Leg gaiters

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Leg gaiters

Post by Bugman » 25 Oct 2021, 4:41 pm

Any advice with regard to which leg gaiters? I will be out hunting again soon and I am not a hot weather hunter, but with the Covid stuff being eased, I am itching to get out BUT I do not like snakes and from what I can research, gaiters will help in not getting bitten(?). Never had to consider them before due to being a winter hunter, but now, it's different.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Re: Leg gaiters

Post by bigpete » 25 Oct 2021, 4:57 pm

Don't bother lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Oct 2021, 5:00 pm

Personally I'm happy with tall boots such as red wing pull-on boots and jeans but a set of canvas gators from just below the knees worn over jeans, thick socks and ankle height boots will definitely provide adequate protection from snake bites.

Iv found leather gators to be a little uncomfortable and they don't breathe that well.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Oct 2021, 5:04 pm

bigpete wrote:Don't bother lol

Same here. :thumbsup:

There are only 2 or 3 deaths by snake bite a year in this country.

But don't go swimming or boating. If I recall correctly about 200 drownings a year.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 25 Oct 2021, 5:44 pm

I have a pair I wear when it's hot, got them of Cabelas posted from the states with some boot a while back. I had a close call with a snake and I hunt in these mesh camo pants (that are really cool) but offer no protection from a snake bit.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Blr243 » 25 Oct 2021, 6:15 pm

It’s worth trying them on properly in store instead of just guessing the correct size ....the type with a lot of bunched up elastic at the ankle dept tend to be a hassle to put on Big bands of Velcro are effective for keeping them on properly. It’s a lot easier than stuffering around with press studs full of dirt ....I got slack recently and did a few walks in thongs, or in joggers with no socks , but then I cleaned up my act and put gators on for the rest of the hunt ....I have stepped on a snake once before. If that happens to you and you get bitten , And U are no gaiters , and u get sick , U may start wondering how sick u are going to get, and if u are going to die , all because u couldn’t be bothered putting gaiters on
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Oct 2021, 6:17 pm

Bugman wrote:Any advice with regard to which leg gaiters? I will be out hunting again soon and I am not a hot weather hunter, but with the Covid stuff being eased, I am itching to get out BUT I do not like snakes and from what I can research, gaiters will help in not getting bitten(?). Never had to consider them before due to being a winter hunter, but now, it's different.

jeans, thick socks and boots . wear gators if you going to wear shorts :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 25 Oct 2021, 6:27 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:Don't bother lol

Same here. :thumbsup:

There are only 2 or 3 deaths by snake bite a year in this country.

But don't go swimming or boating. If I recall correctly about 200 drownings a year.

Or driving a car....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Oct 2021, 7:31 pm

Bugman wrote:Any advice with regard to which leg gaiters? I will be out hunting again soon and I am not a hot weather hunter, but with the Covid stuff being eased, I am itching to get out BUT I do not like snakes and from what I can research, gaiters will help in not getting bitten(?). Never had to consider them before due to being a winter hunter, but now, it's different.

I have a few different styles, including the ones I wore in Army Cadets as a kid.
They're more for Rose though as I always wear high boots with my trousers bloused over them, so nothing can get up my trousers, like leeches and ticks. Even in 40+ heat I always wear proper laced boots and trousers, a sprained ankle can really ruin your day big time.

Gaiters only protect your lower legs, hunting often requires crawling on the ground or sneaking a look over a ridge. Snakes can bite your hands, arms and face just as easily as your legs...

But snakes are very rarely a problem, you'd have to be fairly unlucky to meet one in a situation that it feels it needs to strike you. Stepping on them is the most likely so keep your eyes open when walking. Look ahead a few meters to ensure you know where you'll be placing your feet _before_ you move, then you can look up while you step forward and stop again. Stepping into a hole or on a stick or rock can ruin your day just as much as a snake can.

When I was in Cadets I was taught that when waking up, spend a minute _slowly_ coming to life, so any wild life that has snuggled up to you during the night can get the message and leave.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 25 Oct 2021, 7:38 pm

I grew up with snakes, they were a constant on our property. Still got plenty where I am now. So I am wary of snakes, but not afraid of them. So I keep my eyes open for them when hunting. I hunt in shorts in warm weather, and do not use gaiters.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Oct 2021, 8:39 pm

Excepting Tiger snakes, Taipans, and Death Adders, the rest will mostly try and go the opposite direction to you.
Gaitors seem to have a definite use according to the army dress sense.
But in actual fact a lot of people who are unfortunate enough to get bitten,, quite often cop it on the hand, forearm, finger/s.

So maybe you'd feel more at ease completely wrapped up. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 26 Oct 2021, 8:05 am

Some good advice there. I think I will pass on the gaiters, and try to be more wary. Thanks for the input, people. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Oct 2021, 11:11 am

Bugman wrote:Some good advice there. I think I will pass on the gaiters, and try to be more wary. Thanks for the input, people. :)

Being out bush is no different than swimming in the open ocean so far as,,, Your in the sharks kitchen,,, not your own.
:D
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 26 Oct 2021, 12:03 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Bugman wrote:Some good advice there. I think I will pass on the gaiters, and try to be more wary. Thanks for the input, people. :)

Being out bush is no different than swimming in the open ocean so far as,,, Your in the sharks kitchen,,, not your own.
:D

:thumbsup:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 26 Oct 2021, 12:45 pm

I've always spent time in areas where snakes are likely, but a trout spot I go to seems to have a lot. Got a real fright one day when I was walking along looking for access to the river through the trees, so not looking where I was stepping exactly, and my foot was inches from coming down on a brown snake. Still don't know how I managed to back off from it as I wasn't walking gingerly. I'm a lot more careful how I walk in those sorts of areas now, plus I carry a PLB as I'm normally out on my own
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Oct 2021, 1:57 pm

disco stu wrote:I've always spent time in areas where snakes are likely, but a trout spot I go to seems to have a lot. Got a real fright one day when I was walking along looking for access to the river through the trees, so not looking where I was stepping exactly, and my foot was inches from coming down on a brown snake. Still don't know how I managed to back off from it as I wasn't walking gingerly. I'm a lot more careful how I walk in those sorts of areas now, plus I carry a PLB as I'm normally out on my own

It's times like that that I swear you actually walk on air.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 26 Oct 2021, 2:49 pm

Ha ha! That's what it felt like. Poor thing was coiled up having a nice snooze in the sun when I happened along. It got out of there quick after that, as did I
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 26 Oct 2021, 5:36 pm

Screenshot_20211026-173529_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211026-173529_Chrome.jpg (387.94 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
yoshie wrote:I have a pair I wear when it's hot, got them of Cabelas posted from the states with some boot a while back. I had a close call with a snake and I hunt in these mesh camo pants (that are really cool) but offer no protection from a snake bit.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 26 Oct 2021, 5:58 pm

Snakes can surprise you, but they really prefer to sneak away. They suffer from something like trying to hide a train though, they can duck their head into a bush, but it takes a while to drag the rest of themselves into cover :-)
Most often I just catch the end of them disappearing into bush as they clocked me long before I got close.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 03 Nov 2021, 11:22 pm

Gaiters have there purpose, working in and hunting all manner of seasons and environments I wouldn’t be without them in some instances.
They offer below knee protection from more than snakes,
I’ve had 3 styles over the years beginning with split leather and accumulating with the current rip stop canvas which will see me out.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 03 Nov 2021, 11:35 pm

In my ideal world you could have one of the professional unemployed walk barefoot before you, particularly in Inland Taipan country.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2021, 11:42 pm

I just remembered, I also have puttees, or "leg wraps", used before gaiters :-)
Takes a little practice to put them on, especially the "crossed" or "herringbone" style, but they are remarkably comfortable, more compact than gaiters, and double as snake bite bandages if required.
http://www.vemra.org/blog/2016/9/30/puttee
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 04 Nov 2021, 3:58 pm

Ta . Will look into it. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by womble » 04 Nov 2021, 4:23 pm

Tiger650 wrote:In my ideal world you could have one of the professional unemployed walk barefoot before you, particularly in Inland Taipan country.

Very good advice
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Nov 2021, 12:10 am

bladeracer wrote:I just remembered, I also have puttees, or "leg wraps", used before gaiters :-)
Takes a little practice to put them on, especially the "crossed" or "herringbone" style, but they are remarkably comfortable, more compact than gaiters, and double as snake bite bandages if required.

So I'd be guessing they are exactly the same only different to the criss cross style leg wrappings that are commonly depicted from knee down
in pics of WW2 Japanese soldiers ??

And, as an aside ,, I read once that some of the Japanese jungle boots were made with the big toe separate from the main toe area of the boot.
Can anyone say whether that is correct or not ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Nov 2021, 12:12 am

Tiger650 wrote:In my ideal world you could have one of the professional unemployed walk barefoot before you, particularly in Inland Taipan country.

That just simply would NOT work,,,,,,,,,,, cos then they'd be employed.

:lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2021, 12:19 am

Die Judicii wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I just remembered, I also have puttees, or "leg wraps", used before gaiters :-)

So I'd be guessing they are exactly the same only different to the criss cross style leg wrappings that are commonly depicted from knee down
in pics of WW2 Japanese soldiers ??

And, as an aside ,, I read once that some of the Japanese jungle boots were made with the big toe separate from the main toe area of the boot.
Can anyone say whether that is correct or not ?

Yes, and I believe yes. Rose liked Japanese socks for a while, with the separate toes.
I quite like the Japanese fundoshi underwear, which is just a length of cloth you wrap around your nether regions. It's the bit of "rag" you generally see captured Japanese soldiers wearing in WW2 photos.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundoshi
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 05 Nov 2021, 3:42 am

Ok this is getting weird.
So far we have Bugman dressed in socks with toes and a nappy. Being led around by an indigenous man.
This is f*cked up.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 05 Nov 2021, 5:36 am

womble wrote:Ok this is getting weird.
So far we have Bugman dressed in socks with toes and a nappy. Being led around by an indigenous man.
This is f*cked up.

The secret is out. I feel so ashamed. Mind you, it's a novel way of hunting. ;)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment