Texas school shooting

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Texas school shooting

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Oct 2021, 8:14 am

bah! wrote:yeah the freedom to get shot in the street is the best!

In Australia heaven forbid you get shot at you call the police.

In America you take the advise of Tom Sizemore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk5DcZ-rDNI
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 13 Oct 2021, 8:19 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
bah! wrote:yeah the freedom to get shot in the street is the best!

In Australia heaven forbid you get shot at you call the police.

In America you take the advise of Tom Sizemore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk5DcZ-rDNI

Ahh don't you love it when Hollywood make a historical movie and most people can't tell fact from fiction.

Anyhoo America has freedoms..to be shot in your school, while going shopping, while working...or just while out for a stroll...but the have FREEDOM
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bah! » 13 Oct 2021, 8:38 am

Honestly I can't really be sure communism is cancer isn't a parody account anymore.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Oct 2021, 9:15 am

cz515 wrote:
Ahh don't you love it when Hollywood make a historical movie and most people can't tell fact from fiction.

Anyhoo America has freedoms..to be shot in your school, while going shopping, while working...or just while out for a stroll...but the have FREEDOM

At least Americans can do those things. Australia has freedoms to be classed as the most lockdown country in the world. Where police were checking your shopping bags to deem your items essential.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2021, 9:20 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Americans love freedom and Australians don't that's what it all boils down too. In America a small percentage do the wrong thing but everybody realises loosing your freedom over other peoples actions is abhorrent. In Australia a small percentage do the wrong thing and everybody looses their freedom because people are cowards and love the nanny state.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
~Dead American bloke from the 1700s

Bit harsh mate . We’re are totally different society to America. If you don’t like the state of affairs in Australia, you can always get more active in a legal way to try to change things. Aside from that just move to the US instead of making derogatory inflammatory comments on your fellow Australians. This sort of comparison creeps into every topic on this forum at some point. We don’t have a American constitution. We’re British colonies. We have a different set of rules. Deal with it. The topic is about a shooting in a Texas school. Let’s try to be constructive on that point
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Oct 2021, 9:27 am

bigrich wrote:Bit harsh mate . We’re are totally different society to America. If you don’t like the state of affairs in Australia, you can always get more active in a legal way to try to change things. Aside from that just move to the US instead of making derogatory inflammatory comments on your fellow Australians. This sort of comparison creeps into every topic on this forum at some point. We don’t have a American constitution. We’re British colonies. We have a different set of rules. Deal with it. The topic is about a shooting in a Texas school. Let’s try to be constructive on that point

It's harsh mate but it's true and it's not just laws but more of a mindset and a cultural way of thinking . Americans do not punish the majority for the actions of a very minority group. Whilst in Australia and the rest of the former British Empire the Majority always lose freedoms for the actions of a minority group. One criminal does the wrong thing in Australia and everybody gets fingered for it, whilst the American way of thinking is to finger the person who did the wrong thing.

Yes you are correct the topic changed from the original point of the thread.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2021, 12:12 pm

bigrich wrote:Bit harsh mate . We’re are totally different society to America. If you don’t like the state of affairs in Australia, you can always get more active in a legal way to try to change things. Aside from that just move to the US instead of making derogatory inflammatory comments on your fellow Australians. This sort of comparison creeps into every topic on this forum at some point. We don’t have a American constitution. We’re British colonies. We have a different set of rules. Deal with it. The topic is about a shooting in a Texas school. Let’s try to be constructive on that point

It's harsh mate but it's true and it's not just laws but more of a mindset and a cultural way of thinking . Americans do not punish the majority for the actions of a very minority group. Whilst in Australia and the rest of the former British Empire the Majority always lose freedoms for the actions of a minority group. One criminal does the wrong thing in Australia and everybody gets fingered for it, whilst the American way of thinking is to finger the person who did the wrong thing.

Yes you are correct the topic changed from the original point of the thread.

Mate, I’m just sick of the same arguments coming up every time something to do with America comes up , which ultimately result in the topic being locked. Australia is Australia, America is America . Go and lobby your local elected politicians about your concerns and try to get things changed. Oh wait, we don’t have the American constitution and rights cause we’re not in America, so besides defending what rights we still have, unless there’s a major change in popular public opinion, things aren’t going to change in a hurry.
Back on topic, I think the NRA should be more involved in trying to change the mindset of some American community with regards to using firearms to solve problems, and mental health checks for the good of their community
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 13 Oct 2021, 12:46 pm

That's all well and good as long as you are Christian and white.

If you are black its shoot first ask questions later
If you are wanting an abortion, in many states you don't have rights
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by cleger » 13 Oct 2021, 12:59 pm

bigrich wrote:Americans do not punish the majority for the actions of a very minority group.

I don't wish to be harsh myself, but the whole thesis is false. One guy tries to set fire to his shoes, and we all shuffle shoeless through security. One guy poisons some Tylenol/Paracetamol, and we're dealing with impossible seals on our mustard jars decades later. I could go on and on.

We're the same people, and we live the same. Driving on opposite sides and whether to sit at the bar or a table amounts to a bigger difference than guns, which don't loom nearly as large in American imaginations as it may seem.

Re: the NRA getting involved... many of the people doing the shooting in this country have seen it before. It's not their first time, they're the real experts, and they know at least as much about the destructive potential of handguns as any fat bald guy in a khaki vest that the NRA might send.

No easy answers for America, I'm afraid.
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Bugman » 13 Oct 2021, 1:26 pm

womble wrote:My teachers had the strap or the cane.
But they did’nt shoot us if we misbehaved.

No strap, but I was made to stand in the corner by my teacher on a regular basis, so much so, I used to pre empt the possible situation and went and stood in the corner before she came into the classroom. Also glad she didn't have a gun.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2021, 3:32 pm

cleger wrote:
bigrich wrote:Americans do not punish the majority for the actions of a very minority group.

I don't wish to be harsh myself, but the whole thesis is false. One guy tries to set fire to his shoes, and we all shuffle shoeless through security. One guy poisons some Tylenol/Paracetamol, and we're dealing with impossible seals on our mustard jars decades later. I could go on and on.

We're the same people, and we live the same. Driving on opposite sides and whether to sit at the bar or a table amounts to a bigger difference than guns, which don't loom nearly as large in American imaginations as it may seem.

Re: the NRA getting involved... many of the people doing the shooting in this country have seen it before. It's not their first time, they're the real experts, and they know at least as much about the destructive potential of handguns as any fat bald guy in a khaki vest that the NRA might send.

No easy answers for America, I'm afraid.

not nit picking , but i didn't post that . that was CIC . :thumbsup:

i beleive the culture and mind set is different across the USA due to different history events and different ethnic groups involved in the settling of some areas . a fella from texas maybe sees things different to someone from maine , and different again from georga . it's like in the UK the culture and accent is different from wales to yorkshire even though it's not far away . generally your right, we are very similar , but some folks see things a little differently some times :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2021, 3:43 pm

Bugman wrote:
womble wrote:My teachers had the strap or the cane.
But they did’nt shoot us if we misbehaved.

No strap, but I was made to stand in the corner by my teacher on a regular basis, so much so, I used to pre empt the possible situation and went and stood in the corner before she came into the classroom. Also glad she didn't have a gun.

i remember woodridge primary school in logan in the 70's , singing the national anthem at the start of the day and a picture of the queen in all class rooms . my how things have changed . someone might get offended these days , f@cking soft c@cks :twisted:

go team australia ! :clap: :drinks: :clap: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 13 Oct 2021, 6:17 pm

Lol true dat bigrich.... I think we agree to disagree on quite a few things :lol:

CIC comment, America is one of the most litigious society.

BR, you know it truly surprises me, we as a society don't show nationalism. Like a person putting an Australian flag on his house or car is considered a yobo
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2021, 9:07 pm

cz515 wrote:
BR, you know it truly surprises me, we as a society don't show nationalism. Like a person putting an Australian flag on his house or car is considered a yobo

now that's one thing i am big on is old school national pride . these days most woke agenda soft c@cks think your talking about being a right wing white supremasist neo nazi or something of that nature . i grew up in the 70's when folks were proud to be aussie and show it , even at the top . i remember when alan bond and australia 2 won the americas cup , even though the bad loser new york yaught club kept changing the rules. bob hawk had a open bbq at kirrabilly house and famously said "any boss who sacks a employee for a sickie today is a mug !" now that's australia . that's the australia i grew up in before computers, political correctness and meth changed our society. our history with aboriginals has eroded our sense of national pride as well i think . bit of work still needs to be done on both sides i think :(

"up australia youse mugs !" :drinks: :clap: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by womble » 14 Oct 2021, 3:20 am

I see lots of Australian flags in rural areas around me, usually at the front gates.
No you don’t see it in the cities and suburbs much.
But that’s just part of our culture i think. We don’t really brag and show off or big note our nationalistic pride.
It’s real and palpable when we have to rise to any challenge though. When faced with any adversary.
We have a lot of people here who’ve come from far worse places on earth. Nearly all of us really. And that’s a lot of people who want this to be the best place on earth. And make it so.
Indigenous people. We are learning to listen more and acknowledge their story. And we are finding ways to help them feel proud too. It’s often difficult and often disheartening but all we can do is persist.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Oct 2021, 4:39 am

It's about culture, attitude, mental health.

Having easy access (some states) doesn't help.

And it's unique to USA.

Doesn't happen here (very rare) and we have access.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 14 Oct 2021, 7:28 am

womble wrote:I see lots of Australian flags in rural areas around me, usually at the front gates.
No you don’t see it in the cities and suburbs much.
But that’s just part of our culture i think. We don’t really brag and show off or big note our nationalistic pride.
It’s real and palpable when we have to rise to any challenge though. When faced with any adversary.
We have a lot of people here who’ve come from far worse places on earth. Nearly all of us really. And that’s a lot of people who want this to be the best place on earth. And make it so.
Indigenous people. We are learning to listen more and acknowledge their story. And we are finding ways to help them feel proud too. It’s often difficult and often disheartening but all we can do is persist.

A friend had the Aussie flag proudly flying on a small pole in his front garden. Council told him to take it down, because someone complained (complained about exactly what, I don't know). So he moved into his back yard. So far so good.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 14 Oct 2021, 8:53 am

bigrich wrote:
now that's one thing i am big on is old school national pride . these days most woke agenda soft c@cks think your talking about being a right wing white supremasist neo nazi or something of that nature . i grew up in the 70's when folks were proud to be aussie and show it , even at the top . i remember when alan bond and australia 2 won the americas cup , even though the bad loser new york yaught club kept changing the rules. bob hawk had a open bbq at kirrabilly house and famously said "any boss who sacks a employee for a sickie today is a mug !" now that's australia . that's the australia i grew up in before computers, political correctness and meth changed our society. our history with aboriginals has eroded our sense of national pride as well i think . bit of work still needs to be done on both sides i think :(

That's the era I want to bring back mate. :drinks:
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Oct 2021, 9:17 am

bigrich wrote:

That's the era I want to bring back mate. :drinks:

Bring back ? I’m still living it ! :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bah! » 16 Oct 2021, 7:46 pm

Patriotism is merely taking credit for someone else's achievements. In Australia and and the USA both, also overlooking a massacre or two, (ok well a few) usually as well.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 17 Oct 2021, 7:40 am

bah! wrote:Patriotism is merely taking credit for someone else's achievements. In Australia and and the USA both, also overlooking a massacre or two, (ok well a few) usually as well.

so your saying we shouldn't promote national pride :wtf: we should engage "woke" type attitude to everything and highlight all the bad things in our society :unknown: .

being patriotic is showing community spirit and loyalty to your fellow citizens and country whilst remembering the sacrifices of those who built your society and country . your statement cheapens the acheivements of those who came before us , and those who remember and support those achievments
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bah! » 17 Oct 2021, 9:34 am

What, you reckon celebrating Captain Cook* discovering** Australia but overlooking a few massacres by his crew is the right thing to do? Least the Hawaiians got it right ;)

Countries have nothing to do with community either.

* he wasn't actually a captain
** not actually a discovery
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 17 Oct 2021, 9:37 am

Next you will say the myth of the Aussie digger is just that.

They were used as Canon fodder to stand infront of the British as a human shield

:allegedly:
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 17 Oct 2021, 10:48 am

bah! wrote:What, you reckon celebrating Captain Cook* discovering** Australia but overlooking a few massacres by his crew is the right thing to do? Least the Hawaiians got it right ;)

Countries have nothing to do with community either.

* he wasn't actually a captain
** not actually a discovery

So you're saying that because of Captain Cook, or whoever else that did something wrong, that people can't be proud of their country? Genuine question, not just trying to argue

What I'm getting at, you can name any organization, country, group or whatever and there would have been someone who did the wrong thing at one time or another. But does that mean people shouldn't be proud of that group? And just because you're proud of something I don't believe that means you think it's perfect or has never done anything wrong.

Different story if the full intention of that group is just too cause harm. I'm thinking criminal groups, terrorists etc. The members of those are also proud to be members. I feel that is probably what you're getting at
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 17 Oct 2021, 12:00 pm

The law of conquest has existed since the dawn of time. The self governing colonies that would become states in the federation found and claimed this land in accordance with common practices of the law of conquest. I have the title deed to my block of land. I acquired my block of land legally. Who ever owned the land previously to me is irrelevant to my current state of ownership.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cleger » 17 Oct 2021, 12:27 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:The law of conquest has existed since the dawn of time. The self governing colonies that would become states in the federation found and claimed this land in accordance with common practices of the law of conquest. I have the title deed to my block of land. I acquired my block of land legally. Who ever owned the land previously to me is irrelevant to my current state of ownership.

Those "practices" were "common" only to the conqueror.

What of the conquered, after a couple of centuries?

"Law of conquest" is one we don't hear enough anymore, so thanks for that. :lol:

Maybe I should get that incorporated into my own title. :lol:
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by animalpest » 17 Oct 2021, 12:27 pm

So if Catain Cook so bad, why wasn't there massacres on all the islands that he also visited?
Just a genuine question
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Oct 2021, 12:53 pm

animalpest wrote:So if Catain Cook so bad, why wasn't there massacres on all the islands that he also visited?
Just a genuine question

Considering he was massacred by Fijian natives, he must have been a top bloke in their eyes :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bah! » 17 Oct 2021, 2:49 pm

disco stu wrote:So you're saying that because of Captain Cook, or whoever else that did something wrong, that people can't be proud of their country? Genuine question, not just trying to argue

I'm saying that, being proud of a country that is based on the poms having a place to dump convicts, and also some pretty unsavoury attempts to wipe out indigenous, that in itself is nothing much to be proud of. 200 subsequent years of some richy mc riches cronyism keeping at it, not heaps to be proud of either.

disco stu wrote:Different story if the full intention of that group is just too cause harm. I'm thinking criminal groups, terrorists etc. The members of those are also proud to be members. I feel that is probably what you're getting at

Really, isn't that exactly what colonialism is?

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:The law of conquest has existed since the dawn of time. The self governing colonies that would become states in the federation found and claimed this land in accordance with common practices of the law of conquest. I have the title deed to my block of land. I acquired my block of land legally. Who ever owned the land previously to me is irrelevant to my current state of ownership.

I find it deeply ironic that you claim it has existed since the beginning of time, yet it is a law.

Imagine if you had some other way of having land belong to your family, something other than a title written in english on paper. Then some poms turned up and shot you and your family up when they stole your land.

Also, that is a very key point. The modern australian state is based on australia being empty, and settled. Because of that there was no recognised war, and therefore no "Right of Conquest".

animalpest wrote:So if Catain Cook so bad, why wasn't there massacres on all the islands that he also visited?
Just a genuine question

I have no doubt there were on most.

on_one_wheel wrote:Considering he was massacred by Fijian natives, he must have been a top bloke in their eyes :thumbsup:

Hawaiian, and apparently they thought he was ok but he did try and take their king hostage in retaliation for killings in retaliation for his sailors abducting a bunch of female children and raping them.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bah! » 17 Oct 2021, 2:51 pm

cleger wrote:
Those "practices" were "common" only to the conqueror.

What of the conquered, after a couple of centuries?

"Law of conquest" is one we don't hear enough anymore, so thanks for that. :lol:

Maybe I should get that incorporated into my own title. :lol:

In Australia we have this strongly oppositional; notions of;
1) white people tell australian indigenous to "get over" being invaded, and every injustice since
2) white people don't especially seem able to "get over" anzac day
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation