WOW. Huge pig

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

WOW. Huge pig

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2021, 4:40 pm

About 40 years ago I was lucky enough to see one about this size in Western NSW. Didn't shoot it though. I assume its legit since it isn't April 1st. Lol

254kgpig01.jpg
254kgpig01.jpg (73.11 KiB) Viewed 4625 times

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/lates ... e%20animal
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: WOW. Huge pig

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Sep 2021, 4:43 pm

FAR........KKKK!
Thought you were having a go until I looked at the article attached.
Biggest I saw was also about 40 Years ago. Hung it in the meathouse and the head was still dragging on the floor but doubt it was this big
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 11 Sep 2021, 5:08 pm

That’s crazy and well fed. Trying to think of what region you’d find that because it dose’nt look far north
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 11 Sep 2021, 5:22 pm

thank you, i now feel justified in owning a 9.3x62 and a 45-70 :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Sep 2021, 5:51 pm

Biggest pig I ever shot went down with a 6 mm vmax ....sell those guns rich u don’t need em ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2021, 6:01 pm

bigrich wrote:thank you, i now feel justified in owning a 9.3x62 and a 45-70 :D

Dreaming.jpeg
Dreaming.jpeg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 4600 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 11 Sep 2021, 6:09 pm

Humongous bit of bacon, there lad. :o
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 11 Sep 2021, 6:24 pm

bigrich wrote:thank you, i now feel justified in owning a 9.3x62 and a 45-70 :D

Damn straight
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Sep 2021, 6:43 pm

womble wrote:That’s crazy and well fed. Trying to think of what region you’d find that because it dose’nt look far north

Too big for up north. This one has a bunch of "Large White" so large body and small tusks.
Head North and the get smaller with bigger tusks.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Sep 2021, 7:59 pm

Who saw the big fellah that was featured in Sporting Shooter a few years back. It was shot with just a .308
Held up by a crane mounted in the tray of a 75 Series Cruiser.
The old ute had a definite lean to it.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2021, 8:01 pm

I remember the pic
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Sep 2021, 1:18 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Who saw the big fellah that was featured in Sporting Shooter a few years back. It was shot with just a .308
Held up by a crane mounted in the tray of a 75 Series Cruiser.
The old ute had a definite lean to it.

Yeah, I saw that. Also saw the rebuttal from the farmer who said it wasn't him in the photo and no such pig had ever been seen on his Station. Pig stories are a lot like fishing stories, IMHO! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bello » 13 Sep 2021, 5:25 am

Hang on
I think I know that pig :shock:
is that pepper....? :lol:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 13 Sep 2021, 7:27 am

No doubt a large pig however a bit of creative photography definitely enhances the perceived size.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 Sep 2021, 8:46 am

JimTom wrote:No doubt a large pig however a bit of creative photography definitely enhances the perceived size.

Yup, that’s what I thought too . Put something next to the pigs snout like a beer bottle for a size comparison.
I mean just about everyone knows how big a stubbie is right..... :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Sep 2021, 3:01 pm

I remember seeing a photo of a dinosaur sized pig in a "boars and boobs" or whatever it's called magazine a few years ago. At first look it was the size of a Brahman bull but then looking closer at the photo, you could see by the the shadow, that the "hunter", who was supposedly sitting just behind it, was actually about 10 foot back from it. :roll:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 13 Sep 2021, 3:24 pm

Gamerancher wrote:I remember seeing a photo of a dinosaur sized pig in a "boars and boobs" or whatever it's called magazine a few years ago. At first look it was the size of a Brahman bull but then looking closer at the photo, you could see by the the shadow, that the "hunter", who was supposedly sitting just behind it, was actually about 10 foot back from it. :roll:

boars and boobs :wtf: where do i find that magazine :D i hope the boobs part isn't refering to sows but........ :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 14 Sep 2021, 9:02 pm

If you go to the story in sportingshooter the photo of the guy lying beside it shows it is a big pig. He mentions wet season so it must be a far way north.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 15 Sep 2021, 6:45 am

bigrich wrote:
JimTom wrote:No doubt a large pig however a bit of creative photography definitely enhances the perceived size.

Yup, that’s what I thought too . Put something next to the pigs snout like a beer bottle for a size comparison.
I mean just about everyone knows how big a stubbie is right..... :D

Would that be a "Darwin Stubbie"? ;)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Sep 2021, 8:02 am

deanp100 wrote:If you go to the story in sportingshooter the photo of the guy lying beside it shows it is a big pig. He mentions wet season so it must be a far way north.

Yeah, and if you look closely at the photos, something just 'aint right. The one with the bow leaning up against the tree makes the bow look like its about 5 foot long in scale to the bloke and then it seems to shrink in the one where he's lying down. Don't know, certainly looks to be a large, fat pig, but like I said, photos seem a bit "off".
Ever heard of "photoshop"?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 15 Sep 2021, 2:18 pm

Yeah, don’t know. He obviously took the lying down photo to put paid the the photo trickery rumours. It’s a big pig but only that guy will know what it weighed. It’s extremely fat, that’s for sure.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Sep 2021, 6:03 pm

A photo of it on the scales would put paid to any doubts. That model bow is 33" axle to axle, using that as a scale in the first pic, the pig is almost 8' long. Then he says he's 6' tall, in the pic lying beside it, it is shorter than him. It is indeed a very fat pig, just looks "amplfied" in the first photo. ( sit back a bit and crouch down )
I've seen photos of bloke holding a trout that looked to be about 20lb. Looked totally legit until I was shown the side-on photo with two blokes holding a pan sized fish held up with a piece of fishing line between them and the bloke who was "holding" the fish about 10' behind it. Well before photoshop was available. It did fool a lot of us.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 15 Sep 2021, 8:55 pm

Gamerancher wrote:A photo of it on the scales would put paid to any doubts. That model bow is 33" axle to axle, using that as a scale in the first pic, the pig is almost 8' long. Then he says he's 6' tall, in the pic lying beside it, it is shorter than him. It is indeed a very fat pig, just looks "amplfied" in the first photo. ( sit back a bit and crouch down )
I've seen photos of bloke holding a trout that looked to be about 20lb. Looked totally legit until I was shown the side-on photo with two blokes holding a pan sized fish held up with a piece of fishing line between them and the bloke who was "holding" the fish about 10' behind it. Well before photoshop was available. It did fool a lot of us.

True, wouldn’t be real hard to snap a pic of the scales.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by northdude » 17 Sep 2021, 6:42 pm

holy s**t that's a cow
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Blr243 » 17 Sep 2021, 8:07 pm

Wild game resources ( pig box mob ). Probably don’t exist anymore. , they would most likely have records of heaviest dressed boxed pig in Australia
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 17 Sep 2021, 8:12 pm

Blr243 wrote:Wild game resources ( pig box mob ). Probably don’t exist anymore. , they would most likely have records of heaviest dressed boxed pig in Australia

True
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control