Foggy glasses

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Foggy glasses

Post by NTSOG » 06 May 2022, 6:42 am

G'day,

It's freezing this morning where I live south of Ballarat - we're at about - 1.5C this morning and it was not much warmer last evening when I was out whistling foxes. A customer came running in to about 60 yards, but as I took aim my glasses fogged completely over and I couldn't see a thing. Is there any commercial product that reduces the chance of fogging lenses that might help?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Foggy glasses

Post by Oldbloke » 06 May 2022, 8:02 am

A common problem.
Optomotrists sell a lens cleaning spray, will help.

Or

Dish washing liquid in some water. A few drops to about 50ml of water. Spray and wipe.

But you can't stop it completely.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 06 May 2022, 8:13 am

Try dive shops they have some spray made for the purpose. I have always just used spit in my mask the a quick wash out and your good.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by noneyabussiness » 06 May 2022, 8:14 am

I know when playing painball the goggles they supply fog up bad.. they did have a spray that completely stopped it... maybe give your local paintball place a call and ask...
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 06 May 2022, 9:05 am

"Anti fog" treatments break the surface tension of vapour which is deposited on a lens, rather than many thousands of tiny fluid spheres which all refract light you get a uniform very thin film of liquid which is functionally transparent. Spit, detergent, etc serves this function.
The smallest dab of detergent "polished" into a lens will work fine, proprietary stuff ex a dive shop or optometrist may work better but probably much the same.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 06 May 2022, 9:17 am

Only problem with detergent is that it can get in you eyes. It stings like s**t and will make your eyes water to the point of not being able to see anything at all. You will also rub your eyes just making matters worse.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by in2anity » 06 May 2022, 9:32 am

Should try shooting irons in a TR match with foggy glasses... then you know you're alive
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 06 May 2022, 10:28 am

I hav contact lenses fitted
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 06 May 2022, 11:16 am

First time I went to Darwin I remember walking out of an airconditioned supermarket and going blind LOL.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2022, 11:49 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

It's freezing this morning where I live south of Ballarat - we're at about - 1.5C this morning and it was not much warmer last evening when I was out whistling foxes. A customer came running in to about 60 yards, but as I took aim my glasses fogged completely over and I couldn't see a thing. Is there any commercial product that reduces the chance of fogging lenses that might help?

Jim

Major problem racing in the rain. I just spat on the inside of my visor and smeared it around.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 06 May 2022, 12:11 pm

You can also use a product called rainex. All auto stores have it. Apply it and it works for a number of days/weeks
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 06 May 2022, 11:27 pm

Larry wrote:Try dive shops they have some spray made for the purpose. I have always just used spit in my mask the a quick wash out and your good.

or, what I used to use,,, a handfull of sea lettuce (sea weed) squashed (dripping) onto the lens,, then just rinse with sea water.
But unless NTSOG is hunting foxes on the beach ,,,this probly won't be of much assistance.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 May 2022, 11:42 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

Jim

Yeah Mate of course there is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Phone 131442
GRACE REMOVALISTS.

They'll move ya up to Qld,,,,,,,,,, end of problem. :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 07 May 2022, 7:46 am

G'day All,

Thanks for the suggestions and no DJ, I will not relocate to Qld.! I hate humidity having lived in the US Midwest for several summers.

I had forgotten the effectiveness of human saliva on dive goggles. I used, when much younger and before a close encounter with a bronze whaler, do a lot of spear-fishing; spitting on the inside of the mask lens was standard. Otherwise I see there are lots of products available. I hadn't heard of Rainex for instance. Contact lenses would be the trick, but I gave them up years ago due to the general grottiness of farm work each day. Contacts require a high standard of cleanliness and I found that there was generally too much dust and dirt flying around, especially in spring/summer when hay making and cultivating, not to mention my hands were generally pretty dirty mush of the time.

Tiger650: thanks for the physics lesson. I didn't know how the foggy layer worked to interfere with the passage of light.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 07 May 2022, 9:52 am

Yes to Tiger 650,,,
Although knowing what you said from my past experiences,, the ever so basic and effective way you worded it,
is the best I've ever come across. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 May 2022, 3:36 pm

When I was in the quad bike shop this morning while waiting I found a tiny spray bottle called (cat crap ) It’s spose to be for spraying on the insides of motorcycle helmets lenses to stop them from fogging up . No idea how good it is or if it’s suitable for inside surfaces of spectacles. I really should keep this bottle and some safety glasses in the front of my quad. There is times when Tracks and roads are wet I get a lot of fine gravel and mud flicking into my face . An eye injury could totally destroy a hunting trip and then some
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by markg » 08 Jun 2022, 10:20 pm

Rainex for windscreens is primo.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 17 Jun 2022, 8:25 pm

Just cut a small potato in half and rub the inside over the lenses . It's a natural antifogging agent .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Scopes, sights and optics