Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 Feb 2022, 3:45 pm

I suggest you read the explosives act and its subordinate regulation because all your answers are in there.

I love how you phrase the "take you shopping". If I understand you correctly what you are insinuating is ilegal. You must have a licence issued under the weapons act to purchase and possess small arms ammunition(25.4mm or less in calibre), primers and propellant powder in Queensland.

Your friend can not buy on your behalf and give it to you because he is not licensed to sell(I assume he is not a dealer) and you are not licensed to possess.

The legal work around is to wait until you have a licence issued under the weapons act. You will lose your licence and be charged with an offence before you are even issued a licence if you possess it beforehand.

Your only other option is to buy it off the dealer and beg him to hang on to it for a couple months until you are licensed.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Feb 2022, 7:18 pm

The waiting period sucks but think of it as proving that you are the type of person that will be a safe and responsible firearm owner.

Unfortunately, you can't purchase or possess primers or powder in QLD until you have a license card, so that will be another 2 weeks of waiting after your approval email comes through, I found that to be the slowest 2 weeks of my life. Getting caught with those items and no license will most likely mean a firearms offence and prosecution and no license for 5 years, the same for the person that sold or gave you powder or primers so best not to put them in that position. If you try to buy those items at a dealer they could report you to the police and that itself could slow or put an end to your license.

Reloading is a process of testing and tweaking, without your own firearm for testing you could just end up making a lot of rounds that are no good and perform worse than factory ammunition.

The mindset of being a licensed shooter is to follow the laws and rules, no matter how stupid they are and don't try to find a workaround for the rules you don't like, police have no flexibility when they see a chance to get a firearms related conviction.

Welcome to the fun of shooting in Australia.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 Feb 2022, 8:16 pm

Spot on RC42.

As fit and proper people we follow all laws regardless what our personal views are.

I do find it strange that he/she/it was not aware of needing a licence to possess small arms ammunition, primers and propellent powder.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 08 Feb 2022, 10:09 am

20 weeks 5 days. Still nada. At what point should I call them up or should I just leave it?
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by rc42 » 08 Feb 2022, 2:18 pm

Call them now, ask them to confirm that your application is being processed correctly as sometimes they drop out of the queues, also ask for an estimate of how much longer it will be, they won't know but they should be able to answer that question.

Then create politely worded emails to your local state Member, the Police Minister and the Police Commissioner, outlinne your case and (again, politely) express your thoughts that this service is unacceptable and needs to be fixed.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 15 Feb 2022, 2:44 pm

I called Weapons Licensing today, I got a very nice lady. Who I asked if everything was going okay and just to make sure I hadn't missed anything in the submission, She said it had been processed in the first assessment (Club assessment) and was now at the higher assessment level (which is supposedly the last assessment before it's either approved or denied) she said she would send them an email to notify them of the call, which I said there was no need as there was no real urgency but she said something along the lines of "It's nice to send an email and hurry them up".

So hopefully in the next few days I'll get my approval email.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by roadblock » 19 Feb 2022, 11:05 pm

Recently applied for cat H. Having gone through cat AB License application and statement of eligibility (QP515) process in the last 12 months, would it be reasonable to hope for some relief from the boilerplate 'wait 20 weeks before calling' response from WLB? Wondering if anyone else has followed a similar path?
roadblock
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 19 Feb 2022, 11:35 pm

Nope... it doesn't matter who you are or what you already have, WLB are very fair in their equal application processing and queue times, they really do hate us all equally.

They are massively under resourced and staffed by typical government employees that follow complex procedures and move at the slowest pace possible. If you call them before the 20 weeks (or whatever they say is their 'don't call us before' period) you will just be told it's in the queue, they will get to it when they get to it and they can't give an ETA.

To be fair, some of the WLB staff that answer phones are great to deal with, others are total asses, you have to ask yourself, "do you feel lucky?"
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Taijihitman » 20 Feb 2022, 8:11 am

Hi all,
Does anyone know the wait times in QLD at the moment? I submitted mine late December 2021?
Thanks
Taijihitman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 20 Feb 2022, 12:16 pm

I can confirm my friend who is a licensed shooter of 12 years got his CAT H approval a few weeks ago after a 24 week wait.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Pighunter » 03 Mar 2022, 7:51 pm

We've reached the 24 week mark, still no news.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Wadeak1990 » 13 Mar 2022, 6:41 am

At my local gun shop yesterday the lady behind the counter said she rang them for a follow up on several of her customers who had applied in august last year and we’re still waiting and was told they have over 8000 applications currently to get through…. Although after the phone call it was a few days later and the customers approvals came through… seems like you have to make some noise to make it happen.
Wadeak1990
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 18 Mar 2022, 9:52 am

Wadeak1990 wrote:At my local gun shop yesterday the lady behind the counter said she rang them for a follow up on several of her customers who had applied in august last year and we’re still waiting and was told they have over 8000 applications currently to get through…. Although after the phone call it was a few days later and the customers approvals came through… seems like you have to make some noise to make it happen.

I called up again on Tuesday the 26th week of my wait. 4 or 6 weeks since my initial call to them. I was told "If you haven't heard anything in 4 weeks give us another call." Does not fill me with optimism haha. I was told the same as last time it's on the team leaders desk.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Sawbones » 05 Apr 2022, 5:56 am

I applied for both my H and A/B on 8th of October '21.
I go the email for my A/B license on the 18th of March (24 weeks) and the license arrived in the mail on the 1st of April (no joke).

The H license will be 26 weeks on Friday.

I've also got a PTA pending for a H, which I'm guessing will be another month after they eventually approve the license, not Holding my breath. At least now I can buy my own ammo.
Sawbones
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Pighunter » 08 Apr 2022, 12:04 pm

Sawbones wrote:I applied for both my H and A/B on 8th of October '21.
I go the email for my A/B license on the 18th of March (24 weeks) and the license arrived in the mail on the 1st of April (no joke).

The H license will be 26 weeks on Friday.

I've also got a PTA pending for a H, which I'm guessing will be another month after they eventually approve the license, not Holding my breath. At least now I can buy my own ammo.

Lucky you got yours, I'm on 29 weeks now for A/B 3 calls to weapons licencing telling me they'll follow it up because it's been sitting on the team leaders desk to long. But they never do anything. Last call they tried to put me through to a team leader but one was sick and one was on a training exercise. But assured me the two of them will follow it up. I won't hold my breath.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Pighunter » 27 Apr 2022, 4:42 pm

It turns out I had forgotten to include something in my application form. Thankfully WLB realised it was an honest mistake on my part and simply asked me to get a doctors letter. If the doctors letter is positive the AO said my application should proceed to be approved.
So for anyone new doing their application really rack your brain for anything that WLB might consider needed for your application. Honesty is always the best policy to keep the reputation of the sport intact.
Off to the doctors ASAP and hopefully in a few weeks the saga will come to an end and I can enjoy this wonderful hobby.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Wadeak1990 » 02 May 2022, 6:53 pm

Why does is take 29 weeks and you following up 3 times to find that information out tho……
Wadeak1990
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by roadblock » 02 May 2022, 11:20 pm

I lodged a ministerial complaint using the shooter's union email generator and got a call from WLB within a week. They gave me a bunch of stats about how many new applications they've got to get through and how much they've already increased their headcount to do so but I subsequently asked them why the waiting times were still going up, not down. They weren't able to answer the question and the response prior to that sounded well rehearsed. I have no misconceptions of getting through and faster than anyone else. Just passed 14 weeks so I'm not getting to excited yet. I'd just like to see a long term change for the better.
roadblock
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 03 May 2022, 1:03 am

roadblock wrote:...Just passed 14 weeks so I'm not getting to excited yet....

Congratulations, you're very likely past half way through the wait.

Don't forget to raise your concerns to your local state member and the Commissioner of Police too.
It's only when they get sick of dealing with complaints that they'll actually consider doing something to fix the system, "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" as they say.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 03 May 2022, 10:07 am

Wadeak1990 wrote:Why does is take 29 weeks and you following up 3 times to find that information out tho……

By the time I got that call it was 5 phone calls.
It is what it is. I'm happy I finally got some information, off to the doctors today to get the letter.
Once the wait is over it will have been worth it but it's been one hell of a wait lol.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Sawbones » 14 May 2022, 7:29 am

I received my H approval email, so timeline:

A/B and separate H online application lodged: 08/10/2021, identification supplied to Auspost 11/10/2021.

A/B approved: 18 March (23 weeks) and license received in mail 31 March (25 weeks total).

H approved: 9 May (31 weeks) - waiting for plastic license but expect 20th - 26th of May.

Cat H purchased & PTA application 23/10/22 - now waiting 29 weeks.

Cat B purchased & PTA application 12/06/22; approval email 13/05/22 (23 hours) stating this is my first rifle and a 4 week mandatory wait applies so it will be issued 11/06/22.
Sawbones
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Wadeak1990 » 28 May 2022, 12:50 pm

Got my email approval today, it was 21 weeks and 2 days from application date for cat A/B.
Wadeak1990
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 28 May 2022, 2:30 pm

Sawbones wrote:.....
Cat B purchased & PTA application 12/06/22; approval email 13/05/22 (23 hours) stating this is my first rifle and a 4 week mandatory wait applies so it will be issued 11/06/22.

Some of your dates are confusing as they haven't happened yet but it's comical that they apply a 4 week 'cooling off' period to the first PTA after making people wait 30 weeks for the license. If somebody hasn't cooled of in that time it's a fair assumption that another month isn't going to make a difference.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 30 May 2022, 11:32 am

I've stopped counting but I believe I'm at about week 36 now.
I did have to provide additional information 3 weeks ago in the form of a Medical certificate from my GP so I imagine it will take them another 7 months to get around to reading that. Hopefully my next post will be an approval email lmao.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by roadblock » 30 May 2022, 9:48 pm

Anyone that is sick of waiting? I suggest you use the shooter's union ministerial email generator. After lodging a ministerial complaint on 23/3 I received a call from WLB on 1/4. I called again today to follow up on the discussion from 1/4 and received my approval email minutes after the call. Seems they are taking ministerial complaints seriously.
roadblock
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 31 May 2022, 9:43 am

roadblock wrote:Anyone that is sick of waiting? I suggest you use the shooter's union ministerial email generator. After lodging a ministerial complaint on 23/3 I received a call from WLB on 1/4. I called again today to follow up on the discussion from 1/4 and received my approval email minutes after the call. Seems they are taking ministerial complaints seriously.

It took a Ministerial complaint for them to actually look at my application after 30+ weeks. Only for them to request more information. So at this point I'm at the mercy of the authorising officer.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by The Hodgemeister » 31 May 2022, 12:26 pm

WAIT TIMES in general. Super my own opinion - 21 days cool off by legislation should also translate into the same return timeframe for ALL State and Territory Governments. That said, ACT Firearms Registry said Mr Hodge, your PTA will be in the mail Thursday 19 May 2022. And boom - there it was on the date The Registry stated. I think we're lucky in the ACT in that the majority of transactions with the registry go very well. I'm about to renew my Firearms Licence in a month so I hope to keep that opinion - yeah!
Admin of Australian 25-06 Remington Page and The Faceplant Banned Australian 6mm and 6.5mm Creedmoor Page
Chì mi thu air an raon-catha
The Hodgemeister
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wadeak1990 » 08 Jun 2022, 7:33 pm

160 days exactly from the date of application to receiving the physical license in the mail for anyone wondering.
Wadeak1990
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 23 Jun 2022, 3:14 pm

After a 40 week and two day wait. My firearms licence has been approved as has my PTA. I want to thank Nails who gave me some good advice in private messages on dealing with the whole ordeal.
I had to submit a doctors certificate around the 28 week mark. But at least it's finally over.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by PriorHistorian » 12 Jul 2022, 7:29 pm

I lodged my application on the 2/2/22 for my A/B and received an email on the 23/6/22 stating that i was required to get a medical report from a psychologist as they had concerns for the public interest. I was honest in my initial application and answered yes to the question asking about previous issues, stating that i had been treated for a mild depressive disorder. I supplied a letter from my treating GP with my application stating he held no concerns about me obtaining firearms as i had not needed treatment for said issue since my early 20s (now mid 30s). I was able to get in to see a psychologist that I had seen before and he supplied said report stating that he also viewed me as "a fit and proper person". Now for the wait to find out whether or not I will be approved which I assume will take another few weeks/months. Its also worth noting that I put my "Form 36" in to join a pistol club the same time as my licence and the day after my email from WLB I received my approved statement of eligibility, top line reading " MY NAME, DOB is a fit and proper person to hold a weapons licence".

Anyhow, this thread has been a great source of info for me and hope this helps someone else.
PriorHistorian
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws