Long distance ranges close to Brisbane

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Long distance ranges close to Brisbane

Post by dreysi » 21 Aug 2021, 7:13 pm

Hi so after a 5 month wait (yep), I *almost* have my license and PTA. Soon I will be the proud owner of a Tikka CTR and juicy 2-10 scope. Will need a few months to no suck at 200m, but after that I would like to learn how to shoot out to 500m. Does anyone have any range recommendations? I am signed up to Belmont and might change to Ripley as my local as I've heard they are more easy going. Back on topic yeah so keen to slap gongs out to 500 (and then see).

So where might be a good place to start looking?

Thanks in Advance.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Long distance ranges close to Brisbane

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 21 Aug 2021, 7:22 pm

Unfortunately ripley you can only shoot out to 300 belmont will get you out to 500 but as you stated a bit of a pain. Im also looking for similar but to get a little further say 800 max
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 21 Aug 2021, 7:25 pm

Okay so after making the post I actually found this calendar https://ipswichrifle.qldrifle.com/calendar-events/ hoping it's just practice days?

Oh and Millerman has two ranges one is out to 1300 yards (or so) but seems hard to get a hold of people and some helpful chap told me Wattle Grove near Gympie is 400m.

So sort of answered my own question but any other info would be much appreciated.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 21 Aug 2021, 7:31 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Unfortunately ripley you can only shoot out to 300 belmont will get you out to 500 but as you stated a bit of a pain. Im also looking for similar but to get a little further say 800 max

Thanks mate yeah I'm hoping once i get to 500 I can stretch to 800 too. I'll need a new scope mount (perhaps) and maybe scope but as far as I know 308 should lob to 800. So yeah Millmerran is supposed to have 2 ranges, one for 500 and one for 1300 (or so). I'll try to give them a call but no number on Google maps so maybe need to call SSAA somewhere :crazy: Thanks for the confirmation on Ripley and Belmont.
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 21 Aug 2021, 7:40 pm

Yes Wattle grove is 400m. Wendy is the the secretary. Go to their website and it will show you when the range is available. Or it is only I think $250 to book the range out for 3 hours. 8 Benches divided by $250 is rather cheap between a few mates to have your own range for 3 hours if you ask me.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 21 Aug 2021, 8:02 pm

That's a good deal I can think of 4 people now but in the future getting a possy of 8 sounds like an excellent idea
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 21 Aug 2021, 8:22 pm

It does not have to be 8 but 8 is the maximum amount of benches.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 21 Aug 2021, 8:25 pm

:friends: Thanks mate
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 21 Aug 2021, 9:06 pm

SSAA at Belmont have a 500m range but only allow general shooting out to about 200m, longer distances are for specific competitions only. Having said that, you can't put paper targets out that far but there are some metal gongs permanently out at that range so you likely could have a go at them if you have a spotter.

There is a 1000 yard club that uses the main QRA range at Belmont, you could call them and ask what range they shoot out to ;)
https://www.brisbane1000yards.org.au/home
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dreysi » 21 Aug 2021, 9:12 pm

rc42 wrote:SSAA at Belmont have a 500m range but only allow general shooting out to about 200m, longer distances are for specific competitions only. Having said that, you can't put paper targets out that far but there are some metal gongs permanently out at that range so you likely could have a go at them if you have a spotter.

There is a 1000 yard club that uses the main QRA range at Belmont, you could call them and ask what range they shoot out to ;)
https://www.brisbane1000yards.org.au/home

That's very helpful thank you very much sir. :thumbsup:
dreysi
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Biscuits » 08 Nov 2021, 10:37 am

dreysi wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Unfortunately ripley you can only shoot out to 300 belmont will get you out to 500 but as you stated a bit of a pain. Im also looking for similar but to get a little further say 800 max

Thanks mate yeah I'm hoping once i get to 500 I can stretch to 800 too. I'll need a new scope mount (perhaps) and maybe scope but as far as I know 308 should lob to 800.

Hope you have sorted out your long range, range.

FYI a 308 will go further than 800. Match bullets out of most 308s will go subsonic at about 950 metres. Hunting bullets sooner. They should be quite accurate until then, then sort of ok for a bit after that. My 308 with a 20" barrel is quite accurate to about 1000m (in that I can hit a 1.5 or 2 MoA target, most of the time) but accuracy heads south after that. To avoid spending a lot of money on ammo and getting frustrated, once you get to long range (800m+) you need ammo which groups well at 100 and has a low standard deviation (SD) on the muzzle velocity. You need a low SD as at long distance, small changes in muzzle velocity equal big changes in elevation and a miss on your target. You need it to group well at 100 as if it doesn't group well at 100, it won't group well anywhere. You will not see any variation in group size due to muzzle velocity variation at 100m/yards. You can only measure muzzle velocity using a chronograph.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Veetwin » 08 Nov 2021, 1:39 pm

dreysi wrote:

Thanks mate yeah I'm hoping once i get to 500 I can stretch to 800 too. I'll need a new scope mount (perhaps) and maybe scope but as far as I know 308 should lob to 800. So yeah Millmerran is supposed to have 2 ranges, one for 500 and one for 1300 (or so). I'll try to give them a call but no number on Google maps so maybe need to call SSAA somewhere :crazy: Thanks for the confirmation on Ripley and Belmont.

Watch Mark and Sam after work on 308
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Nov 2021, 2:15 pm

Veetwin wrote:
dreysi wrote:

Watch Mark and Sam after work on 308

Yep nothing to with the cartridge, or the velocity, it's all about the bullet.
Use a very-high BC bullet that doesn't fall apart through transition, and just keep lobbing it further and further.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges