desperately wanted to experiment with .277".
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2021, 5:13 pm

I just noticed Rebels have some 6.8 SPC brass in stock. This is not the same as 6.8 Western though is it?
SPC is a .30Rem case, Western is a WSM case?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 12 Aug 2021, 5:33 pm

bigrich wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:bigrich wrote " It’s got me why 7x57 isn’t still around more ...."

I meant chambered in new rifles. I read something a little while ago , I think it was to do with “rifle shooter” magazine. The writer compared the ballistics of the 6.5 CM to the 7x57 in both long range accuracy and hunting. The old 7x57 came out in front. If folks want to indulge in a new caliber/round, all good. I’m just sceptical the firearms industry is just reinventing stuff for sales.

Couldn't agree more.
Or the ones that are just to get round new US legislation
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Aug 2021, 6:07 pm

bigrich wrote:

Yep, there are truck loads of cartridges out there. If you can't find one your happy with your bloody fussy. New ones are just exercises in marketing.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 12 Aug 2021, 6:37 pm

My 2c.....There’s merit in developing new cartridges to accomodate changes in modern projectiles, many manufactures of remnant main stream cartridges still don’t build mags and mag wells to accommodate cartridges loaded with high BC projectiles.
Some folks don’t like the threat to the status quo and are somewhat possessive about history, fact is generally humans can’t process change well and it’s especially evident as one gets older. Personally I have to continually fight the urge to flip off every piece of progress...... ;) :D

I haven’t looked into the 6.8 Western so I’m not around the selling points, the hard data and or any gap or vision of longevity in the market place. I’d suggest if you’re looking at any of the modern chamberings then begin to research hard, look at the facts and what if any benefit they’ll provide in your shooting situations and solutions.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 12 Aug 2021, 7:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:.277" bullets are interesting as they come between the excellent ballistics of 6.5mm and 7mm.
But, being long-action, the .270Win is of zero interest to me. The lack of bullet choice also sucks for somebody wanting to experiment with it.
I would only be reloading for it so ammo availability is not a big deal. WSM brass can usually be found even if you have to get it from overseas, but even locally it's around $3 apiece.
If there were a much wider range of .277" bullets I could see some value to it, but not enough to warrant getting a rifle chambered for it. I'd probably be more inclined to build a .270/.308 wildcat if I desperately wanted to experiment with .277".

Why bother, the 270win is already vastly better than the 308 for its intended purpose, mine shoots clover leaf groups all day and its a cheap Remington, at 130gn it has plenty of accuracy to boot and the BC isnt as low as the naysayers keep making it sound. it in fact does sit between 6.5 and 7mm and it shows, its wonderfully accurate and carries good energy and sectional density for a sub 30cal round. there are projectiles from 90gn to 180gn and unlike short action cartridges it has the powder capacity to push the heavy pills at a respectable speed. projies come in the classics like FMJ, Soft point, Hollow point, as well as in ballistic tip and monolithic rounds from pretty much every manufacturer, I mean barnes, hornady, nosler and so on all make wonderful modern rounds for it, projies come in a variety of flat and boat tails as well as secant and tangent ogives. I really dont see a downside to it to be honest.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by boingk » 12 Aug 2021, 10:02 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Or the ones that are just to get round new US legislation

Hey, you leave my 350 Legend out of this!

:mrgreen:
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Noisydad » 12 Aug 2021, 11:12 pm

Jeez there’s still a hundred and eleventeen calibers from the 1800s I don’t own yet - never mind new fangled fads!
Last edited by Noisydad on 13 Aug 2021, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 13 Aug 2021, 4:42 am

bladeracer wrote:.277" bullets are interesting as they come between the excellent ballistics of 6.5mm and 7mm.

Yeah blade, I agree. 277 is out in the cold for high BC projectiles. That’s why they’ve invented this new round according to wikapedia. The case will take long projectiles apparently. As a hunting round I think 270 win is the bees knees.
Funny you should mention a 308-270 wildcat. I was thinking the same thing recently. I found making 358 brass from 308 really easy, and thought about making my own custom rifle on 270 caliber. The main reason is the inexhaustible supply of free 308 brass. But 270 Winchester is that well catered for I probably won’t bother
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Aug 2021, 6:28 am

7mm-08 (since 1958) 308-270
A good example of splitting straws, or is it marketing bigrich? Lol.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 13 Aug 2021, 7:45 am

Oldbloke wrote:7mm-08 (since 1958) 308-270

Yeah 7-08 is a good one. I hadn’t ruled it out, it’s just I already have 270 neck and seating does and projectiles. A lot of what is discussed in ballistics is splitting hairs at times. It’s just that I think the firearms industry is inventing more hairs........ :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Aug 2021, 10:10 am

bigrich wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:7mm-08 (since 1958) 308-270

Yeah 7-08 is a good one. I hadn’t ruled it out, it’s just I already have 270 neck and seating does and projectiles. A lot of what is discussed in ballistics is splitting hairs at times. It’s just that I think the firearms industry is inventing more hairs........ :D

:D :D :D
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Aug 2021, 3:37 pm

Pubic or under arm. :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2021, 3:45 pm

ZaineB wrote:Why bother, the 270win is already vastly better than the 308 for its intended purpose, mine shoots clover leaf groups all day and its a cheap Remington, at 130gn it has plenty of accuracy to boot and the BC isnt as low as the naysayers keep making it sound. it in fact does sit between 6.5 and 7mm and it shows, its wonderfully accurate and carries good energy and sectional density for a sub 30cal round. there are projectiles from 90gn to 180gn and unlike short action cartridges it has the powder capacity to push the heavy pills at a respectable speed. projies come in the classics like FMJ, Soft point, Hollow point, as well as in ballistic tip and monolithic rounds from pretty much every manufacturer, I mean barnes, hornady, nosler and so on all make wonderful modern rounds for it, projies come in a variety of flat and boat tails as well as secant and tangent ogives. I really dont see a downside to it to be honest.

I'm the opposite, .270Win has no upside for me :-)
Longer, heavier, less-rigid receiver, bolt, magazine, stock, bottom metal, longer bolt throw, longer, heavier ammunition.
The only good thing about .270 is the bullet diameter, but there is no reason to use it in a modern hunting rifle when there are so many options in short-actions. I have a lot more long-actions than short actions, but not in a modern rifle, that would be silly.

I'll stick with the 6.5mm and 7mm cartridges, but a .270/.308 has many advantages, not least of which is the abundance of very cheap, readily available .308 brass. Why would I choose to pay $3+ per case for WSM brass when I can very likely get .308 brass for free? They can be body-sized in a .308 die, and .270Win dies can be shrtened to neck-size them and seat bullets. Or you could probably make a neck insert for a .308 die.

6.5mm offers bullets from 90gn to 170gn, 7mm offers bullets from 78gn to 212gn.
Last edited by bladeracer on 15 Aug 2021, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics