How / Where to get an honest valuation.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

How / Where to get an honest valuation.

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Nov 2021, 4:34 pm

Any suggestions regarding the topic heading ?

I've found in the past that gunsmiths don't necessarily have an accurate answer.

And even worse,,, Firearms Dealers / Shops are terrible.
Because,, they always want to buy what your wanting to sell,,, so therefore put up extremely low figures. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: How / Where to get an honest valuation.

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Nov 2021, 4:59 pm

I'll give you $50. ;)

Lol

The obvious is used guns mate. But guess you have done that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 06 Nov 2021, 5:36 pm

50 bucks !
Tell him he’s dreaming.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Nov 2021, 5:39 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Any suggestions regarding the topic heading ?

I've found in the past that gunsmiths don't necessarily have an accurate answer.

And even worse,,, Firearms Dealers / Shops are terrible.
Because,, they always want to buy what your wanting to sell,,, so therefore put up extremely low figures. :thumbsdown:

Tell your dealer you are renewing your insurance and just need a value.

Otherwise, tick the "Include sold listings" on Usedguns and try to get an idea, but keep in mind that the listings never tell what the item actually sold for, only what it was listed at.

And consider what you might be willing to pay for it if you were looking. If you wouldn't offer $1500 for a rifle you already own, you can probably assume others might be even less inclined to.

For modern stuff, I just buy new as people often want close to new value for secondhand stuff anyway.

There was a thread a few months ago on this same subject I think?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Nov 2021, 6:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:
For modern stuff, I just buy new as people often want close to new value for secondhand stuff anyway.

Yeah Mate thanks,,,, especially the bit about needing a valuation for renewing an insurance policy.
I had never thought of that particular angle.

As for people wanting close to new $$$ for a used rifle,,,,,,,
It really p!sses me off the amount of times I've seen stuff advertised on Used Guns where they literally have it listed as NEW, but then
go on to say Only fired 300 rounds. :wtf: :problem: :roll: :x

But for now,,,,,, I'll try your idea for a valuation cos what I'm thinking of selling is,,,, unfired, modern, custom built, and plus all factory optional extras.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Nov 2021, 7:16 pm

Custom builds always make me wary, modifying things to suit your specifics means they're less likely to suit other people's needs. Custom translates to "happy to lose heaps on resale to be able to enjoy what I like", just like custom cars and bikes. Pile money on the garage floor and put a match to it, far less stressful :-)

Curious why somebody would do a custom and then never even try it out?
I know lots of people love building remote-controlled model aircraft, without ever planning to fly them, I'd do that myself if I had the patience :-)

Die Judicii wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yeah Mate thanks,,,, especially the bit about needing a valuation for renewing an insurance policy.
I had never thought of that particular angle.

As for people wanting close to new $$$ for a used rifle,,,,,,,
It really p!sses me off the amount of times I've seen stuff advertised on Used Guns where they literally have it listed as NEW, but then
go on to say Only fired 300 rounds. :wtf: :problem: :roll: :x

But for now,,,,,, I'll try your idea for a valuation cos what I'm thinking of selling is,,,, unfired, modern, custom built, and plus all factory optional extras.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Nov 2021, 7:23 pm

"Mate thanks,,,, especially the bit about needing a valuation for renewing an insurance policy.
I had never thought of that particular angle."

Sounds sensible
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 06 Nov 2021, 9:09 pm

Gunsmiths would be no better at valueing a firearm than a gunshop. Value is so subjective and Id argue that a good ad will get more value than an honest one, just post up what you have and you 'll get too many honest answers. :lol:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Nov 2021, 9:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:Custom builds always make me wary, modifying things to suit your specifics means they're less likely to suit other people's needs.

Curious why somebody would do a custom and then never even try it out?

When I said "custom built" I didn't mean weird stock, or wild cat caliber, or anything fanciful.

This rifle was "custom" built at the factory with factory options as per the buyers requests.
I bought it from a deceased estate, where the guy had died before ever having the chance to try it out.
Standard .308 caliber
Stainless,,,,,,, but ceracoted satin black.
Factory set trigger
Extremely high grade walnut stock that was personally picked by the owner from Beretta
Custom hand made leather sling with rifle manufacturers emblem embossed
And,,,,, as previously stated,, unfired.
Oh, and forgot ,,,, all parts applicable have been polished and slicked,,, and has optilocks as well.
Last edited by Die Judicii on 07 Nov 2021, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 07 Nov 2021, 6:22 am

In the end any object or thing is only worth what a buyer, if one can be found, is prepared to pay for it.
Comparable items that are commonly bought and sold are relatively easy to value accurately.
An insurance valuation of an uncommon item would have to take into consideration replacement cost, but for resale due to the very limited number of potential buyers that might be an unrealistic asking price.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Nov 2021, 1:41 pm

DJ, suggest you post 2 or 3 pics along with model, year of manufacture, etc. Someone here might have some idea.
nudge, nudge ;) ;)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 07 Nov 2021, 4:23 pm

Getting one or two gun dealers, who deal in similar type of guns to do a valuation for insurance purposes is probably the best idea.

Maybe consider to pay some money 4 the valuation
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2021, 5:24 pm

cz515 wrote:Getting one or two gun dealers, who deal in similar type of guns to do a valuation for insurance purposes is probably the best idea.

If he were wanting a valuation for insurance cover then it might be worth paying for such.
But paying for a valuation just decreases the actual profit when you are selling it.

You pay your dealer $100 for a valuation of $2000.
You advertise it for $2000 and eventually sell it for $1800, less the $100 you already paid out.
You're probably just better off advertising it a little cheaper than you think you might be able to get to begin with as you'll also get more interest.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 07 Nov 2021, 6:15 pm

Can you still get this same rifle with the same/similar factory customisation? If you can price that, or know how much it cost, then I figure that gives you a starting point for what it's worth. Is it collectable now, or just a nice tricked out thing that anyone could get if they wanted? Could try selling a bit cheaper than new if you know those details and see how you go for interest
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 07 Nov 2021, 7:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
cz515 wrote:Getting one or two gun dealers, who deal in similar type of guns to do a valuation for insurance purposes is probably the best idea.

If he were wanting a valuation for insurance cover then it might be worth paying for such.
But paying for a valuation just decreases the actual profit when you are selling it.

You advertise it for $2000 and eventually sell it for $1800, less the $100 you already paid out.
You're probably just better off advertising it a little cheaper than you think you might be able to get to begin with as you'll also get more interest.

Ahh that's a good point. If he's just planning on selling.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Nov 2021, 7:30 pm

cz515 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Ahh that's a good point. If he's just planning on selling.

I just thought that went without saying.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 07 Nov 2021, 9:04 pm

Actually, that's a good point. I made the assumption it was trying to get a price to sell it for, but rereading this now seems off the mark
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2021, 10:03 pm

disco stu wrote:Actually, that's a good point. I made the assumption it was trying to get a price to sell it for, but rereading this now seems off the mark

My reading is that he wants an honest appraisal of what he should be asking in order to advertise it for sale. If he tells the dealer he wants to sell it, he's concerned the dealer might give him a low figure, hoping to pick it up for himself, rather than an accurate figure of what he thinks the public might pay for it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 08 Nov 2021, 6:36 am

He could also place it with a dealer on consignment
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Nov 2021, 2:48 pm

A lot of people get emotional when selling their property. They feel it is worth more for whatever reason yet the market is not ready to pay it.

With shipping being a pain at the moment second hand goods have been rising. Especially in the price of used cars.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Nov 2021, 3:39 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:A lot of people get emotional when selling their property. They feel it is worth more for whatever reason yet the market is not ready to pay it.

With shipping being a pain at the moment second hand goods have been rising. Especially in the price of used cars.

I've had discussions with motorcycle sellers that consider maintenance items are value adding.
Buy a bike for $10,000, put two sets of tyres on for $1000, five services for $2000, new pads for $400, chain and sprockets for $600, etc and figure their bike is now worth $15,000...

I paid $550 for my Jw25A, have had it for twelve days and put $350 worth of ammo through it. Must be worth $850 now, at least, and I have all the receipts - that always helps ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Nov 2021, 4:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:A lot of people get emotional when selling their property. They feel it is worth more for whatever reason yet the market is not ready to pay it.

I've had discussions with motorcycle sellers that consider maintenance items are value adding.
Buy a bike for $10,000, put two sets of tyres on for $1000, five services for $2000, new pads for $400, chain and sprockets for $600, etc and figure their bike is now worth $15,000...

I paid $550 for my Jw25A, have had it for twelve days and put $350 worth of ammo through it. Must be worth $850 now, at least, and I have all the receipts - that always helps ;-)

Your pretty right. That's why generally I just shop around and buy new.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 11 Nov 2021, 4:37 pm

Lol too right blade.

2nd hand things have gone up there is no doubt. It's partially due to shipping raising the prices and not just for cars, I assume you used cars as an example. I have seen ride on mowers, home goods, all types of collectables, even bicycles go up.

It's mainly Nevis people are stuck at home, and getting govt payments or still working so have very full wallets, itching to spend them and do some detail therapy. I have seen 10 year old ride ons not just advertising but selling for more than the original owner paid for them.

We just sold our business vehicle for far more than we were expecting to a car wholesaler (not private sale) The demand is so high.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Nov 2021, 4:15 pm

cz515 wrote:

Lol too right blade.

2nd hand things have gone up there is no doubt. It's partially due to shipping raising the prices and not just for cars, I assume you used cars as an example. I have seen ride on mowers, home goods, all types of collectables, even bicycles go up.

It's mainly Nevis people are stuck at home, and getting govt payments or still working so have very full wallets, itching to spend them and do some detail therapy. I have seen 10 year old ride ons not just advertising but selling for more than the original owner paid for them.

We just sold our business vehicle for far more than we were expecting to a car wholesaler (not private sale) The demand is so high.

I saw/read an article only months ago where people (USA) are taking their 12 or 18 month old vehicles back to the dealers,,,, and they (dealers) are buying them back for the original,,, and sometimes higher than original purchase price.
Such is the demand.

And,,,, the writing is on the wall here in AUS for the same thing to happen.

My partners vehicle is a lease vehicle, and the contract ends in a weeks time.
She ordered the new replacement vehicle 3 months ago,,,,, and rang Toyota yesterday to find out if the new one will be ready to collect next week.
They informed her that they cannot supply until maybe April next year. :wtf: :wtf:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by scoot » 12 Nov 2021, 5:00 pm

Happening already. I personally know 2 people who were offered "deals" by the dealerships they bought new cars from. Hear similar storys regularly.
There is a huge & undisclosed wait for popular vehicles like hilux, landcruiser, patrol.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 12 Nov 2021, 5:33 pm

I know currently kia is a 12 month delay with most vehicles.

There are brands that have vehicles in country and they are flying out
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment