High Power Rifle competition

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

High Power Rifle competition

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2022, 3:54 pm

I was looking at this site and find it interesting.
http://www.aihpa.com/default.htm

Anybody here shooting this type of competition?
It appears to be based in NSW but says that any club is welcome to shoot the comps.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: High Power Rifle competition

Post by in2anity » 14 Feb 2022, 4:56 pm

It looks like yank CMP - all on the frame. Much Service Rifle shooting in Oz has British origins.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2022, 6:39 pm

in2anity wrote:It looks like yank CMP - all on the frame. Much Service Rifle shooting in Oz has British origins.

I have no idea what on the frame means, or whether it's better or worse than something else, but it is NRA-based. I hope we don't stay with British method or competition shooting will soon be lining up to fire one blank round into a concrete bunker, from a rifle chained to a concrete bench, and then strip searched to make sure we don't make off with a spent case :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Feb 2022, 9:31 pm

So, was trying to work out load data for 6.5x55mm and .30-06 suitable for this, and I can't find any reference to minimum ammo requirements.

I know of other Service comps that specify a minimum of 75% of the energy of the standard military load of the era. I don't recall seeing bullet weights specified so it's pretty much down to you to load a lighter bullet at higher velocity or a heavier one at lower velocity, as long as it makes the energy minimum.

This comp I can't find anything, is it left to me to decide if I want to use a subsonic load?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 16 Feb 2022, 9:08 am

Blade when i said "on the frame" just means the entire comp may be shot onto a static target, which is held by a frame, not a human marker. I.e. no snaps or moving targets. Yank CMP also uses the black circle target, whereas the brits used the running soldier target, and included snap shooting. Much more exciting IMO.

IDK about load "compliancy" - but our service rifle club doesn't care about loads. In our club, if you want to shoot lead over trail boss then that's completely up to you. Just remember if the wind is not favorable on the day, your subsonic loads will be at a distinct disadvantage for the longer range stagees. It's all tradeoffs. I try and balance my loads between recoil and 300m adequacy, considering variable windage.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2022, 10:36 am

in2anity wrote:Blade when i said "on the frame" just means the entire comp may be shot onto a static target, which is held by a frame, not a humn marker. I.e. no snaps or moving targets. Yank CMP also uses the black circle target, whereas the brits used the running soldier target, and included snap shooting. Much more exciting IMO.

IDK about loads - but our service rifle club doesn't care about loads. In our club, if you want to shoot lead over trail boss then that's completely up to you. Just remember if the wind is not favorable on the day, your subsonic loads will be at a distinct disadvantage for the longer range stagees. It's all tradeoffs. I try and balance my loads between recoil and 300m adequacy, considering variable windage.

Oh, that makes sense. This is shot at rising targets, like F-Class. Targets are raised and lowered, and marked, by shooters in the pits. They do "5rds in 30sec exposure" and "10 singles on 3sec exposure" stuff. In the US they use circular targets, here they use Figure 11 and 12 with 6" V.

Fig 11 is 18.5x45.5" and used in "Rapid".
Target Figure-11.gif
Target Figure-11.gif (38.01 KiB) Viewed 2192 times

Fig 12 is 18.5x23" and used in "Snap".
Target Figure-12.jpeg.jpg
Target Figure-12.jpeg.jpg (40.21 KiB) Viewed 2192 times

Type B is 48x48" with Fig 11 centre for the 300m slow, rapid and snap.
Target Type B 4x4.gif
Target Type B 4x4.gif (45.77 KiB) Viewed 2192 times

http://www.aihpa.com/targets/HPR_targets.htm
I haven't worked out if they shoot in yards or meters - both are mentioned.

I was actually going to ask you if you might know where I might get some of these targets :-)

The common course of fire (I think) is 60rds (plus 12 sighters). It's "slightly modified from one of the Commonwealths oldest courses of fire shot by the services for training and marksmanship classification."

300m Prone unsupported
10rds 10mins on the Type B with Fig 11 centre
10rds two 5rd strings in 30sec Type B
10rds singles on 3sec exposure
200m Sitting unsupported
10rds two 5rd strings in 30sec Type B
10rds ten singles on 3sec exposure
100m Standing unsupported
10rds ten singles on 3sec exposure
http://www.aihpa.com/Courses%20Of%20Fire/COF_AMC.htm

With four classes (as issued service, modified service, open irons, open optics) I'm hoping it would be possible to shoot four times for a 288rd day of shooting, with one rifle or four rifles.

For ammo the only thing I could find was for NRA service you can only use service ammo, as issued, not hand loaded. In non-service I could find no restrictions.

If I'm working up loads and find I'm shooting better with lighter loads I'd like to know if there's a limit. I don't think subsonic is realistic, but at 100m you would need a fair wind to miss a 6" V with an 80gn to 160gn jacketed bullet travelling at 1100fps. I use the 95gn VMax for subsonic in 6.5x55mm so I can try them at 300m and see how they do in wind. In .30-06 I use the 123gn Copper-Plated Berry's. 311" bullet for reduced loads.

I emailed the club on the weekend but haven't heard anything yet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 16 Feb 2022, 10:51 am

Yeah that's the very ones - course of fire looks very analogous to what we do. IDK where you get the targets from - online i guess, then print them yourselves? They are the typicial commonweatlth service rifle targets. I'm not sure if you'll have time to shoot multiple classes in one day - normally we only have time to shoot in one category, because everybody needs a turn, and the markers may need rotation, or only get paid for a certain amount of time. Sometimes you can squeeze in a second "not to count" at the end.

The subs do fine at 100m offhand, but not so well at 300m, unless it's etremely calm. Usually, it's best to run the one handload and become very familiar with the number of clicks required at each distance. That said, I use a 80.5gr Berger for 300m application then switch to my normal 69grSMK. Shooting a 50.* /50.10 from prone sling 300m is a lot harder than it looks - you need all the accuracy you can muster, and the 80.5grs shave off a minute of windage at that distance.

You'll need to be good with your sling from sitting and prone to be in the running.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2022, 7:42 pm

Are you shooting these same silhouette targets at ANZAC?

I found greatly-reduced images which I can blow up but I'd like to get copies of the original as well. Would it be used in the UK?

Hmmm, I thought they shot the four classes separately. Two have sub-classes that would shoot in the same class. It would be helpful if they responded to email though:-)

Only interested in improving my shooting, not scores or trophies.

in2anity wrote:Yeah that's the very ones - course of fire looks very analogous to what we do. IDK where you get the targets from - online i guess, then print them yourselves? They are the typicial commonweatlth service rifle targets. I'm not sure if you'll have time to shoot multiple classes in one day - normally we only have time to shoot in one category, because everybody needs a turn, and the markers may need rotation, or only get paid for a certain amount of time. Sometimes you can squeeze in a second "not to count" at the end.

The subs do fine at 100m offhand, but not so well at 300m, unless it's etremely calm. Usually, it's best to run the one handload and become very familiar with the number of clicks required at each distance. That said, I use a 80.5gr Berger for 300m application then switch to my normal 69grSMK. Shooting a 50.* /50.10 from prone sling 300m is a lot harder than it looks - you need all the accuracy you can muster, and the 80.5grs shave off a minute of windage at that distance.

You'll need to be good with your sling from sitting and prone to be in the running.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2022, 8:48 pm

Okay, Facebook got me in contact with a very helpful, and nice bloke :-)

Unfortunately, they only shoot this at two places currently, Gilgandra and Aberdeen, both northwest of Sydney. They have had matches at other clubs, including in Victoria, but nothing current.

Hopefully I can get some targets for practicing, then find an excuse to head up that way for a shoot. 1100km and 1300km from me. If I could organize a trip to shoot matches at both ranges that would be a big incentive.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges