Pistol Powder !

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Bills Shed » 14 Apr 2022, 6:44 am

Open it up. If it still smells OK, I would use it.
I still have some metal tins in the cupboard that have been given to me. Smell sweet and clean and still putting holes in critters. It will last a long time stored well.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 14 Apr 2022, 9:17 am

I have powder older than that which still works well. If it has been stored correctly it should be ok. As Bill said, see how it smells.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 14 Apr 2022, 11:56 am

I'm not too sure that smell alone will tell you if it's OK.
Case in point. I have several canisters of Vihtavuori 133 that I had been using for 6PPC.
Recently opened another and the normal powder charge encroached into the neck area. Would have been quite a compressed charge. Rechecked scales and thrower. All good.
Opened another more recently manufactured canister and no problems.
The bulk density, for whatever reason, had changed. I can't say that the powder is "no good"; it may well be OK with another load development but I can't be bothered dicking around with it, so it might become garden fertiliser.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brett » 28 Apr 2022, 2:20 pm

interesting read. how much will a full 454gr bottle of bullseye sell for do you guys think? do i try to sell one for big bucks and then risk running out myself???
brett
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by MtnMan » 28 Apr 2022, 5:24 pm

Peter Dutton said prepare for war. Maybe keep it.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 29 Apr 2022, 12:33 am

There are reloaders here in the USA still using surplus WW2 powder and plenty of others I have seen using powder from the 50s to 80s.

Most gunpowders these days are going to last decades if stored well in stable conditions
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2022, 12:16 pm

I have found a _small_ supply of some powders down my way, including some AR2205 and the extinct Win748.
Also some Bullseye, Green Dot, RL10X, RL15, RL16, RL19 and RL23.
I only use ADI powders so have no idea what these other powders are suitable for.
You'll be travelling two hours east of Melbourne for them but I can collect them and hold them until you can make the trip if it helps.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Salty » 12 May 2022, 4:39 pm

Last Xmas wandering south to visit the kids I stopped at one of my fav shops and walked away with 2kg of AS50N for $160, I still have a smile on my face bigger than a few months before when I found 500gr of AP350 at Longreach $79, with other supplies at home I have powder to last till end of next year now, the AS50N works very nice in the 9mm....
Salty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 14 May 2022, 5:56 pm

Wonder when ADI will make another batch of AR2205, hopefully this year.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 14 May 2022, 9:30 pm

ADI are at maximum capacity (and maximum profit) making rifle powders and sending them to the US to be sold under the Hogdon brand.
They have no interest in diverting resources to less profitable product lines until that rifle demand eases off, that's why they say they're 'hoping to' produce 2205 this year and not that 'they will'

If rifle powder demand in the US stays high for 5 years and then eases off, that's when we'll see 2205 again and it's also when they'll re-start development of pistol and shotgun powders
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 14 May 2022, 10:23 pm

To be honest, a batch of 2205 would be a pretty good earner for ADI at the moment.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 15 May 2022, 9:07 am

So would any type of pistol or shotgun powder but to make it they'd have to free up manufacturing resources by reducing their very profitable rifle powder production for the export market.

They've done the calculations and with prices and profit margins as they currently stand in the USA nothing else is going to be made by ADI for 'the forseable future' as they put it.

There is apparently another batch of Alliant due later this year but the last one didn't arrive so who knows and Tigershark Ballistics are looking to stark importing fast powder from europe, understandable as nobody will be buying their projectiles if there's no powder to use with them. Hopefully that goes well and happens this year.

A few 'middle of nowhere' stores might have some fast powder left but for us city dwellers we have to make our current stocks last, maybe for a couple more years.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 May 2022, 11:13 am

rc42 wrote:So would any type of pistol or shotgun powder but to make it they'd have to free up manufacturing resources by reducing their very profitable rifle powder production for the export market.

They've done the calculations and with prices and profit margins as they currently stand in the USA nothing else is going to be made by ADI for 'the forseable future' as they put it.

There is apparently another batch of Alliant due later this year but the last one didn't arrive so who knows and Tigershark Ballistics are looking to stark importing fast powder from europe, understandable as nobody will be buying their projectiles if there's no powder to use with them. Hopefully that goes well and happens this year.

A few 'middle of nowhere' stores might have some fast powder left but for us city dwellers we have to make our current stocks last, maybe for a couple more years.

It's nice to have reports from somebody that actually works in ADI's accounting department.
The fast powders are manufactured on a different production line from the rifle powders, that's why rifle powders can still be produced.
They know the market is there and if they can get the fast powder production working I'm sure they would do, as any powder manufacturer would want to. It's simply that they haven't been able to yet. I don't think it would cut into their rifle production at all.

Tigershark are trying to bring in a container but if you don't live in Brisbane you won't be seeing any of it.

I had a look at that list of powders my dealer still has.
The Bullseye is the fastest, roughly equating to Trailboss.
Second fastest is the Green Dot, roughly equating to APS450/AS50N.
Third fastest is the AR2205 and is about as slow as you want to go in useful pistol loads.

The RL10x looks fairly useful being roughly in-line with AR2219 and between AR2207 and AR2206H.
The Win748 and RL15/16/19 are mid-range rifle powders, similar to AR2209, the RL23 is similar to AR2217 for larger cartridges with heavier bullets.

I didn't ask for prices since if you have to spend a hundred dollars or more on fuel to come and get it the price of the powder probably won't blow the deal.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 15 May 2022, 4:20 pm

I appreciate the correction from somebody within ADI management teams.
It's good to know that the fast powder producing parts of the plant are just sitting idle and waiting for somebody to switch the power on, hopefully somebody will tell senior management that there's a massive market demand that they just haven't noticed.

Here's me assuming that they had noticed but all of the manufacturing capability was busy with highly profitable exports, I should have realised that no decent executives would ever put their personal bonuses and company share price above the needs of a tiny minority of their customers.

Fortunately, I do live in Brisbane... Come on TigerShark, hurry and get all that paperwork in place, I'm really hoping to never have to buy an ADI product again.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 May 2022, 5:39 pm

rc42 wrote:I appreciate the correction from somebody within ADI management teams.
It's good to know that the fast powder producing parts of the plant are just sitting idle and waiting for somebody to switch the power on, hopefully somebody will tell senior management that there's a massive market demand that they just haven't noticed.

Here's me assuming that they had noticed but all of the manufacturing capability was busy with highly profitable exports, I should have realised that no decent executives would ever put their personal bonuses and company share price above the needs of a tiny minority of their customers.

Fortunately, I do live in Brisbane... Come on TigerShark, hurry and get all that paperwork in place, I'm really hoping to never have to buy an ADI product again.

The fast powder production is idle because it doesn't work...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 15 May 2022, 9:22 pm

rc42 wrote:So would any type of pistol or shotgun powder but to make it they'd have to free up manufacturing resources by reducing their very profitable rifle powder production for the export market.

ADI didnt stop making pistol powders because of overseas market demands, they stopped because the reject rate for batches was through the roof; They essentially got the design of the plant wrong when they built their new setup, they looked into and tried all the easy fixes and none worked. Whole setup needed a re-design and its economically unviable to do that.

2205 is regular old rifle powder, they can actually make a batch of it and know its going to be usable.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by The Shoota » 18 Jun 2022, 7:36 pm

I could still sell a kg of APS450 but it seems pointless to me since I need more small pistol primers for all the powder I have.
If anyone in SEQld can come up with good swap terms I might be interested.
Cheers
The Shoota
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Jun 2022, 4:27 am

Looks like powder is $200/lb according to someone who posted AP70, Unique and Power Pistol on usedguns today, hope ADI don't get to thinking that is the normal price people are willing to pay and price accordingly when (IF) they ever re-enter the market! Cheaper to shoot factory.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers