Buckmaster PB12

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Re: Buckmaster PB12

Post by S O K A R » 31 May 2022, 7:01 pm

TheKid204 wrote:Hi All,

I’ve just picked up one of these myself in the 20” barrel.

I get that everyone will see it differently but I got it purely as a hunting shotgun, for what I want to do with it this one suits pretty well.

Haven’t had a chance to give it a go but will be over the next few days, happy to give a better run down after that.

Bucket of candy & a lap dance in it for you if you feel like putting a couple of vids up on youtube of it in action :lol:
Doesn't seem to be any up yet that I can find
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by dpskipper » 31 May 2022, 9:23 pm

S O K A R wrote:Bucket of candy & a lap dance in it for you if you feel like putting a couple of vids up on youtube of it in action :lol:

Nobody wants a repeat of the Adler fiasco, be mindful what you upload
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheKid204 » 01 Jun 2022, 8:11 am

dpskipper wrote:
S O K A R wrote:Bucket of candy & a lap dance in it for you if you feel like putting a couple of vids up on youtube of it in action :lol:

Hey mate, I took it as a bit of a tongue in cheek post, got a chuckle out of me :lol:

Certainly won’t be any “Adler style” videos uploaded by me.
TheKid204
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 01 Jun 2022, 11:21 am

dpskipper wrote:

100%, hopefully no one does anything silly like that
Just wanted to hear someones thoughts on the button release and what its like to cycle etc
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by TheKid204 » 01 Jun 2022, 3:47 pm

S O K A R wrote:
100%, hopefully no one does anything silly like that
Just wanted to hear someones thoughts on the button release and what its like to cycle etc

Totally understandable, I was the same but was told there would be very little information just yet and was lucky enough to be able to get one while they were in stock.

I’ll be more than happy to give feedback on my experience with it as soon as I’m able to get enough spare time to give it a good go.

For what it’s worth just giving it an external look over and cycling it without cartridges it all works as expected and seems smooth and easy to operate to me.
TheKid204
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 01 Jun 2022, 6:06 pm

Yeah i had a play with one at the local gun shop, I'm amazed at how easy it is to cycle
Expected it to be difficult to push in the button release or atleast have some pressure behind it, but it's easy as pie
Only thing I don't go much on is the plasticy feel, be nice If you could get a wood stock etc
Super light, dragging it through the bush would be a breeze

But being the impulse buyer I am, ended up buying one lol...guess I'm off to submit a pta tomorrow :lol:
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by S O K A R » 02 Jun 2022, 3:34 pm

In case anyone is interested, this is what the walnut version looks like 28in/20in
If you're not overly fond of the "plasticy" feel
Attachments
BM20.jpeg
BM20.jpeg (195.59 KiB) Viewed 9652 times
BM28.jpeg
BM28.jpeg (182.49 KiB) Viewed 9652 times
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by womble » 02 Jun 2022, 3:48 pm

Nice find, looks good
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 02 Jun 2022, 10:37 pm

Spoke to a bloke who shoots ipsc and he knows a few people who have one and haven't had any issues yet. Will have to handle one myself next time I go down to the lgs.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 02 Jun 2022, 11:26 pm

I wasn't overly impressed with the look and feel. I don't think it's up to the standards of the better Turkish guns like Dickinson. It's $1k over priced too.
But if it's the only show in town with this style of action and you can live with its inability to handle light loads then guess it's worth considering.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 03 Jun 2022, 8:12 am

Was shooting one yesterday. I thought it was well built, comfortable and sturdy. Certainly the fastest action out there. There could be issues when a few dills post youtube vids.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by TheKid204 » 03 Jun 2022, 9:31 am

S O K A R wrote:In case anyone is interested, this is what the walnut version looks like 28in/20in
If you're not overly fond of the "plasticy" feel

That looks great.

I got the synthetic as I get to precious when they have a nice timber stock and I wanted this one as a bush gun.

Yeah I was similar, went in to have a look at a straight pull, never even looked at it, ended up choosing between this one and the Bushmeister. Put in PTA that night.
TheKid204
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TheKid204 » 03 Jun 2022, 10:04 am

MontyShooter wrote:I wasn't overly impressed with the look and feel. I don't think it's up to the standards of the better Turkish guns like Dickinson. It's $1k over priced too.
But if it's the only show in town with this style of action and you can live with its inability to handle light loads then guess it's worth considering.

Is this speculation on not being able to work with light loads or have you tried one?

I’m not to worried about light loads for mine but I can’t see why it would be a problem for something like a 7 1/2 clay load once it’s run in.
TheKid204
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 03 Jun 2022, 5:39 pm

TheKid204 wrote:
MontyShooter wrote:I wasn't overly impressed with the look and feel. I don't think it's up to the standards of the better Turkish guns like Dickinson. It's $1k over priced too.

Is this speculation on not being able to work with light loads or have you tried one?

I’m not to worried about light loads for mine but I can’t see why it would be a problem for something like a 7 1/2 clay load once it’s run in.

I remember watching ozzie reviews on the verney carron veloce, with lighter loads he had trouble with it picking up the next shell at times

In a separate review with someone reviewing the bushmeister, they had issues with it not auto ejecting the shell with lighter loads & at times had to manually eject it

So I get where he is coming from with the lighter loads thing, but at this stage its just an assumption until someone can prove otherwise
Keep us updated on how you go with yours
I have a 6 week wait before I can get mine because I decided to go for the walnut version instead of the synthetic
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by TheKid204 » 03 Jun 2022, 5:58 pm

S O K A R wrote:
TheKid204 wrote:

I remember watching ozzie reviews on the verney carron veloce, with lighter loads he had trouble with it picking up the next shell at times

In a separate review with someone reviewing the bushmeister, they had issues with it not auto ejecting the shell with lighter loads & at times had to manually eject it

So I get where he is coming from with the lighter loads thing, but at this stage its just an assumption until someone can prove otherwise
Keep us updated on how you go with yours
I have a 6 week wait before I can get mine because I decided to go for the walnut version instead of the synthetic

Yeah I can understand that.

I have watched the Bushmeister one but I didn’t realise the verney also had issues.

I believe the Bushmeister is inertia operated so I figured that’s was probably why it struggled with lighter loads.

Will be keen to see, I’ve got mainly #2 shot and AAA loads for it but have some 6 & 7-1/2 shot as well I can give it a go.

Bummer that it will be a 6 week wait but that timber stock does look nice.
TheKid204
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 03 Jun 2022, 7:20 pm

S O K A R wrote:I remember watching ozzie reviews on the verney carron veloce, with lighter loads he had trouble with it picking up the next shell at times

light loads no problems. Still won't outshoot a triple though.

https://youtu.be/K_V-08DkCq8
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TheKid204 » 26 Jun 2022, 4:18 pm

So far I've only managed to put a box of 34 gram shells through the Buckmaster. I got the 20 inch synthetic version with the ghost ring sights.

To answer a few of the earlier questions, it's gas operated and has a 5 shot capacity in magazine (5+1).

I've had no experience with tubular magazines before but this one loads and unloads smoothly and easily as far as I'm concerned.

The ghost ring sights were very easy to get on target and so far seem like a good option for a hunting gun. The 5 chokes are handy and I've tried a few for patterning, at the moment will be just running full choke.

Had one minor hiccup with cycling, one loaded cartridge bounced out of ejection port on cycling. Haven't found any issue to explain it, thinking at this stage it's just a teething problem but will run a few more boxes through it and keep an eye on it. So far no jams or failure to fire. Haven't tried clay loads yet, just the field loads.

I was most concerned about stripping the shotgun down for cleaning but after having done it a couple of times its a piece of cake.

This shotgun is as close to ideal as I can currently get for what I want it for. So far I'm impressed, well done to those involved in getting this shotgun built and available.
TheKid204
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 26 Jun 2022, 7:46 pm

TheKid204 wrote:So far I've only managed to put a box of 34 gram shells through the Buckmaster. I got the 20 inch synthetic version with the ghost ring sights.

To answer a few of the earlier questions, it's gas operated and has a 5 shot capacity in magazine (5+1).

I've had no experience with tubular magazines before but this one loads and unloads smoothly and easily as far as I'm concerned.

The ghost ring sights were very easy to get on target and so far seem like a good option for a hunting gun. The 5 chokes are handy and I've tried a few for patterning, at the moment will be just running full choke.

Had one minor hiccup with cycling, one loaded cartridge bounced out of ejection port on cycling. Haven't found any issue to explain it, thinking at this stage it's just a teething problem but will run a few more boxes through it and keep an eye on it. So far no jams or failure to fire. Haven't tried clay loads yet, just the field loads.

I was most concerned about stripping the shotgun down for cleaning but after having done it a couple of times its a piece of cake.

This shotgun is as close to ideal as I can currently get for what I want it for. So far I'm impressed, well done to those involved in getting this shotgun built and available.

Good to hear. I'll find out when the wood one is available at the LGS.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by womble » 27 Jun 2022, 4:15 am

Well that gives a whole new meaning to delayed blowback.
Would explain the asking price.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 30 Jun 2022, 8:39 pm

I'm also keen on the wood stocked version, but with ozzie's problem with his verney carron's fore-end cracking, maybe the synthetic might be a better choice?
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 30 Jun 2022, 10:03 pm

My mates verney carron is still going great but I'd get the barrel cerakoted as the bluing is wearing off.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Rod M » 11 Jul 2022, 6:13 pm

TheKid204 wrote:I was most concerned about stripping the shotgun down for cleaning but after having done it a couple of times its a piece of cake.

have you removed the rear stock? I picked one up today at my LGS and did not like the feel of the stock,

hopefully it is based on a common platform so can take aftermarket stocks,
Rod M
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by big matt » 21 Jul 2022, 2:05 pm

MontyShooter wrote:I prefer the button location on the bushmeister

me too...
big matt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 27 Aug 2022, 6:54 pm

Has anyone ran some 3" shells through theirs yet?
If you have, is your for end still intact? (assuming you have the walnut model of course)
After seeing the issue ozzie reviews had with the veloce running heavier shells, slightly hesitant to do so...
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Slidebite » 02 Sep 2022, 4:32 pm

I’ve been tinkering with a 20” synthetic model and quite like it, although the stock feels like typical cheap turkish quality and the bolt face looks like it was finished with a hand file.

First thing I did was put blue loctite on the pic rail screw (there’s only one holding it to the dovetail) and front sight screw.

Bought a S&J hardware turkish to 870 stock adapter and fitted a magpul 870 sga stock. Feels 100 times better now. Also found the original charging handle quite sharp so I swapped it out for an extended charging handle from a F12 Typhoon semi auto fits perfectly and feels much nicer.

Taking it out for it’s first run tomorrow. I’ve got slugs, buckshot, no. 4’s and 7.5’s to run through it. Should be a good variety of ammo to test it’s function.
Attachments
718B96B0-242C-4E15-8F7A-C9D28D7A875A.jpeg
718B96B0-242C-4E15-8F7A-C9D28D7A875A.jpeg (347.92 KiB) Viewed 6330 times
F4C29844-CFB2-48EB-BFF1-53B57503DA1B.jpeg
F4C29844-CFB2-48EB-BFF1-53B57503DA1B.jpeg (416.92 KiB) Viewed 6330 times
Slidebite
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rod M » 05 Sep 2022, 10:41 pm

Slidebite wrote:I’ve been tinkering with a 20” synthetic model and quite like it, although the stock feels like typical cheap turkish quality and the bolt face looks like it was finished with a hand file.

First thing I did was put blue loctite on the pic rail screw (there’s only one holding it to the dovetail) and front sight screw.

Bought a S&J hardware turkish to 870 stock adapter and fitted a magpul 870 sga stock. Feels 100 times better now. Also found the original charging handle quite sharp so I swapped it out for an extended charging handle from a F12 Typhoon semi auto fits perfectly and feels much nicer.

Taking it out for it’s first run tomorrow. I’ve got slugs, buckshot, no. 4’s and 7.5’s to run through it. Should be a good variety of ammo to test it’s function.

where did you get the stock adaptor from?
Rod M
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by mchughcb » 06 Sep 2022, 7:58 am

Nicely done.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Tomotron » 07 Sep 2022, 2:08 pm

Iceng does a mag extension for the PB12 since it's Cat A.
https://shop.iceng.com.au/buckmaster-pb ... ension-kit
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by TheKid204 » 07 Sep 2022, 9:15 pm

Tomotron wrote:Iceng does a mag extension for the PB12 since it's Cat A.

Careful with state rules, I believe in NSW for example this would not be legal and require a prohibited weapon permit (aka no chance).
TheKid204
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 07 Sep 2022, 9:24 pm

TheKid204 wrote:
Tomotron wrote:Iceng does a mag extension for the PB12 since it's Cat A.

Careful with state rules, I believe in NSW for example this would not be legal and require a prohibited weapon permit (aka no chance).

I know here in tas according to the act there is technically no limit for cat A, but apparently tas pol have a policy in place that limits capacity to 25 rounds.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.